PDA

View Full Version : USA / Europe trades

HamburgKnitter
06-22-2007, 10:39 AM
I was wondering if it would make sense to set up a little network of members who were interested in trading internationally.

For example, Addi needles and certain popular sock yarns like Opal are MUCH cheaper here in Germany. But the Europeans can't get their hands on Socks that Rock or Rockstar yarn (just two examples of many).

There is of course postage to consider, but I think that since neither yarn nor needles weigh much, it might not be a big issue. For example, it would cost me 8 euros to mail something to the states that weighs up to 500 grams, 12 euros to mail up to a kilo (1000 grams). 1 euro = $ 1.35.

If enough people were interested, then maybe Amy would agree to pinning a thread here in the Buy/Sell/Swap section where people can organize international trades with each other. Or maybe there's a better way to go about it...this is just a budding idea I have, so all suggestions would be welcome!

Let me know what you think! :muah:

marykz
06-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Neat idea! I'd love to be a part. I'm happy to look for items from the US and send them just about anywhere! (I love sending and getting mail- I know, so old school!!!)

I have no idea about making it official, but if you have something specific you'd like to work out- just let me know.

gargoylelib
06-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Hello,

Just wanted to chime in and say I'd be interested in this also.
I am in Finland and would love to be able to swap out for
some yarns in the U.S.!

gargoylelib

mare-nitt
06-22-2007, 04:53 PM
I agree, this is a good idea, maybe it could be like an international swap.

I would love to get yarns made in different places. And learning something about the lifestyles in those places. And anyone joining in would be aware of the shipping costs. I will keep an eye out for any finalizing on the idea.

Mairlynn

HamburgKnitter
06-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Cool! :cheering: This could be really good!

robynbird
06-22-2007, 08:43 PM
I think this would be fun. :)

stirsmommy
06-22-2007, 08:44 PM
I would like it. It would be fun.

Ingrid
06-22-2007, 08:59 PM
I'll bring this to the Mods' attention and see what they think.

Personally, I think it's a great idea.

Lady Violet
06-22-2007, 10:33 PM
what a great idea!!!
kind of like living vicariously through our fibers. :teehee:

HamburgKnitter
06-23-2007, 05:33 AM
Thanks for pinning this thread! :heart:

willowangel
06-23-2007, 08:09 AM
I'd be into this - I've found that there's a bunch of places in the states I want to order from that don't ship internationally, and would be happy to get anything from Scotland or that I can get and send it over :-)

jeanius80
06-23-2007, 06:09 PM
i think this is a great idea!

Lieke
06-24-2007, 05:06 PM
I think it's a great idea as well. Although I don't have very much money to spend, and at the moment, I'm swapping with Jeremy, I'd like to do it again in the future. (maybe at the end of the month, when I've got some money left, or otherwise next month)

jeanius80
06-24-2007, 05:28 PM
:shifty: are addi needles really that much cheaper for you eurpean knitters? my lys sells them for about $15 ...

marykz
06-24-2007, 07:05 PM
:shifty: are addi needles really that much cheaper for you eurpean knitters? my lys sells them for about $15 ...
I was just thinking the same thing! Mine sells them for about the same, depending on size/length...

Lady Violet
06-24-2007, 09:14 PM
I'd be into this - I've found that there's a bunch of places in the states I want to order from that don't ship internationally, and would be happy to get anything from Scotland or that I can get and send it over :-)

:drool:

now i already want to knit a kilt. :teehee:

Eloewien
06-24-2007, 10:36 PM
I would love to send stuff :)

snowbear
06-25-2007, 02:13 AM
I'd love to participate... Just let me know... I'd love to be a part.. I live in the middle of the US.. so in addition to yarn stores.. anything else you would like across the big pond?

(I'm in love w/ aero needles... )

:cheering::hug:

snowbear
06-25-2007, 02:14 AM
I forgot to add... anything I don't have locally,, I'd be happy to order & send you way....

HamburgKnitter
06-25-2007, 07:26 AM
I just happen to still have the price sticker stuck to my addi 4 mm (US 6) circular needles case and it says Euro 5.65 = $ 7.60 at today's exchange rate. So it wouldn't be worth getting just one (due to the postage), but more than one would make sense! I can ask at my LYS if all their addis cost the same or whether there is a difference in price with the various sizes.

I have my eye on a few american things which I will post about when I have some "funny money"....hopefully soon in other words!

It's great to see that there is enough interest and that we have a place where we can announce when we're ready to do a trade! :cheering:

snowbear
06-25-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm really wanting a set of AERO needles... I have the old size set, complete,, I'm wanting the mm set of AERO needles.. I've tried others, but just love the way they feel inmy hands..

If anyone over there wants something from over here let me know.. as I would love a full set of the AERO

:hug:

HamburgKnitter
06-25-2007, 12:20 PM
I had to google AERO needles since I've never seen them, and it looks like they come from the UK. There's one person selling them (from Germany) on Ebay.com (the US ebay)...they're asking for less than $2.00 for the needles - but want $35.00 for shipping. Wow! That's ridiculous!

Maybe Willowangel can help you out from Scotland. Otherwise I'll keep looking here, and can ask at my LYS next time I'm there if they can order them for me.

snowbear
06-25-2007, 12:48 PM
That is a perfect example of why we need to build a bridge over the big pond, lol.

Knitters uniting will overcome any obsticale!

I can't wait to help out someone over there with something from here. :hug:

willowangel
06-25-2007, 01:25 PM
There's a bunch of aero needles on ebay atm, but if someone wants me to buy them and send them over, just let me know what the item number is and I'll get it sorted :-) I don't want to risk buying the wrong ones though! I've never heard of them before, I love my addi needles, though, that I got for not much at all.. I really want addi lace needles, though, and they're a little more expensive here... eep...

But anyway, let me know if there's anything on ebay.co.uk and I'll see what I can do :-)

Fi xx

lissalue
06-25-2007, 02:16 PM
I would also be willing to do this, and i think it would be fun. i will have to do some investigation to see what i would want. i am pretty much doing a knitpicks order every month now, so anyone who wants something from there let me know.

lissalue
06-25-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm really wanting a set of AERO needles... I have the old size set, complete,, I'm wanting the mm set of AERO needles.. I've tried others, but just love the way they feel inmy hands..

If anyone over there wants something from over here let me know.. as I would love a full set of the AERO

:hug:

Is this what needle is in the baby blanket? if not, what kind is that? i really like it.

snowbear
06-25-2007, 03:08 PM
NO.. it isn't an aero.. I don't have any of their circular needles... it came from Jo-ann's... their store brand...

I'm trying to decide what aero set I want.. decisions, decisions..

Lieke
06-26-2007, 03:17 AM
In a month, I'll be in London, so I can try to pick some things up there if anybody is interested.

jeanius80
06-26-2007, 12:40 PM
i would be interested in getting some superwash wollmeise ... anyone got a hookup?

Sanibelle
06-26-2007, 08:51 PM
This is such a great idea - I would love to do this as well. If any wants anything from the US I would be more than glad to pick it up and mail it out. I have a great LYS across the street from where I work so it is really convenient for me.

At the moment I cannot think of anything I need and I am going to Europe in September but I would still love to help anyone who want anything from here.

mare-nitt
06-26-2007, 09:04 PM
This should be an interesting trade swap once it is set up.

I too have a LYS near by with lots of goodies and I would love to try some unusal yarns from different areas. (Even pick up some Kool Aide if someone is in the market for it.) So I would be willing to trade, shop or swap.

Mairlynn

ADAllen
06-27-2007, 08:07 AM
I think this sounds wonderful. I may not be too helpful though. I have a LYS, but it's not very big. Maybe when I move I'll have the hook up ;)

HamburgKnitter
06-27-2007, 08:15 AM
i would be interested in getting some superwash wollmeise ... anyone got a hookup?

I can order something for you if you want - whatcha looking for? I assume it can be bought online, I haven't actually checked yet. I keep hearing about Wollmeise, must be good stuff! Can I fondle it a little first before sending it on? :teehee:

jeanius80
06-27-2007, 12:37 PM
oh my oh my... i know her prices are $13 EUR, i just don't know what her shipping costs are...let's see, i think i'd like 2 colors, tiefer see and gewitterhimmel

bajanKnit
06-27-2007, 03:19 PM
I am moving to The uk in 1 weeks time would be glad to join in this marvelllous idea . Give me the Hook up!!!!!

HamburgKnitter
06-28-2007, 07:37 AM
oh my oh my... i know her prices are $13 EUR, i just don't know what her shipping costs are...let's see, i think i'd like 2 colors, tiefer see and gewitterhimmel

I'll check into this on the weekend! :cheering:

marykz
06-29-2007, 09:35 AM
Here's a request- I see on the Simply Knitting Magazine Website that they have published a compilation of the year's most popular patterns. If someone in the UK can pick it up for me I'd be happy to send $$ or swap or buy and mail something you want from the US.

Many thanks, Marykz

bajanKnit
07-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Hi
does anyone know of a site that I can get my hands on some addi turbos I am hearing everyone talk about how great their are and would like to try them.. thanks

mulene
07-12-2007, 09:20 AM
I MAY have some Aero needles. I'll have a look in my stash tonight and let you know.

Aero as far as I am aware, have long since gone out of business, however I know that I personally bought some Aero needles 20 years ago that I never used. I just have to find which "safe place" my mother put them in - they could be anywhere lol

bajanKnit
07-12-2007, 06:07 PM
I MAY have some Aero needles.

Are Aero needles the same as the addi turbos that I want???????

mare-nitt
07-12-2007, 06:22 PM
I am looking for some Sirdar Super Nova Chunky yarn. I think it is made in England.

Does anyone know where I can find some or trade for some.

Marilynn

willowangel
07-12-2007, 06:27 PM
I get my addis on ebay.co.uk - there's a couple of sellers that do really good deals, but I'm not sure about how much they'd charge for international postage - if it's extortionate I can see about buying them and sending them myself, if that's an option?

mulene
07-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Are Aero needles the same as the addi turbos that I want???????

No. Snowbear asked for AERO needles. They were a UK brand of needles and were THE brand that used to be sold here. Everywhere had Aero needles. Today, they have Pony.

I've not had time to look today Snowbear, will try over the weekend for you =D

XbelovedXoneX
07-12-2007, 07:12 PM
I was just drooling over some Wollmeise today also! Also, is there much of a difference in price for Colinette's jitterbug sock yarn? I heard that's yummy too.

snowbear
07-12-2007, 08:03 PM
*waiting for a request from the other side of the big pond to send something over there from here.....:lol:

bajanKnit
07-13-2007, 12:26 AM
I get my addis on ebay.co.uk -there's a couple of sellers that do really good deals, but I'm not sure about how much they'd charge for international postage - if it's extortionate I can see about buying them and sending them myself, if that's an option?

Thanks for offering that very nice :heart:of you but i will be leaving for the Uk this weekend so I would n't need international shipping. I will check out the ebay website as you suggested...

mulene
07-13-2007, 09:30 AM
OOh Snowbear! Look what I found - in US dollars so wondering if it is a US site - they have AERO!

http://www.handknitting.com/Needles-Accessories/Aero-Knitting-Needles

Yep in Lutherville, MD! Hope this helps =D

willowangel
07-14-2007, 01:08 AM
Hello all :-)

I decided to bite the bullet at last and get myself a set of Options (plus a couple of extras, of course ;-)). Only problem is, as they still don't ship internationally, I'm hoping one of you lovely people will help me out by ordering them and sending them on. The total of the order I want to make comes to $77.95, and I have paypal if that helps anyone. I'll obviously pay the paypal charge too, and repostage out to here - just want to get my hands on some ;-)

The extras I'm after are some circs in the smaller sizes for lace knitting, and the viewer.

Hope you're all having a good day (it's 6am here, probably accounting for my 'must...have...options...needles' mindset).

Take care,
Fi xxx

snowbear
07-14-2007, 09:15 AM
I thought I read where they now ship internationally. If they don't I'd be happy to buy them & then send them on to you... let me know

mulene
07-14-2007, 01:03 PM
I thought I read where they now ship internationally. If they don't I'd be happy to buy them & then send them on to you... let me know

They do... just not to the UK /sigh

I'm actually tempted to contact a couple of regular sellers I buy online from (who also run shops) and ask if they would be interested in contacting KP to stock them in the UK.

marykz
07-14-2007, 04:12 PM
I can do it- I'm ordering next week anyways! pm me the exact ones you want and I'll add them in!

Hello all :-)

I decided to bite the bullet at last and get myself a set of Options (plus a couple of extras, of course ;-)). Only problem is, as they still don't ship internationally, I'm hoping one of you lovely people will help me out by ordering them and sending them on. The total of the order I want to make comes to $77.95, and I have paypal if that helps anyone. I'll obviously pay the paypal charge too, and repostage out to here - just want to get my hands on some ;-)

The extras I'm after are some circs in the smaller sizes for lace knitting, and the viewer.

Hope you're all having a good day (it's 6am here, probably accounting for my 'must...have...options...needles' mindset).

Take care,
Fi xxx

mulene
07-16-2007, 09:34 AM
Hi Snowbear!

I can't find my old needles. I have this problem, its called "mum" she puts things in a safe place and then I know its very safe as she can never remember where she put them.

Couple of weeks ago, I lost shoes and make up to wear for a big night out. Now its the Aero needles =/ If I ever find them I'll let you know!

snowbear
07-16-2007, 10:04 AM
No prob... when you do let me know.. Big bear hugs.... Thanks..

mel.b
07-24-2007, 05:24 AM
Hi,

If anyone is doing an order with Knit Picks is it possible to add some yarn for me as they don't ship internationally :( I have a pay pal account and will obviously pay the paypal fee and shipping costs. I also have an ebay acccount (username ysenrab) so you can checkout my feedback. If someone could do this for me, that would be wonderful:hug: PM me and I'll let you know what I want.

Thanks heaps!
Mel.b

mulene
07-24-2007, 06:01 AM
Hi Mel!

Is it Yarn you want or options? If its options I know there is a distributor in Australia - Knitpicks site links to them. I know they also have someone in Finland and I also know that there is a deal in negotiation for a UK distributor (I can't tell you HOW I know just that I know ;) )

For yarn I think you still have to do the USA to Aus trade thing as the distributors don't seem to stock the yarns =(

mel.b
07-24-2007, 06:20 AM
Hi Mulene,

Yeah it's yarn that I'm after. Their reasonings for not shipping internationally seem a bit strange to me!

Mel.b

jeanius80
07-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Hi Mulene,

Yeah it's yarn that I'm after. Their reasonings for not shipping internationally seem a bit strange to me!

Mel.b
i could order and ship for you. PM me, will go from there :)

bajanKnit
07-30-2007, 12:14 PM
hi can anyone help me with a store or stores online or not online where i can get yarn and needles I am in birmingham uk any help would be great thanks.

jeanius80
07-30-2007, 02:44 PM
what are you looking to buy bajanknit?

KnittingNat
07-30-2007, 04:30 PM
Hi everyone! I'm thinking of ordering from Knit Picks and since they won't ship international, i'm looking for someone to ship it to me in Israel. I want a few books, maybe the Options and some yarn. Help...:teehee:

Thanks

snowbear
07-30-2007, 10:21 PM
KnittingNat- what do you want? I'm getting ready to order & I'd be happy to order for you...

creativejesusfreak
07-30-2007, 10:56 PM
Hey this sounds like a good place to post about my business venture idea. I'd like to sell patterns of stuff i make (skirts, tops, armwarmers, whatever you want, i can make it). If anyone's interested i will take pictures of the stuff i've made so you all can see and i'll bang out the pattern for them too. Let me know whatcha think.

jeanius80
07-30-2007, 11:49 PM
creativejesusfreak, we have on our buy/sell/swap forum a place to list your website (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=30557)(if you have one)! another great idea would be to start a thread in the buy/sell/swap forum and list the patterns you have available (photo's would be great!!) good luck!

KnittingNat
07-31-2007, 01:46 AM
KnittingNat- what do you want? I'm getting ready to order & I'd be happy to order for you...
Snowbear, i PM'd you. Thank you :hug:

bajanKnit
08-01-2007, 12:54 PM
what are you looking to buy bajanknit?

I am looking to get yarn and needles as i just moved to the uk and didn't bring any of my stuff here due to lack of space I needed my clothing more LOL thanks for you help.

Lucy78green
08-01-2007, 05:49 PM
I am looking for some Sirdar Super Nova Chunky yarn. I think it is made in England.

Does anyone know where I can find some or trade for some.

Marilynn

There is some sirdar wool here, though just not the exact type your looking for which I have heard has been discontinued, but I've seen it on ebay

http://www.uknit.co.uk/acatalog/Wools_and_Yarns.html

I think they post outside the UK, I bought a pattern from them once so I know they are ok.

Lucy78green
08-01-2007, 06:11 PM
I also found this website that sells Lion Brand yarn in the UK, but I've never bought anything from them
http://www.banyantreeyarns.com/
says they're closed til september as well

marykz
08-20-2007, 04:25 PM
Thank you WIllowangel for my Bumper Book of SImply Knitting!!!!! I love it and you are the best for getting it for me and sending it across the pond- THANKS!!

KnittingNat
09-06-2007, 04:07 AM
I just wanted to say a big thank you to Jeremy for helping me with KnitPicks order! Now i have the Options set and other stuff:cheering::cheering::cheering:!

Jeremy
09-06-2007, 11:37 AM
You are so welcome. I'm was glad to do it.:muah:

marykz
09-19-2007, 09:20 AM
hi there all you UK friends.... the writer of my favorite blog, Jane Brocket at yarnstorm is about to have her book published in the UK. The Gentle Art of Domesticity by Jane Brocket. my mom LOVES her blog and her sense of style, family and home. I would be thrilled to be able to give this to her for Christmas. I will pay for the book, shipping and whatever. Or I could order something in turn for you from the US.

If you see it and are willing- please let me know!!! (or if you find out I can order it through Amazon.uk or something... )

http://yarnstorm.blogs.com/knitblog/

today's post has pictures from the book as a teaser.

I have paypal, and tons of feedback on eBAY as Marykatz and on etsy as marykz

:pray:

pseudonym
09-19-2007, 08:43 PM
Hi Marykz,

I would be happy to get the book for you.
I've just checked on amazon and I can pre order it for 15. (It's out on the 4th Oct)
I'm not sure how much postage would be but it will be easy enough to check if you
are interested.
Amazon seemed to be the cheapest option for you.
Let me know

bajanKnit
09-19-2007, 08:49 PM
hi Tesco has it for 14 pounds !!!

pseudonym
09-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Hi, Tesco add 2.74 postage but it's free from amazon

bajanKnit
09-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Ok I didn't see that BUt If you pick it up from store it would be still 14 ...... Didn't meant to be misleading

pseudonym
09-19-2007, 09:16 PM
You are right bajanKnit I wasn't thinking about the shop itself.
I just checked the internet.

bah
09-19-2007, 09:19 PM
I'm in Japan, and it's not Europe, but if anyone ever wants anything (knitting or otherwise) from here let me know! :)

heykaren
10-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Any websites to see what kind of stuff you have in Japan? Just curious.....

Karen

bajanKnit
10-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Hi any one here willinging to sell or swap sock yarn or dpns??

jeanius80
10-08-2007, 01:50 AM
what are you looking for:)
it's probably easier to ask for what you seek and then someone might be able to fulfil it :)

I have about 2 sets of dpns (nothing fancy) that i don't really use. are you on ravelry? (you could check my stash. the only things i probably won't part with as far as sock yarns are my sea wool and austermann step ;)) name is the same there :mrgreen:

*KnitPixie*
10-08-2007, 12:21 PM
I love my addi needles, though, that I got for not much at all..

Fi xx
How much is not much at all:teehee:I love addis and am trying to find out where they are the cheapest :eyebrow:

bajanKnit
10-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Thanks Jeanius

I want to start knitting socks so not quite savvy with which needles yet. And yes I got got on to Ravelry this week so i will check out your stash.

BonnieBj
10-31-2007, 01:41 PM
:yay: I bought lots of knitting books when I lived in England and lots of yarns, fell in love w/ British wools and other yarns, also the European ones. I would indeed love a source for them. Hang the cost: if you can't get something here then it's worth paying the extra to get it across the pond. And we have no knitting shops anywhere around, just the small selection at Wal-Marts and I hear tell they're thinking of eliminating their crafts section. Nearest decent supplier of yarns is then a 100-mile round trip. :hair:

bajanKnit
11-09-2007, 11:04 AM
hi am looking for a skein of rowan polar in natural it has been discontinued does anyone know where I can source one ?
thanks

knittingbymadi
04-29-2008, 10:24 PM
Now the Jan, mouve me (or recomende me to mouve here) i feel much
better.
my boutique bring new items every week, so check out my fashions
dont exciteted for any question.
http://madisknitting.homestead.com/
love & knit

susi
06-01-2008, 03:43 AM
oh i'd lov e to do this as well. i'm in france so can get things from the uk france italy etc (the yarn in italy is to die for).

anything anyone wants from europe just yell

susi

MoniDew
11-07-2008, 05:53 PM
I don't know why I didn't see this sooner! This is very interesting to me. I am very curious about other cultures and would love to participate. Especially if there are certain yarns that are unique to a particular region of the world - something I would never see in the US. I'd love to be a part of this, if anyone is still active.

Please, if you know of a yarn that is only available overseas, PM me an image or something and tell me about how much it would be in US dollars. If it's do-able, I'm in!!
________
Buy herbalaire vaporizer (http://www.vaporshop.com/herbalaire-vaporizer.html)

Clarity
03-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Good idea. I use a lot of US patterns, and they're unusable if the yarn isn't imported to the UK

ReaGaladriel
10-01-2012, 12:43 PM
I would like to buy 2 balls of bulky yarn for 10mm needles in golden yellow color. This color (http://polkadotrobot.typepad.com/.a/6a0115711f7aaf970b0115702bb0d8970c-pi).

I would like to do something like this (http://img3.etsystatic.com/000/0/6492017/il_fullxfull.329496347.jpg).

I can pay you through paypal. The only thing is I don't know what shipping cost would be. I'm from Croatia in Europe, small country near Italy (we are not in EU).

sunnyhope
01-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Is this thread active now? anyone still intrested in yarn swopping?

Jan in CA
01-28-2013, 08:46 PM
Is this thread active now? anyone still intrested in yarn swopping?

It's apparently not been posted in for awhile.