PDA

View Full Version : stitch patterns books

roxop
07-01-2007, 02:13 PM
I have no idea if this is a new thread ... Probably not and I apologize in advance.
I need to get a reference book on stitch patterns. I've looked around amazon, but there are so many... Any favorites out there? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you... Maria:ick:

cam90066
07-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Barbara Walker, Tricot (hard to find), Big Book of Knitting Stitches, Harmony Guide series.

cam

KnitClickChick
07-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Big Book of Knitting Stitch Patterns is great!!

Eloewien
07-01-2007, 04:27 PM
http://www.knittingfool.com (not a book, but it's got patterns!)

Calamintha
07-01-2007, 09:15 PM
Another vote for Barbara Walker's Stitch Treasuries, vol. 1 & 2. They are expensive but worth every penny. If you are on a budget, try the Harmony Guides. They are good for the money.

annomalley
07-02-2007, 09:11 AM
I found the book The Reader's Digest Ultimate Sourcebook of Knitting and Crochet Stitches to be very helpful. :)

mulene
07-02-2007, 09:31 AM
yet another vote for the Barbara Walker books - I got the whole series for my birthday from my mum. I LOVE them - they are so many stitches and they are well put together in this lovely library.

Ellieblue
07-02-2007, 04:57 PM
sometimes you can find used Barbara Walker books at Amazon or alibiris

Mystery_Gyrl
07-02-2007, 05:43 PM
A lot of people like Barbara Walkers Treasury series or Vogues' stitch dictionaries. However, I also like Mary Thomas's Book of Knitting Patterns (published by Dover Publications) for a nice grounding in the basics of stitch patterns. Also, you might want to check out your local library for stitch pattern books before you commit to buying any.
Katrina

mathwizard
07-03-2007, 09:20 AM
I just got Maran's Illustrated Guide for Knitting and Crocheting. They really good photos and the information is well written. Still looking at it.

dreamsherl
07-03-2007, 09:29 AM
I also recommend the pattern books of Barbara G. Walker. The books are invaluable.

psammeadred
07-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Another Barbara Walker fan here!

Whatever stitch guide you get, be sure that:
1. The samples are in light-colored yarn (I have a book with complicated cable stitch patterns in BLACK FUZZY yarn, and you can't see squat).
2. The book stays open easily.
3. Each line of the pattern goes all (or at least most of) the way across the page.

You want a stitch dictionary (stitchionary?) that is easy to use and read.

(You don't
want patterns
that are
written like
this, as it
is very
difficult
to read
and keep
track of
what line
you're on