PDA

View Full Version : Cables in varigated yarn?

GinnyG
06-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Has anyone used varigated yarn for a cabled pattern? I'm starting to think Christmas and would like to use up some of my stash for hats and scarves, I seem to have a plethora of varigated yarn. But I got thinking about it and I don't believe I have ever seen anyone do a cable pattern...... would it make the pattern "too busy"?

Stiney
06-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Ingrid made one out of Noro (?) that looks awesome. (well, c'mon, it was Ingrid after all. ;))

You have to be careful about the variegated yarn, though. If there are too many color changes, or they pool or are too dark or whatever, the detailing of the cabling will be lost. That's why solid color, smooth yarns are the best.

Orangeus
06-28-2007, 03:53 PM
I think it would depend on the cables and how the colours knit up. Really gradual colour changes, or where all the colours are similar would probably look nice with cables. Or at least not any busier than lace patterns are with variegated yarns. Same goes with the cable pattern; the more complex it is, the more it will be lost in the yarn. Like an Aran sweater probably wouldn't look so good in a multicoloured yarn

mdog182
06-28-2007, 04:54 PM
i started knitting up some cable rib socks in a varieated sock yarn with lots of color changes and yeah, i frogged them because it looked to busy. the cables got lost in the yarn and i felt like all my hard work was gone! :cry: haha but an episode of knitty gritty came to mind where they made a dog sweater that had a cable pattern on it and they used kareoke yarn that was varieated. but it was very gradual and the colors didn't change for several rows. it looked REALLY good! (note to self: buy kareoke yarn)

Mystery_Gyrl
06-28-2007, 05:36 PM
Hi,
Like other KHs have stated cabling with variegated yarn can be done, but choosing the right yarn and a simple cabling panel is essential. That stated in episode DKNG-607 of Knitty Gritty a pillow is made using variegated yarn as the background and solid colored yarn for the actual cable. Here is the address (hopefully): http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_5311299,00.html
Good luck on beating your plethora of variegated yarn back into submission. :thumbsup:
Katrina

Nobones
06-28-2007, 06:08 PM
I've just finished a pair of arm warmers in 'Nero' the cable pattern was simply but looks nice with the different colours running through it.

Ingrid
06-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Here are some pictures of cables in Karaoke and Malabrigo.

ironmaiden
06-28-2007, 07:02 PM
I used a very similar color of Malabrigo to that last picture for a cabled hat - there's slight variegation in the yarn, but it's delicate enough that it works well with the cabling.

GinnyG
06-28-2007, 08:19 PM
OHHHHHHHHHH Ingrid!!!!! JUST LOVELY! I may have to give it a try!!!

redwitch
06-28-2007, 08:22 PM
The first and third pics from Ingrid are fine, as the colour changes are so long they don't obscure the stitch pattern. The other two are close to obscuring the stitch pattern, so be careful with anything having similar colour changes: these ones are fine but you won't be able to know until you have knitted some up. Think of all the lace you see done in highly variegated colourways, the hard work is for nothing because the stitch pattern disappears!
Sarah

Jan in CA
06-28-2007, 08:31 PM
The first and third pics from Ingrid are fine, as the colour changes are so long they don't obscure the stitch pattern. The other two are close to obscuring the stitch pattern, so be careful with anything having similar colour changes:

Not in my opinion. I love the color in the second one and the cable really stands out on the 4th. :shrug:

suzeeq
06-28-2007, 11:11 PM
You can see how a subtly variegated yarn looks in cables here - http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=60729

redheadrachel
06-28-2007, 11:16 PM
I think Knitting Guy is doing his Irish Hiking Scarf in a varigated yarn, and it looks incredible. It definitely adds a different look to cables, which can be a really cool effect if you're going for it. You should just pick out some variegated yarn you love, a cable pattern you love, and give it a try :D

ETA: And now that I've seen where suzeeq's link leads to, I realize that ONCE AGAIN, suzeeq says exactly what I was going to say RIGHT before I was about to say it. :-P lol

suzeeq
06-28-2007, 11:35 PM
Awwww, you're just getting warmed up for your new career as a psychic...

ArtLady1981
06-29-2007, 04:15 AM
Ingrid's yarns are very subtle, very delicately shaded. Therefore, they cabled very nicely.

Some variegated yarns are not so subtle. The colors may "pool" very aggressively, and may dominate the field. They may fight for recognition over the cabling.

I have had this happen with Red Heart variegated yarns.

I am now in the process of clearing out all my acrylic leftovers...and making a child's Crazy Quilt Afghan. I had some variegated Red Hearts on hand...so..knowing how the colors "pool" (they don't "tweed")...I used a very dominant cable pattern for the variegated yarns. Below are 3 of the 8"x8" squares. Red Heart variegated yarns ARE NOT the qualilty, fiber-wise and colorway-wise, of Noro and Malabrigo yarns. You gets what you pays for. I still use the acrylics for toddler projects for my many grandchildren. It makes the laundering much easier for my daughters. There is nothing wrong with using Red Heart yarn! But, the variegated skeins are a challenge.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_1916.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_1918.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_1922.jpg

Nobones
06-29-2007, 05:32 AM
Those squares are gorgeous, I love yarn with lots of colour in it. Can't find much of it in my LYS. I think it's cheerful and therefore makes me smile.

GinnyG
06-29-2007, 07:36 AM
I am thrilled to see ACTUAL pics of cables in varigated yarn. I think they look GREAT!!! It seems that the secret is to use a fairly large cable without too much detail or business. THANKS to all who posted.

I've been "messing around" with cables since getting the book "cables Untangled" and guess the best thing to do is just give it a try. I am into bright and splashy colors (nothing subtle about me:oops:) so in looking at my stash most of the varigated yarn is pretty bright but I think the bright colored squares ArtLady had posted look winderful so I guess I'll just have to "have at it" and see what developes.

In between EMT hats that is:shock::rollseyes::wall::rollseyes::shock:, it sure is a shame that I actually have to go to work everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ironmaiden
06-29-2007, 07:50 AM
Not in my opinion. I love the color in the second one and the cable really stands out on the 4th. :shrug:

I also thought the 4th was quite clear. I thought I was losing it lol.

geekgolightly
06-29-2007, 08:56 AM
In between EMT hats that is:shock::rollseyes::wall::rollseyes::shock:, it sure is a shame that I actually have to go to work everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're an RN working as an EMT?
I have heard of RN's doing ambulance rides. How did you get into it?

On Topic - I love Ingrid's mermaid colorway cable scarf <3

GinnyG
06-29-2007, 11:30 AM
EMT's are licensed by the state, so in addition to passing my RN Boards I had to take Basic and Critical Care classes and pass the state EMT exam. Interestingly enough, an RN lic is good forever (as long as you renew it), EMT's have to recertify and test out at what ever level they are at every 3 years.

Leah22b
06-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Wow... all these pictures are fabulous! I love the look of the cables in varigated. I'll have to try them sometime! :inlove:

ArtLady1981
06-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Those squares are gorgeous, I love yarn with lots of colour in it. Can't find much of it in my LYS. I think it's cheerful and therefore makes me smile.

The colors were "Beach", "Citrus" and "Crayons". The yarn was called RED HEART KIDS YARN. I got mine from the Herrschners catalog. HERE (http://www.herrschners.com/products/product.aspx?sku=010711) is a link to the Herrschner page. It looks like they still have Beach and Crayons. I don't see Citrus. But they have a new colors called Bikini and Sherbet variegateds. They are also very bright and cheerful. They seem to have about 232 yds each and they are on sale for $3.97.

Anyway, Crayons, Bikini and Sherbet are my favorites! And Red Heart Kids has coordinating solid colors to go with. I used to make my toddler grandchildren little cardigans, using, for example, solid black for the body with Crayons for the cuffs, collar and button bands and "crayons buttons". Another style: the Left Front would be solid green with a "Crayons" sleeve...and the Right Front would be "Crayons" with a solid red sleeve, and the BACK would be solid blue...and the button bands, cuffs and collar would be solid bright yellow...and the buttons were little crayon buttons.

I had lots of fun! The kids loved the bright colors! Oh, BTW..8 of our 10 grandchildren are girls...two are boys. These crayons sweaters were knit for my girl grandchildren. Back then, my one boy grandchild refused to wear sweaters. The newest boy grandbaby is a baby, too early to tell what he will or won't wear. I have a dilemma there. He is my son's son...but my daughter-in-law came with two other children.
So if I knit for my son's son...I have to knit for the two older grade school age children as well. They are sweet, lovable children...and I would never leave them out.

geekgolightly
06-29-2007, 04:17 PM
EMT's are licensed by the state, so in addition to passing my RN Boards I had to take Basic and Critical Care classes and pass the state EMT exam. Interestingly enough, an RN lic is good forever (as long as you renew it), EMT's have to recertify and test out at what ever level they are at every 3 years.

I just asked about how you got into it.

Eekee
06-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Those are all beautiful.

GinnyG
06-30-2007, 07:35 PM
I just asked about how you got into it.

Oh sorry!! My DH is a Fireman and Chief of our department. In the begining it required a bit of arm twisting, as a nurse I take care of people all day wasn't sure I wanted to do it in my free time as well. But now I love doing it and in this day and age people don't volunteer to be firemen and emts like "the old days" so it's very important to my community.

pdrite
07-01-2007, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the picture show on cables. I have never done a cables in anything solids, will be trying other options now. :happydancing:

ArtLady1981
07-12-2007, 02:45 PM
I started two scarves using a subtle variegated yarn called Rowan Tapestry.

It was a challenge to find some cable patterns that would still show off nicely with a variegated yarn.

HERE (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=61991) is a link to the entire thread in Whatcha Knittin' if you would like more information about the scarves.

Scarf #1
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_1995.jpg

Scarf #2
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_1985.jpg

GinnyG
07-12-2007, 02:46 PM
oooooooooooooooooooooooooh! Nice:happydance:

TxCynDoll
07-14-2007, 10:33 PM
Katrina
I love that site...the pillow was beautiful...I had to have that pattern, so I got it... :)

I really love all the cable samples you ladies did...I think it looks great...