PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Stole 3

jhelanee
06-20-2007, 01:11 AM
Is anyone else participating in the Mystery Stole 3 knit-along? I am and would love to be able to talk about it with other KHers!

For those of you who haven't heard of it before check out the announcement (http://pinklemontwist.blogspot.com/2007/06/mystery-stole-3-let-madness-begin.html) and theYahoo group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mysterystole3/). The basic premise of the KAL is that you will be knitting a newly designed stole without knowing what it looks like beforehand. The instructions are broken up into chunks and released by the designer once a week starting June 29. I didn't know about the previous two, but a friend told me about this one and since I was looking for a new lace project I thought I would give it a go.

robynbird
06-20-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm signed up!

Lyndalm
06-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Oooooo, me me me! I've got my yarn and needles, just need to pick my beads!

Saleknitter
06-21-2007, 10:11 PM
I'm signed up...although still trying to decide on a yarn. I'm either going to go with Zephyr or a 57/43 blend wool/cotton yarn. Haven't swatched yet...to lazy to do both. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

beckyrhae
06-21-2007, 10:45 PM
I joined. I will be using Misti Alpaca lace, no color yet, I will go by my friends house to pick the color. (she owns TheSheepsTale) I'm leaning towards a greyish blue. Beads... dunno, guess I'll pick them after I pick a color.

RachelJean
06-22-2007, 09:55 AM
I joined, too. I'm totally undecided about what yarn to use. I have black yarn in my stash and I ordered some white yarn from littleknits. I also ordered some beads in both black and white. As soon as I finish the socks that are currently on the needles, I'll make some swatches and figure out what I like best. This should be fun. I love the patterns from the mystery stoles 1 and 2 (although I didn't join those).

stirsmommy
06-22-2007, 12:35 PM
I have joined but haven't picked anything. I don't want it to be too pricey as this is a lot of firsts for me. Hopefully I wil have my yarn by monday or at least have ordered it.

stirsmommy
06-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Ok so I am looking for inexpensive yarn but I am not sure what to get. I do want natural fibers but beyond that I am stuck. What do you guys suggest?

beckyrhae
06-22-2007, 06:17 PM
This is the Misti Alpaca I chose. Its lovely. Light, greyish- blue.

stirsmommy
06-22-2007, 06:52 PM
Ok I think I am going with the Zephyr vanilla. I am hoping it turns out well enough to give to my mil and I think she will like that color.

jhelanee
06-22-2007, 07:32 PM
So glad to see other KH MS3 folks! I am going to be knitting mine in Ebony (black) Zephyr with "Gunmetal" beads. The beads are a shiny very dark grey and are more visible against yarn than the true black beads while still being subtle (I hope). I started my swatch at SnB earlier this week, but haven't finished it yet (that pesky thing called work taking up too much time :teehee:) I will most likely use size 4 needles since I like the swatch so far, but I am debating ordering some KP Options in the right size. I used Options on another lace project and loved the pointy tips, so I'll probably get them for this too. Oh darn, I'll have to buy a few other things to get free shipping. :shrug: It's times like this I'm glad I have my own credit card that DH doesn't see. :wink:

beckyrhae
06-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Just a heads up... I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Options, but not for lace work. The Misti Alpaca slid off the Options too easily when I started my swatch, so I need to switch to wooden needles. Zephyr might be different though.

jhelanee
06-23-2007, 12:40 AM
Just a heads up... I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Options, but not for lace work. The Misti Alpaca slid off the Options too easily when I started my swatch, so I need to switch to wooden needles. Zephyr might be different though.

I know about the slipperyness issue - I used Options in a larger size to do a lace shawl out of KP Shadow last summer. I found that I had to be particularly careful at the beginning of the rows, but once I was 5-10 stitches in I had no problems. Once I finish my swatch maybe I should knit a couple additional rows with my options just to check how they work with the yarn. :think: Hmmm...

Sarah4321
06-23-2007, 02:01 AM
I am all ready to go. I did Mysteryshawl2 and really enjoyed it so looking forward to this one. I have some eggplant dark purple - close to black - merino that I will probably use. Waiting to see the first clue to be sure. I also have some knitpicks lace yarns that might get used. Have some beads picked out for the purple but waiting to see for the others - loads of beads in my stash. <G>

ADAllen
06-23-2007, 09:38 AM
This sounds like so much fun! but I've never knit lace before so I think I'll wait for the next one. I look forward to seeing pictures though!

kristinw
06-23-2007, 09:12 PM
I think I am going to do this too! It will add something different to the summer knitting. I'm thinking of either Malabrigo Laceweight, the Jaggerspun, or maybe Misti Alpaca Lace. Tough decision!!!!

ElenTikvah
06-24-2007, 12:08 AM
I simply have too many projects ongoing right now to add another...tho I'll be anxiously reading and waiting for pics! :D

Is there a way of knowing what the other stoles looked like?

~Tik

jhelanee
06-24-2007, 02:11 AM
Is there a way of knowing what the other stoles looked like?

If you visit the organizer's blog pinklemontwist.blogspot.com (http://pinklemontwist.blogspot.com/) you can see the previous mystery stole patterns by clicking on Pink Lemon Twist Patterns. MS1 was "Leda's Dream" and MS2 was "Scheherazade"

~Jennifer

ElenTikvah
06-24-2007, 10:10 AM
If you visit the organizer's blog pinklemontwist.blogspot.com (http://pinklemontwist.blogspot.com/) you can see the previous mystery stole patterns by clicking on Pink Lemon Twist Patterns. MS1 was "Leda's Dream" and MS2 was "Scheherazade"

~Jennifer

Thank you so much...I had visited the blog, and thought I had visited the Pink Lemon Twist link, but obviously not...the previous stoles are beautiful!

I really wish that I had time...! *sighs*

~Tik

dustinac
06-27-2007, 09:03 AM
:passedout: I just signed up... I hope I can keep up while working on the civil war shawl KAL... :rofling:

jeanius80
06-27-2007, 12:22 PM
i joined but i am very very nervous.... how are you deciding what colors to choose? i have one ball of zephyr in vanilla, do you think this is enough? i know melanie say 800yds to be safe, but i really don't want to order more. i am not doing it with beads though, thats just too much for my first lace project! :shifty:

jeanius80
06-27-2007, 04:54 PM
me again.i was just reading that i can adjust the length in 11 inch increments (so instead of 77, i can do 66 or 55) since a 77 inch lenght takes 780 yds, if i do a shorter stole, do you think 630 yds would be enough? i just hate to have to buy more yarn (broke, and i'd like to be able to eat :biting: ) also, anyone using a verigated yarn?

kristinw
06-27-2007, 07:09 PM
I really think you are going to be fine. And I got Vanilla too and will have way more than I need. So if you ended up needing more, I could definitely give you a few hundred yards.

kristinw
06-27-2007, 07:12 PM
Oh and I still can't decide on color. I got Vanilla and Indigo. It should be here tomorrow and then I'll have to decide.

One more thing. I don't think with Vanilla we will have a dye lot problem if I give you some since it is such a light color.

jeanius80
06-27-2007, 07:48 PM
kristin you are so sweet! i was thinking of dyeing it anyway so a dye lot wouldn't really matter. if i need to i was going to order a ball from sarahsyarns, she seems to have the best price for the zephyr

dustinac
06-27-2007, 08:26 PM
I'm not sure what I'm going to use... I'm hoping to use my stash yarn.. so I have enough Kaalund but it is a variegated... then I have Misti Alpaca in a deep red... I also have some bare lace weight from KP that I could dye and use... I need to figure it out soon :teehee:

I'd like to use the beads but will prolly decide on that after I pick the color...

robynbird
06-29-2007, 09:15 AM
First clue is up!!!

beckyrhae
06-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Looks very cool... I wont be starting yet... my beads are not here yet :(

robynbird
06-29-2007, 05:14 PM
I'm not going to use the beads since I've never done a lace project, I figured I should conquer one thing at time. IN fact, I'm going to use ww yarn because that's what I have enough of. :shrug:

jeanius80
06-29-2007, 05:22 PM
:cheering: i *just* noticed that a lovely knitter is actually writing out the pattern for those who have trouble reading charts! (or who are easily distracted/confused/lost like me:mrgreen:)

kristinw
06-30-2007, 06:59 PM
Has anyone started yet?? I have about 14 more rows to go in chart A. This is definitely the most intricate lace I've done. But all I have are my KP Options and they are pretty slippery. Hoping to get some new needles this week.

jeanius80
06-30-2007, 07:07 PM
i just printed out the written directions for chart A. i think i might caston tonight. when clue 4 comes out i'll just do oneof the 11 inch shorter bits, so i don't have to worry about running out :shrug: also, no beads for me. not with my dd running around!:zombie:

kristinw
06-30-2007, 07:17 PM
I didn't even ended up using the Vanilla, so if you decide to keep going make sure you let me know so I can send you some.

jeanius80
06-30-2007, 10:27 PM
how much would you want for it if i do need it? thanks too!

kristinw
06-30-2007, 10:34 PM
I guess if you want the whole thing (600 yards) - maybe $12? I just got it for $12.95. Unless you have something you are looking to trade! :)

jeanius80
06-30-2007, 11:24 PM
thanks... i think i am just going to do a smaller one in vanilla and order some ebony from sarahsyarns and either reknit a black one, or use it for a different shawl/stole. Thanks a bunch though!
i am on row 12 :yay:

ADAllen
07-01-2007, 10:29 AM
I gave in to the peer pressure and bought my yarn and beads last week. I was going to post a picture of my gorgeous purple yarn (i know she recommended black, white, grays, or creams, but when you see it, you'll understand why it was so irresistible), but I left it at my LYS to be balled. There was a lot of it and I had 4 other hanks that I had just bought to roll, so I took her up on her offer to do it for me. Unfortunately, it won't be able to get it until Thursday:cry:. I'm going to be a week behind from the very beginning. Fortunately, I've been having a blast with my summer swap yarn so I'll be distracted all week.

dustinac
07-01-2007, 08:27 PM
I haven't been able to start... I can't decide on the yarn I want to use :oo:... and I can't find the beads incase I want to add them... hopefully this week I can...cause I live for mom's soon and will miss the next 2 clues... :rofling:

lissalue
07-01-2007, 09:03 PM
I just joined. now i have to find yarn and beads. any suggestions on the best place to get it?

jeanius80
07-01-2007, 10:56 PM
i am using zephyr wool silk, in vanilla, and i just ordered more in ebony from http://www.sarahsyarns.com best prices i have seen for this yarn. i am making a shorter stole with the vanilla(she has said when clue#4 comes out, there will be a way to shorten the length by 11 inches). if you read here (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mysterystole3/database?method=reportRows&tbl=1)you can see what people are using, and if you go here (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mysterystole3/files/MS%203/English/), you can see the specs on the MS3! HTH
so far, its really pretty!
someone on the group had mentioned a theme guess having to do with the PAC NW or Orcas! i hope not, i will frog the whole thing :lol: i am hoping for a piratey or non-fish water theme :mrgreen:

Curly_Toot
07-02-2007, 03:21 AM
I just joined up, and i'm not sure if i've bitten off more than i can chew. I was going to use some mohair type yarn that i got in my swap, but i'm not sure if thats going to be really suitable oh well i'll start it and see how we go.

where abouts are the written instructions ?? i didnt look very hard but i couldnt see them.. ?

Cheers
CT

jeanius80
07-02-2007, 12:15 PM
here (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mysterystole3/files/) are the files, but you have to join the group to see them, i think. as for difficulty, i have never knitted lace, never used yarn this fine! but so far, so good, i am almost done with Chart A (written format) and its easy peasy :mrgreen:

kristinw
07-02-2007, 07:36 PM
I figured I'd share a picture. This is chart A completed and 1 row of chart B. I used the Zephyr 2/18 in Indigo. I am really liking how it is coming out. Makes me proud! :teehee:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1400/699765312_bdbb89823a.jpg (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/%3Ca%20href=)">

Eloewien
07-02-2007, 07:44 PM
That is soooo tempting. I can't get to the group from work, but I'll have to take a look at this tonight. I've got some lace weight yarn I need to use up... :woohoo:

lissalue
07-02-2007, 08:14 PM
kristen, that is gorgeous! what size needles are you using?

kristinw
07-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks! I am using size 4 needles.

ADAllen
07-02-2007, 10:47 PM
That is so beautiful!! I can't wait to get my yarn.

Eloewien
07-03-2007, 12:17 AM
I joined! I'll probably print and start tomorrow...

jhelanee
07-03-2007, 01:02 AM
I haven't started yet. :( The new KP Options needles I was waiting for arrived on Sat (before I had even started stalking the mailman!) but I was at a conference all weekend and had no knitting time. I was going to start it today, but catching up on stuff after this weekend and various household chores ate up all my time. :verysad: I think tomorrow I will just have to force myself to sit down on the couch and start. Oh what hardship... :teehee:

Glad to hear that things are going smoothly for everyone else so far!

dustinac
07-03-2007, 08:18 AM
kristinw~ that is lovely!! :happydancing:

Ok, so yesterday I ordered my beads online... I couldn't find the right size anywhere around here... I also went out and bought a black yarn... was planning on using a lilac once I get the beads in I'll decide (both are skacel merino lace)... I had them shipped to mom's since that is where I'll be...I'm going to label an envelope for dh today and show him where the group is... have him print out clue 2 on Friday and get it in the mail to me... I should get it by Wed and be able to work on it :rofling:

robynbird
07-03-2007, 12:35 PM
Kristin - it's beautiful!

I started yesterday. I found some pretty pink lace yarn and I obsessively worked until I was practically falling asleep. I have about 10 rows left of clue 1. It's beautiful!!! I'm enjoying it a lot. I have never done lace before, was scared of charts which is why I never got around to making last years MS. However, it all seemed to click this year and I'm excited to see myself knitting something so beautiful!! :cheering:

Eloewien
07-03-2007, 12:47 PM
I decided I didn't want to wait till payday to get beads, so i'm going without...

jeanius80
07-03-2007, 12:48 PM
i am absolutly amazed at how many knitters are participating (over 4000!!) just astounding! when dd takes her nap today, i will be posting some photo updates on lots of stuff :)

knittingmama
07-03-2007, 02:15 PM
I joined the group. But I'm not sure I'm going to be ble to do it. 100+ rows a week! I've been working on another shawl for more than 6 months and I'm a little more than 1/2 done is all. Plus finding lace wieght yarn is nearly impossible for what I can spend unless I ordered online. By then I would be very behind. With 6 kids and husband, my knitting time is very limited.

jeanius80
07-03-2007, 03:14 PM
i am definantly not going to be able to finish each clue each week!yikes! thats why i print it out, so i can work on it as i have time ... :mrgreen:

robynbird
07-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Here are some pics!

jeanius80
07-03-2007, 03:51 PM
very pretty robyn :) no pics yet, i still havent finished chart a

ADAllen
07-03-2007, 04:03 PM
wow that's beautiful Robyn. Has anyone who is using beads started? I think I'm the most nervous about the beading.

Eloewien
07-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Beads aren't scary :) I've used them in several projects, I'm just not going to use them in this one. I'm going to be carrying it around a whole lot, too, so I really don't need to be dealing with beads right now!! I'm loving the design, but have no ideas as to what it is supposed to be...

ADAllen
07-05-2007, 09:16 PM
:pout: I want to cry. I bought my yarn and beads for this a long time ago, but I left my yarn at my LYS to be balled. When I went to pick it up on Saturday she had forgotten about it and it wasn't ready yet. I haven't been able to go back (because I'm always at work when it is open) until tonight. I raced home from work hopped in my car and headed down town. When I got there everything was locked even though Thursdays are the open late night. There was a brown paper bag on the door that said the store would open at three and it was already five, but there wasn't a soul in sight. I want my yarn. :cry: I was also planning on picking up some DPNs for another project that has been sitting on the back burner because my gauge was off. I also realized a couple days ago that I forgot to check the recommended needle size for my yarn so I don't know if I'll have the right needles when I do finally get my yarn. or if she will have them in the store (she has a pretty small needle selection). I won't be able to get my yarn until Saturday at the earliest,:-( and then I may still have to wait for an internet order of needles before I can even begin my gauge swatch. :help:

jeanius80
07-05-2007, 09:29 PM
maybe you could call tomorrow while you are at work and see if the store owner is willing to meet you there to p/u your stuff after work, since noone was there today like they were supposed to? that completely sucks.

jhelanee
07-06-2007, 01:10 AM
I was finally able to sit down and knit on this today! :cheering: I made it through chart A (and promptly put in a lifeline :wink:) but haven't started chart B yet. So I am officially behind. But I'm further along than everyone who joined after the Yarn Harlot's post this afternoon.... :teehee:

I'm really enjoying knitting this. I'm using black Zephyr with beads and am loving the appearance so far. I'll try to post a picture over the weekend.

~Jennifer

jeanius80
07-06-2007, 12:21 PM
jennifer, i just received my order of black zephyr, which may or may not become a 2nd MS3 stole. :mrgreen: i'm going to wait and see if i want to knit a 2nd one. with beads. :shifty:

jhelanee
07-06-2007, 11:31 PM
I'll be sure to post pictures when I get around to taking them. :hiding:

Jess_knit
07-07-2007, 12:52 AM
I got sucked into checking this out after the Yarn Harlot posted, and joined yesterday...I ordered a pound of ebony Zephyr from sarahsyarns today, I couldn't resist the cheap prices (and she's already shipped it!). Now I just have to get to Michaels and check out beads before the yarn gets here, and I can start. Too bad I'm already two clues behind :roflhard:

robynbird
07-07-2007, 10:44 AM
I had to frog down to my lifeline prior to the 2nd clue last night. Somehow my yarn broke and there was a huge hole. :( Thank God for my lifeline!!

kristinw
07-07-2007, 11:57 AM
I got sucked into checking this out after the Yarn Harlot posted, and joined yesterday...I ordered a pound of ebony Zephyr from sarahsyarns today, I couldn't resist the cheap prices (and she's already shipped it!). Now I just have to get to Michaels and check out beads before the yarn gets here, and I can start. Too bad I'm already two clues behind :roflhard:

I know my Michaels didn't carry the size 8 beads, so you may want to call first.

kristinw
07-07-2007, 11:57 AM
I had to frog down to my lifeline prior to the 2nd clue last night. Somehow my yarn broke and there was a huge hole. :( Thank God for my lifeline!!

Oh no! That stinks. :( That's why I always use the lifeline with lace. I usually move it every 5 rows.

robynbird
07-07-2007, 01:24 PM
I was only about 10 rows into the 2nd clue so it wasn't bad but I had a tough time getting the stitches back on the needle.

lissalue
07-07-2007, 01:38 PM
I just ordered my yarn from sarahsyarns too. i decided to use violet instead of white or black. i am a sucker for blue and purple colors. and their violet is gorgeous :inlove:

i am going to wait until it gets here to decide if i want to do beads. i will need to take it with me to pick them out anyway.

Jess_knit
07-07-2007, 02:26 PM
I know my Michaels didn't carry the size 8 beads, so you may want to call first.

Hm, ok. Thanks!

beckyrhae
07-07-2007, 04:15 PM
I'm still waiting on my size 8 beads from the LYS.... gonna have lots of catching up to do. :)

Eloewien
07-07-2007, 08:18 PM
I could only find sz 6 or 10 beads... (as stated above, michaels doesn't have em) but there was a perfect color in the 6, so what if they're a tiny bit big...

jeanius80
07-07-2007, 08:37 PM
ok, finally got a pic of my progress. i have only finished chart a. for some reason it kept photographing really yellow....

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1238/751053546_eb85f5e218.jpg

Jess_knit
07-07-2007, 09:25 PM
It looks great! (What color is the yarn really?)

As it was said earlier, Michaels didn't have size 8 beads. I bought some 6s, but then went online and bought 8s in black and a crochet hook from Beadwrangler anyway. I justified it by saying I needed the hook :teehee:

Eloewien
07-07-2007, 09:52 PM
GRRRR the smallest hook I can find anywhere is a 1.3 mm which isn't small enough... I wonder if I could make a hook by cutting the eye of a needle???

Gotta figure something out...

jeanius80
07-07-2007, 11:13 PM
i am using the zephyr in vanilla.
eloewien- someone in the KAL said she was using a twisty tie (like from a loaf of bread), and if you have any jewelry wire, i suppose that would work too...

Eloewien
07-08-2007, 09:46 AM
I mangled a cross stitch needle with a pair of wire cutters ;) cut out part of the eye and it makes a hook...

robynbird
07-08-2007, 11:08 AM
That's pretty jeanius! I'm not adding beads since this is my first lace project. I have about 10 rows left of clue 2.

Jeremy
07-08-2007, 11:40 PM
I mangled a cross stitch needle with a pair of wire cutters ;) cut out part of the eye and it makes a hook...
One lady on the stole forum said she just stripped a couple of inches of plastic off the tie that comes with bread and it worked fine:shrug:

ADAllen
07-09-2007, 12:09 AM
I've gotten my yarn, I've started my swatch, and I've certainly bitten off more than I can chew!:shifty: It's been a lot of fun, but it is certainly going to be slow going. Since I'm already over a week behind, I doubt I'll catch up, but I'll keep plugging away at it. xxx

Eloewien
07-09-2007, 12:18 AM
I just frogged :frog: and started over WITH beads, just finished the first chart... so don't feel bad...

Jeremy
07-09-2007, 11:11 AM
I started yesterday. I'm one of the people who joined when Yarn Harlot did. Keep in mind there is going to be a hiatus of a week when the Harry Potter book comes out. Even if we don't catch up its no biggy. I'm still on the first chart but having lots of fun with lace and beads. This is my first official lace project with lace yarn although I've knit other stuff with lace techniques. Also the first time beading. I got size 8 beads from a local bead shop and found an 11/12 crochet hook at AC Moore which works fine.

Eloewien
07-09-2007, 04:23 PM
I FINALLY found a sz 12 hook, but won't get to try it until I go on break here at work at 7pm local time...

mwedzi
07-09-2007, 07:47 PM
I've signed up for this, but not sure if I'm really going to make it. Too many other projects going on. I'll wait and see how others' look and if it can be easily modified for weight of yarn. It looks like not, because there aren't several small repeats, looks like. I have a fingering weight of 150 grams and 650 yards that I got form Maryland Sheep and Wool that I want to use.

jeanius80
07-09-2007, 08:50 PM
she did say you can shorten (or chose to lengthen?) it later by 11 inches, when she gives out clue 4. i'll be doing that, because i have just 630 yds of zephyr to use. she has said she used about 780 yds. i am hoping the 11inches will be enoughto not run out of yarn :shrug: hth

robynbird
07-10-2007, 11:56 AM
I finished Clue 2 last night. You can see pictures on my blog: http://dailyjoy.net/?page_id=6

kemp
07-11-2007, 09:37 AM
I got started a little late (like Jeremy, I signed up when the harlot did) but I am into clue 2 now. This picture is just of clue 1 at row 73. Yarn, details etc at my blog.

Phaedra
07-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Kemp, your MS3 is beautiful! The color made my jaw drop!

Snugglebugmom
07-12-2007, 08:06 AM
I love the look of the stoles so far, and I am soooo bummed that I missed out on this project! I went to sign up but the group is closed, and the pattern is not available anywhere else. I envy you guys, and I can't wait to see the results!

mwedzi
07-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Snugglebugmom, she said the pattern will be available after the KAL in traditional format, some time around Sept. was it? Anyway, the not too distant future.

jeanius, thanks, I remember reading that you were going to do that. But I don't want mine to get more square. If I shorten it lengthwise, I also want to make it narrower, and I think that might not be possible. As opposed to her Moondance shawl, which I think should be easy to shorten either way. I'm thinking about doing that one. But still, I'll wait to see how these turn out. Everyone's is looking so pretty so far.

kemp
07-12-2007, 10:53 AM
Kemp, your MS3 is beautiful! The color made my jaw drop!

Thank you! I had this yarn in my stash and I thought it might just be perfect for this project.

I just finished clue 2 last night. Pictures at my blog (http://www.divaknitting.com/blog/?p=404)

jhelanee
07-12-2007, 11:59 AM
I finally finished clue 1 last night! Now on to clue 2...

(Yes you will get pictures, but I have to get around to taking them first!)

Eloewien
07-12-2007, 04:11 PM
I haven't had time to touch it, and since I frogged last week, I'm not even back through chart 1-- at least once I have some free time this weekend I won't have to worry about running out of charts to work on!

Phaedra
07-12-2007, 10:43 PM
I received my beads yesterday and started last night. I'm ready to begin Chart B of clue 1: I've a way to go! I signed up after reading the Yarn Harlot's blog. Here's my yarn choice: KnitPicks Shadow in Oregon Coast, with brown metallic beads from The Beadwrangler. The beads have all of the shades in the yarn.
I using a KnitPicks size 3 circular which is very slippery for me; I'm used to bamboo needles.

jeanius80
07-12-2007, 11:53 PM
what a pretty combo phaedra! wow!

lissalue
07-13-2007, 10:31 AM
I got my yarn yesterday. It is soo pretty and soft. I think i am going to go ith no beads, as this will be the biggest lace project i have taken on. Here is a pic of my yarn :inlove:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1045/793346715_c56f97c5b4_m.jpg

Eloewien
07-13-2007, 11:45 AM
I love the blue- that is just gorgeous!

Jess_knit
07-13-2007, 01:36 PM
I finally finished clue 1 last night, and pinned my stole out on my bed for a better look (at 2 in the morning). Wow, it's bigger already than I thought!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/doggyfan33/DSC01407.jpg

I'm using beads, but you can't really see them. I wish I'd picked a color that showed up better than black on black. Maybe if I do a second stole.

Phaedra
07-15-2007, 11:29 PM
I've finished clue 1, and now I'm at row 3 of clue 2 (row 107). I want to be working on clue 3 before the next comes out this Friday. Not the best pictures, but I hope you can see the beads.

robynbird
07-16-2007, 10:09 AM
Very pretty!!

Jeremy
07-16-2007, 10:59 AM
I was almost done with clue 1 but just didn't like how it was coming out. I was repeatedly frogging and there were mistakes far below that were fairly apparent. Sooo... last night ripped the whole thing out and I'll start again today. This is my first real lace project and its often the case with me that I'll have to do something twice or more times before it gels. So the snow may be flying before I finish my summer project.:rollseyes:

Eloewien
07-16-2007, 01:00 PM
I just finished clue 1 last night... it looks great with the beads in it! I'll try to get pictures up tomorrow...

Phaedra
07-16-2007, 01:39 PM
I was almost done with clue 1 but just didn't like how it was coming out. I was repeatedly frogging and there were mistakes far below that were fairly apparent. Sooo... last night ripped the whole thing out and I'll start again today. This is my first real lace project and its often the case with me that I'll have to do something twice or more times before it gels. So the snow may be flying before I finish my summer project.:rollseyes:
Oh, no!
I've knitted lace before, but these clue print-outs make me see double.:ick:
So, I bought some Post-it long note pads (with lines), attached 3 together (top to bottom) and place it above the row I'm working on.
It keeps my eyes focused on the actual row, and lets me see where I've been (I also check off each row as I finish it).
Plus I can write notes, if I need to. Maybe if you also copied the stitch legend and attached it to the clue you're working on?
Good Luck!

Jeremy
07-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Oh, no!
I've knitted lace before, but these clue print-outs make me see double.:ick:
So, I bought some Post-it long note pads (with lines), attached 3 together (top to bottom) and place it above the row I'm working on.
It keeps my eyes focused on the actual row, and lets me see where I've been (I also check off each row as I finish it).
Plus I can write notes, if I need to. Maybe if you also copied the stitch legend and attached it to the clue you're working on?
Good Luck!

Thanks. I'm ashamed to say I did both things you suggested and still screwed up. Some of has to do with being extra alert to the yarn slipping off or knitting two threads together inadvertantly. Once I get the hang of fixing my mistakes I'm sure I will pick up speed. Thanks for your help.:heart:

ADAllen
07-16-2007, 02:48 PM
I've finally gotten everything I need, I'm over half way done with the first clue, and I think I'm getting the hang of it. I'm afraid I might not catch up though :(. I've found that the only place I can work on it is at our breakfast nook. I need the table for the beads and the chart and slew of other things I'm using and the breakfast nook is the only area in our apartment that has lighting that doesn't make me want to pull my hair out. (and for that I've got to turn on the laundry room light so there is some coming in over my shoulder). I love my breakfast nook, but those cute little wooden benches are not meant for extended sitting. My hubby is a doll and has set me up with a couple couch pillows so it is not quite as bad. I'm loving my stole, but I think it is going to be a slow project.

kemp
07-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Just finished clue 3 yesterday.

robynbird
07-17-2007, 01:47 PM
Very pretty Kemp! I'm plugging along on my Clue 3. Not in a rush this week. I'll finish by Friday though. :)

Phaedra
07-17-2007, 04:51 PM
kemp, that is so great!
I'm still working on clue 2. I want so bad to be caught up by this Friday. My DH is working the late shift at Borders for the HP book release, so I plan to be working really hard on clue 3 that eve.

Doodknitwit
07-22-2007, 02:34 PM
I just heard of this yesterday and signed up at Yahoo group but I read it closed july 6.. will I rec info on the next one in time to join in the fun???:shrug:

jeanius80
07-22-2007, 02:52 PM
from what i understand, she does this once a year, and this pattern will be available for purchase in traditional format as early as august or september.
if you sign up for this group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PinkLemonKnits/), you get updates from her

DragonsChest
07-26-2007, 04:13 PM
I joined up a while back but only now got to start knitting. I've finished Chart A Clue 1, and will start on Chart B tonight. I choose a verigated green and am using white pearlized beads. I'm really far behind everyone else. Must knit faster. :knitting:

Jeremy
07-26-2007, 04:21 PM
I joined up a while back but only now got to start knitting. I've finished Chart A Clue 1, and will start on Chart B tonight. I choose a verigated green and am using white pearlized beads. I'm really far behind everyone else. Must knit faster. :knitting:
You're not very behind me. I'm still on Chart B. I'm having fun though and doing better. I discovered I've got a little more control with wooden needles and/addi lace and knitting English. If you go on the web site, there are tons of people just starting and/or starting over so you're in good company.:)

ADAllen
07-26-2007, 05:02 PM
I'm only on row 95. I've resigned myself to the understanding that it will no longer be a mystery by the time I finish, but I'm still loving it.

Doodknitwit
07-26-2007, 05:12 PM
I signed up too late for this one..but how can you tell without :shrug: a picture if you need to frog it :eyes:

dustinac
07-26-2007, 05:31 PM
My luck with this stole is just :wall: that you have to :roflhard:... from leaving patterns behind before vacation, waiting on beads, and getting started....

I finally had my black one with beads going of course slowly I went to pick it up and the yarn caught just right on my table corner and broke on me...being the adult that I am :teehee:.. it is now in the corner and a red one has been started without beads... it is on row 70...:happydance:

jhelanee
07-26-2007, 05:58 PM
I finished clue 2 this morning! :happydance: Now my goal is to finish clue three before clue 5 five comes out. We'll see it that happens...

Eloewien
07-26-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm still just barely into clue 2, but i'm getting there :)

DragonsChest
07-27-2007, 09:09 AM
I'm about halfway through Chart B of Clue 1, and loving it. I went back to my KP options needles, off of my beloved bamboo, mainly because the tips were sharper, but I've found that my stitches are more even using the KP. Maybe because the yarn flows more smoothly over the metal rather than the bamboo?

And I'm with ADAllen, it's okay that I'll know what it's supposed to be before I'm done with it. It will give me something to work towards.

:flirt:

Eloewien
07-27-2007, 09:55 AM
I don't really care if I get mine done "on time" either... I'm just enjoying making it

Phaedra
07-27-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm on row 175 of clue 3 and hope to be onto clue 4 sometime this weekend. It's slow going 'cause I sometimes just don't feel like it (doesn't help that the AC is on the fritz--sweating and wool do not go together well).
:hot:

jeanius80
07-27-2007, 07:58 PM
still back on chart b. i won't get any further until i learn how to drop my lace knitting on a moments notice :lol: having a 15 month old is not all it's cracked up to be, as far as knitting goes ;)

Jess_knit
07-27-2007, 08:09 PM
I'm working on clue 4, and was totally not looking forward to 135 rows of flower hexagon things. Finally, I asked my 5' tall mom, whom I'm knitting this for, if she wanted it shortened. She said yes, and I eagerly chopped 85 rows off the chart and cheered inside :teehee:

DragonsChest
07-30-2007, 10:02 AM
I finished Clue 1 and have started Clue 2! Go me! :woot: Here's a pic of my progress so far:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/DragonsChest/Knitting/MS3-Clue1.jpg

ADAllen
07-30-2007, 01:13 PM
That's beautiful; I love the colors.

Eloewien
07-30-2007, 09:41 PM
We find out the theme on Friday! yay!

dustinac
07-30-2007, 09:54 PM
:happydance: very pretty!!

I am almost done with Clue 2... only 8 more rows...:teehee: dh took the kids to the park yesterday so I could work on it... and then today I got to knit for a bit...

robynbird
07-31-2007, 12:15 AM
I'm still on Clue 3. I was doing so well keeping up but I haven't felt like knitting it or I'm really tired and I learned NOT to knit on it if I'm tired. Once I'm done with jury duty I should be able to get back to it.

Jeremy
07-31-2007, 11:29 AM
I finally finished Clue 1 and I've started Clue 2. I had ripped everything out and started again and although it was painful I'm really glad I did.

Phaedra
08-01-2007, 05:49 AM
DragonsChest, that is beautiful! I love the colors. I had wanted to do it in a variegated yarn, but I wasn't sucessful in finding one.

Phaedra
08-01-2007, 05:58 AM
I finished clue 3 yesterday. I usually arrive early to work, and work on it for 30 minutes and then at lunch for another 30 minutes (I hideout in an back corner empty cubicle.)
So, looking at the pictures on the MS3 site, once clue 4 is done, it looks like a sword to me---if it is, I'm naming mine Gryffindor.:teehee:

dustinac
08-02-2007, 11:14 AM
hrmm.. I had a long post but something happened to it :shrug:...anyways thanks to dh I was able to finish clue 3 last night and print off clue 4... I was thinking it would prolly be another 50 rows.. I don't think I'll be ready for clue 5 by tomorrow now :oo:...

As long as I have it done by Sept. 8th I'll be happy...:happydance:

DragonsChest
08-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Beautiful color, Dustinac!!!

Eloewien
08-02-2007, 10:12 PM
I finished clue 2 last night and have made a dent in clue 3... trying to catch up :)

ADAllen
08-03-2007, 07:35 AM
Oh dear... Now that I know the theme, I can't wait to finish it! I was going to put it on hold because I have a couple baby blankets to do, but it is an all new tempting again. Where am I going to find the time?

Eloewien
08-03-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm going to give the wing a shot... I enjoy a challenge! :) I've been loving this design!

DragonsChest
08-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Yep, me too, I'm going to knit the wing. How cool is this pattern!!! Must finish Clue 2 now. I'm still so very far behind, but I'll keep on keepin' on.

Jeremy
08-04-2007, 10:09 PM
I'm really not thrilled with the wing theme. My wife, whom I'm knitting this for doesn't care for it at all. I could finish it conventionally but I'm not really stoked to do it now. I think I'm going to leave this project for now.

dustinac
08-05-2007, 07:07 PM
I've been looking through some pictures of clue 5 that is finished... I'm just not sure.. part of me is like knit it trust the design...but another part is don't knit it... doesn't look right to ya... I need things to be lined up a certain way..dh was just telling me how I was to much like Monk :teehee:... I don't want to be sorry for not doing it/doing it... so I'm at a stand still with the shawl... only thing is I wanted to wear it to a wedding coming up & still do.. so I gotta decide quick...

I know I could do another side and then seam the 2 together... but could I also just continue knitting and then work the charts backwards and then do decreases? :shrug:

jeanius80
08-06-2007, 06:56 PM
i'm not knitting from charts, but i wonder for those of you who are, couldn't you just make reverse image copies of the previous charts and work them in reverse to make a symetricle stole?

Eloewien
08-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Don't see why not... I think it would work. You could also just kitchener stitch the two halves together to make it truly symmetrical

dustinac
08-07-2007, 07:22 AM
I think now I may be knitting the wing... mom has asked if I would and then if she could have the shawl :teehee:... it is all on hold right now as I try to find another pattern to knit for the wedding...:shrug:

DragonsChest
08-09-2007, 09:14 AM
I finished Clue 3 last night, and hope to take pictures of it tonight.

Clue 4 will see me putting beads in the cat's paws, because I'm loving the beads. Must have more beads. :happydance:

kemp
08-19-2007, 11:04 AM
I finished yesterday! I posted some blocking pictures on my blog already but "glamour shots" of the stole coming soon. I love the wing!

Eloewien
08-19-2007, 07:05 PM
The wing looks gorgeous! I can't wait to try the double winged version!

DragonsChest
08-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Almost done with Clue 4, Chart F. I can taste that wing portion, yum yum!!!

DragonsChest
08-21-2007, 10:38 PM
I have made it through Clue 4 - finally! It took me about 12 days to
finish with it. Now I can start on the next phase, Clue 5: the Wing!
Some links to the progress pics:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/DragonsChest/Knitting/MS3Clue4_2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/DragonsChest/Knitting/MS3Clue4_4upclose.jpg
The obligatory cat pic: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/DragonsChest/Knitting/MS3Clue4_3cat.jpg

dustinac
08-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Kemp and Dragonschest it looks wonderful :woot:...

Since mom wanted the shawl after I was done and knitted with the wing.. I decided hrmm Christmas/birthday gift? of course this means I haven't touched it since cause hey I have till December :shrug:

:teehee:

SusanMarie1956
08-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Becky Rhae,

Beautiful Alpaca!

beckyrhae
08-21-2007, 10:43 PM
Becky Rhae,

Beautiful Alpaca!

Thank you! I really should cast on... LOL :zombie:

jeanius80
08-21-2007, 11:01 PM
i love that green! so pretty :)

kemp
08-24-2007, 02:15 PM
I almost forgot to post about the final pictures! I put it over in the Whatcha Knitting forum here: http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/newthread.php?do=postthread&f=26

DragonsChest
08-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Whew! Now on to Clue 6.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/DragonsChest/Knitting/MS3Clue5.jpg

ADAllen
08-26-2007, 11:06 PM
So now that I've seen MS3, I'm not really all that in love with it. I've only finished the first clue, and I'm having trouble working up the desire to sit down and work on it. I am however, in love with Scheherazade (http://pinklemontwist.blogspot.com/2006/10/scheherazade.html). I'm thinking about frogging my MS3 and doing this instead. How hard do you think it would be to add beads to this pattern?

beckyrhae
08-26-2007, 11:15 PM
Adding beads to any pattern isnt too hard really, you just have to figure out where you would want them and add them to your chart. I've done it with a highlighter.

Also see HOW you want to add your beads, on the purl side or knit side, prestrung or with a crochet hook.

ADAllen
08-26-2007, 11:22 PM
Adding beads to any pattern isnt too hard really, you just have to figure out where you would want them and add them to your chart. I've done it with a highlighter.

Also see HOW you want to add your beads, on the purl side or knit side, prestrung or with a crochet hook.
I think I would want to do it the same way we have been with MS3. Has anyone else done Scherazade? Are the charts the same as MS3? Where only the right side is charted and every wrong side row is just to purl? If so, then I would just have to color the beads onto the chart? That sounds simple enough.

DragonsChest
08-26-2007, 11:53 PM
So now that I've seen MS3, I'm not really all that in love with it.

Is it the wing that you don't love, or the whole thing? If it's just the wing that is putting you off, there are instructions on how to make the stole with both sides the same.

But if it's the whole thing that you don't like, then you should follow your instincts, not do MS3, and do knit the stole that excites your creative juices. Life is too short to knit what you don't like, I think.

((hugs))

ADAllen
08-27-2007, 12:13 AM
I think it is the whole thing. Though it may be a result of how much I do like Scherazade. The moment I saw it, I decided that I was going to have to make one. Maybe after I make one I'd want to make the MS3 pattern as a gift for someone else. It is not that this one is bad (though I think I would like it better with 2 wings). And the one's I've seen have been beautiful, but it just doesn't seem to fit me. I'm thinking I should stop it before I start to dread it. I'm really glad I started it though. It is the first time I've ever done lace or worked with a chart.

Jeremy
08-27-2007, 12:53 PM
As per my prior post, I agree. I just felt the wind go out of the sails when the "mystery" was let out. I also agree about Scherezade.

jeanius80
08-29-2007, 12:20 PM
i am waiting for her to post the full pattern for sale, i am going to frog my stole (all of chart A and a bit of B :teehee: ) and do the double winged version. :)

DragonsChest
09-05-2007, 07:25 PM
I finished Clue 6 night before last, got seduced by a new pair of socks last night so didn't touch MS3, but was informed firmly by the stole that it wanted to be massaged tonight and brought that much closer to completion. Feisty little thing, isn't it?! :rofl: Anyhoo, here's a pic, almost there...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/DragonsChest/Knitting/MS3Clue6.jpg

jeanius80
09-05-2007, 07:35 PM
dragon- i just love the color you chose!
since i am going to wait, buy and knit the 2 winged version, i have been toying with the idea of dyeing my vanilla zephyr....

DragonsChest
09-05-2007, 11:29 PM
That sounds like a really neat idea, you can get just the color you want when you dye it yourself!

I will probably have enough yarn left over to knit the double winged version myself, and keep that one for me. It could happen.... :wink:

Jeremy
09-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Looks so beautiful. I admire your persistence. I may be inspired to finish mine by the time the next mystery stole comes out.

DragonsChest
09-06-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm persistant because this is a Christmas gift for my best friend, and because it's been a great source of satisfaction to knit this project. I'm really enjoying lace.

kemp
09-08-2007, 10:49 AM
I finished Clue 6 night before last, got seduced by a new pair of socks last night so didn't touch MS3, but was informed firmly by the stole that it wanted to be massaged tonight and brought that much closer to completion. Feisty little thing, isn't it?! :rofl: Anyhoo, here's a pic, almost there...

Looking beautiful. Almost there!

kemp
09-08-2007, 10:51 AM
i am waiting for her to post the full pattern for sale, i am going to frog my stole (all of chart A and a bit of B :teehee: ) and do the double winged version. :)
I wish I would've waited to do that too. I LOVE the wing.

jeanius80
09-08-2007, 04:21 PM
I wish I would've waited to do that too. I LOVE the wing.

:rofl:i wish i could say i waited, but it was a combination of being really slow, new to lace, and scared i'd mess it up! but looks like it paid off ;)

Phaedra
02-25-2008, 08:25 AM
I'm working on finishing all WIPS: last night I finally made it to the wing. I'll post a picture soon-- I hope.

Phaedra
07-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Ok..........approximately FIVE months later, here it is.:aww:
49261 Materials: yarn - KnitPicks Shadow, Oregon Coast Heather---less than 2 skeins, copper/gold/pewter/purple seed beads (I forgot the actual name!) and size 3 (3.25mm) KP circular.
I'm glad it's done; I stalled out last year after finding out the "mystery"--asymmetrical wasn't my thing. But I wanted to finish it as originally designed. I chose to knit with a smaller size needle than the pattern called for; I just like it better. Of course, it means the finished item is smaller. After blocking it is 65.5 inches tip to tip and 16 inches wide. I love the beading technique (which you can't see---sorry) and now feel free to add it to anything else in the future.

dustinac
07-24-2008, 08:10 AM
:inlove: ohh very pretty!!

Mine is still waiting for the wing :rofl: