PDA

View Full Version : knit nite at my LYS

jeanius80
06-22-2007, 01:21 AM
i finally got brave and went to the knit night at my LYS! it was so great to sit and knit and chat with others who actually understand, and who like the same thing! :cheering: one of the ladies has a daughter the same age as mine. and the owner was celebrating her 8th anniversary of being open, and was giving away door prizes. i got two! woo hoo a beautiful skein of Socks That Rock in farmhouse colorway and a pattern for it, as well as a great book Knitters Companion (http://www.knitpicks.com/The+Knitters+Companion-Expanded+%26+Updated_BD30751.html)! what a great start to what will become a long love affair i am sure :heart:

Jan in CA
06-22-2007, 01:29 AM
:passedout: Wow! How cool! I've been going to my Knit-in's too, but no door prizes. :teehee:

ArtLady1981
06-22-2007, 04:42 AM
i finally got brave and went to the knit night at my LYS! it was so great to sit and knit and chat with others who actually understand, and who like the same thing! :cheering: one of the ladies has a daughter the same age as mine. and the owner was celebrating her 8th anniversary of being open, and was giving away door prizes. i got two! woo hoo a beautiful skein of Socks That Rock in farmhouse colorway and a pattern for it, as well as a great book Knitters Companion (http://www.knitpicks.com/The+Knitters+Companion-Expanded+%26+Updated_BD30751.html)! what a great start to what will become a long love affair i am sure :heart:

Hi Jeani! Where is your LYS? In Spanaway, Puyallup, Tacoma?

jeanius80
06-22-2007, 12:47 PM
i went to lambs ear in tacoma (http://www.lambsearfarm.com/), right on Pacific and 48th. its such a cute little shop, and so friendly! she even has spinning supplies :heart: and she even dyes and sells her own yarns

Sanibelle
06-22-2007, 02:44 PM
That sounds like so much fun I have never been to a knit in since none of the LYS stores around me have one but the other day I went to the LYS across the street from my office to knit at lun. At first At first, I was the only one there with the owner, but after awhile a couple of people dropped by to show off what they were working on. It was so much fun. Bad thing was though, I loved 2 of the other things being made by the other girls and wound up spending $50.00. I did not want to go back to work wwhen my hour was up - it was a blast!

jeanius80
06-22-2007, 02:51 PM
sanibelle maybe you could talk to your favorite LYS owner and see if they would be willing to host a knit night? i am lucky in that both my LYS host knit nights. check out meetup.com, they may have a listing for your area for knitters :)

pandaca
06-22-2007, 05:50 PM
I've been wanting to go to knit night at my LYS, but they charge $5 each week. Is it common for LYS to charge a fee to particiate in knit night? Of course, if I buy something the fee is waived but I can't afford that every week (even if I want to!).

jeanius80
06-22-2007, 06:00 PM
I've been wanting to go to knit night at my LYS, but they charge $5 each week. Is it common for LYS to charge a fee to particiate in knit night? Of course, if I buy something the fee is waived but I can't afford that every week (even if I want to!).
i don't know if that's common, maybe you could ask what the fee goes to? maybe they do activities or use it to provide refreshments? mine are both free :shrug:

Doodknitwit
06-22-2007, 06:20 PM
my fav lys has every Tues night 6-8p.m. open knitting... you bring any project that you purchased there and a great knowledgable knitter/teacher is there to help if you need it...Open Knitting is too much fun!!! the best shop around the area!!!:star::star::star:

:X:

ironmaiden
06-22-2007, 07:48 PM
I don't think my LYS has one of these... they do a class that's sort of freeform on Tuesday nights, but I haven't been yet bc it's $15 and I always seem to be too broke (mostly bc I envision adding at least $40 to that fee for yarn I wouldn't be able to resist)...

Maybe this week.

Knitting_Guy
06-22-2007, 08:03 PM
So how many guys were there?

jeanius80
06-22-2007, 08:31 PM
it was all women but the shop doggie is a male yorkie :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
06-22-2007, 08:48 PM
it was all women but the shop doggie is a male yorkie :teehee:

What was he knitting?

jeanius80
06-22-2007, 08:52 PM
i think it was a farose shawl:mrgreen:

Knitting_Guy
06-22-2007, 08:55 PM
:rofling:

ArtLady1981
06-22-2007, 09:56 PM
i went to lambs ear in tacoma (http://www.lambsearfarm.com/), right on Pacific and 48th. its such a cute little shop, and so friendly! she even has spinning supplies and she even dyes and sells her own yarns

Hi Jeani! :waving:

I knew it!!!!!! I have been to the Lamb's Ear several times! It is not far from my daughter's home in Tacoma. My girlfriend and I made a special trip to the Lamb's Ear a few times! We love :heart: it!

redheadrachel
06-22-2007, 10:02 PM
My LYS has one, but I'm too nervous to go! I still don't think of myself as a "real" knitter, even though I went in the shop last time while a class was going on, and everyone was totally complimenting my purse.
I think I have a knitting complex?

I'm so glad that you had such a wonderful time though. It's great when we can form friendships and have fun when we share this common interest. So nice :D

jeanius80
06-22-2007, 10:19 PM
My LYS has one, but I'm too nervous to go! I still don't think of myself as a "real" knitter, even though I went in the shop last time while a class was going on, and everyone was totally complimenting my purse.
I think I have a knitting complex?

I'm so glad that you had such a wonderful time though. It's great when we can form friendships and have fun when we share this common interest. So nice :D

oh you should go if you can! i am totaly not a social butterfly , but i made myself go. usually i am glad i extend my self outside my comfort zone, but it's hard! i am always worried someone won't like me or i won't fit in.. and as for inferior knitting lol i have only been knitting since februrary, i worked on a booga bag and they were very curious about the yarn (boku) and very complimentary as to my choice. next week i think i am going to start socks and take them with for some help :)

ArtLady1981
06-22-2007, 10:37 PM
So how many guys were there?

Hi Mason! :waving:

You would have loved one of our LYS! It was owned by a man and wife...and he is a better knitter than she is! Also, one of their employees was also a guy, and he still teaches classes in downtown Seattle! One of their best customers was a guy knitter, and his knitting was displayed in the shop! [As a matter of fact, I bought one of his afghans made from all colors of Manos Del Uruguay! The couple was closing down to move out of the USA...so they had a BIG SALE!]

This LYS (formerly called Pastimes Yarn and Sitting Room) sponsored an Alaskan Knitters Cruise in 2004. Four major knitting designers were on board to give intensive classes during cruising time of the Inside Passage. Elsebeth Lavold from Sweden, Chris Blysma from Minnesota, Sasha Kagan from UK, and Nancy Wiseman from my State! The shop owners and their employees were on the cruise as well. We had over 100 knitters from all over the USA! Very cool.
We got 20 hours of instruction with one designer of our choice, and 2 hours of instruction from the other 3.

Wish you were there! Wish someone else would sponsor such a cruise again!

jeanius80
06-22-2007, 10:45 PM
wow artlady! that sounds awsome! i was telling dh what estes festival was, and that maybe for our anniversary next year we could maybe go.. he laughed! he said he had no desire to walk around and look at yarn :rofl:

ArtLady1981
06-22-2007, 11:20 PM
wow artlady! that sounds awsome! i was telling dh what estes festival was, and that maybe for our anniversary next year we could maybe go.. he laughed! he said he had no desire to walk around and look at yarn :rofl:

Yeah, same with my DH. The ONLY TIME he has ever stepped a foot inside a yarn shop was a) to drop me off for the cruise and to meet Elsebeth and Anders (her DH and photographer)...and b) when I was about to knit a jacket for my DH...I told him he BETTER COME WITH ME to chose the yarn...or I might get a soft, sissy yarn! I had pre-selected several yarns for him to look at...and let him chose the yarn and the color. He chose exactly what I predicted he would! Cascade 220 in a drab brown! But, he loves his cardigan jacket with the antler-tips "buttons/toggles"! I got the pattern from a book called "Sweaters Men Will Wear". The author's MAIN ADVICE was "involve the guy in all aspects of the sweater...the pattern, the yarn, the fit." So my DH has several "try-ons" when I was doing the sleeves. Fortunately the sleeves were picked up at the shoulder and knit down to the cuff.

He took my jacket with us on our 2006 Alaskan Cruise! Me and my girlfriend had so much fun on the Knitters Cruise (we left the DH's home for that one!)....we said we would like to do the Inside Passage again with husbands! With the DH's on this trip...we did more adventurous shore excursions! Jetfoil-boat river-trips up into the Eage Preserve, a seaplane trip to a remote lake, etc. Guy stuff!
But it was fun!

Jill A.
06-23-2007, 03:03 PM
My LYS has open knitting time all the time. Group knitting (not classes) meet all day Tuesday, Thursday night and Saturday morning. I go Tuesdays and some Thursday nights. Tuesday is a blast. We usually have between 14 and 20 knitters. We go across the parking lot for lunch (4 places to eat without crossing the street.) Long time knitters help new knitters, everyone gives advice on yarn and pattern choices and cheer each other on when they get stuck. When I was learning how to knit socks, each part of the sock construction was taught to me by a different knitter.
I love my LYS.

zazzu
06-24-2007, 04:36 PM
My LYS has open knitting time all the time. Group knitting (not classes) meet all day Tuesday...

Wow! If I wasn't such a ninny about being cold, I'd move to Utah in a moment. I've heard only wonderful things about the people there, and your LYS sure sounds fabulous. :)

I can understand why some shops have to charge a small fee for their knitting groups. It costs money to heat/cool/light the place, not to mention all the restroom use. ;) And there are people who will just show up to eat free cookies. :rollseyes: Even a small fee can discourage the freeloaders and encourage the serious knitters. I would have no problem paying a fee for a knit-in. Now, if I only had a LYS...