PDA

View Full Version : Kitchener Stitch for toes of socks

chortle
06-26-2007, 02:52 PM
Hello all,

I am finioshing up my first sock, got the heel down:lol:, but now having trouble with the toe. Does anyone know a way to easily end the toe , without doing the kitchener stitch. It has been a real nightmare and I know I did not do it right! :ick:

thanks much:heart:

Chortle

Braden
06-26-2007, 03:13 PM
Grafting is really the only way to create a seamless join that's invisible. You could, of course, do a three needle bind off, or bind off both sets of stitches and then seam them together.

dakatzmeow
06-26-2007, 03:14 PM
i really love the kitchener stitch. have you tried silver's sock tutorial? that's where i learned it, and i still pull out her pics from time to time for a refresher.

sorry, i don't know any other method for you.

Stiney
06-26-2007, 03:20 PM
And if you haven't watched it, Amy's Kitchener stitch video is AMAZING. I have to watch it every time I do a sock because I forget in between. :oops:

The only problem with the video is it isn't very clear about how to end the kitchener stitch, but knitty has a a great tutorial (http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer04/FEATtheresasum04.html) that explains it, too.

Julie
06-27-2007, 01:35 AM
I so agree with Stine -- Amy's video is amazing. I had read other descriptions and instructions and they confused and skeeered the heck out of me. Then I watched the video and it was so clear! I highly recommend it! :D

dakatzmeow
06-27-2007, 01:44 AM
like the author says in the knitty article, i have a chant. but it is a bit different than hers.

"knit slip purl. purl slip knit." the first part is what i do on the front needle. and the second part is for the back needle.

Lieke
06-27-2007, 01:51 AM
I used silvers sock tutorial and that really worked great.

Braden
06-27-2007, 02:55 AM
I have a chant for grafting: Knit off, purl on. Knit off, purl on, and so forth.

Sanibelle
06-27-2007, 09:16 AM
I just learned to do the Kitchener Stitch too - I watched Amy's video over and over again until I got it. I practiced on a swatch first. It took a couple of times to really get the hang of it but then I got it and it really is not as bad or as hard as I thought. I think it is like anything else with knitting - just a little practice is needed to get it right.

Don't give up - If I can do it you can too!!!!