PDA

View Full Version : - "Yarning"

letah75
06-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Hi all,

Just thought this was cute and I'd share. My BF's son who is 6 years old was hanging out with some of the neighborhood kids last weekend. The boys were all playing video games, and I was on the sofa with my neighbor's daughter showing her how to knit.

My BF's son looked up and said in a very indignant tone, "HEY! How come you guys get to do that?!? I wanna yarn too!!!!" Then he promptly got distracted by the video game.

For the next to days he would ask (always at the most inconvient time). "Can you teach me yarning now?" or "Can we stick now...I mean can we stick and string now?!?"

Well this weekend his dad was taking a nap and I was cooking dinner, with the 6 year old's help. While dinner was on the stove, and we had some time, he again asked, "Please can we do yarning now?" So I showed him how to knit. For a 6 year old, he was actually pretty good.

When his dad woke up, Junior told him "I cooked dinner and yarned a lot!" Dad just shook his head and muttered, "My boy, hunh, my boy is cooking a knitting." Then he looked at me and said, "Well, I guess he'll be able to feed himself and make his own socks when he grows up." :roflhard:

Then added, "How do you get all of the kids you know to do everything you do? I think you're their pied piper." Because according to him all of the neighborhood kids do anything and everything I do, and they always want to help me. He says he's never seen such helpful kids....including his son, who apparently has never wanted to cook or water plants as much as he does at my house.

iza
06-19-2007, 01:44 PM
AWWW what a cute story!!! Kids are so curious, all they need is to find somebody patient enough to teach them everything they want to learn! Good work! :cheering:

Julie
06-19-2007, 11:47 PM
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My friend's DD calls it "yarning" too...but she's always telling her momma to "stop yarning!!" :teehee:

DianaM
06-19-2007, 11:52 PM
Hehe, cute story.

My bf, back when we were just friends, once referred to my knitting and crocheting as 'yarning'. He now knows the difference, but I still get a kick out of it and even named my craft blog that way :teehee: