PDA

View Full Version : Fake Isle Hat

redheadrachel
06-28-2007, 01:39 AM
Is anyone interested in doing a Fake Isle Hat kint-along? I'm using this pattern: http://www.magknits.com/Nov06/patterns/fakeisle.htm to make a project that is both my first Fair Isle and my first hat. It's a great first Fair Isle project and an excellent way to use the odd left-over skein of Noro Kureyon (bonus points for stash busting, right?)

I've already begun working on mine (which you can see here: http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/RedheadRachel/Knitting007.jpg) but I can already see that I'll probably end up doing several.

So I think it's a really cool project and KarrieLyne suggested a Knit-along. Who's with us? :D

Quiltlady
06-28-2007, 03:12 PM
I'd love to join in but I'm waiting for a LOT of goodies to arrive by mail. I've spend a lot this week already. :rollseyes:

I think I'll wait a few days before ordering the yarns. I see that Webs sells the Noro and the Lambs Pride. NIce to order both at the same time. I'll keep you posted.:lol:

KarrieLyne
06-28-2007, 06:19 PM
Well you know that I am totally in!! I went to my LYS today and got my supplies =) I even started knitting it during my lunch hour!! I am very excited and I will post pictures as it progresses!

Thanks for posting this KAL!!!

Quiltlady
06-28-2007, 07:48 PM
I just ordered my Onyx Lambs Pride and my Noro Kureyon #182 from WEbs.. :cheering::cheering:They had a lot of colors to choose from it took me awhile to finally make up my mind.

I'll post when I receive my order.:rollseyes:

redheadrachel
06-28-2007, 08:58 PM
I just actually finished my first one, because I just couldn't wait - here are pictures:
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/RedheadRachel/Knitting008.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/RedheadRachel/Knitting009.jpg

So now that I'm "experienced" (HA!) I can help if anybody has questions. And I'm going to start a new one really soon, so we can all help each other as our hats progress.

I'm so glad people joined! This is going to be so much fun :D

KarrieLyne
06-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Great job Rachel!!! Wow, you must knit really fast!!! I just got past the ribbing...it is going pretty fast though...i am very excited since I have never used Noro before and I really am loving it!!!!

Quiltlady
06-28-2007, 10:09 PM
And I thought I knit fast!! I hope I can follow the pattern too. Can't wait to get my yarns.:happydance:

redheadrachel
06-28-2007, 11:14 PM
lol I don't have a regular job this summer, so I'm spending a good amount of time on my knitting. That's how I get a lot of stuff done. And I kind of have an obsessive personality; once I start on something, it's all-consuming until I finish it.

Tomorrow I'm going to my first free Open Knitting time at the LYS - I'm probably going to buy another skein of Noro Kureyon (maybe in "manlier" colors) and start another of these hats. I'm thinking they'll make excellent Christmas presents!

Thanks for all the positive feedback! Feel free to post pictures, even of the work in progress :D

ironmaiden
06-29-2007, 08:06 AM
I think I'll join in -- I have never done Fair Isle and definitely need the practice. I had trouble even swatching 2 repeats of a chart yesterday so we'll see how it goes!

:D

ironmaiden
06-29-2007, 08:40 AM
I just actually finished my first one, because I just couldn't wait - here are pictures:
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/RedheadRachel/Knitting008.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/RedheadRachel/Knitting009.jpg

So now that I'm "experienced" (HA!) I can help if anybody has questions. And I'm going to start a new one really soon, so we can all help each other as our hats progress.

I'm so glad people joined! This is going to be so much fun :D

It came out great - good job!

I'm still a little lost on reading the chart - it's right to left, yes? So I would take the first row at the bottom and work it repeatedly over the stitches for that row, then start the second one and work it right to left etc etc etc?

feministmama
06-29-2007, 09:01 AM
RHRachel that hat is gorgeeeeous! :inlove: Aw geez now I want to knit one :rollseyes:

ironmaiden
06-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Okay finally got the balls wound, time to get started...

redheadrachel
06-29-2007, 10:57 AM
Woohoo, I'm glad people are joining. And IronMaiden, because I saw you were looking for a good first Fair Isle and I kind of hoped you'd join this. lol

Yes, you read the chart from right to left, bottom to top. It makes sense if you just think of reading the chart the way you knit, starting at the right. And then you just keep working that same line of the chart until you reach the end of the row, then start the next row of chart with the next row of stitches.

ironmaiden
06-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Just about through the stripes at the bottom... so far so good - although my last few projects have been with larger needles so it's a little uncomfortable!

KarrieLyne
06-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Hello =) I am so excited about this hat! So far it has knit up sooo fast! Right now I am on row 9 in chart 1 and I just started yesterday!! I will work more on it tonight and hopefully finish it this weekend! The one thing that I am finding is that I like working with the size 6 needle. I have always worked in larger needles thinking they would be easier to handle, but I am finding I like the 6's =) I will post a pic later of my progress!! Can't wait to see everyone elses!

redheadrachel
06-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Yeah, it's so funny how you get so used to the certain size needle, and when you begin another project it's so awkward/uncomfortable. I knit this poncho in Size 15s once, and then everything else seemed to be SO SMALL and knit up SOOO slowly. Now I'm doing socks on size 2's, and so when I start working on my hats again, the 6s seem gigantic! lol

ironmaiden
06-30-2007, 12:26 AM
Here's mine so far:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f246/kbrengle/June092.jpg

I'm concerned it might be a tad big (though my gauge is correct so perhaps I'm just overthinking it) but otherwise going well :D.

KarrieLyne
06-30-2007, 12:58 PM
This is how far I am so far =) I am doing the small version for my daughter..seems really small though...hope it stretches =)
http://h1.ripway.com/theplastickitchen/Knitting/FakeIsleHat.jpg

Quiltlady
06-30-2007, 03:24 PM
I received my yarn in today's mail from Webs. Wow that was fast delivery!!:cheering::cheering: I'll start it soon...I'm working on the Pinwheel sweater at the moment and it's taking some of my concentration.:drool:

redheadrachel
06-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Wow, everyone's looks great!! If the smaller hat seems REALLY small, maybe you should check to see if you're not pulling the yarn that you're carrying in the back a little too tight. I know that a lot of beginning Fair Isle knitters have a bit of a problem with pulling the yarn too tight and it becomes a little puckery (mine is a tiny little bit, but it's not too bad - actually the hat might have been too loose if I had loosened up any of my yarn.) Apparently the trick is to keep the stitches on your right needle (the ones you've already worked for the row) spaced how they will be in the finished piece. Don't stretch them out really far on the right side or that will make the backside too loose and loopy, and don't bunch them up because you will make it too tight and puckery as you weave in the yarn on the WS. I've been told just to not "overthink it", that the natural spacing will help it look the best.

I wasn't aware it can be a big problem on my first hat, so on my second one I'm going to make sure and concentrate on regular, even spacing.

Quiltlady
06-30-2007, 06:44 PM
I began my hat today afterall. I will begin on the pattern part tomorrow and I'll post a picture then too. So far so good.:cheering:

ironmaiden
06-30-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm about to start the second chart :D. I thought this was going to be a lot more difficult - it takes a little concentration but it's really not so bad :D.

Quiltlady
07-01-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm really enjoying this pattern. So far so good.:cheering:

Quiltlady
07-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Here it is.....

Lady Violet
07-01-2007, 07:29 PM
:inlove:
Quiltlady, that is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! what colorway is that?

redheadrachel
07-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Quitlady, that IS gorgeous! I love how the bright colors shows off the black patterns so well! It's AMAZING!
I'm really impressed with the work everyone's doing! It seems like we're all reaching the conclusion that Fair Isle is an exciting challenge, but it's not SO hard as many of us thought!

So have you guys run into any problems or little trick s to help with the project?
I learned that before I do a row of just one the MC or the CC, it's helpful to twist the yarns around each other at the beginning of the row to prevent a hole.

Fair Isle = fun times :D lol

ironmaiden
07-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Wow that's really lovely - the colors just POP.

I finished mine, it's drying now, will pic tomorrow :D.

Quiltlady
07-02-2007, 02:42 AM
Thank you for the compliments. My color is #182.

I am finding this an easy Fair Isle. I did start a wool rug that had a farm scene on it and I did quite a lot of it then threw it out!! I had so many puckers that it was just not coming out right. Seemed if I held the yarns too tight it puckered while if I held it too loose there were open gaps between the different colors. :ick:

This hat pattern has a nice smooth transition between colors. So it's making it a lot easier and neater on the back side of it.

Okay, what will be our NEXT Fair Isle "Knit Along"?:lol:

ironmaiden
07-02-2007, 07:01 AM
Okay, what will be our NEXT Fair Isle "Knit Along"?:lol:

That's a great idea - I'm really enjoying it and I bet a continuous Fair Isle KAL thread would be popular :D.

ironmaiden
07-02-2007, 08:06 AM
I love these: http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=61124&highlight=fair+isle

ironmaiden
07-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Here's mine:

Tahki Donegal Tweed Homespun

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f246/kbrengle/June098.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f246/kbrengle/June097.jpg

It did end up too big (should have made a small) so I threw it in a hot wash and the dryer and made it shrink :D.

redheadrachel
07-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Looks good - I love the yarn you used! It definitely looks great on you!

ironmaiden
07-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks!

KarrieLyne
07-04-2007, 05:36 PM
I finished my hat today..yayyy!! It is just the perfect size for my daughter and she loves it. As a matter of fact she still has it on even though it is 81 degrees outside =)
http://h1.ripway.com/theplastickitchen/Knitting/FakeIsleHatComplete.jpg

redheadrachel
07-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Ooooh Karrie, I LOVE YOURS! And that B-E-A-UTIFUL girl reminds me of myself when I was that young!!!!! :D Love love love it!

ironmaiden
07-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Very nice!

Quiltlady
07-06-2007, 06:23 AM
Your hat came out great. :cheering: I messed up on mine so had to rip out a few rows.:shrug: I'll be back working on it today. I'll post a picture when it's finished.

larudden
07-06-2007, 08:19 AM
Oh my gosh, these hats are sooooooooo awesome!

I've got way too many things on needles right now but I would really like to try this. I guess I'll have to check out the pattern, though, "just in case."

larudden
07-06-2007, 08:29 AM
HA!
I lasted all of 5 minutes before ordering the yarn. Good Lord! :lol:

Well, I DID need two more skeins of Noro for the bigger Booga I want to do, so I GUESS I can use the extra skein to try this hat.

I love how I can justify buying more yarn! Who cares that I'll be eating mac and cheese for a week!

So, can I just use the black wool (worsted) that I have here for the design?

I can't believe I broke down so quickly........actually............I CAN believe it!

I'm weak...........................

redheadrachel
07-07-2007, 12:53 AM
haha Yes! It's so hard to resist.

So, can I just use the black wool (worsted) that I have here for the design?

I had some plain black worsted weight Ella Rae wool that I needed only a SMALL bit of for a project, and so I just used that for the contrasting color. It worked really well for me.

Welcome to the KAL! :D

larudden
07-07-2007, 09:14 AM
I don't know how to knit continental and, after watching the video, I'm more scared than ever!

Soooooo, how do you manage the strands of yarn? UGH!

Quiltlady
07-08-2007, 11:10 AM
My 4 yr. old gd wanted the hat when she saw me working on it. When it was done it was too big for her so I felted it a little and gave it a "new" shape. Here it is....

Quiltlady
07-10-2007, 05:34 PM
Where did everyone go? :??Did my finished hat scare everyone away?:shrug:

redheadrachel
07-10-2007, 05:36 PM
haha No way! I didn't see there had been a new post here. I absolutely love your finished hat! Such bright, bold colors, and I LOVE the new shape! It's so original. Very creative - I'm so impressed!!! :D

You definitely shouldn't be scared after watching the video! I WOULD suggest that you look at Amy's video of how to do the Knit stitch in Continental (don't even worry about purls for the purposes of this project) and make a little practice piece, maybe the size of a dishcloth. And just do Continental purls into you're proficient. It's not so scary as it seems! Once you can knit Continental and English, it's no problem to put them together. :D

larudden
07-11-2007, 11:37 AM
Well, my yarn came in and I think this may be the next project I start. I've got to finish my black cat blanket buddy first, though......

Loved the shape of that hat! I can just picture a little girl wearing it with that cute brim.