PDA

View Full Version : I can't decide on a kitty name! Pic on Page 2!

BinkyKat
06-20-2007, 11:04 PM
I am trying to find a name for our little kitten we've had for about 2 weeks now. We can't seem to agree...altho keeps leaning toward "Meatball" :rollseyes: it's funny, but I don't think I wanna call that name out for the next 15 years.
Here are some possibilites...
Ideas???
Feel free to make a multiple choice....Kthnx~:thumbsup:

five_six
06-21-2007, 12:53 AM
where is the picture? And you didn't include meatball on the poll, which is still my fave :teehee: But then again, I once called my kitten teaspoon, so that I could upgrade it's name as it grew... you know, tablespoon, dessertspoon, ladle... but it ended up always being teaspoon.

I used to have a cat called Chester!

dakatzmeow
06-21-2007, 08:49 AM
can't decide til i see a picture. ;)

Kaydee
06-21-2007, 09:21 AM
can't decide til i see a picture. ;)

Ditto!

Ingrid
06-21-2007, 09:58 AM
I know a Shamus and Fozzie, so I think I'd have to see if your's looks like either one of them.

brownishcoat
06-21-2007, 02:31 PM
I love :heart::heart::heart: Twinky!

:blooby:

Stiney
06-21-2007, 02:42 PM
If this is the same kitty that you posted on your blog, I maintain he looks like a Fred. But I need to see a pickchoor.

orcoastknitter
06-21-2007, 04:50 PM
I like Toonces. :cheering:

knitqueen
06-21-2007, 05:38 PM
I chose Obie, because a friend of mine had a cat named that and they recently had to have him put down.

BinkyKat
06-21-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm trying like crazy to post a pick, but when I click "upload, I get this:
BinkyKat, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.WTH?:??:shrug::wall:

Hubby suggested "teacup", so that would be something fivesix:teehee:
Since Binky our other cat already had a name when we got him, I have said many times if we ever got another kitty I wanted to name him Toonces...but alas, I don't feel 100% committed to it. :wall:

I like Obie too... ack, I can't decide!:doh:

also, the Quick Reply is not quick...lamex-(

I like Obie too! I just can't decide!!!

newamy
06-21-2007, 11:56 PM
I can't see a picture.

My suggestion is to name her after a favorite book character. My cat is Kinsey name after Kinsey Milhone from the mystery series by Sue Grafton. My cat that died last year was named Pouncequick from a book about cats call Tailchasers song.

If you don't have a favorite book character name her after a favorite yarn.

mel.b
06-22-2007, 12:00 AM
I like Hagan (and I :heart: Hugh Jackman too:roflhard:)

I always have female cats, but if I ever get a boy I'm going to call it Kingston...it just sounds so dignified.

My aunty also has a Chester. We had a Felica once and also a little kitten called 'storm' because he caused such a fuss (my uncle wouldn't let my aunty keep it, so we ended up with him) Poor Storm became 'tripod' though :( He went missing one day and we couldn't find him. About 3 - 4months later we were walking home from school and saw this cat in a house window...it looked just like Storm. We ran home and told mum and then went to this house to see if it was. Turns out Storm had slept up the car wheel recess and when dad went to work he didn't know Storm was there. This elderly couple found and took him to the vets but he lost a leg, hence the new name 'tripod'. We still sometimes see him sitting in that house window :)

Other cat names we have had are 'Lucy, Cassie, Charli, tiger and grey puss'

Good luck and have fun with your new kitten!

Mel.b

Eloewien
06-22-2007, 12:07 AM
My boy's name is Thomas-- since we got him as a rescue, it was better than "Bubbles" and we started calling him Tomcat, and it just stuck :) If he's bad- then he's Thomas James-- it slipped out that way one day!

Duckling326
06-22-2007, 12:45 AM
What does the kitty look like? I'm more for naming cats human names. Our three cats are called Phoebe(black torti), Kacy(longhair-grey), and Toby(tuxedo)

Post a picture!

DragonTush
06-22-2007, 01:03 AM
I like Francis. So obviously I voted other:lol:

KellyK
06-22-2007, 02:16 AM
I think "Twinky" will be too confusing, as it sounds too much like Binky. I am another one who prefers the more unusual, but human, names for aminals. I chose Hagan. :thumbsup:

Rorshach
06-22-2007, 02:26 AM
I generally head for Egyptological names for cats, or depending on their markings, or personality, will give names. My black bombay, for example, is named Osiris, after the Egyptian god of the underworld. Once you are able to post a pic, Jodie, I'll give you a name.

Aaron

five_six
06-22-2007, 03:03 AM
One of my present cats is named after a Goddess - the Aztec goddess of the night and animals and (forgive the spelling) her name is Metzley, my other cat is called Scamperwags, but we call her bamps for short for some reason. Used to be scamps, but it transformed to bamps.

Stiney
06-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Binky, maybe if you post a picture in a new post in this thread?

BinkyKat
06-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Binky, maybe if you post a picture in a new post in this thread?
Hey, there's a thought...
Thanks for all the suggestions. Ror...I thought about Diogenes...which is Greek, and calling him "Dodge" for short. I have a friend who had a cat with that name/nickname. In my case, this little guy was found with his littermates in a junker car that dh and his buddies were getting ready to "recycle" two weeks ago:shock:
This little guy came to our home, the other 4 went to his friends who will keep one and foster the other 3 for a few months for adoption through a PAAWS clinic here that offers reduced price spaying/neutering for folks that bring in strays, etc in an effort to control pet overpopulation.
Let's see if the pic thing works yet... it did it did !!! :cheering:
Twinky is my mom's idea...to be truthful, I'm not a big fan of rhymie names... like Pete and RePete...
Yay, another Hugh Jackman fan! Mel.B...can you hook me up please? Or at least get a message to him for me? I'm sure you're more likely to bump into the man that I am! xoxoxo
I'm sure like Binky, his middle name will be KittyGetDown lol

brendajos
06-22-2007, 08:11 PM
i think he looks like a Stanley! :teehee:

Rorshach
06-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Now that's a cute face on that kitten (hmm don't believe I've ever seen an ugly kitten) anyway, I think just "Dodge" would be a perfect name for him.

Ingrid
06-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Awwwwww. If it's worth anything, he looks just like the Shamus I know.:shrug:

Knitting_Guy
06-22-2007, 09:03 PM
In my experience they wind up telling you their name.

Knitting_Guy
06-22-2007, 09:11 PM
This was my last friend, his name was Socrates. He rode in the truck with me and was run over by a truck in a truck stop last year at the age of 6 months.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c50/mason61/Socrates.jpg

misha rf
06-22-2007, 09:22 PM
Awww, Mason. I'm sorry about Socrates. :pout: :hug:

I voted for Twinky. My Gramma had a cat named Twinkie. Golden colored on the outside & a cream filling down the middle (white tummy). He got called Little S**t more than he got called Twinkie. So, in our family, if you were mad at someone, you called them a Twinkie. :rofling:

He looked a lot like your kitty.

debinoz
06-22-2007, 09:49 PM
Looks like a Henry to me.....

Knitting_Guy
06-22-2007, 09:52 PM
Awww, Mason. I'm sorry about Socrates. :pout: :hug:.

Thanks, still smarts a bit when I see these kitty threads.

Jan in CA
06-22-2007, 09:53 PM
Oh Mason..that is so sad. :pout:

I voted for Scooter, I just think it's a cute name. ;)

brendajos
06-22-2007, 09:54 PM
In my experience they wind up telling you their name.

I agree. My little girl Miz Scarlet got renamed several times before she told me her name was Scarlet.

Call him by the names you like and see how he responds to them.

:pout: Sorry about Socrates.... beautiful kitty... so sad :pout:

Chel
06-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Mason, your kitty friend was beautiful. At least he was loved while he was alive. So many out there aren't.

I agree with them telling you their names. All 3 of mine did. I just kinda talked to them and stared into their sweet kitty faces and suddenly "the" name came to me.

I also have a thing against naming pets silly names. I personally would be mortified if I woke up one day named Frou-Frou Muffin Butt, so I pretty much try to afford them the same consideration.

My vote for a name?

Purrcival.... Percy.

SandraEllen
06-22-2007, 10:39 PM
I like Scooter. That's my favorite.

Mason, I read about Socrates on your blog a couple of months ago. I think I cried.

jeanius80
06-22-2007, 10:56 PM
i already voted beore you posted his piccie.. now i changed my mind.. i vote for shamus. what cutie! reminds of a kittie i had.. he 'found' a kittie door at a nieghbors, and decided that was his new home, since food was constantly available and he could roam...:pout: i miss him! now we can't have any kitties cause dh is allergic

kblue
06-22-2007, 11:20 PM
Well i'm so not a cat person...sorry everyone... But i think Scooter is a cute name and i really like Obie...Well really there is only 1 cat i could ever ever ever see myself "wanting" and (sorry don't know what kind/breed just looks) it was this short haired black, black, completely black cat with the biggest brightess emerald green eyes i'd ever seen...that's the only cat i'd ever want...

brendajos
06-22-2007, 11:33 PM
ooooooooooooh nooooooooo....lol i see it happening already. when i finally adopt a kitty i am going to HAVE to name it Frou-Frou- Muffin Butt. must.wait.until.it.passes..... :shifty:

chrislt8
06-22-2007, 11:43 PM
Well, I voted for Chester...now, my sister had a cat whose name was simply "Damn Cat" LOL Guess who WASN'T the cat lover in her family:roflhard:

KnitClickChick
06-23-2007, 07:35 AM
So cute! I named our 2 younger cats - CoCo looks black, but when he is in the sun his fur looks just like cocoa powder brown. Tiger has black stripes all over his white/gray/brown fur. My boyfriend, who hasn't a creative bone in his body, named our 2 older cats: Boy and Girl. Ugh! I call Boy "Buddy" though, however he loves attention so much he comes to whatever name he is called, it is so funny! We also had another black cat (who passed away at only 1 year old :0( ) who I named Cleo. When I was a kid, we had numerous cats. Some names were: Oreo, Buttons, Ebony, Tabby, Peaches, Kitty, Samantha, Blaze, Callie..... I like Scooter!

BinkyKat
06-23-2007, 10:58 AM
Aw Mason, I'm sorry about your little buddy:heart: Those beautiful eyes sure make him look like he was a very smart kitty:hug:

DH has indeed made the li'l sh!t and other type of suggestions because he thinks he's sooooooo funny :rollseyes: (have i mentioned I'm married to a 38 year old 8th grader?). Mostly we have been referring to him as "the little one/guy/kitty" and generally we usually refer to Binky as "Kitty" so doing that is confusing as dh says "which one?" when he hears me holler. The little one is being very bitey about the hands/ankles etc. and for some reason likes to perforate ME from head to toe while I'm sleeping :shrug: DH said how cute it was that he seemed to like me more at feeding time because I could get him to bottle feed and dh couldn't (must be a female thing) but I wonder why I get to be the one to get chewed on? So, water bottle training has begun. Binky just sits there and looks like, "Been there done that newbie":wink:

Thanks for all the suggestions and anecdotes, I'm reporting the "results" to dh as we go along.:thumbsup:

pixi stix
06-23-2007, 01:12 PM
I suggest Orion as a name for the kitty. I also liked Shamus from the above list. Cute kitty for sure :)

jeanius80
06-23-2007, 02:46 PM
i was recently reminded of a kitty we had. he was all black with white paws and a white tummy. we named him Nike (you know, instead of boots or sox real clever i know)

Phaedra
06-23-2007, 04:01 PM
When I was very little, we had a tabby named Dino.

BinkyKat
06-23-2007, 04:07 PM
When I was very little, we had a tabby named Dino.
Very cute... I think of the ra ra ra ra ra type of bark of Dino from Flintstones :lol: he's always so excited

Rorshach
06-23-2007, 06:41 PM
My DW has chimed in with the name of "Bucky" from Get Fuzzy.

BinkyKat
06-23-2007, 07:14 PM
My DW has chimed in with the name of "Bucky" from Get Fuzzy.
Thanks for the input R'sDW! I forgot about that :roflhard:

zip
06-24-2007, 03:44 PM
His name is Owen. For a moment I thought it was Hank, but it's Owen.

Stiney
06-25-2007, 09:44 AM
I stand by Fred. :teehee:

Rorshach, I play World of Warcraft and one of my pets is a wolf. I named it Satchell. :teehee:

Duckling326
06-25-2007, 11:42 AM
He looks like a Sam or Sammy...Jimmy... He 's very cute! I would love to have a kitten but with three already our home is too small.

knitwit88
06-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Twinkie (like the dessert)

Stiney
06-26-2007, 03:47 PM
Fred might answer to "Mustard" though. :thinking:

Chel
06-26-2007, 03:59 PM
I looked up what names mean "Little one" and the closest the baby namer came up were these:

Aidan which means little fire.
Caligula means little boots.
Roan means little red one.

BinkyKat
06-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the additional suggestions!
Gosh, how do people name children before they're born!:wall:

zip
06-28-2007, 01:27 AM
Did you decide what to name him? cuz I've changed my mind. I think his name is Opie Taylor.