PDA

View Full Version : One Skein Sockettes

Shandeh
06-21-2007, 01:09 AM
My son asked for a pair of red ankle socks, so I got a couple skeins of Lang Jawoll sock yarn at Cottage Yarn yesterday. The yarn is a BEAUTIFUL deep red.

As usual, I'm using dpns, and making both socks at the same time.

I think this is gonna be a nice, quick knit. :thumbsup:

Here's a link to the pattern:
http://www.members.shaw.ca/lisaknits/oneskeinsockettes.pdf

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1154/578499311_26c2d5ee26.jpg

baronreads
06-21-2007, 04:03 AM
Oh how pretty!! How do you knit both at the same time? Do a row on one then on the other? Or a few rows at a time? Very interesting!

mwedzi
06-21-2007, 07:45 AM
Shandeh, are you also knitting the whole sock with the reinforcing thread?

ironmaiden
06-21-2007, 08:43 AM
That yarn is gorgeous - lucky son!

Shandeh
06-21-2007, 12:24 PM
Oh how pretty!! How do you knit both at the same time? Do a row on one then on the other? Or a few rows at a time? Very interesting!
Thanks! I just knit one row at a time. I like using the metal size 2 dpns, because they are different colors. I always start the new row with the blue set, and end it with the red one. (Red means "stop" :teehee:) That way, if I have to set it down, I'll know EXACTLY where I was in the pattern when I come back to it.

Shandeh, are you also knitting the whole sock with the reinforcing thread?
Nope. Just the heels and toes. I'm working on the heels now, because the ribbing for the anklets is so short.

That yarn is gorgeous - lucky son!
Thank you, my friend! :hug:

1to1
06-21-2007, 01:19 PM
Another one for my sock pattern binder.

I do the same thing with stitch markers--red means stop end of round.

Thanks

Knitabit
06-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Beautiful color!

Where can I learn more about using reinforcing thread?

:-)

Shandeh
06-22-2007, 05:01 AM
Where can I learn more about using reinforcing thread?
I'm using it for the first time myself, with these socks. I'm thinking that it will keep my son from wearing out the heel and toes too soon. Time will tell.

All you do is add the reinforcing thread along with the regular sock yarn when you start the heel. You'll do the same thing when it's time to do the decreases for the toe.

I found an online article about sock reinforcing thread here:
http://www.knittingnewscast.com/news/2006/07/reinforcing-nylon-thread-for-knitting.html

And I also found where you can order reinforcing thread to match your existing sock yarn here:
http://www.carodanfarm.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product174.html

But, I like the Lang Jawoll yarn and Froehlich Wolle Blauband Maxi Ringel from Switzerland, because they both include reinforcing thread which is dyed to match! :thumbsup:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/211/504043321_f335d73270_m.jpg

Shandeh
06-22-2007, 05:11 AM
Here's a photo of the Swiss sock yarn:

UnspeakableJoy
06-22-2007, 06:51 AM
Sandy, they're so pretty! I :heart: red! You are an amazing knitter! :notworthy:

Shandeh
06-22-2007, 07:31 AM
You are an amazing knitter! :notworthy:
Awww that's so SWEET to say! :aww:
But, I just feel like an average knitter. :teehee:

Shandeh
06-23-2007, 01:49 AM
Today, I spent another hour working on the socks, and have gotten about halfway through the heel flaps. I'll probably finish the flaps tonight and start shaping the heel and picking up stitches. Then, I'll post another photo. :wink:

Shandeh
06-24-2007, 12:02 AM
I took myself to Cottage Yarn today, and worked on the socks a bit more. Now, I have finished turning the heel, picked up the side stitches, and started decreasing for the foot!
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1170/606782856_e1932d5002.jpg

Brandilyne
06-24-2007, 05:56 AM
That really is just a sinfully gorgeous shade of red! They look great so far, can't wait to see your progress. Thanks for the tip on the reinforcing thread, I've seen it mentioned various places but never knew exactly how to do it!! :lol:

Shandeh
06-24-2007, 06:04 PM
That really is just a sinfully gorgeous shade of red! They look great so far, can't wait to see your progress. Thanks for the tip on the reinforcing thread, I've seen it mentioned various places but never knew exactly how to do it!! :lol:

I love that yarn more and more as I'm using it. The red is such a deep shade....so warm and rich and wonderful! :inlove:

I'm learning about the sock reinforcement thread as I go. I've been wondering about it for a long time, and there is NOT a lot of information online about it. So, I decided to be a "reinforcement thread guinea pig".
:teehee:

tootie44
06-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Very cool socks! That is a beautiful color.

I also use DPNs and knit both socks at the same time, but I never thought of switching each row. Now you got me thinking...Usually I do a section at a time then switch.

Shandeh
06-24-2007, 10:46 PM
Well, now I'm at the part where I'm decreasing every other row, and here is where I ALWAYS get confused.
Did I just do a decrease row, or a knit row? :??

So, if I make a mistake....this is the section where it will happen. :roll:

The problem is that I get involved watching something on TV, or listening to Marvin tell me something. Then I look down, and wonder, "What the heck am I knitting?" :teehee:

Shandeh
03-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Yes....two years later....I'm still plugging along on these ankle socks! :teehee:

I think I might actually be decreasing for the toes soon. :roll:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3566/3333051327_96ba968d22.jpg

ArtLady1981
03-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Niiiiiice Sandy! And what a son! Someone who asks for a knit! I like that!

cheley
03-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Well, now I'm at the part where I'm decreasing every other row, and here is where I ALWAYS get confused.
Did I just do a decrease row, or a knit row? :??

So, if I make a mistake....this is the section where it will happen. :roll:

The problem is that I get involved watching something on TV, or listening to Marvin tell me something. Then I look down, and wonder, "What the heck am I knitting?" :teehee:Here's a quote from Silver's Tut, is this what you are referring to?
If you put your work down and forget if you're on a decrease row (knitting 2 together) or knit row (all knit), here's a tip:
Look at the second stitch from the end (closest to needle #2) of needle #1 or #3 from the inside. If you see two stitches together as one stitch, your next row is a knit row. If you only see one stitch, your next row is a decreasing row

Debkcs
03-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Sandy, bless your heart! Thank you so much for making me feel better as I have some projects OTNs about that old.

That red is just beautiful, such a beautiful, deep, saturated red.

Shandeh
03-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Niiiiiice Sandy! And what a son! Someone who asks for a knit! I like that!
:hug:
Yeah, it's nice to have sons that appreciate my knitting. They didn't want it when they were younger, but now that they are older, they appreciate it.

My other son came to visit me on his birthday, and chose several things from the "Son of Stitch & Bitch" book.

Here's a quote from Silver's Tut, is this what you are referring to?
Thanks Cheley! I've tried that before, but it's really hard to see the two stitches with this thin yarn. I guess I need new glasses.

That red is just beautiful, such a beautiful, deep, saturated red.
I LOVE that color too! :inlove:

MerigoldinWA
03-10-2009, 02:02 AM
Good idea to knit both at the same time. I may be able to do that without getting mixed up. Maybe. Thanks for the tip about the two different colors of needles. Those are going to be beauts.

WandaT
03-11-2009, 09:39 AM
They are going to be great! You are better than I ... when I have something OTN for that long, I usually end up frogging and starting over at a later date. That is such a beautiful color! And they should be finished soon!!

GirlChris
03-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Fun to watch the progression, they look great.

Jaxhil
03-16-2009, 06:50 AM
these look great too! (I just looked at your blue socks). Of course, LOVE red!

Thanks for the link to the sweaterscapes socks! (was that from your other post? can't remember! lol) It looks like a keeper :thumbsup: I love a nice, basic sock!

You know, I just realized these socks are two years in progress :teehee: Now I don't feel so bad about the pair I started last summer (or was it spring??) and are still in my little sock bag, unfinished! maybe because I need to frog and restart them !

Anyway, hooray, the end end is in sight!

Shandeh
03-16-2009, 11:44 PM
You know, I just realized these socks are two years in progress :teehee: Now I don't feel so bad about the pair I started last summer (or was it spring??) and are still in my little sock bag, unfinished!
I am a VERY slow knitter.
I never like having a deadline on my crafting, because I know I will never make it. So, I just slowly plod along, knitting when I want to, and working on what I really want to work on. :thumbsup:

I'm trying to finish up several projects this year, including 5 Oddball Blankets, 2 Oddball Lapghans, and a few Oddball Shawls. My other projects usually get pushed aside for my charity knitting. But, this year, I'm trying to get on top of ALL of them. :pray:

wezyus
03-17-2009, 12:11 AM
wowwwwwwwww's thats gr888888 to know about how to use reinforcing thread, 1st time i heard of it ...its a gud idea ....thnks dear

Shandeh
03-17-2009, 12:14 AM
Glad I could help! :)

Shandeh
09-07-2009, 04:05 AM
Yay!!! I finally finished the socks!!
I hope my son will like them. :)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2559/3845697723_7b29eac93c.jpg

Dimpledapple
09-09-2009, 05:15 AM
They look great! I envy your son -- red is my absolute favorite color!

melmac51
09-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Love these socks!! :heart: (and, if your son doesn't want them, you can send them to me.)

Shandeh
09-09-2009, 01:48 PM
He's a busy college student, and works full time too. (I don't know how he does it.) Anyway...he says he's looking forward to getting them. We're planning on getting together soon, so I can make a Chef Boyardee Pizza (http://www.chefboyardee.com/tasteefood/kits.jsp)for him, for old time's sake. When my boys were little, I was a poor single mom, so we had that $3 pizza a LOT! :teehee:

xxkarenlxx
09-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Those socks are beautiful. I'm thinking about trying to knit a pair for my son. I know the instructions say one skein, but do you have an idea about how much the socks weigh? I'm guessing that the skein would need to be a large one.

Shandeh
09-10-2009, 05:12 AM
Together, they weigh 1.7 ounces, so one 2 ounce skein would be enough! They each measure about 9 1/2 inches long, from heel to toe.

bambi
09-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Love the socks and thanks for the info about reinforcing thread!

Shandeh
09-10-2009, 08:44 PM
I'm glad to help, Bambi! :hug: