PDA

View Full Version : Little wild kitten...

figaro
06-20-2007, 07:30 AM
Hubby is driving home last night from Edison, NJ and he calls me to tell me that he thinks he hears a cat meowing when he turns the radio off. He stops and gets his hair cut and checks his car and nothing. He drives home which is about 15 miles more and we both check his car, engine compartment and inside, nothing. We go shopping and we are back by 8 pm. It then starts to storm, bad. Thunder and lightening for a couple of hours. Around 11, after it stops, I hear the kitten outside! Both hubby and I go out into the tick infested bushes and try to find him. Hubby almost got him, but he was too fast. We finally have to give up because hubby is catching a flight to Hong Kong this morning and we need some sleep. Then early this morning, like 5 am, hubby is up and looks outside (we left the driveway light on) and he sees the little black kitten go to his car and crawl back in! We both go to check the engine and he was sitting on the battery but was too fast again!:wall: I try to set up a little trap with my cat sized kennel and wet food with a llloooonnnnggg string (not yarn!) attached to the door with a umbrella to keep it dry and now I have to wait.

Urg, I just him climb a little tree! Then zoom off to the bushes...patience....patience.....I hope I catch the little guy!:pray:

Doodknitwit
06-20-2007, 08:04 AM
a true caring animal loving knitter.. i'm amazed at the connection between our loving :heart: of our needle art & animals :star:

:blooby:

iza
06-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Poor little kitten! :pout: I hope you catch him!

marykz
06-20-2007, 08:24 AM
a true caring animal loving knitter.. i'm amazed at the connection between our loving :heart: of our needle art & animals
I was just thinking the same thing this morning!!! it warms my :heart: to see so many people truly caring for needy animals.

Good luck catching the little one Figaro!!

I have to go walk my dogs.... (a whole 'nother story!!)

HamburgKnitter
06-20-2007, 08:30 AM
Good luck! I hope you catch him, and thanks for trying. It's amazing that he drove around in the car that long! :shock:

As long as you keep putting food out, he'll stick around.

figaro
06-20-2007, 10:14 AM
I talked to the local Humane Society and they gave me a live animal trap with a refundable deposit of $50. I just finished setting it up with a can of tuna in the last place I saw him.

My hubby who was not a animal person before wants me to catch him cause he figures if he survived that road trip, he deserves a chance! (I feel that way to but I am the life long animal lover here so no surprise!)

mulene
06-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Aww too cute! I hope you catch the little thing, sounds like its a total battler to survive the journey and everything else!

Miss Kittie
06-20-2007, 12:32 PM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b285/Gato2perro/smiles/th_thBlack20Cat.gif (http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b285/Gato2perro/smiles/thBlack20Cat.gif)

Poor little thing.. hope you can catch it...
And thank for trying..:hug:

KnittingNat
06-20-2007, 04:39 PM
I hope you'll catch the little fellow...Would you keep him or find another home? When you catch him - post some pics... :cheering::cheering::cheering: for animal lovers!

misha rf
06-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Good luck--I hope you catch him soon!!

I had a friend who got a kitten in a similar way. She was at the store, then got on the interstate (70mph!) and went home. When she got there, the dogs were drawn to the car. She could hear the kitty, but couldn't find him when she looked under the hood. He was in a hollow spot in the fender with some wires. They knew they had to keep him--and named him Lucky. :rofling:

figaro
06-20-2007, 05:10 PM
I am not sure if we will keep him. He is a little wild one and I have done that, 21 years ago. But I also saw the amount of cats that they have at the Humane Society:shock:. There had to be at least 30-40 cats each in 2 large rooms. They did all seem to get along well with each other though, it was early morning and they were all out while their cages were cleaned. Soooo, IF we can catch the little bugger, I think I will try and get him to calm down some.

DragonTush
06-20-2007, 05:45 PM
Aww I hope you get him! My kitten was originally a feral..he is soo sweet now..although the little beggar still won't let my hold him, he flops down beside me whenever I'm on the couch.

Lisa_H-Town
06-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Yes, two of my current cats were born in the wild... took a while but they became quite friendly.... but of course on their terms.... mine also will sit with me, but no picking up or holding.

figaro
06-20-2007, 07:08 PM
Just a quick note to say I ALMOST got the little bugger! He was so close but so little that he went through the undergrowth quite fast. I really wish I had a net of some kind, hmmm do I have all plastic hangers or is there a wire one somewhere?

edited to add: my husband's work is 50 miles plus a little stop to get his haircut!

misha rf
06-20-2007, 07:57 PM
If you're going to try to socialize him a bit, you might want to get some oven mitts or heavy gloves. A friend of mine who does rescue recommended the oven mitts when I had some semi-feral rescues, and it really helped. I was able to handle them (they were "teenage" kittens) w/o being bitten or scratched, and also was able to get them used to being handled. After a while, I didn't need them at all to handle the kitties.

Belphoebe
06-20-2007, 08:00 PM
I've also used welding gloves to hold feral kitties. I grew up on a farm and my family still talks about how I could catch the wild kitties and other animals. Dad always said I could have it and keep it if I could catch it... :thumbsup:

DragonTush
06-20-2007, 10:02 PM
I was thinking (don't be scared)...can you leave your house door open? Maybe put the cage in the house with the food and see if he'll wander in? He might be easier to catch that way.

figaro
06-20-2007, 10:21 PM
DragonTush, I have a old cat that was also a feral kitten that would get out if I left the door open, that and our dog so we can't do that. But thanks for the suggestion. Right now I have to ignore the little Bugger (I like that name if I catch him!) cause it is dark and I can't catch him by myself. The live animal trap is out side waiting for him. I feel terrible but I am stuck. I don't even know anyone here that would be able to help me out. I hope he goes in there tonight!

Edited to add: I am going to bed now, been up since 5 because of Bugger and I still hear him out there!:waah: I really hope that he is in the cage right now...:tap:

But I am so sleepy.....zzzzzzz:sleepy:

Lisa_H-Town
06-20-2007, 11:20 PM
It seems like he knows he wants to be there... he hasn't run off! Good luck!!

figaro
06-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Well, I got some good sleep last night. I woke up at 5 for some reason and looked out at the cage and I saw something moving! I thought I am not going out there right now, it will wait until I get up. So after sleeping a couple more hours, I get up, get dressed and go outside to check it out....
it was not the kitten,
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/hum39/Image561.jpg

Yep, that is black and white you see, it is a SKUNK! :shock: I have put in 2 calls to wildlife rehab centers hoping they can help me. And I have not heard that Bugger all night or this morning. He is probably sleeping somewhere laughing at me!:lol:

dakatzmeow
06-21-2007, 08:53 AM
i'm sorry, but that skunk is too funny! and you have a wonderful way of telling a story!

five_six
06-21-2007, 09:05 AM
I once adopted a cat that was feral, and she wasn't a kitten either which is why I think the whole process took me so long with her, but i used to put a bowl of food under one of the shrubs by the front gate. Whenever I actually caught her eating, which wasn't all the time, I would sit on the front step so she could see me, then the second step down, then the third, then on the path to the gate, etc. I would do each for about a week, gradually getting closer to her, without having her bolt off in fear. It got to the point where I was able to walk past her without her running away, but if i stopped to try and pat her, she was outta there. Then the strangest thing happened after about 4 months of this 'cat and mouse' game. I was in the front room of my house cleaning one day, and she tentatively walked through the front door, sussed out the house, and stayed ever since! It kinda blew me away that she chose to come in of her own accord, I always thought I would have to drag her in. Needless to say, the route I took was very long, but I adored her and she was well worth it.

I hope you have better luck catching your kitty in the next few days, and kudos to you for even trying.

Mariblue
06-21-2007, 11:16 AM
:shock: Oh my goodness, figaro, good luck with that! Let us know how it goes. :shock:

Miss Kittie
06-21-2007, 12:09 PM
:roflhard::roflhard: Well, Maybe it was just a striped cat..:roflhard:

KnittingNat
06-21-2007, 02:30 PM
It reminds me of that Warner cartoon, with Pepe le Pew chasing the pretty cat who got painted :rofling::rofling:

DQ
06-21-2007, 03:08 PM
It reminds me of that Warner cartoon, with Pepe le Pew chasing the pretty cat who got painted :rofling::rofling:

:teehee::teehee::teehee:

Good luck catching him Figaro!

SandraEllen
06-21-2007, 08:28 PM
:roflhard: a skunk!!!

hopefully you can catch the little bugger! I can't wait to see pics!

figaro
06-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Just a little update here, the skunk went off into the woods with no spraying action at me! I then took the cage away cause I had not heard the little Bugger all morning. I finally heard a little meow this afternoon so it went back out there with a little tuna. I do have a small dog/large cat kennel that I used for our trip out here so I put that out there yesterday with food in it and rigged up some twine to close if from the patio. Never did see him go in there but I looked in it today and he did eat some food, I am pretty sure it was him cause not all the food was gone. I just heard him again about 15 minutes ago, it is starting to thunder and lightening again, and then it hit me. Put all the food in the live animal trap! (It is scary that I have made it this far.) We had 2 perfect opportunities to get him, putting DH's car in the garage when we left and grabbing him with a towel when we saw him on the battery in DH's car!:wall::wall: UGH!

So, lets hope he goes in there tonight and not a skunk again!

Belphoebe
06-21-2007, 09:40 PM
:pray: Come to the trap, kitty! Come to the trap!

figaro
06-22-2007, 06:24 PM
:cheering::woohoo:

As I was eating dinner I really wanted to go and check on the live animal trap for some reason but with me being the only adult here I had to wait until they were done. So I walk out there thinking that it would still be empty, but no the door is shut! I am thinking it is a skunk or raccoon, then I bend down to see a little black thing right by the door, its that little bugger! YAY!!!:cheering: I need to take pictures of him/her but for right now he is in the basement in the trap covered by a box to help him calm down. I have the small dog/large cat kennel that I need to fix up for him and somehow transfer him to without getting scratched. He is little, I think under 6 weeks, poor little thing. And he has been through a lot since he hitched a ride with hubby, thunder, lightening, downpours and this crazy lady who kept trying to chase him! I will post pictures of him in a little bit...

snowbear
06-22-2007, 06:45 PM
:cheering::cheering::cheering::happydancing::happy dancing:

I'm so glad you caught him & now he'll be dry, safe, and have plenty food. Don't forget a little pan of litter!

You are awesome!

Big Bear Hugs..

& very very gently ear scratches to the kitty!!!!

figaro
06-22-2007, 06:54 PM
And here he is! :woohoo: He is set up in the basement under the stairs with a 2 "floor" kitty condo that has food and water and a litterpan (he is next to it in this picture). The cage is covered with 2 towels for some comfort (I hope). And yes, that is a dryer sheet, I have no idea how it got there! I even have 2 carpet pieces for it but they are wet from being outside waiting for him so now they are outside (ironic huh!) trying to dry (please don't rain, please don't rain!:pray:).

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/hum39/Image567.jpg

Silver
06-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Woohoo!! He's so cute, and looks pretty happy and content at the moment. :)

Mariblue
06-22-2007, 08:30 PM
Awww, what a cute little kitten. :hug:

misha rf
06-22-2007, 09:25 PM
What a cutie pie!!! I'm so glad you finally got him!! :cheering::happydance:

Knitting_Guy
06-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Treat him well and he'll tame.

SandraEllen
06-22-2007, 10:27 PM
awwww... He's so adorable! I'm glad that you finally caught the little guy!

Belphoebe
06-22-2007, 11:44 PM
:woot: So glad to hear you caught him! Give him lots of love and he'll come around. :heart:

Braden
06-22-2007, 11:49 PM
Glad you caught him!

syndactylus
06-23-2007, 12:33 AM
he's cute!
I hope he's not scared anymore.
how did the skunk get out?

nsavage
06-23-2007, 03:53 AM
:cheering:I think it is great that you went through all that for that totally cute baby. I wish there were more animal friendly people in the world. I had a cat that ran outside one day while she was pregnant and hid so that she could have her babies. By the time we found them the little ones were fairly wild, but I kinda cornered them and was actually able to catch them. I took them inside and believe it or not gave them baths in the sink seperately. As I dried them I would just kind of hold them the way you hold a human baby that is sort of fussy. I loved on them and gave them little kisses on the tops of their heads. They just sort of took to me. Two of them would ride around on my shoulders around the house. They all ended up being the most affectionate little things. And they were all adopted by people who knew friends of various family members. So maybe, if you try the lots of love approach that little sweetie will come around. Don't tell my DH;), but I think I need a new little buddy. I miss not having one around.

KnittingNat
06-23-2007, 05:44 AM
He's adorable!!!! Glad you got him :cheering:

KnitClickChick
06-23-2007, 07:24 AM
How precious!! I have 4 cats, all came from a farm. Even though they were all born and lived outside -- they have adapted well to being indoors and are all very friendly. They all sleep on the bed with us and watch tv with us. When I get up to go to another room, they get up and follow!! My girl loves to curl up in the bathroom sink! I hope you keep that sweetie - he came this far and you went to so much trouble. I think it was meant to be! :heart:

figaro
06-23-2007, 08:14 AM
Thanks for all the posts! I forgot to tell you all how the skunk was released. I called a couple of animal rehab centers and they told me it is very easy, I was not sure but they told me to walk up slowly to the cage talking to the skunk. They have really poor eyesight and that is why they spray. So I go over there talking to "skunky" telling him its alright and I will let him go home. And he did just that, he never turned his tail to me, just kinda watched then left. I must say he was beautiful!

He did pretty good for the first night. I went down there and talked to him a little and even touched his body. (he let me know he did not like like that by hissing at me!) He is skinny so I gave him more wet food. We have to go to the store today to get him some good dry/wet food. All the food we have is Active Maturity for my 21 year old cat. I had a 2 strand acrylic knit cat blanket I was making for the Humane Society that I was working on, so I finished a few more rows and gave it to him.

willowangel
06-23-2007, 08:36 AM
He's so cute!

My kitty girl was feral, and about 2 years old (we think) when she arrived. She had no fur, cigarrette burns on her back where people had stubbed them out and they hadn't healed, broken bits on her tail and sore spots all over her. One night I went to bed with the window open, and at 6am woke up hearing a strange noise - I thought it was the rain, but there was this cat sitting on the windowsill. I thought it was cute, but I'm allergic to cats, so tried to get her to go outside. Finally managed to put her out, then closed the window, and she miaowed for 4 hours without stopping till I let her back in again so I could get some sleep.

And she never left. It took 3 months before we could touch her (that was fun, getting her to the vet for a checkup - I had to tell my mother I'd hurt myself making jewellery!!), and 6 months before she'd sit on us, but now, 4 years later, she's the most loving, affectionate cat. She can still go for you if you accidentally hit one of the sore bits on her that never properly healed, but she warns, rather than bites or scratches. She is revered among my friends for being the strongest willed cat they've ever met - when she wants hugs, she's damn well going to get them. I was well and truly adopted, and the doctor just had to give me super-strength anti-histamines cause I wasn't letting her go...

She's my joy and the heart of my heart now.
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa179/fiwillow/060.jpg

figaro
06-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Well, I just got back from the vet and he is a she! They put her age at about 7 weeks and she is actually pretty tame. She even started purring for the vet tech who was holding her! She did have about 10 ticks on her that they got. And she tested negative for both the feline leukemia and AIDS virus. :cheering: I kinda think that she was not feral, that she was from a litter and hid in the wrong place at the wrong time. I did buy her some Frontline spray that I will start on her next week. And she pooped in the cat litter box!

Now I need to figure out a name for her!:woohoo:

Krystal
06-23-2007, 06:00 PM
So glad you found her!!

A cute name could be Pallas, after Pallas Athene the greek warrior who travelled where she pleased. Link here (http://goddess.astrology.com/pallas/travel.html)

DQ
06-23-2007, 06:34 PM
:heart::heart:AWWW GORGEOUS!!! :heart::heart:

Ehem...sorry :shifty:

feministmama
06-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Wow! What a great story. Yeah gotta give her a good strong name. And she is so beeyootiful. So you are going to keep her right?

feministmama
06-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Hey how about Lulu. Cuz that story was a lulu

figaro
06-24-2007, 09:31 PM
Just a note to let you all know that she is adapting well in her new home. I still have her in the cage, partially to protect her from my 3 kids and partially cause she is still a little unsure of us and tries to hide sometimes. But everytime I pick her up, she starts to purr! Of course I had to go out and get her some more food, toys (she LOVES the fuzzy mouse!) and a sisal rope doorknob thingie (?!) to climb on. I thought you all might like a couple of pics of her from today...

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/hum39/Image583.jpg

and a close up of the little princess!

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/hum39/Image581.jpg

snowbear
06-24-2007, 09:35 PM
AWWWWWWWWW * reaching for a tissue* I love a happy ending!

:hug:

Inis
06-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Aw, what a cutie pie. She has "Betty Boop" eyes!

misha rf
06-24-2007, 10:45 PM
Awwww!!! The white whiskers/eyebrows are quite dramatic against the black fur!

dakatzmeow
06-25-2007, 08:29 AM
she is gorgeous. and so lucky! i still think lucky would be the perfect name for her.

Belphoebe
06-25-2007, 09:45 AM
She looks just like my neighbor's cat, Snickers. I love black kitties with white eyebrows. Very pretty!

Nobones
06-27-2007, 06:04 AM
Aw, what a cutie pie. She has "Betty Boop" eyes!

I was thinking that! Gotta be a good name there!

HamburgKnitter
06-27-2007, 06:19 AM
Hurray! I love a happy kitty ending! :cheering:

I think she's the granddaughter of my cat Henry. She looks just like him with those white eyebrows and whiskers. :heart:

How about the name Willow?

amy
06-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Ohhhhhh, what a touching story Debbie!! She's SUCH a cutie, and she looks like she's in the lap of luxury in that 2-tiered kennel. How wonderful that she purrs when you hold her! Sounds like she'll settle in quickly!

Love the name suggestions. How about a combo: Little Bugger Boop. :teehee:

I'm still giggling over the skunk. So funny! :roflhard:

feministmama
09-10-2007, 10:25 PM
How's the kitty doing? Such a cutie! :heart:

figaro
09-10-2007, 10:43 PM
She is doing great! She still sleeps in the cage (for hers and my youngest's safety!) and when I let her out, she just about climbs my shoulder, purring! Then I put her on the floor and she starts rubbing up against me and the girls, she also likes to play fetch like a dog with one of her little mice. Its funny cause we have a dog who catches mice (and a flying squirrel) and a cat who plays fetch!

Now I just have to get those two used to each other...:think: