PDA

View Full Version : Is seaming really so bad??

gargoylelib
06-28-2007, 12:56 PM
I have been reading tons of posts about how much people seem to
hate seaming up their knitted garments. I sat last night sewing up
a finished baby sweater and realized how much I love doing mattress
stitch!!! Am I just a weirdo? I find it very satisfying to be able to sew
up on the right side of the garment and pull that thread and watch
the seam "zip" up and look so neat and tidy. :happydancing:
Am I the only one who doesn't care about trying to convert all patterns
to be knit in the round? Just curious.... :)

Libbie

ironmaiden
06-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Seaming is work created by Satan.

:D

But I also can't do anything but Kitchener stitch neatly, which makes me hate it more.

mwedzi
06-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Yes, yes it is. It is evil. I'm talking lake of fire evil.

:)

Well, it's not the most terrible thing in the world, but it's no knitting!

Teeka
06-28-2007, 01:29 PM
I'm still new at seaming and I'm having a hard time w/ matress stitch finding the bits to sew together, but I do enjoy weaving in ends quite a bit!

bip
06-28-2007, 01:35 PM
I always hated seaming because I had only done adult-sized stuff. Then once I did a baby sweater and it went sooo fast, I didn't mind the assembly at all.

The hard part, I think, is setting in the arms on an adult-sized garment. I don't mind doing up the sides or arm seams at all. But those shoulders! Very stressful making sure everything lines up. I've only done 5-6 sweaters though, so those w/more experience probably have more skill than I and are less stressed out by the process.

suzeeq
06-28-2007, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't call it evil, but I try to avoid patterns with seams - either knit in the round or all one piece somehow. I don't mind picking up stitches on some of those....

Stiney
06-28-2007, 01:53 PM
I suck at seaming. Mattress stitch is the devil! :-x

syndactylus
06-28-2007, 02:01 PM
I like it, it makes me feel clever and accomplished. :rollseyes:
Especially when it's something not for me, and I don't have to come to the realisation that it doesn't fit.

Ingrid
06-28-2007, 02:01 PM
The first time I did mattress stitch, I was amazed. I don't mind straight mattress seams at all--I, too, love watching the seam close up and the yarn disappear. I'm not crazy about putting in sleeves, though.:shrug:

newamy
06-28-2007, 02:03 PM
I told someone I taught to knit that it was a chore. But she just seamed something, said it was easy and what was I talking about anyway??

So I don't think you are alone. She does not enjoy weaving in ends.

Friskums
06-28-2007, 02:44 PM
I love seaming. I love getting all the pieces done and then turning them into a wearable project. :D

redheadrachel
06-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Yes.

VictoiseC
06-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Evil?!:shock: Holy Moly then I must like evil things!

Actually, there's a time for everything and if you figure that out, seaming will be as enjoyable as knitting. That's why I always have several projects going on, easy, semi-easy etc. and different pieces waiting to be seamed up when I'm feeling serious and concentrated.

Although it's really not that hard. One good picture will really help, (to whoever said it's hard to see which stitches). I think it was in the KNitter's Bible that clarified it for me. Hmmmmmmm maybe I should go pull that little green sweater out of its basket and do some seaminnnnnnng naw

think I'd rather knit

aprilbetty
06-28-2007, 02:50 PM
I, too, enjoy doing the mattress stitch. And on baby/children's sweaters, I much prefer seaming the sleeves to doing them in the round on double pointed needles.

ella
06-28-2007, 04:22 PM
Hmmm, I don't know if it's unadulterated evil, maybe semi-evil (more of a 333 than a full 666 x-() I do really hate set in sleeves though, I'd give them a full uber-evil rating! Just out of curiosity, do the people who like seaming also like to sew?

MrsDavis3
06-28-2007, 04:32 PM
I sewed before I knitted, so maybe that's why I'm almost relieved to be sewing something up. How can one object to doing something that is so easy to take out if you mess up?

Knitting in the round is great, but sometimes a large project divided up into smaller pieces is more manageable.

Also, sewing up knitted pieces is much more of a pleasure when the knitted pieces are finished nicely, have neat edges, etc.

Also...weaving two raw edges together is very satisfying.

ADAllen
06-28-2007, 04:35 PM
I've never actually done any mattress stitch, but I remember watching Amy's video and thinking woah that looks so cool. I've gotta try that! Maybe I won't mind it so much... we'll just see I suppose.

Silver
06-28-2007, 04:36 PM
No, you're not alone. I really like seaming and finishing projects. I think it comes from the fact that I like challenges, and finishing a sweater with really nice seams is most certainly a challenge.

I will, however, convert something to be knit in the round if I can. While I don't mind seaming, I prefer the look of a seamless piece more.

mdog182
06-28-2007, 04:47 PM
i have only successfully seamed up a top once....only to find out that the top did not fit. urgh. while i did enjoy seeing the raw edges disappear, it took way too long to seam up the dk weight shirt. i also did not feel completely secure that the seam would not magically wiggle it's way out, even after several knots.

i cant believe someone said they enjoy weaving in ends!! :?? i always feel like i'm not doing it correctly....if there is a correct way to do it. and i feel like everyone can see where i weaved the ends in.

debinoz
06-28-2007, 04:47 PM
I knit in the round, not because of seaming, but because most garments require st st and I HATE PURLING!!!

Nobones
06-28-2007, 06:06 PM
I love seaming, it's part of the knitting process, you've got all these pieces and suddenly you've got a garment, or something.

I can remember whenever my mum would knit something, she'd take the bits to a lady down the road, then a couple of days later we'd have the finished item.

I can't understand if you go to all the effort of knitting it yourself, you wouldn't want to see it through to the end.

I'll be seaming a blanket soon, and can't wait to get started simply because I enjoy seaming so much.

dreamsherl
06-28-2007, 11:42 PM
I was a sewer before I added to knitting to my list of obsessions. The seaming doesn't bother me. Weaving in, :gah:now that is another story.

SabrinaJL
06-29-2007, 04:00 AM
I hate it with the fire of a thousand suns. I'd totally pay someone to do it for me if I knew someone who was willing.

ArtLady1981
06-29-2007, 04:24 AM
Hi'ya Libbie! :waving:

I agree with you. I do not mind seaming at all. It was not always the case until I attended a "Finishing Techniques" class at my LYS.

I learned how to mattress stitch...:thumbsup:....and after the class was over...I was embarrassed to wear some of my previously knit sweaters.

Once you see the quality that mattress stitch produces...any other seaming technique seams like kindergarten quality.

Oh well, I guess after 30 years of knitting...I deserved to finally learn how to seam properly! :pout:

Hey out there in KNITTING UNIVERSE...if you can attend a "Finishing Techniques" class where you live...please do so. Even if you have been knitting for 30 years or more...it is SHOCKING how much you do not know how to do. The simplest things, the simplest techniques make ALL THE DIFFERENCE in the world. :happydance:

Lieke
06-29-2007, 05:31 AM
Well, I don't actually hate seaming, but I don't like it either. My main problem with seaming is that I constantly have to watch what I'm doing, so I can't watch tv while I'm seaming. (I always watch tv while knitting) Because of that, it seems to take ages to seam a sweater, but well, it's part of the process, so I have to do it. I wouldn't be willing to pay anybody to do it for me, I don't hate it enough for that.

Braden
06-29-2007, 07:27 AM
I don't hate it, but I try to avoid it when possible. So, I knit almost all my sweaters in the round, either with one of EZ's seamless shoulder shapings, with steeks, or raglan. I really like matress stitch, it's a neat, invisble seam, but I'm really never able to put my sleeves in as neatly as I'd like, so, in the round, my sweaters are as good as I want them to be.

DeAnzaJig
06-29-2007, 07:44 AM
I don't mind seaming either, but I haven't had to put together an adult-size sweater yet.

ArtLady is absolutely right about taking a Finishing class. I took one at my LYS and I was so much more comfortable with the whole process.

wends
06-29-2007, 10:13 AM
I've only every seamed a couple of small projects but I'm making a sweater now that will have to be seamed and I think more afraid than anything else. Gotta say though, the mattress stitch is fun.

Krystal
06-29-2007, 10:28 AM
I have been reading tons of posts about how much people seem to
hate seaming up their knitted garments. I sat last night sewing up
a finished baby sweater and realized how much I love doing mattress
stitch!!! Am I just a weirdo? I find it very satisfying to be able to sew
up on the right side of the garment and pull that thread and watch
the seam "zip" up and look so neat and tidy. :happydancing:
Am I the only one who doesn't care about trying to convert all patterns
to be knit in the round? Just curious.... :)

Libbie

well, there are other benefits to knitting in the round as well. I find it quicker since I get to bypass that whol purl row. (BUT I LOOOOVE purling. weird huh?)

I haven't had to worry about seaming much yet. But one of my favourite hat patterns is knit flat, and seamed up. When I knit it the first time and seamed it up the first time... I was so proud of myself. Specifically because I did a basic sewing seam with a yarn needle and yarn. I have never been a sewer, but my seam was practically seamless, I was so proud.

I don't mind it, but I can see how it'd be nice to just have your work done when the knitting is done. Pull it off the needles and hold it up already complete and perfect....

mari_13
06-29-2007, 10:59 AM
I don't mind seaming. It's not my favorite thing in the world but it's not torture. I also took a finishing class and feel more comfortable with it. I actually want to take it again because I forgot how to do the 3 needle bind off.

MerigoldinWA
06-29-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm in the camp of those who don't hate seaming, but don't love it either. I would rather knit and have it done when I'm done knitting, but I don't go out of my way to avoid it like the plague by using steeks (never done one, and would like to try someday), or converting patterns written flat to be in the round.

The LYS lady who taught me to do side seams didn't use mattress stitch. She used a technique she had learned at a knitting workshop and liked better than mattress stitch. It served me well for a long time but lately I've switched to mattress stitch. It seems a little more exact.

I got to go to a finishing class last month and that was fun. I knew most of the stuff, but learned one new buttonhole and a new way to do shoulder seams that I have not seen anywhere else. It worked very slick, (and no it was not 3 needle bind off, the instructor was anti-3 needle bind off).

I try to tell myself to try to enjoy all the different parts of doing a project, but really I don't 100%. :-) I've noticed lately that I don't relish projects that have a lot of fiddling around. I just made 2 pair of Doggie Booties (called slippers in the book) and I definately didn't like having to attach all the little ears, eyes, tongues, tails and noses. It felt like I was doing a "craft", and I don't think I'm really a crafty person. I did it because I love the outcome, but the process? Not really.

ArtLady1981
06-29-2007, 01:35 PM
PS! I guess I should add this tip! I rarely use "self yarn" for seaming, unless the yarn is a really smooth yarn. I keep several colors of THIS (http://www.herrschners.com/products/product.aspx?sku=700114) on hand, in neutral colors. And I will step out to Joann's Fabrics to buy just the right color as needed! It is cheap and goes a long ways. It makes seaming go very very smoothly!

gargoylelib
06-29-2007, 02:57 PM
Thanks for all the replies! It has been fun reading all the opinions.
I have to agree about hating to weave in ends. I just finished my
first intarsia project:

http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/PATTdoublescoop.html

and not only did I hate the mess of the yarn tangling while knitting the
motif...all those ends to weave in after. *blech*
Libbie :)

wends
06-29-2007, 03:26 PM
I agree! Weaving in ends is of the devil lol.

MrsDavis3
06-29-2007, 04:51 PM
I suspect more continental knitters hate purling than English knitters do; I say that only because purling continentally is way harder for me than knitting continentally, but English purl is no more difficult for me than English knit.

ArtLady1981
06-29-2007, 06:08 PM
I think the actual knitting is the most enjoyable as well. However, that said...because weaving in ends is a very tedious chore...I always weave in my loose ends about two rows up. I take my medicine in small doses. It goes down easier! :thumbsup:

When I am knitting with any wool or wool blend...I use the felted join which completely eliminates any kind of weaving! :cheering:

gargoylelib
06-30-2007, 02:02 AM
I suspect more continental knitters hate purling than English knitters do; I say that only because purling continentally is way harder for me than knitting continentally, but English purl is no more difficult for me than English knit.
I have been wondering about so many people saying they hate to
purl. I love to purl...but then I do combination knitting for st st and
the Eastern purl is so easy!!
Libbie

SusanMarie1956
06-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Libbie,

How do you do it? That stitch called seaming.

Quiltlady
06-30-2007, 10:17 PM
I actually enjoy seaming knitted items. I am a Quilter so maybe that helps. I enjoy that part very much.:lol:

Krystal
07-01-2007, 01:14 AM
I have been wondering about so many people saying they hate to
purl. I love to purl...but then I do combination knitting for st st and
the Eastern purl is so easy!!
Libbie

Well, not true for me. I knit continental and love my purls. They are just so quick and easy. It took some time to love them tho.

gargoylelib
07-01-2007, 01:54 AM
Libbie,

How do you do it? That stitch called seaming.

Hi,
I was referring to mattress stitch. There is a video on this website
that demonstrates how to do it. There is also a nice tutorial on
Knitty that takes you step by step with good pictures. These are
the two places I learned how to do it! :)
Libbie

Rorshach
07-01-2007, 03:06 AM
I don't mind seaming, though it can get tedious at times. For me, it's a part of the process.

winterblues
07-01-2007, 05:18 AM
I seamed my sweaters years and years ago... but when I discovered knitting in the round a couple of years back, I was hooked! :balloons:

I never want to seam again, unless I really, REALLY have to. :ick: