PDA

View Full Version : The Embellish-Knit.....thoughts?

dakatzmeow
06-21-2007, 08:32 AM
i'm considering purchasing this i-cord maker. anyone have one? or one like it? i'd love to hear your thoughts before i spend $17.

http://www.elann.com/productdisp.asp?name=Bond+Embellish%2DKnit%21

talche
06-21-2007, 08:49 AM
I have one. It works great with dk or fingering weight but bad with anything heaver. You also have to watch the weight on the end of the cord if it's not pulling the icord tight the machine has trouble making more stitches they get bunched up on the hooks and tangled.

brownishcoat
06-21-2007, 08:57 AM
I'd get this one instead:

http://www.craftsetc.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=40591&dep=20&cat=53&subcat=15&Search=Y

It's the same price, and it comes with more stuff.

I got my Embellish Knit at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon; I think $17 is too high for my budget, but it's OK with the discount. (If you don't have a Hobby Lobby, you can always work out a deal with someone who does; they have the 40% coupons every other week.)

It's kind of tricky to get started, and the instructions provided didn't work for me. I applied my own knitting knowledge and figured out a great way to do it. It needs to be "helped" along on the first round or so after the cast-on, but once it gets going, it works great.

I made 3 very long i-cords for a braided purse handle in about 1.5 hours.

dakatzmeow
06-21-2007, 02:11 PM
thank you both! i have reconsidered, at least for now. i do have a spool knitter, so i think i will dig it out and try it. it is surely faster than knitting icord by hand!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-23-2007, 12:09 AM
I have an embellishknit, and I hate it. The hooks split the yarn and it's very hard to get the thing started without it turning into a tangled mess. :ick:

KnitClickChick
06-23-2007, 06:37 AM
I got one of those a couple of years ago, the packaging made it seem like a wonder gadget to me. Well, I made a practice cord once, and have not touched it since. In fact, I am not even sure what I did with it! You can only use thin/fine yarn, and I really wasn't impressed with the beginning or end tightness of the I-Cord. Much better and less hassle to just make one by hand, IMHO