PDA

View Full Version : It was bound to happen eventually.

meearnol
06-20-2007, 12:15 PM
I broke my first needle last night. It was so sad. I was knitting my jaywalkers (http://magknits.com/Sept05/patterns/jaywalker.htm) with a set of size 1 Brittany bamboo dpns, and SNAP! My set of 5 is now a set of 4. It's not really a huge deal, because I normally knit with 4, and trying to knit with 5 was a little weird, but because of the increases and decreases of the jaywalker pattern, I either have to use 5, or rearrange the stitches every few rounds. What a pain! I knew I was a tight knitter, and I haven't used those DPNs for a while, but man! I guess I'll just have to use this as an excuse to order more stuff from knit picks. :teehee:

Jeremy
06-20-2007, 01:12 PM
:hug: Sorry. I actually read somewhere, I think it was Elizabeth Zimmerman, maybe Amy quoting Elizabeth Zimmmerman, that you can use another size dpn and it really won't affect the size of the sock all that much because its only 25% of the knitting distributed over all the stitches.

brownishcoat
06-20-2007, 02:00 PM
And using one size up or down from the current size will cause the least amount of noticeable difference.

samm
06-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Poor poor you! Having to order from KnitPix is such hardship!!!!! :lol: Sorry about the needle though, and I have read EZ's solution to use one different sized one. I'd go one up or one down, as others suggested. And get my order ready! samm

psammeadred
06-20-2007, 11:29 PM
Isn't Brittany the company that will replace needles for free?

meearnol
06-21-2007, 07:01 AM
:shock: I have no idea psammeadred. If they are, I'll be VERY happy! I'll do a little research. Thanks for suggesting that! :muah:

Emeraldcutie
06-21-2007, 08:28 AM
They will replace for free, I had one of mine snap also. Just send them an email from the site with your address and they will find the closest store that carries them, and ships one right out. Best of all they don't need the old one as proof (since mine got thrown in the garbage)..:)

meearnol
06-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Thanks Emerald! I emailed them today.