PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed on twin layette

cookworm
06-23-2007, 07:34 PM
If were knitting a layette for unborn twins and didn't know the gender, would you make two of everything in the exact same colors, or would you make different colors? I'm a twin, but I have to say, I'm stumped on this one. My sister and I liked dressing alike when we were really little, but then when we got older, we wanted to be different. Do people think it's cute to see twin babies dressed exactly alike? :shrug:

I'd ask the parents for their opinions about colors, but I want this to be a surprise.

earthchick
06-23-2007, 08:06 PM
I think twin babies dressed alike are cute. But I think two of the same items in two different colors are really cute too. With my boys I did a lot of that - same outfits, but in different colors. Honestly, I loved getting matching outifts, and I loved getting coordinated outfits. And wow, if someone had given me a whole twin layette - I'd have been thrilled to pieces, no matter the colors.

You're a good friend for doing it! :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
06-23-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm not a twin nor do I have them, but I'd say make the same thing, but in different colors.

I agree with Stacey though that anything would be welcome and loved!

jeanius80
06-23-2007, 08:28 PM
i would say do it either same pattern different colors, or alternating colors, or maybe just completely different. :teehee: as a mom, if i had twins, it would great to have more choices instead of two of the same thing, KWIM? what a great friend you are! :mrgreen:

lissalue
06-23-2007, 08:41 PM
My friend recently had twins, and she requested white for the hats i made them, but i wanted them to be somewhat different, so i did different patterns.

i would say what everyone else has said, same pattern, different coordinating colors, or different coordinating pattern with diffferent coordinating colors, or a little of both.

i like to see twins dressed the same occasionally, on special occasions, but i think that it is good for them to each have there own stuff too.

just my 2 cents. hope this helps:hug:

debinoz
06-23-2007, 10:32 PM
I have twin great nephews and the only way we could tell them apart was by the color they wore. One always in blue and one always in green.

Susan P.
06-23-2007, 11:05 PM
I tend to agree with most of the posts already up. What I would probably do would be to offset yarn colours so...if I had a yellow jacket with a white trim, I would make the second jacket white with a yellow trim.

This way there is a 'relationship' between the two items but a celebration of individual difference.

cookworm
06-24-2007, 12:14 AM
I tend to agree with most of the posts already up. What I would probably do would be to offset yarn colours so...if I had a yellow jacket with a white trim, I would make the second jacket white with a yellow trim.

This way there is a 'relationship' between the two items but a celebration of individual difference.

I considered doing that and thought it would be a really cute way to tie the two things together. They'd be different, but "related".

Thanks everybody for your great ideas and your help--this helps a lot! :muah:

hunterjenn
06-24-2007, 12:50 AM
I usually dress my twin boys in outfits that are the same style, but different colors. Having 2 of the same color makes it hard for grandparents (and others) to tell them apart! ...just ask my mom, who once fed the same baby twice, and then couldn't figure out why the other baby wouldn't stop crying! :doh:

Mariblue
06-24-2007, 02:03 AM
I usually dress my twin boys in outfits that are the same style, but different colors. Having 2 of the same color makes it hard for grandparents (and others) to tell them apart! ...just ask my mom, who once fed the same baby twice, and then couldn't figure out why the other baby wouldn't stop crying! :doh:
Aww, poor hungry baby...:hug:
I've got twin nephews. My sister does the same as most everyone has mentioned here (similar style, different colors).

GinnyG
06-24-2007, 09:36 AM
I AM A TWIN AND I HATED DRESSING ALIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!! At 52 I still remember how much I disliked it!!!!!

I vote for the same pattern in different colors OR use two colors ie green and yellow but changei it around. For example make one green with yellow trim and the other yellow with green trim. That way they are "the same" but "different"

aineepooh1
06-24-2007, 12:56 PM
I also agree with everyone else... DoNT make them identical ..noone will be able to tell them apart :ick::ick::ick:(except their mama):aww:. Plus if you alternate the pattern white/ yellow for one baby.. yellow/ white for another. incase one baby soils the outfit mom can still mix and match the clothes.. to get a little more wear out of them. Plus like Ginny G said.. some kids may HATE being dressed alike(although as a baby this is doubtful) but IMHO.. make them similar but not identical.. mom may get SICK of looking at the same color/pattern everyday.. and dad too~!:aww:

Jan in CA
06-24-2007, 01:02 PM
I think people are forgetting that babies won't care in the least if they are dressed alike so this is for the parents. I can't wait to see your FOs!

cookworm
06-24-2007, 02:07 PM

:teehee: Poor little thing! I think that happened more than once with my sister and me, too. About telling twins apart...sometimes, people will never be able to, even when they reach adulthood. My paternal grandmother never did learn to tell us apart, even though I favored her in appearance, and my sister favors our maternal grandmother in her appearance. We were identical twins when we were little, but once we got older, we really don't look identical. We look like sisters I think, but not twins. And we do really have very different personalities I think, too, which I would think would help people to tell us apart, but some people still can't.:shrug: (But it made for a fun date one time when my sister and I switched clothes on my boyfriend and he thought that she was me, and put his arm around her!:twisted: :teehee:)

aineepooh1
06-24-2007, 03:59 PM
NOW WE KNOW WHY YOU ARE THE MEAN TWIN~~!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofling::clink:

dakatzmeow
06-24-2007, 11:39 PM
i voted all items same color. that way the pieces and parts are interchangeable depending on who spit up on which piece. ;)

cookworm
06-25-2007, 10:12 AM
NOW WE KNOW WHY YOU ARE THE MEAN TWIN~~!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofling::clink:

I was probably the baby to get fed twice while my sister was the poor, starving twin! :rofl:

Inaru816
06-25-2007, 10:36 AM
This is mostly a necessity at birth to tell them apart!

aineepooh1
06-25-2007, 02:07 PM
so ..Cookworm have you decided what colors you want to make the twins' layette~!:think:

cookworm
06-25-2007, 07:00 PM
I'm not exactly sure. I don't have a LYS nearby, so I had to go to one of the chain stores (Michaels, Joanns, Hobby Lobby) for yarn, and there was a limited selection--only HL had the DK yarn that I wanted, and the selection of colors they had were very limited. So what I think I will do is to make the sweaters in the same color (off white), and I'll either put different buttons on them, and/or edge them out in a different color. Then I'll make hats and booties in the color that I used for contrast, but I don't know what I'll do for the blankets yet. I really hate being limited on my ideas by selection, but I have to get moving on this, so I had to grab what I could today and not wait for an order to be shipped. Hopefully I can start on one of the sweaters tonight--those will take the longest out of the garment stuff (the hat and booties will fly by). I saw something in Patternworks catalog for a "car seat blanket" which is a smaller size blanket that I think I might make instead of a full-blown size baby blanket (because somebody else the parents know always crochets baby blankets and I don't want to step on her toes) which will also be easier for me because it'll be quicker. I'm excited about doing this--I just made my first baby sweater for a good friend of mine, and I'll be using that same pattern because I'm familiar with it now, and I am hoping they'll turn out pretty cute.

Jan in CA
06-25-2007, 08:05 PM
I like the idea of different edgings and buttons on each one!

Shandeh
06-25-2007, 10:51 PM
I think you should make completely different items for them. Because they are separate babies, with different personalities.

marykz
06-26-2007, 01:15 PM
my dearest friend had triplets. they HAD to use different colors. at birth (when dressed) you couldn't tell them apart. It was a little easier when they were nekkid, as one is a girl, but the 2 boys are totally identical. She said the worst was when people (trying to be thoughtful) sent 3 identical outfits. No one could tell who was who.... Especially later, looking back at pictures. (now which one is that?? oh yeah- Robert always wears blue..)

redheadrachel
06-26-2007, 01:21 PM
I'd say mix it up with two different, but equally adorable, outfits! Different clothes for different people :D

cookworm
06-26-2007, 03:24 PM
I like the idea of different edgings and buttons on each one!

I'm so unoriginal/uncreative, it isn't even funny! :oops: I can't ever think of anything cute or clever on my own, but I'm a good "copier" if I see something cute or clever! :teehee: Edgings and/or buttons was as creative as I could think of, so I hoped it might look nice when it was done.

It's hard to know what to do, especially because I don't know the gender of the babies. So I have to try to do something non-gender-specific, as well as trying to decide whether to make the outfits complimentary to each other, or something totally different. A part of me also thought it would be really cute to do identical outfits, but I know, not all multiples like being dressed the same (and while maybe the babies won't know, maybe their parents wouldn't like it, I don't know). My mom dressed my sister and I alike until we were like maybe 7, and we never really minded it until we got a bit older, but not everybody feels the same way I realize. I wanted the layettes to be a total surprise so I don't want to ask opinions from the parents or close relatives, so I'm on my own, with the help of all of the great KH'ers! :cheering: I'm knitting the first sweater now as the sweaters will take me the longest probably, and then once that one's done, I can step back and see what I might want to do for the second one with regards to colors. In addition to being non-creative, I'm also indecisive! :rofl::oops:

aineepooh1
06-26-2007, 03:36 PM
What kind of yarn is this DK yarn you were talking about? Cotton, synthetic, wool blend... when are the babys due? I lke the idea of different buttons trim... how long before mom/dad knows the sex.. can you knit the sweaters now and wait for the edging/details til closer to the due date. or do you wnat it done asap? You could always put a shawl color on the girl set if you like ... I like bernat cotton tots alot:heart::heart: ( I have been making boccos of stroller/carrier blankets with it and my feedback has all been positive) ...IMHO it's super soft and has mulitple varigates that you could mix and math with solids to mix up the palate for the babies Maybe put a pocket on the sweaters and make them different colors and different colors on the collars..
Can you post a pic of your yarn.. WE NEED MORE INFO HERE~!:think::think:

Stiney
06-26-2007, 03:49 PM
:oops: I haven't read this thread yet, because I don't know what a layette is. :oops:

aineepooh1
06-26-2007, 05:20 PM
It's a baby gift set.. usually including booties, cap and/ or cardigan and blanket... It's kind of like a gift set that baby can use as his/her "going home" outfit~!:aww:

Shandeh
06-26-2007, 10:00 PM
:oops: I haven't read this thread yet, because I don't know what a layette is. :oops:

Here's a vintage layette set:
http://www.knitsandbitsbylinda.com/images/Baby%20Items/BabySetBlue.jpg

Stiney
06-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Ahhh.

aineepooh1
06-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Cookworm:Where ARE you?? We need input here ASAP~!:wall:

cookworm
06-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Hi aineepooh1! What are the stroller/carrier blankets that you make, with regards to size, shape? That sounds interesting, because I don't really want to do a full size blanket (as I mentioned, I think somebody else may be doing that, and it's usually this woman's typical gift for expecting parents, so I didn't want to seem like I was "upstaging" her).

I'd really like to finish everything a.s.a.p., because when we found out the couple were expecting, the mom was already past her first trimester. With having twins, there is always a chance to deliver prematurely (which my sister and I were 2 months premature), so I don't know exactly how much time I have to knit--this all has to be done while my three kids are on summer break; one of which is a two-year-old. I can't find much time to knit during the daytime! :hair: :verysad:

I'm thinking that I will knit both of the little sweaters in cream yarn, and then, I would like to make bolder colors for the edging instead of using pastels, that way if the babies are born prematurely, by the time they will fit into these things, it won't feel so much like infant stuff and it'll be more like something for an older baby (did I word that well enough to make sense?:teehee:). I'm thinking maybe to edge one out in burgundy, and maybe edge one out in tan or light brown (or maybe do one of the edgings out in grey). I figured any one of those are pretty good either way with regards to gender. I'd like to add some cute novelty buttons to them if I can find some that will fit the button specs in the pattern, too which will be not only a cute addition but also will add some extra style to the sweaters and can tie in the edgings further.

I'm thinking both sets of booties will be identical in cream (no edging), but the hats--while the main color will be cream--will have a stripe or edging or the ribbing done in the contrast colors. On Lion Brand's web site, I saw this (http://cache.lionbrand.com/stores/lionbrand/pictures/bk4k-0603004a.jpg) hat pattern and thought it might be cute to use since it contains not only that contrast yarn, but a cute pattern to boot, and then they have a nice blanket (http://cache.lionbrand.com/stores/lionbrand/pictures/bk4k-0603002a.jpg) to go with it; I think the blanket has an heirloom feel to it with the lace edging, and it's a smaller size (pattern says it's a 14" square) that can be used as a receiving blanket or a car seat blanket I think, but is this really too small? :scratchinghead:But again, I'm not sure on what to do...I'm just throwing ideas around. If I can get a nice block of knitting time in today, I should have the first little sweater all finished up--knitting and seaming even!:happydance:--today (I'll still have to pick out and sew on the buttons and do the edging), so that's a load off of my mind. Then I can start on the second sweater right away.

bajanKnit
06-27-2007, 12:38 PM
First let me say You are a great friend and have a big heart!!!!I totally agree with the majority same pattern just jazz it up abit with different color or edging or notions like your button idea. I pray you finish them in time I am sure your friend wil be blow away by your Gifts. I really don't know much about twins except that my Husband grandmother had 7 twins none identical and all mixed b&g so my husband is hoping we have twins as well.

cookworm
06-27-2007, 02:35 PM
my Husband grandmother had 7 twins none identical and all mixed b&g so my husband is hoping we have twins as well.

My goodness--that is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your husband's grandmother must have a halo shining above her head, taking care of so many children that came in groups of the exact same age!

I'm hoping I get everything done in time, too. I'm knitting like crazy every chance I get (haven't gotten much sleep over the last few days, though). I'm going to complete this first sweater today if it kills me! Then I can worry about buttons and edgings for it, but that won't take long to do, so I won't obsess about getting that part done.

If you and your husband have twins, that would be great!!! I told my sister that I had hoped for twins too when I was expecting, that way you get a "Twofer" (two children for the price of one pregnancy)! :cheering: And they have each other as playmates so they won't be lonely. My twin sister is my very best friend...she's the only person that truly understands me, despite my quirkiness. :teehee:

marykz
06-27-2007, 02:43 PM
stroller/carrier blankets are great- they don't get caught in the wheels or dragged on the ground or pulled thru the mud at the playground..... I've crocheted a few and I try to make them about 30x50 I think. (truthfully I don't really measure them. I cast on for about as long as my keyboard for the computer, and go proportionally until I think it looks long enough....)

bajanKnit
06-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Yeah she is great!!!And I am glad you are pressing onward with your pieces! My prays will be with you.

[but please don't kill your self even though I know you are joking I am sure your friend would much rather you alive than the gifts]

jeanius80
06-27-2007, 02:50 PM
two different greens would be good for boys or girls :) you could use a pale or sage for one set and a grassy or brighter green for the other. i love bright colors for babies! if you had chosen white instead of cream, you could do an orange/white combo and a yellow/white combo HTH

aineepooh1
06-27-2007, 03:31 PM
Cookworm.. I like the patterns you chose. I like the hat.. it is cute and fun looking with its big pompom on top, I also like the blankie b/c it does have an heriloom feel to it. I have knitted 1 baby blankie and crocheted 2. For the knitted... just simple garter stitch but i used homespun (it was a gift) and b/c its boucle, bubbly texture it looks super fluffy and the receipient really liked it. The crochet blankies ( I just made two) I have been using hdc (half double crochet) b/c its faster thatn sc (single crochet) but less work thatn double crochet. I used cotton tots on them and really like them b/c between thesolids and varigates it made an interseting pattern.:thumbsup:
As far as your layette.. how about primary colors.. red/blue.. blue/ green that way they would be a nice contrast to the cream. IMHO I really like varigaes b/c they make their own pattern as they go and that would be really cute for the hats. The blankie if its lacelooking use a solid( like you didnt know that already) but for the hats it would be give some POP to the set. I personally only make stroller blankets (although people ask me all the time to make a "baby' blanket,... they even offered money for it:passedout:) but I like stroller b/c its quicker.. AND.. you won't have to worry about stepping on the other ladies toes (b/c thats her thing).
Just my opinion.. you can take it:waving::waving: or leave it~:noway::noway:

wildflower38
06-27-2007, 03:37 PM
We have a bunch of twins in my family. Most of the kids do not dress exactly like, but prefer to be seen as individuals.

cookworm
06-27-2007, 09:09 PM
two different greens would be good for boys or girls :) you could use a pale or sage for one set and a grassy or brighter green for the other. i love bright colors for babies! if you had chosen white instead of cream, you could do an orange/white combo and a yellow/white combo HTH

I thought about greens, too. The dad is part Irish so I thought it would be especially cute! I like bright colors for babies, too--I think it's really cheerful, so that's why I was trying to think about non-pastel combinations that weren't gender specific.

aineepooh1, my daughter LOVES the Homespun blanket I made her. In fact, the first shawl I made for myself was out of Homespun, and she stole it all the time (she called it "her 'blanket'", so I had to make her a blanket out of the same yarn). I thought about doing blankets out of Homespun because they'd knit up kind of fast, but I'm not sure yet. I'm working on getting those sweaters done first, then the hats and booties. Hopefully I'll have time to do the blankets too.

I too thought about primary colors and thought it would be cute. I just don't know...there's so many options to choose from (which is a good thing, of course!).

aineepooh1
06-28-2007, 01:00 AM
Here I go repeating myself.. if you want to make blankies (make the stroller ) but I would let dear so and so... make the BIG baby blankets..
Your'e doing enough knitting already~!:thumbsup:
also: dear so and so won't feel threatened b/c you are making such nice big projects for the babies~!:waving:

cookworm
06-28-2007, 01:51 AM
Here I go repeating myself.. if you want to make blankies (make the stroller ) but I would let dear so and so... make the BIG baby blankets..
Your'e doing enough knitting already~!:thumbsup:
also: dear so and so won't feel threatened b/c you are making such nice big projects for the babies~!:waving:

I think so too (that I'm already doing enough knitting and a smaller blanket should be fine to include). marykz mentioned that she usually does about a 30x50 size--what size typically are the blankets you make? Honestly, I don't want to knit a larger blanket because I'm already spreading myself thin with knitting the other items (two of everything! And ideally, I'd like to have everything finished by next week! :thud:[Sleep? What's that? :teehee:]), but I don't want something to seem too small and have the babies outgrow them right away.