PDA

View Full Version : Worth it to buy a book?

redheadrachel
06-25-2007, 12:35 PM
Hey everyone. I learned to knit online and get all my help and patterns from free online sources, and now I'd say I'm a semi-experienced knitter. Do you guys think it's worth it to purchase a book, either for reference or for patterns? What are some good first knitting books?

Nobones
06-25-2007, 02:20 PM
You've GOT to have books! Books are portable (so are laptops I know but you can't use laptops in hospitals!).

There are so many books out there it really depends on what things you want to knit, to what book you buy. I recommend 'The Knitting Bible', there are good techniques and a lovely stitch pattern library along with some nice projects. There are some errors in it, but they are on the website and somewhere on here.

I also love the 'Stitch and Bitch' books, I like the patterns and funny way of writing. I have read a lot of people recommend 'Vogue Knitting' But I've never seen that so don't know.

I have a lot of patterns saved to disc that I got online, but I couldn't be without my books.

ready2knit
06-25-2007, 02:45 PM
I think it depends on the type of person you are. I'm a huge fan of books and read whenever I'm not knitting ( or online), but I don't care for knitting books that much. Regarding refernce, I do much better w/ online videos or being shown in person. Regarding patterns, I've never wanted to knit the better part of the patterns in any book, so I've never bought one.

That being said, I do have a book of motif patterns for baby/kid projects and adding to sweaters. I get most of my patterns from my LYS or magazines.

So again, it's really what type of person you are. The reference books I've purchased have gone to waste. Go to Barnes and Noble, they have a great selection of knitting books, so browse until you find something you think may be of use.

Good luck!

cftwo
06-25-2007, 03:12 PM
Yes, I think it can be worth it to buy some knitting books. I just bought the Knitting Answer Book http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Answer-Book-Solutions-Question/dp/1580175996/ref=sr_1_28/102-9353318-1006561?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1182798540&sr=8-28 which gives me great references on things I didn't know as well as basics. I love to have pattern books (or magazines) around, too. One thing I would recommend, though, is that you try to buy more classic designs, or things which will work well over time. Some good basic hats, mittens, scarf, or design-your-own sweater type books are good references, though.

wildflower38
06-25-2007, 03:22 PM
I'm a new knitter and have been knitting for the past 8 months and the books I've found to be most helpful and I use in conjunction with this site are:

1. The Knitting Answer Book by Margaret Radcliffe

2. Knitting in Plain English by Maggie Riighetti

Stiney
06-25-2007, 03:28 PM
I've got the Ultimate Book of Vogue Knitting (or something like that) for reference. I also have Sensational Knitted Socks for sock reference. I have Knitting Over the Edge, which is a stitch dictionary for edges, and I would buy the other knitting/edge books. I have an EZ book for reference, too. I also want to buy some stitchionaries, and the Yarn Harlot's books. But I probably wouldn't buy a pattern book, unless I liked EVERYTHING in it. You can always find patterns online or in lys that are either free or much better deals.

Sanibelle
06-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Another vote for the VOgue Ultimate Knitting book. It has everything I ever need in it.

Quiara
06-25-2007, 05:00 PM
My favorite knitting book is Knitting Rules by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. It's a simple breakdown of just about anything you'd need to know. And it's small, well-written and I find it endlessly useful. But then again, I'm pretty much a fan of anything the Harlot writes.

CurlyBrunette
06-25-2007, 05:09 PM
I dont necessarily buy how to books (i do have the knitting answer book and When bad things happen togood knitters) that show how to's more than books with beautiful pictures and patterns. Some of my favorite books are: Victorian Lace Today, Mason-Dixon Knitting, any sock book especially Sensational Knitted Socks and More Sensational Knitted Socks.
I also have a rule about books: I have to like at least 4 patterns in a book to buy it.

ironmaiden
06-25-2007, 05:45 PM
If you like the patterns in a book, then buy it :D.

I print out all of the patterns I want to try that I find online and keep them in a 3-ring binder so I don't have to look them up on the computer whenever I want to knit something. Sort of like making your own book :D.

ironmaiden
06-25-2007, 05:46 PM
I also have a rule about books: I have to like at least 4 patterns in a book to buy it.

That makes a lot of sense - just to make it worth your money to pay $20+ for the book - at $5 per pattern, not too bad.

mwedzi
06-26-2007, 07:24 AM
I think it's good to have a decent reference book, and I think this is more important than a pattern book. Since you already know a lot of the basics, I'd recommend the Big Book of Knitting. It's very well illustrated with color photographs and has lots of options for all kinds of things, and in many areas gives you advanced knowledge. The one downside to this book is that the index sucks.

For real beginners, I'd recommend Teach Yourself Visually Knitting. It is also very well illustrated with color photographs and covers most of the basics.

LeslieRR
06-26-2007, 08:31 AM
I have both Vogue Knitting and the Knitters Handbook. They are great references.

I used the Knitters Handbook last night when I dropped a stitch and had to pick it up. The diagrams are precise and very helpful. There are also about 30-40 ways to cast on and cast off in there, which is really interesting.

The Vogue book is very good as well. It's kind of expensive, but I have found the diagrams and explanations very good.

A good reference is nice to have around.

pandaca
06-26-2007, 10:51 AM
I love Knitting for Peace. It's great, especially if you're interested in charity knitting.

clb1968
06-26-2007, 01:48 PM
When I see a book mentioned online or somewhere else, I see if it is available at my local library, I check it out and have three weeks to see if I want it, then can buy it online somewhere, or at a local bookstore.

cookworm
06-27-2007, 11:05 AM
When I was taking knitting classes, my instructor couldn't recommend Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book (http://www.amazon.com/Vogue-Knitting-Ultimate-Book/dp/193154316X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-5266327-8784803?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1182955995&sr=8-1) (ISBN 193154316X). At almost $40, I was a little bit nervous, but I knew that once I got this hardcover book, it would probably last forever--I just went to Joann's and used a 50% off coupon (back when they used to give out 50% off coupons and not 40% ones :wink:) and that made it really affordable, and an extremely worthwhile purchase. It's a GREAT reference book, for techniques, different stitch patterns, etc.--I use it often. I have a couple of knitting books too with patterns (SnB, Weekend Knitting) that I bought for just a few patterns in the book, but I figure that once I've made some of my favorite patterns more than once (the SnB "Newsboy Cap" is one of my favorite repeat projects), I learned how it went together, and so I designed a similar cap myself, changing things where I wanted to customize it. If nothing else, you can buy a knitting book for just a few patterns that you like, and then once you learn how to do the projects, you can do the same (customizing them your way). I think it's a neat way (maybe a "cheater's way"?) to "break into" designing your own patterns.

Sally Melville "The Knitting Experience" series books are also pretty good for their techniques as well as their patterns. I got "Book 1: The Knit Stitch" (http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Experience-Book-Knit-Stitch/dp/1893762130/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-5266327-8784803?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1182956337&sr=1-1) (ISBN 1893762130) and "Book 2: The Purl Stitch" (http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Experience-Book-Purl-Stitch/dp/1893762149/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/002-5266327-8784803?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1182956337&sr=1-3) (ISBN 1893762149) for Christmas last year, and I refer to them a lot. They have nice beginner patterns that look much more intricate (I think, anyway) than just beginner stuff.

If you sign up with them, Borders will e-mail coupons to you on a regular basis--usually every week--for like 20% and 30% off. Also, Amazon.com has some GREAT deals on used books; I buy almost all of my cooking books through them and get them CHEAP--usually the books are cheaper than shipping and handling! I've always had great experiences buying the used books, both on the quality of the books (they look new to me) and on the sales end (receive them well packaged, good price, and rather quickly). Hope some of what I rambled on about helps!