PDA

View Full Version : How Long Have You Been Knitting?

auburnchick
07-01-2007, 02:40 PM
June marked my 1st-year "Knit"versary. I knitted my first (actually my only) scarf on the way to a soccer tournament in Arkansas. I met a very nice lady at our hotel (parent of a soccer player from a different team). She had been knitting for years and really encouraged me. I was still new and a bit embarrassed to KIP.

I've come a looooonnnnnggggg way since then...thanks to all of you! :muah:

Anyhow, my personal reflections led me to wonder how long y'all have been knitting?

KnittingNat
07-01-2007, 02:59 PM
I've been knitting for 20 years now (i started early, at the age of about 6, thanks to my grandma). I have lots of FO's that include scarves, tanks and vests, but all of them are simple and freestyle, not a pattern. Only recently, after i've discovered KH, i realized the potential in knitting and got it organized. Originally, i started from crochet and knit my dolls stuff, but now i don't like it anymore... I will get settled and post my old FO's when i'll find them :rofling:

1knittychick
07-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Summer 2004 I picked up my first pair of needles and yarn--so I guess I'm celebrating my 3rd year! I'm still such a novice--purling gives me a hard time, so I just knit stitch everything. Scarves are my specialty, baby bibs/burp cloths and baby blankets. I'm a big chicken when it comes to sweaters, detailed patterns and socks!

lissalue
07-01-2007, 03:39 PM
I started Nov. 1, 2006, and I joined kh on the 6th. when i started, there were so many things i expected to take forever to learn, but now i have figured out that i can pretty much do anythng i have the guts to try. that is thanks to this site and these people.

Doublereeder2
07-01-2007, 03:41 PM
A bit longer than three years for me. I have ventured into the world of socks, cardigans, baby clothes, tank tops......

amishgirl281
07-01-2007, 03:47 PM
For me? Third week of september 2006. I was bored on a friday after my afternoon classes and decided to walk over to Hobby Lobby to get some yarn and needles. I've been hooked ever since :)

Phretys
07-01-2007, 03:57 PM
I dived right in on November 6, 2004. The only reason I know the date is because I blogged about it the same day. :) I joined KH a month later. So it's been about two and a half years.

Debi

stirsmommy
07-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Well I learned a bit back when I was a kid but I never learned to even bind off so I have never finished a thing. Then four months ago I moved to MN and decided to go to knit group from church to make friends. Since then I have made the ugliest scarf on the planet. A trio of slippers because I messed up one and needed a third. Now I am working on my first sweater and first felted bag. I too find that between my lys and this site just about everything is doable. Of course the lace project in the wings could be my undoing.:rofling:

ready2knit
07-01-2007, 04:34 PM
I think it's been about 5-6 yrs. I went to AC Moore and bought a pamphlet called "I can't believe I'm knitting!" I taught my self how to knit and purl-nothing else. For years I would knit long strips of yarn and then rip it out over and over and over again. A year ago we had a LYS open up and I walked in... Since March of '06 I've been an addict. I try to pick projects that help me learn something new. Increases, decreases, cables, twist stiches etc. I made a complicated sweater over the fall and into winter. (complicated for me)

Anyway, I'm so addicted I can't imagine my life w/ out knitting!

Quiara
07-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Well, since I have an LJ, I can answer this exactly. I've been knitting since September 25, 2004. ^_^ It seems like I've been knitting forever, though. I don't know what I'd do without it. It's been a sanity saver and a relaxation method and just a wonderful thing in my life. I'm glad I have it.

Quiltlady
07-01-2007, 05:32 PM
I've only been knitting seriously for the past two years. I was taught by my mother how to crochet as a child and enjoyed that at the time.:inlove:

I do not remember who or how I learned how to knit.:shrug: But only the past two years have I really LOVED knitting and advancing at it. I prefer knitting to crochet and I LOVE all my knitting books.:inlove:

redheadrachel
07-01-2007, 05:36 PM
I've been knitting since Christmas of 2006, so it's been about half a year for me. I've done several scarves and hats, an afghan, a couple ponchos, a felted music note bag, and I'm nearly finished with my first pair of socks. :D
I learned it all from KH and you all have gotten me through some pretty tough situations. I have to admit - I think I'm addicted to knitting!

Ingrid
07-01-2007, 05:53 PM
I learned to knit during the Kennedy Administration.:rofling: I was about 9 and my friend's mother taught me to do the knit stitch. I got a booklet and learned the other basics from that.

I haven't knit continuously since then, but periodically throughout my life. I've been knitting daily for about the last 3 years.

For me there's a big difference between knowing how to knit vs. being an obsessed knitter.

Nobones
07-01-2007, 06:03 PM
I checked this in my diary, I've been knitting 18 months! I thought it was longer. My first project was a scarf then a small bag then I dove straight in with the dressing gown! Talk about jumping in at the deep end!

aineepooh1
07-01-2007, 06:12 PM
I celebrated my 1 year "knitiversay" in May .. I :heart: my knitting .. it has been a pleasurable thing to do to keep my fingers busy, my mind creative and my hands out of the refrigerator~! :happydance:
It has been a lifesaver, sanity saver, and just good ol clean fun..
I am crocheting TOO now and I love it too...:thumbsup:

Knitting_Guy
07-01-2007, 06:53 PM
I started learning in December so only a few months for me.

Braden
07-01-2007, 07:08 PM
I don't really remember the exact date (:oops:), but I do know that I first picked up the needles in Summer of 2001, so about 6 years. A friend's grandmother had taught me to crochet, and I wanted to knit, so I went to Wal*Mart, and I got a book, I Taught Myself Knitting, from Wrights, some Red Heart (:ick:) in a country blue color, and another skein in white. I knitted a striped scarf that was about 3 feet long, and I actually gave it to my aunt for Christmas. After that, I started a lot of scarves, but never finished them, and then I let it go for a few months. Then, I was at a high-end yarn store in Jackson, and I got a pair of 24" Addi Turbos, some old unmarked undyed, unbleached cream wool, and a pattern for a plain sweater. I never really knit the sweater, but, rather, an in the round raglan, that was horrible.

After that, I bought The Sweater Workshop by Jacqueline Fee, and some books by EZ. Designed a sweater with a v-neck, in that cream wool, knit that, and that got me on the road to where I am today. My knitting attitude is, try anything, what have you got to lose?

Sorry, I completely went off the point of the question there, but...

OkayKnits
07-01-2007, 07:23 PM
1 1/2 years for me. I taught myself to knit with cheap plastic needles from Joann. After I got the hang of it in a couple of days, I returned the needles and got some double pointed needles for socks.

knitaholic
07-01-2007, 08:18 PM
I've been knitting since April 2005 and absolutely love it! I've come a long way--but have a long way to go. I never thought I'd learn to knit, let alone make something, but with the help of KnittingHelp.com, I've made dishcloths, slippers, mittens, gloves, socks, vests, baby booties and now, on to sweaters. I tend to stay away from seaming--don't know exactly why--I tend to get overwhelmed at the thoughts of seaming. Maybe, eventually, I'll overcome this fear.

Knitaholic:hug:

clb1968
07-01-2007, 08:37 PM
I started knitting at around the first of the year.

Krystal
07-01-2007, 08:51 PM
I purchased my first set of needes (red heart straights US10) and yarn (some chunky green Bernat and some super itchy Red Heart that was so pretty...) on August 31st But I waited till the weekend, so September 1st or 2nd of 2006 I started going along with the videos.

I had been planning it out for a week, waiting for pay day. I spent that whole week surfing the net and looking for anything and then I found KH and was sooo excited. I was just so bored, and needed a hobby. I remember saying "I wanna knit." and FH said ,"Then Knit..." first person who didn't laugh at me when I said that. So I did.

I remember being so daunted by everything, and was so convinced I couldn't do it. But I plowed through. I Managed to knit a mangy scarf with doing my cast on completely wrong. I could knit fine, but the cast on I did ended up increasing stitches every row for some reason. haha.

Everyone who says they are too afraid to try something harder... STOP! I swore I would never purl, and I LOOOVE purling. I said I would be content just making plain scarves, and I have several hats, and mittens and a sweater in my closet.

It's just pulling loops through more loops right?

mel.b
07-01-2007, 08:54 PM
My nana taught me to knit when I was a child, but I never really got the hang of it it properly and never finished anything.

When I was at University about 9 years ago (how can it be that long ago!) I wanted to make a scarf so I trawled the internet and taught myself, but I could only do a knit stitch. Every couple of years after that I would make another scarf.

It's only been in the past several months that I have really started knitting more. I could knit in a straight line but couldn't increase or decrease. However I got a kit for a beanie and it's all flowed from there. Now I'm almost finished my first garment - a coat and have tried lace knitting (I did the branching out scarf) and cables (currently doing the Irish hiking scarf).

Mel.b

Carla1019
07-01-2007, 09:51 PM
I don't remember WHY I started to knit But do remember when. I was real busy with teaching art that I got a Maid.(for only 3 months:help:). Since I didn't need to come home to clean house :happydance:that met I was free in the evening.xxx

It was in April/May of 2003. My DD was playing soccer. I knew one of the other mother had just started to knit. I got a book on How to knit but I just could not get it. She help me to CO. After that ,you could not stop me. The mother never did really pick it up after that. but I did.

bellium
07-01-2007, 09:57 PM
i started knitting at the beginning of february of this year - i taught myself with the stitch -n- bitch books.

bobi1218
07-01-2007, 10:08 PM
I started in Nov, 2006. So about 7 months now :)

jodstr2
07-01-2007, 10:23 PM
since Dec 20, 2004.

chrislt8
07-01-2007, 10:54 PM
Great question - this is really interesting to read:cheering: I started in March of this year (while on vacation). Picked up some needles and yarn (homespun!:roflhard:) and a little pamphlet of "how to knit" at Michaels and started with a sampler of all the patterns that were in the little book. Learned to knit, purl, increase, decrease, a little cable, a little lace, all on the very funny looking "scarf".

I was looking for a hobby that would keep me occupied at night while watching tv - but not take me out of the family circle like other hobbies did....it worked all too well...I have become completely obsessed :happydancing:

rainberry
07-01-2007, 10:55 PM
Last August I read the first Chicks with Sticks book and I wanted to learn how. The only thing I could do was cast on. Then a week later or something I hurt my wrist so that was the end of that. Then in March during Spring break I read the second Chicks with Sticks book and I decided to try again. The first thing I made was a Wisconsin dishcloth with pink red heart yarn. I hate that yarn. It's so scratchy. So I have been knitting for about 3 months.

Eekee
07-02-2007, 12:46 AM
I've been knitting since January.

cam90066
07-02-2007, 01:15 AM
Ouch. :( Another 'oldster' here. Like Ingrid, I started back in the 60s, as well.

cam

aineepooh1
07-02-2007, 01:21 AM
NOoooooo thats not Oldester~

thats' Knitting Experienced or "seasoned knitter" ~ with a world of knowledge to share~!:hug:

leedsfan
07-02-2007, 05:48 AM
I have been knitting 26 years and its the best thing i done.

JoeE
07-02-2007, 06:29 AM
My Aunt Shirley taught me when I was about 9, but it didn't "take" then. I crocheted fairly frequently through my teens and twenties. I started knitting seriously in Fall 2006 after being totally absorbed watching a lady knitting in church.

blueeyes28
07-02-2007, 06:38 AM
I started knitting in I think November 05 ,I quit smoking that August and needed something to do with my hands and I am so happy I did!

Braden
07-02-2007, 06:52 AM
I don't really know why I started knitting, I had never seen any real knitting/no one knitting, I just wanted to do it. :shrug:

blueeyes28
07-02-2007, 06:54 AM
I always said "That looks to hard I couldn't do that." Then when I quit smoking I was like "Why couldn't I other people can!" And I did it ,it is one of my great accomplishments.

Braden
07-02-2007, 07:03 AM
That was my attitude for a while too, but then I thought, what have I got to lose, so I just tried anything I saw. I'll try anything once :shrug:.

ironmaiden
07-02-2007, 07:07 AM
I learned in April. So about 2.5 months.

And I am hopelessly, blissfully, never-looking-back-ly addicted.

This is one of the best things I've ever done for myself.

:D

knit4u
07-02-2007, 07:12 AM
I'm another "oldie", but "goodie" knitter..started knitting in the late 1960's..:inlove:love it so much I started a business...:cheering:

Veronica

Jax3303
07-02-2007, 09:50 AM
I've been knitting for 2 1/2 years. but I'd wanted to learn since I was 6 and saw my friends mom knitting.

zip
07-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Since I learned in home ec class in 1974, despite my cranky teacher hating me. :rofling:

mwedzi
07-02-2007, 10:04 AM
About a year and a half. I was taught the combo method of knitting and purling in about 5 minutes at Michael's at the end of January 2006 during their Knit Out and Crochet Out (or whatever it was called) event. I don't knit this style anymore, though.

Actually, I tried to learn to knit shortly after learning to crochet some 10 years ago, but was unsuccessful because I couldn't figure out how to correct mistakes. I let it go and 8 1/2 years later, came back to it.

KT120
07-02-2007, 10:23 AM
I had always wanted to knit but was motivated when I saw a news segment on charity knitting for orphans in Africa. So I decided that I should learn how to knit so that I would be able to participate in it.

So on May 2nd of this year I started taking classes and I have never looked back. So I guess today would make it the two-month mark. It was very hard for me at first but I'm glad I persisted because it has finally made me feel creative and usefull. Plus its fun!

tootie44
07-02-2007, 10:26 AM
I have been knitting since December 2004, I taught myself from a book at my son's PICU bedside.

knitwit628
07-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Since the summer of 2004 but i took a break for one year cause i think i got bored with it (how is that possible?!)

Sanibelle
07-02-2007, 10:54 AM
My Grandma taught me when I was a kid. She also taught me to crochet. For years I crocheted only but for some reason about 10 years ago I went back to knitting and never looked back. When I first started the only needles were metal; when the Susan Bates Quick Silver needles came out I thought they were just so cool. The same thing with yarn - everything was acrylic or wool for many years. Then finally the novelty yarns came out. The first year I was at the bank I work for now, I decided to knit scarves as Christmas gifts for the people on my team. I used Lion Branch Chenille and everyone loved them. The next year I used the Great Adirondeck eyelash yarn (I can't remember the name of it) - everyone went crazy for those scarves. Every year I try to knit for the people that work for me (although I do have a list of knitworthy people and some to get a bottle of wine). ANd no more novelty yarn - I loev the handpainted natural fibers and the basic wools. Oh and alpaca and cashmere.... I work for yarn!!!!

When I discovered the online knitting boards, I started reading about all the cool things everyone was making and I really started challenging myself. Things that I thought would be so hard really are not - after all everything is just a combination of knit and purl for the most part.

Now I am fearless- there is a great LYS across the street from where I work and all the people here that are ready to help.

Well that is my story and I am sticking to it!!!!

dancemom
07-02-2007, 11:46 AM
:waving:I have been knitting for about 7 months. I just love it!
I learned how to crochet about 20 years ago. Then I decided it was time to learn to knit. Went to my local LYS and learned the knit stitch, then learned to purl on this site! I have learned so much here from all of you. I still enjoy the crochet but much prefer to knit.

abunchofus
07-02-2007, 12:37 PM
about 3 months now!

debinoz
07-02-2007, 12:41 PM
I was taught how to knit and crochet at the same time, about 35 years ago by an elderly neighbor. (When you're 10, everyone over the age of 40 is elderly!) I was shown the backward loop cast on and got so frustrated when the yarn between my needles kept getting longer and longer, so I gave it up and stuck with crochet for a few years. About 2 years ago, my grandmother passed away and when I called the neighbor(who had been a good friend to her and now in her 90's) to tell her, I found she had Alzhiemers and didn't even know who I was. This made me so sad that I felt the need to preserve what she had taught me and gave knitting another go. This time I found a site that showed the long-tail cast-on and I've been knitting almost every day since!

Yarn Doc
07-02-2007, 12:44 PM
7 months!! I taught myself from the Stitch n' Bitch book on Halloween of last year. Have been obsessed ever since.

My cousin did teach me how to crochet 6 yrs ago after I had major surgery and had to take a year off from school, so I developed my fiber-addiction then, but I didn't go back to it after I started back up at school again. Then one day, I decided I wanted to learn to knit. So strange how obsession begins so innocently...

Jan in CA
07-02-2007, 12:49 PM
I started knitting in October 2005 so.... about 1 yr and 9 mos. ;-)

bajanKnit
07-02-2007, 01:33 PM
I HAVE BEEN KNITTING FOR 6 WONDERFUL MONTHS, I TAUGHT MYSELF TO KNIT FROM WATCHING KNITTY GRITTY WITH VICKY HOWELL. AND THERE IS NO TURNING BACK. ADDICTED :happydancing::happydancing::happydancing::inlove:

jjminarcik
07-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Like Auburnchick, June was my 1 yr "knitversary". I had always wanted to learn, but didn't know anyone who knit. I was in a very deep depression and needed something to do. I went to Joann's and bought some cheap yarn, these awful plastic needles, and a How-to book. I wasn't getting much from the book, so I went online and found this awesome site. I remember being a little frustrated in the beginning so DH would sit with me for hours and help me figure it out. (Isn't that sweet??:heart::heart:) I havn't stopped knitting since!

I've since called it my depression outlet. I truly believe it helped me in my recovery! :cheering:

knottyknitter
07-02-2007, 05:38 PM
I have been knitting 2 years and and 3 months.

UnspeakableJoy
07-02-2007, 05:42 PM
What a great post! I found this site in September 2006 and have been knitting off and on since then. Thank you Amy and all the wonderful knitters here on the message boards for your advice, assistance, and :heart:!

jeanius80
07-02-2007, 06:30 PM
i started knitting this february, around valentines day :heart: how appropriate!

i had tried to learn to knit/crochet about 3 years ago, and made a really long skinny scarf with fun fur carried with another yarn. i had no idea what i was doing, but i did use and got lots of compliments on it. its very 'fall'. then i stopped. i decided i wanted to be able to knit cute sweaters for dd, found this site, figured out how tocast on, then learned you could knit socks! i am sooo hooked!

temergency
07-02-2007, 07:16 PM
I've been knitting since I was 8 or 9, my one grandmother taught me how to knit, the other to crochet...I was a big crocheter and semi-knitter (only christmas stockings!) until about 5 years ago when I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and couldn't do the wrist motion with crochet....I've been knitting pretty steady ever since and in the last six months picked up spinning as now I have RLS and that double treadle movement helps with that...there's my saga!

vmdeangelo
07-02-2007, 07:31 PM
I will be knitting a year in 15 days! I love it and have done so much!

Jill A.
07-02-2007, 07:55 PM
I have been knitting a little over 3 months. I wanted to knit "just" to make some felted bags for my family for Christmas. Now I'm knitting socks like mad and finishing up my first sweater (cami -style for summer, sleeved sweater later)

ah
07-02-2007, 07:56 PM
I started in April 2005. I stopped by a LYS to buy some baby yarn to crochet a baby blanket for my daughter. While in there, I said to myself why not learn to knit. The store owner cast on for me and showed me how to knit (English) and yarn over. I worked on the blanket until it was time to do decreases. I went back to the LYS they showed me how to decrease. I finished the blanket except for the cast off so I went back in and they showed me how to do that. I went back again and they showed me how to knit Continental and in the round. So, I made three baby hats (plain, strawberry, boysenberry). Since then another blanket, a toddler sweater, a toddler poncho, a toddler sundress, toddler socks, an adult hat, more baby hats, three pairs of baby booties, and two neck warmers. OTN now are a booga bag, another toddler dress, and a feather and fan baby blanket for my son.

My daughter loves to "help" with my knitting. She has her own needles and loves to knit by herself--this involves sticking needles into spare balls of yarn. My son is too young to have an opinion (11 1/2 weeks).

I've turned my mom and sister on to knitting (in part by getting them the Knitting Help CDs) so now we have an activity we all share.

KnittingNora
07-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Since September last year! My Mum came and stayed and showed me how to cast on and do knit stitch and we each made a scarf. Then I broke my thumb/wrist, and once the cast came off in January I have been knitting madly!! It really helped with the thumb physiotherapy, and as I couldn't do much else for a while I got addicted.
I've made scarves and hats for everyone, a cardigan for a niece, farm animals for nieces and nephews, a throw as a moving gift for my mum and am currently knitting a baby cardigan for a friend.
This site is such a great help, as whenever I was stuck, I just watched the videos or asked a question and away I went, really fantastic :cheering::cheering:

mornnen
07-02-2007, 08:16 PM
I've been knitting about a year. I had my mom show me how in May of last year because she had taught my nephews how and I thought that if they could, so too could their aunt Julie! I had to relearn a few weeks later-- couldn't remember everything that she showed me, and then I found this site and I've been hooked (or should I say looped?) ever since!

Phaedra
07-02-2007, 09:08 PM
I believe I started in 1990; I saw a sweater on the cover of a Mary Maxim catalog: teal green cardigan with purple-varigated-bobble-grapes and varigated-green-leaves around the front/back of shoulders and on the cuffs. :hmm:
And I LOVED it. :rofling: Anyway, I borrowed books form the library, and taught myself. Along with crochet.

babylee
07-03-2007, 12:01 AM
I stated knitting last August, so almost a year ago. I went to the snow with friends, but don't ski so decided to teach myself knitting instead...

We are going again this year and this time I plan to teach myself to knit continental style.

dawnk777
07-03-2007, 01:37 AM
My mom taught me, when I was a kid. She took a class and learned there, and eventually taught us kids. I don't think my sisters knit at all anymore, but I have kept up with it, here and there. Since Rainberry(Emily) recently got interested in knitting, I got interested again, too! We both are working on a sock, right now!

winterblues
07-03-2007, 02:29 AM
My talented mother showed me how to knit just over 20 years ago.
I value everything she's taught me and I'm still in awe from what she has, and can still accomplish with 2 sharp sticks & some yarn and she's now in her 70's.

:star:

Foxyie
07-03-2007, 04:55 AM
I've been knitting for about a month and a half.
I was always sort of interested in it but never tried until i saw a knitting kit for teens on sale for 2 dollars!

after failing to learn with the included instructons i searched and found KH. watched the videos a few times and now i'm an addict! heh.

I've already got a big stash of yarn and 2 cases full of needles thanks to my non-knitting grandmother, micheals 40% off coupons and yard sales.

i've finished a few small things, got 7 to 10 projects OTN, mostly scarves, and many others planned out in my head.

thank goodness KH will be here to get me through all (or any) of my mistakes!