PDA

View Full Version : Real Men Knit

rorygilmore
06-18-2007, 10:55 PM
I don't know if anyone has seen this but I thought it was really cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jYa_rJyG18

rorygilmore
06-18-2007, 11:01 PM
I found this one too but the hosts are stupid. Hello these guys are crocheting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od7ceqslXO8

Silver
06-18-2007, 11:06 PM
Loved the first one, the second one was painful. LOL!

I SO wish my husband would show the slightest bit of interest in learning. Men who knit are HOT!

JoeE
06-19-2007, 11:01 AM
I bought the DVD. It's great!

Joe

debinoz
06-19-2007, 12:32 PM
I kept wanting to smack the announcers on that second one.....

Leah22b
06-19-2007, 12:33 PM
This one is pretty good as well.

Check out The Manly Art of Knitting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfYpBqMgol4&mode=related&search=

madametj
06-19-2007, 12:35 PM
"what these men do is crochet. They are closet knitters."

:??:doh::rollseyes:

Nana
06-19-2007, 10:34 PM
My grandson Sam, is showing great interest in learning to knit (he's four) I think he marvels at what Nana can make for him with a peice of string and two sticks. I always let him try, and he loves it. I hope he still shows interest in the future.

Knitting_Guy
06-19-2007, 10:41 PM
I've been meaning to order that DVD but have just never got around to it.

nonny2t
06-20-2007, 09:05 AM
How wonderful! I loved watching it. I wish more men would knit.

scubasinger
06-20-2007, 10:17 AM
As a new-ish guy knitter, I think one of the turn-offs for guys exploring the possibility is the lack of patterns and pattern promotion for 'guy things'. Case in point: I've been getting the 'pattern of the day' from epatterns-central.com for about 2 months now. I have yet to see a single thing for a man.

Someone will post that a new knitting e-magazine is out with great patterns. I'll quickly click over to find lace shawls, purses, etc.

Recently on another post Knitting Guy was looking for belt patterns...quite a few suggestions but most of them decidedly non-masculine.

Or look at available sock yarns and notice the color schemes: How many fit well enough into the masculine profile that a guy could wear them with a business suit or even dress-casual.

Now don't get me wrong, I am NOT Mr. Rambo. I'm a gay man and not afraid of my 'feminine side' (whatever THAT may be (grin!)). But I dress within what would be considered 'male parameters'. I don't have any interest in wearing 'girly' things.

Personally, I dream of getting to the day in my knitting where I can design patterns. But until that point, I'd encourage all of you who currently knit and design to give equal time to the 'boy side' of things. Knitting is great hobby, but it can become really frustrating for a guy trying to knit for himself.

Please don't read any of this as insulting to the female side of knitting. Many of the things are beautiful, as are the women who wear them. But I'm a guy and I wanna knit and wear guy things.

Okay, enough of my rant. I appreciate all of you greatly. This site is my #1 go-to place to get my questions answered.

Vic

feministmama
06-20-2007, 12:01 PM
Well said scubasinger. I think knitting should be appreciated by ALL people. Not only has knitting been denigrated as a "woman's" art but saying things are for either women or men limits us all. We need more people to publically cross those boundaries and make it acceptable for everyone to appreciate all skills for everyone. :cheering:

crazycatlady
06-20-2007, 01:08 PM
Speaking of patterns for men, looks like there will be a male-oriented Stitch'nN Bitch book coming out in the fall: http://www.helloyarn.com/wp/?p=467

ironmaiden
06-20-2007, 01:09 PM
That was awesome. TFS

ironmaiden
06-20-2007, 01:14 PM
As a new-ish guy knitter, I think one of the turn-offs for guys exploring the possibility is the lack of patterns and pattern promotion for 'guy things'. Case in point: I've been getting the 'pattern of the day' from epatterns-central.com for about 2 months now. I have yet to see a single thing for a man.

Someone will post that a new knitting e-magazine is out with great patterns. I'll quickly click over to find lace shawls, purses, etc.

Recently on another post Knitting Guy was looking for belt patterns...quite a few suggestions but most of them decidedly non-masculine.

Or look at available sock yarns and notice the color schemes: How many fit well enough into the masculine profile that a guy could wear them with a business suit or even dress-casual.

Now don't get me wrong, I am NOT Mr. Rambo. I'm a gay man and not afraid of my 'feminine side' (whatever THAT may be (grin!)). But I dress within what would be considered 'male parameters'. I don't have any interest in wearing 'girly' things.

Personally, I dream of getting to the day in my knitting where I can design patterns. But until that point, I'd encourage all of you who currently knit and design to give equal time to the 'boy side' of things. Knitting is great hobby, but it can become really frustrating for a guy trying to knit for himself.

Please don't read any of this as insulting to the female side of knitting. Many of the things are beautiful, as are the women who wear them. But I'm a guy and I wanna knit and wear guy things.

Okay, enough of my rant. I appreciate all of you greatly. This site is my #1 go-to place to get my questions answered.

Vic

I can imagine that would be really frustrating. Even as a woman there are a lot of patterns out there, most of them really, that don't appeal to me at all -- too girly.

Jeremy
06-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Interesting point. I actually haven't knit much for myself. I tend to knit things that are interesting to knit without taking into account who is going to wear them. Eg. the purchase I'm most excited about lately is the Victorian lace book that just came out. I want to knit lace because I'm interested in it and when I've done it I have a sense of pride about the craftsmanship. I've enjoyed knitting booga bags, other felted purses and shawls for that reason. Some of the other male knitters that I know feel the same way. One told me that he never knits sweaters for himself but likes to knit them for his nieces.

BTW. This thread somehow reminded me of my days as a nurse. Patients would say "Oh you're a male nurse" as if I had had some different kind of training. Or they would say "Do you know so and so? He's a male nurse too" Like we all got together every month to go over our adventures as male nurses.

Jan in CA
06-20-2007, 02:44 PM
BTW. This thread somehow reminded me of my days as a nurse. Patients would say "Oh you're a male nurse" as if I had had some different kind of training. Or they would say "Do you know so and so? He's a male nurse too" Like we all got together every month to go over our adventures as male nurses.

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

feministmama
06-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Speaking of patterns for men, looks like there will be a male-oriented Stitch'nN Bitch book coming out in the fall: http://www.helloyarn.com/wp/?p=467

COOL! Can't wait till that comes out :cheering:

Stiney
06-20-2007, 03:57 PM

:teehee: I know what you mean. I think it's great that guys knit, but I generally don't post to new guy knitters saying "WOW you're a guy knitter that's great!" because I don't also post to new female knitters saying "WOW you're a female knitter that's great!"

Skater
06-20-2007, 04:01 PM
I agree with the boy who says, "When I started knitting, I didn't think it would be so fun."

"I've met a lot of grandmothers who are very curious...I think first they check if I'm really a boy and then they're curious about what I'm actually knitting" the one man says in the first video. :teehee:
I love the Irish music in the background.

Jeremy
06-20-2007, 04:37 PM
COOL! Can't wait till that comes out :cheering:

Femmy does your son still knit?

Mariblue
06-20-2007, 05:01 PM
"what these men do is crochet. They are closet knitters."

:??:doh::rollseyes:
:?? I totally agree! The announcers were using Knitting and Crochet like they are interchangeable terms.

Aliann
06-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Any man that can knit is a man after my own heart. Keep up the good work guys.:inlove:

Kaydee
06-20-2007, 06:26 PM
:?? I totally agree! The announcers were using Knitting and Crochet like they are interchangeable terms.

I thought that was so weird. They kept saying knitting but the men wern't knitting:??:shrug: I liked the first video though.

Knitting_Guy
06-20-2007, 07:30 PM

I look forward to it.

Lisa_H-Town
06-20-2007, 08:03 PM
Hey... I knit while I watch football too... which according to one of the guys is "manly"... see, stereotypes.... I love sports!:cheering: And get strange looks for that as well.