PDA

View Full Version : Top-down NON raglan sweater???

maxmom
06-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Any one know of a pattern for a top-down sweater knitted in the round that is NOT a raglan? I love top-down sweaters in the round because I love the fact that there are little to no seams. But, I'd like to knit something other than a raglan. Any ideas? Is this even possible?

suzeeq
06-18-2007, 02:45 PM
Knit and Tonic's Sahara is top down with set in sleeve long, short or no sleeves.

sue

Yarn Doc
06-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Elizabeth Zimmerman has some set-in sleeve pattern too that are knit in the round.

mwedzi
06-19-2007, 07:38 AM
If you want to knit something in the round but not a raglan, lots of those are knit from the bottom up, too.

JoeE
06-19-2007, 10:16 AM
I bought Barbara Walker's "Knitting From the Top" yesterday. I haven't knit anything from it yet (maybe I'll never get the courage), but she has plans for lots of different styles. I wouldn't call them patterns, per se, though. Her style is more like Elizabeth Zimmerman, so she tells you how to basically design your own garment.

She has plans for a drop shoulder, modified drop shoulder, sleeveless vest, set in sleeves, and saddle sleeves (and probably a few more I can't think of off the top of my head).

Joe

Braden
06-19-2007, 12:32 PM
I answered your other thread:

The only ones I know of are saddle-shoulder, but I can help you convert a bottom-up seamless yoke sweater to be knit from the top down:

Since a seamless yoke sweater normally has 3 decrease rounds, a seamless yoke sweater would have 3 increase rounds. You would cast on for your neckband, knit that, increase for the shoulders, then knit a few rounds, then begin knitting the front back and forth for the desired sleeve depth, the back for the desired sleeve depth, and then you cast on your sleeve stitches to match the top number, join in the round, and then you work the increase rounds evenly spaced, working K1, K2tog all the way around. Then, you knit the body down to the desired length, and then pick up and knit the sleeves, working decrease rounds at the same rate as the yoke until you have 33% of the total body stitches, and then you're done.

For a gansey sweater, what you would do is cast on for the neck, increase for the shoulders, then knit the front back and forth, and then the back, just like the other, but in this one there are no increase rounds. Afterwards, you would then cast on the same number of sleeve stitches for the top, and then join your work in the round, and knit the body down to the sleeve ribbing, and then pick up the sleeve stitches, and knit those, working decrease rounds of 2 stitches every 5th round until you have 33% of the number of your body stitches.

Those are kind of "quick and dirty" directions based on about a half hour of browsing top down raglans, and then EZ's bottom up seamless yoke and converting then. They may not be meticulous in detail, but that's just the general idea. I had absolutely no luck finding a pattern, but...