PDA

View Full Version : What's the ugliest thing you've ever knitted?

Mommy22alyns
06-20-2007, 01:26 PM
I finished my first sock a few days ago and it is SO huge and hideous, I don't even want to take a pic of it. :ick:

So help me feel better and tell me all about the ugliest thing you've ever knitted - and completed!

jjminarcik
06-20-2007, 01:47 PM
My worst project was my first sock, too! It was :ick: :ick: :ick: and was the ugliest color, so many mistakes, and looked like it would fit Bigfoot. I laugh about it now, as my socks have gotten much better!

brendajos
06-20-2007, 01:53 PM
well it is apparently so hideous that KH doesn't even want it displayed... let's try again...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/brendajos/Knitted%20Stuff/LisasCover.jpg

And that would be the reason I never use fun fur cwap anymore! :doh:

oh btw... it's a cell phone cover and there was a matching scarf out there in the world...lol

bip
06-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Well, I got about 90% of the way through Pinup Queen (in SNB Handbook), but for some reason I was double stranding neon green and dark purple Lionbrand microspun. I have no idea what possessed me, normally I have very good taste, lol. Fortunately, I ran into something I couldn't figure out (I was a new knitter at the time), and I put the project aside. When I picked it up again, I was like, "Oh no no no NO. No. Bad knitter. Bad, bad knitter." And I frogged it.

I am working on a pretty ugly blanket at the moment. It is supposed to be pretty, see? http://www.canknit.com/free/ns.html But I didn't plan out the color order ahead of time and it is looking gawdawful.

Just what everyone needs around the house, an ugly, NON machine washable afghan! :lol:

mum2caden
06-20-2007, 01:56 PM
LOL- Well novelty yarn doesn't even look good in the skein, so I have no idea why anyone would want to knit with it...

So far I haven't knit anything terribly ugly- my first dishcloth was my worst. It was a Grandmother's favorite, and for some reason I thought I was supposed to add another YO two stitches before the end of the row, along with the YO at the beginning of the row.

Apparently that makes a diamond-ish, curvy boat shaped thing, lol.

auburnchick
06-20-2007, 01:58 PM
A cable purse, using a Lion Brand pattern and wool-ease. Apparently my gauge was way off, so the bag turned out large enough for an Amazon woman. I posted pictures on the stashbusting kal.

The bag now hangs in my closet waiting to be made into something else. :wall:

KnittingNat
06-20-2007, 01:59 PM
A few years ago i thought i could knit a sweater without any pattern, just out of my head, ya know... So i have this HUGE, UGLY, SHAPELESS sweater made out of gorgeous eggplant colour mohair... Now that i get to think of that - maybe i should frog the whole thing:think:? Any ideas for mohair projects:happydance:?

marykz
06-20-2007, 02:02 PM
homespun handbag. let no more be said.... it was awful.

Stiney
06-20-2007, 02:27 PM
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31408&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1179365047

This was supposed to be a straight scarf.

The pattern was wrong. The yarn was cheap acrylic sport weight, it was my first project, done on plastic needles. My stitches aren't even, and it's just fug. I didn't do a good job casting on or binding off with the ribbon.

You can see a picture of what the scarf is SUPPOSED to look like here. (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&endeca=1&isbn=140272926X&itm=1)

AmandaC
06-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Sorry Stine ... but the fact that it was meant to be straight and it turned out like that has made me :roflhard:

Lisa_H-Town
06-20-2007, 03:17 PM
I am currently working on what will be my ugliest peice.... a scarf.... how come no one warned me about novelty yarns?? If I didn't have so many danged hours into it... I would give up... I just kept hoping it would get cuter...

DH wants the yarn to make fishing lures....... :rofling:

Stiney
06-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Sorry Stine ... but the fact that it was meant to be straight and it turned out like that has made me :roflhard:

I was very upset at the time. Now it's very :roflhard: :teehee:

The manager at my old B&N is a knitter, and I lent her the pattern. It did the same thing for her, so I blame the pattern. :teehee:

There's definitely a line missing in the pattern, and even I was able to figure this out with my whole 10 rows of experience. All the increases/decreases are done on even rows, until the 13th row, when all of a sudden you start doing them on odd rows.

debinoz
06-20-2007, 03:31 PM
A hat. I was trying to make up my own beret pattern. It looks more like a giant cupcake......

jeanius80
06-20-2007, 03:39 PM
it was a baby sweater i was crocheting with bernat sweet stripes. it was a one piece knit, but my back rectangle was turning into a wonky triangle. i gave up. the yarn in hiding in the bottom drawer of my craft cart. i don't know if i'll ever pick up that yarn again......

zkimom
06-20-2007, 07:41 PM
Are you inferring that I have ever knit something that wasn't fabulous? Moi? Never. :noway:

:---

Ok, really -- there was the one sock that never made it to be a pair when I learned that I was knitting continental and purling combination then tried to fix that in the middle of the sock and it looked all wonky. Then there was the Haiku sweater I tried to make for a 2 year old girl I know -- it was wide enough for a teenager and short enough for a toddler. (Gauge -- why do you bother me with details like gauge!) Then there was the sweater I made for myself that was so short it was cropped but wide enough for me and dh to wear together. (why oh why did I keep knitting?)

I do manage to save myself by frogging most disasters before wearing them in public.

I treat my knitting like my photography and only show the good stuff. (have you ever been around someone who doesn't edit their vacation photos?) That way everything looks fabulous.:wink:

Best,
Susan

cristina61
06-20-2007, 08:46 PM
Ah, novelty yarns . . . :rollseyes:

Last year I knit a whole bunch of different scarves from LB patterns for a December craft fair. Toward the end I was rushing to finish as many as I could and I chose the Fur-Trimmed Scarf, which is knit with Chenille Thick and Quick and then trimmed on each end with Fun Fur.

For some reason I still don't understand, I chose the Garnet Print for the chenille -- and HOT PINK for the Fun Fur! That scarf was so embarassing I almost decided not to put it out on the sale table. :ick:

Wouldn't you know, it was one of the first ones to go!

Lisa_H-Town
06-20-2007, 08:53 PM
Ah, novelty yarns . . . :rollseyes:

Wouldn't you know, it was one of the first ones to go!

Oh, so maybe there's hope the person I am making my monstrosity for will like it???:happydance:

rainberry
06-20-2007, 10:47 PM
The ugliest thing I ever knitted was the first thing I made. It was supposed to be a Wisconsin dishcloth and I hate the yarn. I messed up somewhere and I didn't know what the right side and wrong side looked like so the picture and the letters WI got flipped. They are on opposite sides.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/minihorsegrl/WI-1.jpg

wildflower38
06-20-2007, 11:30 PM
LOL. My first scarf. It's hideous.... red fun fur sections with "silk" nylon yarn overs...... What was I thinking:roflhard:

zip
06-21-2007, 12:19 AM
The Martha Stewart poncho for my mom that she requested which my sister flatly refused to knit for her. The pattern called for Homespun, which sucked to knit with. It's so ugly that taking a photo never even occurred to me. Shandeh laughed at it when she saw it, yet she was kind enough to try to heal it as I live nearly 3000 miles away.

Mom said she loved it and would keep it in her car to use upon demand. I translated that to, "I'll stick it under a back tire for traction should I ever get stuck."

It's awful, horrid, unforgivably ugly. Don't knit it.

midnightskyfibers
06-21-2007, 02:25 AM
For me...probably a tie between a really awful fun fur scarf with contrasting (!!) acrylic as a base or one of several horribly botched sweaters- more due to fit or bad shaping.

Raspberry61
06-21-2007, 02:27 AM
The ugliest thing I ever knitted was the sock I just ripped apart! It was way too wide in the foot. I don't know how that happend as I followed the pattern to a T! I actually cried out of frustration as I tore out each stitch, but I can't stand it when a project is not just as I think it should be- perfect! It was my first sock so I can forgive myself. I plan on starting over tomorrow and may ask for help here if I need it!

Lieke
06-21-2007, 02:46 AM
This is the ugliest thing I've ever knit:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/Liekevangenesen/paarsvest.jpg

It's the pattern I don't like. It's from a phildarbook and they've got really weird sleeves. The bottom of the sleeves are (always) to wide. It was only my second sweater, so I didn't notice untill it was finished. Now I know it was the pattern, not me, because all those phildar sweaters got those ugly sleeves. I'm still trying to find the courage to frog it.

five_six
06-21-2007, 03:27 AM
Oh Leike!! If that's the best example of 'ugly' you've got, then your set. I don't actually think it's all that bad. Maybe you could just destination row it and redo the bottom of the sleeves instead of ripping the whole lot out, cause it's quite cute really!

meearnol
06-21-2007, 06:58 AM
The ugliest thing I ever knitted was this terrible pair of slippers for my sister. She showed me a pair that my grandmother had knitted for my grandfather (which were pretty ugly, too) and wanted me to make them "just like that!" I told her to go pick out some yarn and she came back with Homespun. :ick: I guess I should have gone with her. Anyway, I ended up double-stranding the Homespun, which was in a wholly unnatural purple/brown/green colorway with a pink wool. They were hideous!

Needless to say, she loved them. :shrug:

msoebel
06-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Ugliest thing? The big beret that was so popular a few seasons ago...I decided that I knew better than the pattern (I clearly didn't) and made some adjustments.

It's also a very ugly tan color. And it's Red Hearts Super Saver.

It rather looks like a mushroom when I try to wear the thing. But it was my very first attempt at the magic loop, so I have it in a box, under some yarn, for reference.

Misty

jodstr2
06-21-2007, 11:42 AM
my first, like, 10 scarves using 3 kinds of yarn at a time. too much fur, pom poms, and glitter. :roflhard:

ironmaiden
06-21-2007, 01:15 PM
That blue sweater is cute in theory - I like the buttons and the off-center opening.

The worst thing I've knit so far was my first sock - I just didn't like it and the ankle portion was too short bc I was being impatient and wanted to get to the hard part lol.

mshelton
06-21-2007, 03:33 PM
That Martha Stewart poncho with Homespun that I knitted for my sister was refused. It's in the bottom of a box. It came out big enough to fit a giant.

willowangel
06-21-2007, 04:22 PM
I use novelty yarns to make hair falls - they look cool for that ;-) I've used them for some punky kind of stuff, but I laugh every time I see a 'classy' pattern that's supposed to be knit in some kind of eyelash monstrosity.

booskibabe
07-02-2007, 03:55 PM
My ugliest thing is my very first sweater. Not being wise in the way of different yarn fibers, I made it with a bulky weight, 100% acrylic, mohair-looking yarn. :ick:It hides at the bottom of my sweater drawer because it's too hot and fuzzy to wear. One day I'll frog it....
Oh and does it mean I have bad taste if I think Lieke's sweater is cool?:happydance::lol:

Knit1Drop1
07-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Ugliest - a "quick and easy" sweater which was supposed to be made on size 13 needles with 2 strands of yarn. I used Red Heart Super Saver in this very bright red, blue, yellow, and green varigated color. It was hideously ugly. I now avoid any thing with big needles and any "saver" yarns like the plague. You can make some hideous stuff with good yarn but you can never make anything nice with lousy yarn.

Coming in 2nd place would be a crochet project which wasn't exactly ugly but was useless. I made this tote bag from "kitchen cotton" from the Lion Brand site... I think it was called a hobo bag? My idea was to use it as a knitting/crochet bag. Ha! Any hooks or needles fell through the gaps PLUS any amount of weight put into the bag caused it to stretch and droop down to my knees. It looked great when there was nothing in it, though. :P

vmdeangelo
07-02-2007, 07:28 PM
My worste project was a ghastly bolero that just sagged and did nothing else! It was terrible and I will never use a 100% acrylic yarn with that pattern ever again!:ick:

ADAllen
07-03-2007, 07:57 AM
I think this thread has a disappointingly low number of pictures. I haven't actually knit many FO so the ugliest thing I've knit is a big yellow scarf. It really isn't that bad. Some days I like it, but most days, I look at it and think that even Big Bird might think that it is too much yellow.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1102/558745012_5d4b4607c5.jpg (http://the-kniterati.blogspot.com/2007/06/ive-been-itching-to-knit-ever-since-we.html)

holamiis
07-03-2007, 08:11 AM
Just finishing my first pair of socks (Jaywalkers) and wow, did I screw up somewhere. I don't know if i'll ever get the hang of picking up stitches on the heel flap! Plus, I made a horribly ugly triangular scarf out of hideous novelty yarn, red, fuzzy and with size 17 needles!

Mulderknitter
07-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Holamiis, don't feel bad about your sock! My first sock (never did get a mate made for it) was horrible! The toe ripped out the second I put it on, I had done the decreases for the toe at the top of the foot (I still got the darn thing on):roflhard:
but i still wore it all night and to bed because like Silver's tutorial says, no matter how wonky that sock is, it's still a sock and you made it!:muah:

dreamsherl
07-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Below is a picture of one of my ugly projects. This is the first item that I knitted. I gifted myself last year with knitting classes for my birthday. The first project was a scarf. It was designed to teach the basic skills of knitting, purling, learning to recognize the four basic stitches: garter, stockinette, reverse stockinette, binding off, and knit 2 purl 2 ribbing. I truly learned all of these things but I'll never wear this ugly thing. I'll keep it forever. Maybe I'll put it up on the wall in my knitting and sewing room (whenever I get that together).

Carla1019
07-03-2007, 11:45 AM
There was link in a knitting Mag. of what Not to knit (http://whatnottoknit.wordpress.com/). So to make you all feel better. Check it out.

Eloewien
07-03-2007, 12:01 PM
I don't know how many people wanted maroon/orange fun fur scarves (Virginia Tech Hokies colors)... and still do!!! grr... what I will do for money...

Knit1Drop1
07-03-2007, 01:29 PM
I think this thread has a disappointingly low number of pictures.

Well at the time I made my blunders, knitting had yet to become "hot" again and I never imagined I might once be involved in a "what's the ugliest thing you ever made?" discussion. :D So I threw my stuff away. Now I really wish I had kept it. I am telling you that sweater was HIDEOUS. IIRC, it also had a V neck and I didn't get the base of the V quite tight enough...

Feef
07-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Definitely the socks I recently completed for a friend in CA. Being a new sock knitter, I offered her the choices of both the yarn AND the pattern.

She chose this yarn:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v175/Fifia2/LLSock_FreshStripe_2.jpg

and,

This pattern:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v175/Fifia2/CheckyWavesLL.jpg
It took me over a month to finish the pair because it's UGLY. So ugly in fact, that I called to warn her she probably won't love them.

I didn't run the pattern down the foot like the pattern calls for; I did a stockinette foot, so at least the self-striping yarn would STRIPE, ferpetessake.

:hair:

Teeka
07-03-2007, 04:27 PM
There was link in a knitting Mag. of what Not to knit (http://whatnottoknit.wordpress.com/). So to make you all feel better. Check it out.

:roflhard:

karendawn
07-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Last December I decided I would try knitting a stocking (I wanted to try a sock and figured a big sock would be good practice). I love the pattern and plan to actually do this over again so it looks right, but I'll never use this one.

Here's what I wrote in my knitting blog about it:
I started out okay. Once I got the hang of the double pointed needles, I found that I liked using them. I created and turned the heel just fine. That's when I hit the problem area. I somehow got the needles placed differently and found that I was knitting "inside out" - purl "bumps" on the outside when it should have been the knit "V". I didn't figure out what was wrong at first. After about 6 rows I figured it out and got myself going correctly again. I know that I REALLY should have frogged back, but I just couldn't bear to do it (I really wanted to finish that day, which was Christmas Eve). So I kept on. Also in my rush, I think I should have made the foot part longer. And then the tip of the toe is super pointed. It said to knit until 8 stitches remain, and I did but it just seems like too much.

And I'll include pictures.

Knitting_Guy
07-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Ugliest? Pretty much everything I knit. :oo:

ADAllen
07-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Ugliest? Pretty much everything I knit. :oo:
That's a lie and I've seen the pictures that prove it! In fact, my hubby likes your stuff better than mine:shrug: too girly I suppose

Knitting_Guy
07-03-2007, 09:57 PM
That's a lie and I've seen the pictures that prove it! In fact, my hubby likes your stuff better than mine:shrug: too girly I suppose

Well, see, that's the thing. We guys actually LIKE ugly. :rofling:

auburnchick
07-03-2007, 10:13 PM
Karen,

Uh, your stocking is, um, well...unique. Words simply do it no justice...

:teehee:

It's nice that we can laugh about our goof-ups, eh?

IBAmyB
07-04-2007, 05:47 AM
This round dishcloth (http://www.knittingknonsense.com/lacyround.html) is pretty and works well with varigated yarns, but the red, white, and blue yarn I chose isn't working out too well, it hides the pretty pattern... It looks like a big blob of mixed colors as opposed to the pretty dishcloth. :(

saylor
07-05-2007, 10:50 PM
What a great topic. So many good stories! I finally finished my first scarf and proudly wore it to work. It was pretty generic. I ran out of yarn and it was sorta short. The yarn was cream with little flecks. Anyway I was waiting for an elevator with another employee and he asked me how I was doing and quickly added "I guess not so good, since you are wearing a neck brace." I got a really big laugh out of this. Then I started a pair of cottage socks from a Lion Brand pattern that looked remarkably similar to a leg cast! What's going on!!!!!
My co-workers had a lot of fun making fun of me and my knitting attempts. I no longer work there but my knitting skills have improved and I LOVE knitting.

Lieke
07-06-2007, 06:13 AM
Oh Leike!! If that's the best example of 'ugly' you've got, then your set. I don't actually think it's all that bad. Maybe you could just destination row it and redo the bottom of the sleeves instead of ripping the whole lot out, cause it's quite cute really!
That's so sweet of you to say!

Thing is, I don't feel happy in the sweater, so I won't wear it. I think frogging is the best thing, because I do like the yarn. Or maybe you're right and I just have to redo the sleeves.

Karrying Kolor
07-06-2007, 07:26 AM
Last December I decided I would try knitting a stocking (I wanted to try a sock and figured a big sock would be good practice). I love the pattern and plan to actually do this over again so it looks right, but I'll never use this one.

Here's what I wrote in my knitting blog about it:
I started out okay. Once I got the hang of the double pointed needles, I found that I liked using them. I created and turned the heel just fine. That's when I hit the problem area. I somehow got the needles placed differently and found that I was knitting "inside out" - purl "bumps" on the outside when it should have been the knit "V". I didn't figure out what was wrong at first. After about 6 rows I figured it out and got myself going correctly again. I know that I REALLY should have frogged back, but I just couldn't bear to do it (I really wanted to finish that day, which was Christmas Eve). So I kept on. Also in my rush, I think I should have made the foot part longer. And then the tip of the toe is super pointed. It said to knit until 8 stitches remain, and I did but it just seems like too much.

And I'll include pictures.

I think the Grinch would be very touched to know that you knitted a Christmas stocking just for him! Teasing but...:roflhard:

Seriously, I am to ashamed to even discuss the socks I knit in Bernat's Hot Tamale...Way beyond Fugly colorway and my size 8 socks would have fit Sasquach:ick:

PaperGirl
07-06-2007, 05:04 PM
This round dishcloth (http://www.knittingknonsense.com/lacyround.html) is pretty and works well with varigated yarns, but the red, white, and blue yarn I chose isn't working out too well, it hides the pretty pattern... It looks like a big blob of mixed colors as opposed to the pretty dishcloth. :(

Im making a few like that too. My MIL....LOVES blue and green, so I thought I would make her one where every time you make a new petal, I change the color...hers is blue and green. I think its AWFUL.

The ugliest thing I have ever knitted....oh let me show you...:ick: GAH. I bought a "Learn to Knit" kit at Hobby Lobby....2 sets of Boye aluminum needles, and various other crap...and the book said...

"Medium weight worsted yarn."

*shudder*

Thats what I picked out. :roflhard:

orcoastknitter
07-06-2007, 05:30 PM
I would have to say the ugliest thing I have ever knitted was a scarf made of out Paton's Divine, I believe it was called. I believe it's a mohair blend or somthing like that. It is black and red. I thought it would look good with my red coat. Umm no. So now it's wrapped around the headrest in my car.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

jeanius80
07-06-2007, 06:16 PM
papergirl, i like your scarf :lol:
so far the 2 worst things i have knitted were both for my mom. first was a hat that had a sort of cone/nipple shape thing going on. i then added a pom pom to it,and now it is a play hat for the girls :mrgreen: 2nd was a scarf that was started in moss stitch, then switched to linen stitch. after 4 inches of moss, i switched to linen. then somehow after about 4/5 inches, the linen stitch was showing up reversed! poor thing is hiding in a box woth the red heart super saver

PaperGirl
07-06-2007, 06:17 PM
My daughter has that thing somewhere in her closet now...