PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on adding a border

kellyh57
06-19-2007, 02:32 PM
So, I'm "finished" with the Tilting Blocks afghan. (http://arabianknitsfree.blogspot.com/2006/08/tilting-blocks-baby-blanket.html) It's for a friend of mine. She wasn't sure of the baby's gender until I had already begun (and I had the yellow yarn in my stash) so I started it and added the lavender when I found out it was a girl. Anyway. I had always planned on adding a border to it with the girlish or boyish color. I have a bunch of leftover lavender so I still can do it. I bought Nicky Epstein's "Knitting on the Edge" so I've got a ton of patterns. I just need some opinions. Should I add an edge and if so, what kind? (Lacy, ribbing, fringe?) I'm not a big fan of the knotted fringe because it seems to unravel on blankets rather quickly when they are used and washed a lot. If you have the book and have a specific pattern in mind, that'd be great, but any advice would be helpful. I keep paging through the 350 patterns and getting overwhelmed!

The picture makes it look a little darker than it is. It's a pale (lemon) yellow and light lavender. It measures 30" x 33". It has a garter stitch border.

Kelly

ArtLady1981
06-20-2007, 01:53 AM
No Border! It is beautiful JUST AS IT IS!!! :happydance:

Braden
06-20-2007, 01:56 AM
I agree!

suzeeq
06-20-2007, 08:48 AM
The pattern already has a border - the 8 garter stitch rows at each end and 4 sts in garter on each side.

sue

Susan P.
06-20-2007, 08:58 AM
I was about to post the same as sue..it has a border! :-)

nonny2t
06-20-2007, 09:00 AM
I wouldn't add anything to it. I think it is exquisite the way it is and might cheapen it if you add anything else. Let the beauty as it is shine!!!:inlove:

kellyh57
06-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Well, gee. I guess that settles it! Now I just need to sew in the ends.

I really thought I'd use more yarn than I did, so I have a ton leftover. I'll make a few little things and then maybe another blankie to donate to the children's hospital....(too girly for my boy!)

Thanks for your help!

Kelly

suzeeq
06-20-2007, 12:42 PM
You could make a matching sweater, hat and booties with the leftovers....

sue

kellyh57
06-20-2007, 03:00 PM
I haven't gone into the realm of sweaters....yet. I may try the hat or booties. I'll peek around a few websites for ideas. If I can find a super simple baby sweater, I may give it a go :)

Kelly

suzeeq
06-20-2007, 10:59 PM
Nothing easier than the 5 hour baby sweater, also know as the Quick baby sweater. It's a top down cardigan and can be made in girl or boy version (bobble and lace, or not).

sue

zip
06-21-2007, 12:36 AM
I'm gonna dissent from popular opinion and suggest adding some lavender to the border so as to soften the color differences.

ADAllen
06-21-2007, 08:40 AM
I like the idea of a lavender border too. I think it would add unity to the whole thing. If it were mine I wouldn't make it lacy though. I think lacy would take away from the fun block pattern you made with the yellow.