PDA

View Full Version : I'm FINALLY going to touch Malabrigo!!!!

ready2knit
06-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Ever since I found this site, I've heard about Malabrigo yarn. It seems that daily someone gets their hands on some. I've read, with severe yarn envy, about how soft it is, about the beautiful colors. I've looked longingly at the completed projects posted. I've felt like the kid with her nose pressed up against the glass at the candy store.

Well NO MORE!!!!! My LYS has just started carrying Malabrigo!!!! :happydancing: Now, I must say that part of this is because I've talked about it so much because of all of you. The owner had seen it and liked it herself and thought it would be a good addition. As luck would have it, the yarn came in while we were on vacation, and I had to wait even longer. So today is the day!! (the shop is closed on Mondays) I'm going to finally feel and see this yarn that you all rave about. I'm hoping my wallet can take it.

I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am! :woot:

I know this is the only place that people can even begin to understand my glee. I can't wait to post when I get home.

Jana

Chel
06-19-2007, 11:03 AM
WHERE ARE YOU? Where is this shop? I got my Malabrigo on vacation in Ohio. But I live in Maryland where there is no Malabrigo to be found.... at least not in stock...ever.:pout:

I may have to move.:verysad:

ready2knit
06-19-2007, 12:36 PM
I'm in Iowa. Have you gone to the Malabrigo site to see where there's a store near you?

dakatzmeow
06-19-2007, 12:57 PM
i'm not lucky enough to have it in a LYS, but i just found out yesterday, my order shipped from chez casuelle. malabrigo for $7.95! (chunky thick/thin) so i too, will soon have my hands on some mmmmmalabrigo!!!!!!!!!

Chel
06-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Yeah, but no one ever carries it. Malabrigo just thinks they do. Meanies.

Stiney
06-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Have you asked any of your lys to carry it? I asked, but they already had a shipment on the way. You could always show them your malabrigo/malabrigo FO as an example, and then direct them to the website. "SEE? It's THIS soft, and the colors are SO beautiful!" :teehee:

Ingrid
06-19-2007, 03:53 PM
When I first saw Malabrigo all wrapped up in a skein, I wasn't all that impressed. It's so tightly wound up, and tied with knotted yarn, it's hard to know how soft it is.

Now, once you knit with it, however. . . . THEN you see the light!

Braden
06-19-2007, 03:58 PM
I agree with Ingrid, I didn't think I would like it at first, but then I knit with it, and the rest is history ;)

Momto G B and H
06-19-2007, 04:56 PM
I thought I'd died and gone to Heaven when my first skeins arrived.
Wow.
I've bought several skeins from E-bay. At not bad prices too.

dakatzmeow
06-19-2007, 08:12 PM
:inlove:i can't wait for mine to get here.:inlove:

i'm going to knit a scarf and matching mittens. then we'll see what is left over.

Doodknitwit
06-19-2007, 08:35 PM
wow it is so awesome to knit with...................................

brendajos
06-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Jana where in Iowa are you? My mother is starting to rumble about taking another girls trip to do some crafty shopping so I am always happy to find another store that has Malabrigo while shopping (yes i am being greedy...my store hasn't restocked much since they are moving soon! :!!!:)

ready2knit
06-20-2007, 12:47 AM
I bought some Malabrigo today!!!!!! I bought two skeins of worsted weight in "lettuce." It has the most beautiful hues of green you've ever seen. And soft?? Let me just tell you- HEAVEN!

I found a pattern from Art Yarns and am making a "Diamond Modular" scarf. I will upload the pix when I've cmpleted it.

Brenda, I'm in the Des Moines area- pretty much dead center of the state. We're originally from out east, but hubby's job has brought us here. (can you say fish out of water?????)

I grew up outside of NYC in north Jersey, so this has been quite a culture shock.

MY LYS is the only store in the area that carries Malabrigo. If you end up coming this way I can give you the specifics.

Jana

brendajos
06-20-2007, 12:58 AM
aaah Lettuce is one of my favorite shades. I have a gorgeous water green color too that i need to find a good use for but lettuce is a lovely shade.

Is it The Pink House or Purls that has the Malabrigo?

mel.b
06-20-2007, 05:11 AM
I too, can't wait to get my hands on some Malabrigo. Mine is currently winging it's way here from the US and hopefully i'll have it in a week or so :)

Mel.b

Stiney
06-20-2007, 09:51 AM
I grew up outside of NYC in north Jersey, so this has been quite a culture shock.

:teehee: And people from the Midwest laugh at me when I say I'm scared of the Midwest. I'll stick to the coasts. :rofl:

(Of course, it's a different kinda scary being a Yankees fan in Boston. :teehee:)

brendajos
06-20-2007, 10:15 AM
You know I have lived in both the midwest and on the east coast. I would say that many people from the midwest would find the east coast scary too. The truth is that if you are open minded, neither place is scary.

Stiney
06-20-2007, 10:18 AM
You know I have lived in both the midwest and on the east coast. I would say that many people from the midwest would find the east coast scary too. The truth is that if you are open minded, neither place is scary.

I should have been clearer that I was joking. :hug:

ready2knit
06-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Brenda, the store is called Knitted Together in West Des Moines, it's been open about a year. Purls is listed on Malabrigo's site, but they don't carry it. The Pink House does alot of Plymouth yarns, not too many higher end.

Stiney, as for the whole east coast/midwest thing, I know you were kidding, but a lot of it is true. We moved here about 3 1/2 yrs ago for DH's job. I'd always thought that life existed on the east coast- because really you've got everything within driving distance. I thought people vacationed on the west coast, but thought no one really lived in the middle of the country... the food just came from there! Since moving here we've made a point of taking the kids to Chicago, Minneapolis, Kansas City, Omaha, St Louis, and for the 4th we're going to Mt Rushmore.

It's a different life here- very layed back (which everyone thinks has been good for me since I'm so highstrung!) All that being said, the one thing I don't miss from the east is the traffic! DH' commute to downtown is 15 mins by car- 25 if there's construction. In PA he had a 45 min commute each way on the PA turnpike (without traffic/construction)

brendajos
06-20-2007, 05:11 PM
oooh that one i hadn't heard of. hrmm. i like Purls a lot though they don't have a huge selection. I like the vibe there. Didn't think much of The Pink House even though it has gotten such great reviews. I just wasn't that impressed with the selection.

My mother is wanting to go back to that mall that isn't terribly far from Purls (i can't remember the name of it right now but it seemed like a nice one, what i saw of it anyway) and i am pretty sure the cross stitch store she liked in Urbandale. I have a feeling the hinting is going to start kicking into overdrive soon...lol. Will have to look into the one you mentioned to see what they have! :thumbsup:

Leleluvsblue
06-20-2007, 05:44 PM
MarylandCrazy for Ewe

22715 Washington St.
Leonardtown, MD 20650
301 475 2744
The Yarn Garden
2303 Forest Drive
Annapolis, MD 21401
410 224 2033
Woolworks
6117 Falls Rd
Baltimore, MD 21209
410 377 2060
Y2knit
100 E. Baltimore St
Funkstown, MD 21734
301 766 4543
Frivolous Fibers
112 N. Talbot St.
St. Michaels, MD 21663
(410) 745-6580
Lovelyarns
828 W. 36th Street
Baltimore, MD 21211
410 662 9276
Now & Then
6927 Laurel Ave.
Takoma Park, MD 20912
301 270 2210
The Tangled Skein
3314 Rosemary Lane
Hyattesville MD 20781
301 927 3796

Hope this listing helps

ready2knit
06-20-2007, 05:45 PM
Brenda, where are you located? Are you referring to the "new" mall in West Des Moines? Knitted Together is across the street from Jordan Creek Mall (the new mall) it's on the west side of Jordan Creek Pkwy (74th)

I haven't been to the cross stitch place in Urbandale. I've heard they have very strange hours- very hit or miss.

Regarding Knitted Together, it's a great shop. The service is like nothing you've ever experienced. The owner and her main employee are such accomplished knitters, and always willing to sit and help. I only shop there. I've been going since they opened, so I'm quite loyal. Let me know what you think of it if you get around to going.

brendajos
06-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Yes!! i am nearly positive that's the one. well that's exciting that it is across the street. that might help her case then...lol

I live in Omaha, my mother lives about and hour east of Sioux City.

ready2knit
06-21-2007, 12:10 AM
Do you ever go to String of Purls? I've heard it's a good shop in the Omaha area.

brendajos
06-21-2007, 12:18 AM
String of Purls is my favorite LYS because it is just so comfy and fun. Personal Threads probably has a better selection of good yarns, not so much with the novelty yarns as String of Purls. Personal Threads is super tiny small right now though. They are moving into a new space soon and it is going to be GINORMOUS compared to what they have now. Right now if they have more than 2 people shopping in there it is just too close together with the people who work there too. They have TON of yarn but it is somewhat claustrophobic. They do have a good supply of Malabrigo most of the time though. These good people did wipe them out pretty well during their clearance sale and because of the move they didn't restock as much as they usually do.

We have a third store too which is where I learned to knit. Touche. Small, nice place, nice lady but selection isn't HUGE. Definitely nice place to visit.

as it is, String of Purls is always my first choice in stores here .... very friendly and just a happy place. :D

Nobones
06-21-2007, 06:27 AM
Could someone please post a photo of this sacred yarn, or a FP in the yarn? Just want to see what I'm missing! You all seem to be drooling over this yarn! :teehee:

brendajos
06-21-2007, 08:22 AM
Here is a soaker I made in the malabrigo.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/brendajos/Knitted%20Stuff/CroppedPants.jpg

and a danica scarf :)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/brendajos/Knitted%20Stuff/BarneyScarf3.jpg

ironmaiden
06-21-2007, 08:27 AM
Some Malabrigo (in Water Green and Bobby Blue):

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f246/kbrengle/Hpim1351.jpg

And a little cabled beanie in the blue:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f246/kbrengle/Hpim1358.jpg

I need more - I only bought the two skeins bc I was broke lol.