PDA

View Full Version : summer swappers!!! need opinions!

jeanius80
06-20-2007, 03:51 PM
"Hot Knits: 30 Cool, Fun Designs to Knit and Wear "
would you like this book? (http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Knits-Cool-Designs-Knit/dp/0823023389/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_2/002-1062354-7035245?ie=UTF8&qid=1182368807&sr=8-7) please answer so i know if i should buy one or my swappee! THANKS!!!

Kaydee
06-20-2007, 04:11 PM
I don't have any knitting books:shock: but I'd like it if my swapper got that for me.

Nobones
06-20-2007, 04:17 PM
I think it would depend on what age your swap person was. Reading the 1 review the lady seemed quite disappointed it was like S&B. But for some people that's a bonus. It all depends on what she likes to knit.

I'd love a knitting book that gives patterns or suggestions for using odd balls from your stash, Patterns you can knit with one or two balls. That would be the perfect book for me.

My neighbor has handed me a bag of yarn today, most all not used with labels but most have only the 1 ball. Whenever I buy a yarn I like I always but 1 to knit up a swatch to see if I like knitting it, but because of that I do have a lot of odd balls lying around.

Doodknitwit
06-20-2007, 04:18 PM
nice book! is she/he an experienced knitter...? might be good if so

oneyarn
06-20-2007, 06:39 PM
From looking at the table of contents, there are some really great looking tops in the book. Since I have never made one, don't know how much I would want the book. But it does have several there I just might want to take the plunge and make my first sweater.

Getting book to add to my knitting library is always a great thing for me and I can always find ideas in it that I can use in other projects even if I don't knit the exact one in the book.

Who knows by sending this book, your swappee could make her first sweater and think of you everytime she wears it.....

cftwo
06-20-2007, 06:50 PM
I'd want to look at it more closely if I were buying it for myself, but if your swappee is young (or even youngish), she'd probably like it - there are a lot of nice sweaters there. My mother, who is 60 and who lives in Appalachia, would scoff that she couldn't wear those styles, both because they were too young and because they wouldn't fit in where she lives. I like them though. That mohair coat at the beginning looks really soft.

aineepooh1
06-20-2007, 08:34 PM
I think it depends on the age of your swappee... but PERSONALLY I :heart::heart::heart::heart: knitting/crochet books.. I like lotsa pictures to help me. I have never read a knitting/crochet book that I havent' learned at LEAST ONE new thing. so if he/she likes a reference library it's a GREAT idea... IMHO books are kinda like patterns .. you just can't have too many~!:aww:

meearnol
06-20-2007, 10:36 PM
It looks like there are some good patterns in the book, but personally I like books that have a variety of patterns. The sweaters are very pretty, but might be overwhelming for someone who mainly knits smaller projects (like me).

redwitch
06-21-2007, 01:45 AM
It depends on if she likes to knit things like jumpers... but I'm sure she'll appreciate the thought and enjoy reading the book and looking at the pictures either way! It looks to me though like I would only buy it for someone who definitely does jumpers and tops.

Sarah

Leah22b
06-21-2007, 12:05 PM
They are really pretty patterns, but I have to agree with everyone else. It depends on your pal's age and what they like to knit. I know several people have sent out questions to there pal... with types of things they knit and what projects they are working on and what they would like to try at some point. I'm intimidated by big project like sweaters so even though I like the book I probably wouldn't get it for a knitter like me.

If you want more ideas...A personal fav. of mine is One skein wonders. Lots of projects you can make with stash yarn or just a single skein.... Great patterns and quick knits.

Good luck I'm sure your pal will like whatever you decide on.

jeanius80
06-21-2007, 01:29 PM
*BUMPING*

marykz
06-21-2007, 01:56 PM
I love books!! that said, I read this one at the library and wasn't interested enough to check it out and bring it home.

But if someone were to pick it out for me as a gift- (or any other book for that matter) it would be great- you can't have enough books or enough places for inspiration.

I think its sweet of you to ask and I hope you get the answer you are looking for!

jeanius80
06-25-2007, 05:27 PM
:pout:ok now, only 10 or so have responded! where are the rest of you? a simple yes or no will do... PLEASE! :mrgreen:

Quiltlady
06-25-2007, 06:14 PM
I have a lot of knitting books but not that one.:lol: Looks good to me.

Shandeh
06-25-2007, 10:53 PM
I wouldn't be able to use it myself, because most of the patterns are not in my size. :pout:

ADAllen
06-26-2007, 02:21 PM
sorry I'm so far behind on my forum reading :). I think the tops look like a lot of fun. I'm also a bit intimidated by them since I've never made a top before.

clb1968
06-26-2007, 03:51 PM
I love any knitting books, especially if someone else is buying,lol

PaperGirl
06-26-2007, 04:18 PM
I would love that book.

rebecca
06-26-2007, 05:06 PM
I like the book. Melissa Leapman is a very good designer. I agree with several of the others, I think the age of the knitter might have a lot to do with it. I do love knitting books, my size isn't in the book, but I would certainly knit for others from it!!!! As a matter of fact, I want her Cables Untangled (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400097452/ref=wl_it_dp/002-7747273-5711210?ie=UTF8&coliid=INE9625D34X8U&colid=18FPIWOZBNXPJ) because of the way she writes patterns and explains things so well (well, those that I've read, anyway!).

knovice
06-30-2007, 05:47 PM
I have this book and just love it... it's got a lot of great sweater patterns and ideas. I do agree with some previous posters that it would mostly appeal to someone on the younger (under 40) side.