PDA

View Full Version : Teaching kids to knit

Rene'
06-29-2007, 05:20 PM
I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the knitting questions, I hope it's okay here.

I taught my 9 year old to knit several months ago and she is currently knitting a shawl for herself - knit only so far, no purling yet.

My 7 year old just learned to use a knitting spool and is having great fun with that. I'm sure she will pick up knitting soon now that she can do the spool.

My 5 year old desperately wants to learn and I'm at a loss as to how to teach her. The spool is too small, she keeps holding the yarn too tight and peircing the yarn with the needle. She gets frustrated.

Are there any tips on teaching someone so young? I just read that Amy (site owner) learned to knit very young. Should I get her really bulky yarn and big needles? Or would that be even worse?

Debbie
06-29-2007, 06:15 PM
I let my granddaughter sit on my lap and do the "throwing" for me for a long time before she picked up the needles. I would say the in through the front door poem ... she really caught on quickly when we went to needles. I still cast on for her :)

chrislt8
06-29-2007, 06:23 PM
Debbie - I am trying to help my niece learn to knit...what is the "in through the front door" poem? Haven't heard that before...Thx.

wends
06-29-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm going to attempt teaching my 8 year old niece. She told her mother she wanted to learn and since she doesn't know she mentioned it to me. I hope it goes well.

Good luck!

Debbie
06-29-2007, 06:56 PM
In through the front door .... right needle into yarn
Around the back ... "throwing" the yarn around the needle
Through the window ... dipping and bringing the loop through
Off jumps Jack ... take stitch off needle...

We sometimes go through the whole family jumping off ...
Off jumps Grandma Debbie
Off jumps Madison
Off jumgs Mommy
Off jumps Grandpa :)

Rene'
06-29-2007, 06:59 PM
Debbie - I am trying to help my niece learn to knit...what is the "in through the front door" poem? Haven't heard that before...Thx.

Googled and found this:

Chants for Children on Learning to Knit

In through the front door,

Once around the back.

Peek through the window

And off jumps Jack! (knit stitch)

Up through the hole,

Around the tree,

See you right back! (casting-on)

chrislt8
06-29-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks Rene - never thought to google it :doh:I'll try using this to help her remember...

kaidyddd
06-30-2007, 09:46 AM
And yet another version:

In thru the front door
up over the back
peek through the window
and off jumps jack"