PDA

View Full Version : Member titles

Lighting57
07-01-2007, 11:00 PM
I've noticed that I have senior member under my ID name. I guessed that maybe that was because I am passed a certain age. I'm 49 BTW. It can't have anything to do with how long I've been registered because that hasn't been that long. Apparently, I'm wrong though. I have noticed that a certain young male member that still lives with his parents has senior member listed under his ID name. Can someone explain this to me and others that might want to know?

Ingrid
07-01-2007, 11:02 PM
It has to do with the number of posts. In fact, we've been trying to come up with something more clever and KH/knitting related than Junior through Senior.

So if anyone has any clever ideas, please pipe up!

aineepooh1
07-02-2007, 01:31 AM
YEP~ I think that is a GREAT Idea..
Perhaps Newbie Knitter, seasoned knitter, interemediate knitter, and Yarn obsessed, :teehee:

Braden
07-02-2007, 01:42 AM
I was thinking classic:

Newbie, Intermediate, Advanced, Moderator, Administrator, but, that's just me. I have another couple Ideas, too:

Types of yarn:

Red Heart, Wool of the Andes, Malabrigo

Types of needles:

Boye, Inox, KnitPicks/Addi Turbo

Types of knitting:

Scarf, Blankets, Sweaters.

I'll spare you more of the weird brainstorms for now!

misstialouise
07-02-2007, 01:45 AM
What about ...

Garter/Stockingette

Cables

Intarsia/Entrelac

Braden
07-02-2007, 01:48 AM
Or,

Garter/Stockinette

Knit/Purl Combos

Intricate Lace/Cables

And, I also think it would be nice if all us guy knitters could have "Guy Knitter" or "Knitting Dude" or "Knitting Guy"under our avatars, but before our rank, so people wouldn't get confused.

humblestumble
07-02-2007, 03:11 AM
How about something to do with being talkative or helpful? "seasoned knitter" really wouldnt work? I remember when KellyK first started coming, and she was just quite talkative :) Still is! And now she is seasoned, but then, she was new! (Just as an example)

Although, the knit patterns would work... like what misstialouise and contiknitter said.

JoeE
07-02-2007, 06:41 AM
It's kind of ironic that posting a lot on KH gets you labeled a senior member, but talking frequently during class in elementary school meant a note to my Mom telling her she needed to do something about my overactive socializing in class. Who knew being a chatterbox would eventually be cool?

KnittinMitchie
07-02-2007, 08:09 AM
I'm just the opposite. I'm not very chatty but am a seasoned knitter. I still can't cable very well but then again I can bust out a pair of socks like they are out of style. I do agree that we should have more creative titles but alas my brain can't think this early.

Ingrid
07-02-2007, 10:19 AM
All input is welcome!

The problem I see with referring to knitting skill is that a very seasoned knitter might sign up and be called a knitting newbie when he/she is not.

The same with yarn types. Just because someone signed up recently doesn't mean they have to be dubbed Red Heart.:rofling::rofling: We're supposed to be a welcoming place.:lol:

AmandaC
07-02-2007, 10:25 AM
I think you should have ...

Newbie - 0-100 posts
Let's Talk - 101-500 posts
Chatty McChatPants - 501+ posts

:teehee: not sure about the middle one, feel free to substiute a better alternative :teehee:

Braden
07-02-2007, 10:26 AM
The problem I see with referring to knitting skill is that a very seasoned knitter might sign up and be called a knitting newbie when he/she is not.

The same with yarn types. Just because someone signed up recently doesn't mean they have to be dubbed Red Heart.:rofling::rofling: We're supposed to be a welcoming place.:lol:

Exactly. Just look at you, you weren't even close to Red Heart or Newbie. You were already very experienced and good yarn-crazy (meant in the best possible way :teehee:) when you signed up!

suzeeq
07-02-2007, 10:32 AM
That's right Ingrid. Since the titles have to do with posting, maybe it should be something like - newbie, chiming in, comfortable, helpful, and obsessed. Or something like that, I'm not very creative.... But I like the obsessed one for lots of posts.... :teehee:

zip
07-02-2007, 10:34 AM
The member's join date and number of posts is already reflected alongside each post, so why not eliminate the reference altogether and allow members to use the space for a tagline? Then I can publicly call myself an advanced n00b or a yarnstruck groupie. If someone's av is his or her pet, the tagline could include the pet's name. If it's a vacation destination, the tagline could be "meet me in st. lou" or wherever it is. Allow some creativity. Does anyone really read signatures anyway?

An alternative would be the headers from the basic techniques page: cast-on, knit, purl, ... bind-off, gone to that great knitvana in the sky... But that'd be cheesy.

Fiber types? Bad idea because everyone has a different favorite.

aineepooh1
07-02-2007, 10:39 AM
chatty mcphatpants~!:rofling::rofling::rofling:

Braden
07-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Zip, I agree.

MerigoldinWA
07-02-2007, 12:19 PM
It seems like you can't use names like "scarves", "Boyle", or RH to mean anything. Newbies won't even know what you are talking about. :-) And besides scarves can be as "experienced" as you can make them and if you use Boyle needles it doesn't mean you can't knit a steeked sweater or the most beautiful lace shawl with them. IOW these titles seem disparaging.

The Newbie title you use now, just means newbie to the forum, it's not the best, but I'm not sure something else would be better. It's hard to find the "perfect" solution.

Carla1019
07-02-2007, 12:37 PM
I love ZIP's idea.:happydance:

jmp3775
07-02-2007, 12:49 PM
I was going to say the exact same thing as zip. I dont see why we need labels to begin with. I says how many posts you have, and really, who cares? I mostly lurk, but does that mean if someone has a question, and I answer it, that my response shouldnt be taken seriously because I dont post all the time? Whats the point on the labels? Or even showing how many posts?

suzeeq
07-02-2007, 01:08 PM
It's just a fun thing to add to the forum is all; some of them have rather silly ones, but that's okay. And if you don't make many posts, but have quite a lot of experience (at least in the question asked), by all means your answer counts.

jmp3775
07-02-2007, 01:25 PM
It's just a fun thing to add to the forum is all; some of them have rather silly ones, but that's okay. And if you don't make many posts, but have quite a lot of experience (at least in the question asked), by all means your answer counts.

Well, I know that my answer counts, I'm just pointing out that some people may not take it as seriously because they are looking that I have been a member for however long, but dont have many posts. I'm just making my point that I dont understand why its posted under your name. I say, if you want to click on someones name to look for that info in their profile, great. I'm just saying I dont see it necessary to have titles or post counts.

Limey
07-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Hmm ...

Maybe what's called for is a bit of self-assessment.

Knitting magazines and websites always seem to grade their patterns by easy, intermediate, advanced - so why not grade ourselves that way?

When you write a new post or reply to a question, just use the simple star system by writing:

* newbie ** intermediate *** advanced (whichever applies to you)

at the top of your post or thread. That way, the signatures can be left as they are but members will know right away what degree of skill/experience you have.

All the Best
Ellie

aineepooh1
07-02-2007, 03:32 PM
I think zips idea has merit.. but I think the point (IMHO) is that this is just for fun... it does not necessarily have to do anything with defining your skill level.
I also agree alot of people lurk but dont' post.. ( I am not one of them judging by my over 1,000 posts btw :rofl:) but if I were searching through the forum as a newbie and I saw a name with 10 posts versus 889.. I would probably looks for that poster ( or pm them if I knew how) bc if they don't know I betcha they could put me in the direction of someone who does... KWIM?
also as far skill level.. I think that's ok but one of the things that really attracted me to this forum was that ALL skill levels paricipated and contributed and encourged each other.. so a newbie did NOT have to feel intimidated by someone who is working of fair isle sweater number 3..KWIM??
I dont' take t hem too seriously ... I think theyre just for fun...~

Chel
07-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Just my 2 cents but I came up with these... (And I agree its more for fun than anything else)

Buried Beneath The Stash
3 Yards Short of a Skein
Fiberous Covetus
Tangled in Fun Fur
Spins Tribble Fiber
Furiously Frogging Fun Fur
Faster than the Speed of Stockinette
Knot Knitting
Half Blocked
Negative Ease
Feeling Felted

LibraryLady
07-02-2007, 05:04 PM
I'm on several other boards of various subject matters. Some have a structured title system and others don't.

Personally I like the availability of the title to be changed. As it can be used to explain/enhance the avatar. Basing the title on how long you've been registered or how many posts you have seems redundant, when that information is already available in the same spot.

Although using it to rate your skill level as a knitter wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe there's a way we could rank our own knitting ability and that would determine what the title is... :shrug:

LL

Arielluria
07-02-2007, 05:18 PM
I think we should have the title of "KH obsessed" for anyone who is (like me) say, over 5 posts per day........(actually, as of this writing I'm over 6)!
:whistle:

YEP~ I think that is a GREAT Idea..
Perhaps Newbie Knitter, seasoned knitter, interemediate knitter, and Yarn obsessed, :teehee:

Lighting57
07-02-2007, 06:09 PM
I haven't read all of the post so if my idea has been suggested please excuse me.

Ebay has a certain color star for a ceratin amount of posted feedback. We could have a certain color skein of yarn to represent 1-100 post, 101-200 post, etc. Maybe when we reach a certain magical number, say 1000, then we are rewarded with golden knitting needles.:happydancing:

Arielluria
07-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Good idea!

chrislt8
07-02-2007, 06:25 PM
We could have a certain color skein of yarn to represent 1-100 post, 101-200 post, etc. Maybe when we reach a certain magical number, say 1000, then we are rewarded with golden knitting needles.:happydancing:

I like this idea - it would be pretty and fun!:thumbsup:

Lady Violet
07-02-2007, 06:31 PM
And, I also think it would be nice if all us guy knitters could have "Guy Knitter" or "Knitting Dude" or "Knitting Guy"under our avatars, but before our rank, so people wouldn't get confused.

i think that's a great idea! it helps clear up the p.o.v. (female knitter or male knitter - it makes a difference!)

Miss Moosey
07-02-2007, 06:45 PM
I also think that's a great idea. However, it would have to be clear what level of "postiness" each type of skein or precious metal knitting needle represented.

Renoah
07-02-2007, 07:48 PM
One forum I'm on has semi-creative standard titles based on post count, but if you do something silly or just say something quotable, a Sneaky Mod will retitle you appropriately. ;) I think I rather favor this approach. :rofling:

suzeeq
07-02-2007, 10:59 PM
I think we should have the title of "KH obsessed" for anyone who is (like me) say, over 5 posts per day........(actually, as of this writing I'm over 6)!
:whistle:

Heee, yeah I'm sure I do that many per day, if not more.... I do think obsessed ought to be in there though I like some of Chel's suggestions. Can we just adopt one of them that best describes us?

sue, 3 Yards Short of a Skein

aineepooh1
07-03-2007, 12:00 AM
I like Chel's idea AND I like the color coded system~

and the idea of GOLDEN KNITTING NEEDLES~!:inlove: it makes you feel like you won the prize~!:cheering::cheering::cheering:

mintdee
07-03-2007, 01:07 AM
One forum I'm on has semi-creative standard titles based on post count, but if you do something silly or just say something quotable, a Sneaky Mod will retitle you appropriately. ;) I think I rather favor this approach. :rofling:

Oooohhhh :twisted::twisted::twisted: I know Hildies title :eyebrow:

:chair:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Chel, I love your idea!!!!

I also like the talkymctalkpants thang too.

What's my title??? :pout: I hope it's cute! :teehee:

eta... the great whore of babylon???:twisted: or the great whore of yarnyllon???:teehee:

Shandeh
08-12-2007, 10:50 PM
I'm for ANYTHING except "Senior Member", because it makes me feel old. :???:

larudden
08-13-2007, 07:47 AM
Zip, I agree.

What SHE said....................

McKnitty
08-13-2007, 06:48 PM
If it is based on number of posts, it might take me years to reach 'senior' status! I like to look at the website to see what is going on and what is new in the forums, but I don't post often, mainly due to time constraints.

Oh, how I wish I had more time to knit and more time for this website! But often all I have time for is a quick 'peek' to see what's going on.

I thought the 'senior' status had to do with how long you have been a member. Perhaps it could be a combination of how long and how many posts? It just doesn't seem right that someone who recently joined could quickly become a 'senior' just by posting a lot.

However, I'm perfectly happy with my youthful 'junior' status, thank you very much!