PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use feet?

Eekee
06-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I've read a few posts on the different knitting styles we all have. I'm usually a throw-method knitter, but just last night I was trying to knit continental. I like the speed of continental, but having to hold my first finger up to keep the yarn in place causes my hand too much tension.

So, last night I was working a big bag in the round on circulars.
I discovered that I could hold the working yarn in between my first two toes! I general sit with one foot on the opposite knee anyway, so it worked out really well! I was able to zip around and around, and all my fingers were free to adjust stitches anytime I needed without having to drop the working yarn.

I'd never heard of anyone using feet to knit before, so I thought I'd post the idea and see if I'm completely a freak, or if this sort of thing is common. Obviously, it wouldn't work very well for something where the stitches change up frequently. And since the bag is going to be felted I wasn't too concerned about the icky feet factor.

Anyway, hi everyone. How's that for a weird introduction? :thumbsup:

Ingrid
06-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Welcome! Toe knitting is a new one on me.:rofling:

Eekee
06-22-2007, 09:00 PM
I should clarify, it's more like using the toes to feed the yarn through. Now, if I could KNIT with my toes, I could do two projects at once! :lol:

Knitting_Guy
06-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Well, that's a unique intro :rofling:

Ingrid
06-22-2007, 09:02 PM
If I could knit with my toes, I'd be spending even more time on the computer than I do now!

Knitting_Guy
06-22-2007, 09:23 PM
If I could knit with my toes, I'd be spending even more time on the computer than I do now!

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

Braden
06-22-2007, 09:41 PM
I would, too! :roflhard:

redheadrachel
06-22-2007, 10:05 PM
That's so cool, though! Whatever works :D

Rorshach
06-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Only problem I could foresee with that, is you'd have to be wary of toejam. Though I suppose it'd add a little extra "something" to your knitting :ick: :roflhard:

Seriously though, sounds like a good solution. Definitely a way to de-feet the problem. :roflhard:

Eekee
06-22-2007, 10:35 PM
Toejam?! Eww! Some things are better to NOT think of.

This certainly isn't something I'd do for baby hats or blankets, but for a bag that's basically going to be boiled, a little foot smell won't hurt too badly. (It's a good reminder to touch-up my pedicure anyway.)

I'm just amazed at how fast I can go this way. I bought this yarn yesterday, and I've already knit through a full skein of Cascade 220. (Two actually, since it's double stranded.)

And thanks for the welcomes!

PCwombat
06-22-2007, 11:21 PM
I haven't heard of that before. What I'd be worried about, though, isn't toe jam but rather yarn burns between my toes. I knit continental, and the yarn runs over my index finger and sometimes if I'm just knitting in the round too long, it starts to get sore.

NakedPancakes
06-22-2007, 11:48 PM
I had to use my foot once when my hand like..died. It just hurt really bad and I couldnt move it, so I had to knit with my other hand and my foot.

feministmama
06-23-2007, 12:52 AM
OK I gotta see a picture of this. ANyone in your house have a digital camera?

PixieKnits
06-23-2007, 12:56 AM
lol and welcome!

Liliyarn
06-23-2007, 01:58 PM
I've used feet to wind yarn before I got a swift. Sit with feet out slightly spread, loop the hank over the feet and start to wind. It beats the back of the chair when there isn't a swift.

Nobones
06-24-2007, 06:15 AM
:chair: at the image and the de feet joke! I can't imagine knitting with my feet. I've always got socks on when I take them off my feet go this lovely blue-black colour and I'm told to put them away. I can't imagine for one minute hubby would put up with that. Also, bare toes get chewed on by the cat, you have been warned!