PDA

View Full Version : First short-row heel!

Robinknits
06-22-2007, 07:15 PM
I did my first short-row heel last night! I learned to make socks using the heel flap method. But I decided to jump in and try this way. It took an hour and a half (and it's a small sock for a 5 yr old), but I did it! I like the way it looks better. Now to finish it and get the next one started!

Braden
06-22-2007, 07:41 PM
It looks great!

samm
06-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Congratulations! Glad you stuck with it. It's a very tidy heel and so easy to do. I'm not sure of the fit though. The ones I did kinda pooch out in the back. :?? I think it has to do with the number of stitches the heel began with. Yours looks right to me. Let me know how it fits, okay!? :lol: Thanks! samm

Knitting_Guy
06-22-2007, 08:05 PM
I'm going to be trying toe up socks soon so this is interesting to me. How does it fit?

Mariblue
06-22-2007, 08:11 PM
That looks really great! I love the way that the short row heel fits, nice and snug (I use a customized sock pattern, so it's made to fit the measurments of the persons foot.) I've never made a sock with the heel flap, though, so I can't compare between the two.

Braden
06-22-2007, 08:30 PM
Mason-all the socks I knit are toe up, and they (the heels) fit great.

Knitting_Guy
06-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Thanks Conti, good to know as that was a concern with toe up.

What part of the country do you live in (assuming the US)? I could learn a lot from you.

Robinknits
06-22-2007, 10:26 PM
I think its going to fit good. I'll let you all know when it's finished.

Still haven't tried toe-up yet. I tried to start one once and got confused with the provisional cast on.

Robinknits
06-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Finished the first sock. It fit my DS's foot perfectly! Now on to the second one!

auburnchick
06-23-2007, 01:48 PM
I'm working on my first pair of toe up socks, and I have to say that it's nice to be able to try on the sock as you go. Starting with the toe is a bit of a challenge to begin with, but then all is okay.

As far as short rows, I don't really like them, but I'm starting to get better at them.

samm
06-23-2007, 07:36 PM
I used an internet pattern to learn short row heels and I wonder if there's a pattern that someone would recommend that they've had good fitting heels with? Mine do not fit well, and stich out in back. Kinda. I did like making them, though, and found it quick. samm