PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!

snephenie
06-19-2007, 08:56 PM
I just can't seem to get the hang out it...

Even Shandeh sent me a spindle with it already started and I can't do it!!!

Throw every peice of information,video you can think of!!!

I want to pull my hair out! (and I'd have to throw it away cause I can't spin it!!!!!)

Silver
06-19-2007, 09:17 PM
The single most important thing to successful spinning is a well prepared fiber. If you're having trouble drafting, take a few minutes and PRE draft your fiber. Pull it apart ever so gently to loosen the fibers so that they're ready to be pulled just a bit more and spun.

If this isn't your problem, explain just what you are having trouble with. I'll try to help!!

Doodknitwit
06-19-2007, 09:39 PM
love the jello by line!!

Secksiebrat
06-19-2007, 09:50 PM
I don't have any words of wisdom since I've never spun, but hang in there. I hope you can get the hang of it. One day I will have the confidence to try it. It intimidates me, just like cableing does!!!!

~danielle~

snephenie
06-21-2007, 01:47 AM
Silver, I have pre drafted the fiber...I dont think that is the issue...

I can't even connect the ladder yarn...I've watched the you tube videos and I just cant seem to even be able to attach it the right way!!!

midnightskyfibers
06-21-2007, 02:40 AM
Are you trying to spin on a top or bottom spindle? That can make a huge difference (I prefer top for teaching), so maybe try another spindle.

Re: attaching the leader- tie a slip knot and pull it tight over the shaft (long part) of the spindle. A slip knot sometimes can be pulled tighter than a knot so it won't slip around as much as you try and get started. I prefer to use a wool yarn as a leader and to fray the ends. Don't worry if the first bit you spin wants to become unattached, just tie it on if you need to and keep spinning (ok so maybe you lose an inch or yarn or so, but hey if it reduces frustration!).

snephenie
06-21-2007, 11:57 AM
It's a bottom one...

I've tried the slip knot...

The one video (its about 7 minutes)doesn't have a hook at the top of her spindle and she says she gives it a flick....

I do that and my spindle spins....but the yarn doesnt move...

jeanius80
06-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Hope this helps....

MAKE A SLIP KNOT ON ONE END AND SLIP IT TO THE BIT OF DOWEL BELOW THE CD.
PULL SNUG, THEN BRING YARN OVER THE CD AND TWIST IT AROUND YOUR SHAFT, SLIPPING THE TOP END OF THE YARN THROUGH THE HOOK ON TOP.
I ADD A SLIP KNOT HERE TOO.
SPIN YOUR SPINDLE TO GIVE YOUR LEADER YARN AN OVER SPUN TWIST.
GRAB YOUR WOOL, PINCH IT IN YOUR FINGERS WITH THE TWISTED YARN AND LET THE TWIST MOVE UP THE WOOL. KEEP SPINNGIN YOUR SPINDLE AND LETTING THE WOOL SLIP BETWEEN YOUR FINGERS, LETTING THE TWIST MOVE UP THE FIBERS.
WHEN IT GETS TOO LONG TO KEEP SPINNING, STOP, UNHOOK YOUR YARN.
WRAP THE LEADER AND YOUR NEW SPUN YARN AROUND THE SHAFT, LEAVING ENOUGH OF YOUR SPUN YARN TO WRAP UP THE SHAFT LIKE YOU DID WITH YOUR LEADER YARN.
JUST KEEP REPEATING UNTIL YOU RUN OUT OF WOOL! :)

(SORRY FOR THE CAPS! :pout: dd is helping ... )

wanted to add, i didn't know you have to stop and wrap your yarn by hand, i though somehow it just ended up around the shaft. that was a big 'ahh ha' moment for me :mrgreen:

snephenie
06-21-2007, 03:51 PM
That helps soooooo much!! I'll try when I get home.

hummingbird
06-21-2007, 04:23 PM
Let me know if this sounds easy.
When I use a drop spindle I don't use a leader yarn. If you take the end of your fiber in one hand and fold the end over it makes a loop. Slip that loop on the hook on the spindle and give the spindle a spin. Then let some of that twist into more of the fiber. When its long enough wrap that around the shaft of the spindle.