PDA

View Full Version : Pinwheel Sweater anyone??

Quiltlady
06-25-2007, 08:23 PM
I am going to knit this "Pinwheel Sweater" for my gd. I just ordered all the yarn from Elann.:cheering: I chose different colors than they did.

I was wondering if anyone wants to join me in a Knig Along??:pray: Here is the sweater.... Its a FREE pattern.

http://www.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=138024

If you've been wanting to give this a try now is the perfect time!!:happydance:

suzeeq
06-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Heh, I started it a coupla weeks ago and am maybe a little more than halfway across the back. Hancock's had a closeout on Woolease in Denim. I bought 6 skeins, but think I may need only 4 or 5. I'm doing it on 10.5s. sue

Quiltlady
06-26-2007, 03:28 AM
How is it coming along? Are you finding the pattern easy to follow.? What size are you making..the adult or the child's?

I've had my eye on this pattern for awhile. I am ready to tackle something "different" and this is it.

I'll let you know when I got my yarn in the mail. I choose purples to light pink for my colors.:cheering:

suzeeq
06-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Oh the pattern's quite easy. Even though I'm not doing YOs for the increases there's still a pinwheel effect. It's for me and all one color.

Quiltlady
06-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Suzeeq, how come you are not making Yo's??:?? I think I need to learn a lot more about knitting. Fill me in please!! What are you doing instead?:shrug:

suzeeq
06-26-2007, 01:37 PM
I just didn't want YOs; since I'm using 10.5s instead of 8s, they would be too `holey'. So I'm using the KLL increase which is shown on the increases page.

kellyh57
06-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Would this be easy enough for a first garment? I've never knit anything to wear, except a few scarves and my current FT Clogs. Do you think I should try it?

suzeeq
06-26-2007, 10:55 PM
If you can increase, knit in the round and follow directions, it's mostly yards and yards of stockinette. Not difficult at all.

kellyh57
06-27-2007, 12:27 AM
Well, then. Let me check my stash. I think I should have enough. I'm not going to get anything fancy for it since I'm still leary about it turning out decent. Thanks!

Kelly

Quiltlady
06-27-2007, 09:30 AM
Kelly, That would be great if we could "Knit Along" together. I can't start mine until I receive my yarn order. I'll post as soon as it arrives.

Anyone else care to join us??:lol:

Kelly, my dd is expecting their second child at the end of November. I believe she's in her 15th week. She can feel the baby moving around. She has a 4yr. old dd and we are all hoping for a boy but we will love ANYONE that God sends us.

gargoylelib
06-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Oh darn! I just finished mine that I was making for my niece and it
would have been nice to knit along with some others. Hmmm...wonder
if my dd would like one :think: It worked up really fast so I am tempted to do another....
Libbie

suzeeq
06-27-2007, 10:52 AM
You can still pop in and see if you can answer questions anyone has about it. I know that many people have trouble with the directions for the BO/provisional cast on for the sleeves. The original directions were much easier to do, though some people didn't understand them either.

kellyh57
06-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Kelly, my dd is expecting their second child at the end of November. I believe she's in her 15th week. She can feel the baby moving around. She has a 4yr. old dd and we are all hoping for a boy but we will love ANYONE that God sends us.

I wanted another boy because we have a basement full of boys' clothes and toys! (I have a 4-yo and 2-yo boy already.) But, as I told everyone else, as long as the baby is fine, I'm happy. Most people were hoping for a girl for me, but I was scared of having a teenage girl! I just can't wait to meet him now!!

Kelly

gargoylelib
06-27-2007, 01:14 PM
You can still pop in and see if you can answer questions anyone has about it. I know that many people have trouble with the directions for the BO/provisional cast on for the sleeves. The original directions were much easier to do, though some people didn't understand them either.
Yes, I would happy to answer any questions if I can. I have to
confess though, I didn't do the sleeves the way the pattern
suggested. When it came to the point for the sleeve opening I just
knit the required stitches with a scrap yarn and then re-knit those
stitches with my working yarn and kept going. I don't know what
this method is called but it is used in several mitten patterns (for
the thumb) that I have so I wanted to try it for the larger opening of
the sleeve. :)
Libbie

suzeeq
06-27-2007, 01:19 PM
I think it's called the `afterthought' opening and that's the method posted in the pattern originally. I did this too and think it looks much better than binding off then doing a provisional CO. Less work too!

gargoylelib
06-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Ok, so it wasn't so innovative of me :D Definitely made more sense
to me to do it that way and like you say less work!

suzeeq
06-30-2007, 10:10 AM
Well, I guess it really helps if you actually read the pattern, right? Here I was, about 32" across, merrily increasing every other row, joking about it being a hat for The Big Giant Head and thinking `this is really huge, how many sts am I supposed to wind up with in each section...?' :scratchinghead: Because, of course, I'm not knitting it to any of the gauges in any of the pattern variations. So I look it up and yikes! I'm supposed to switch over to garter stitch and only increase every 6th row when it's about 12" from the center. :oops:

Okay, I just have to rip back to about where I started the 2nd skein. The good news is, the yarn will go a lot further now..... :teehee:

Quiltlady
06-30-2007, 05:09 PM
I have been working on the sweater and I am on the part where I have the 18 st. between increases. Then it says...

Next Round: knit the first set of 18 stitches and the yo from the round "before". What do they mean by before?? Do they pick up the yo that is NEXT in otherwords "after" and not before??:shrug:

I'm stuck until I understand this..I'm sure its simple. Thanks

suzeeq
06-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Knit the YO that's at the end of that section. It was made on the previous round - that's what they mean by before.

Quiltlady
06-30-2007, 09:46 PM
Thanks Suzeeq, I'll continue on with it tomorrow.:lol:

Doodknitwit
06-30-2007, 10:41 PM
i made a circle vest from the book Silk Knits... fun

itsjustmeghan
07-05-2007, 09:05 PM
this is on my list of project for later this summer. i really want to get it knit up before it cools off here. i think it'd be an awesome sweater to have on hand for those cool nights....what yarns are you using? i'm planning on doing it in one color...just not sure what yarn id like to use.

suzeeq
07-05-2007, 11:20 PM
Mine's all one color in Lion's WoolEase. Ran into a closeout I just couldn't pass up.

Quiltlady
07-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Well mine is moving along nicely. But I have put it aside for a short while so I can finish up a hat I'm knitting in a KA.

I'll get right back to the sweater soon.

itsjustmeghan
07-06-2007, 10:51 PM
what kind of woolease did you use? just the regular worsted weight?
just curious.
oh! and what color? i thought about getting their heathered grey. i can't wait to see pictures of progress. and i'm curious to see how people do their sleeves. putting the stitches on that other yarn for a couple rows seems like it'd be easier, i've just never done it before, so i'd need some detailed instructions....

suzeeq
07-06-2007, 11:17 PM
Regular woolease worsted in denim, though it seems slightly heathery. I'm to the edging; I found a lacy rib pattern that I changed so it would look the same from both sides. Hope it works out. Then the sleeves and I may mirror the lace rib for the cuffs too.

For the sleeve openings.... knit those stitches with waste yarn, put the stitches back on the left needle and knit them again with the sweater yarn. The waste yarn acts both as stitch holder and provisional caston. Then go on, and on, and on.... ;D

kellyh57
09-03-2007, 12:16 PM
I've got mine going! I started this weekend and I'm on the 3rd color. I haven't gotten to the sleeves yet (yikes!) I'm doing mine in different shades of TLC Heathers. I got some on clearance and then bought the rest over the last few weeks with coupons from JoAnn!

Kelly

Quiltlady
09-06-2007, 04:37 AM
Well I ran into trouble with the sleeves. So I put it aside and that was over a month ago. I came across it again yesterday and decided that the sweater looked just looked too small. So I frogged the whole thing.

Doing the sleeves was probably easy but I just could not "visualize" what they were saying so I was stumped. :??I may try it again another time when there is someone physically here that can show me what it says to do.

I do appreciate the ladies here who offered to help. But I need to "see" how things are done sometimes to "get it".

When you finish yours be sure and post so I can drool.:happydance:

kellyh57
09-06-2007, 11:00 AM
I've gone past the sleeve opening. I was so freaked out by it. I used the "afterthought heel" method like most people who've posted on it did. The directions in the pattern are just plain silly. It never tells you to pick up your regular yarn and keep going. If you follow them to a T, you're going to have a HUGE off-color opening all the way to the end!

I'm not back to put the sleeves on yet, but I'll probably do a few searches here and post if I need to!

Kelly