PDA

View Full Version : Knitting W/out Looking

JoeE
07-02-2007, 06:55 AM
I just got back from vacation. My partner did most of the driving, so I got to knit. The problem was we were driving through the mountains, and I wanted to look at the scenery too. I got brave enough to try knitting without looking at every stitch. I'm working on a booga bag, so it's just miles and miles of stockinette stitch. After a while, it was very comfortable knitting without scrutinizing every stitch. Since I wasn't looking at my knitting, I had zero problem with motion sickness knitting in a moving car. Probably not a big deal to you experienced knitters who can knit in the dark at the movies, but it made me feel *almost* like a real knitter.

Knitting certainly made the time pass quicker. If you haven't tried it yet, I recommend it.

Joe

Braden
07-02-2007, 07:00 AM
You are a real knitter. Knitting without looking is great, isn't it? Especially when you're riding in a car/watching TV, etc. It does make stockinette, ribbing, seed stitch and moss stitch go lots faster

Congrats on your newfound skill!

KnittinMitchie
07-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Awsome JoeE. I knitted in the car on the way to Ohio from Texas and it SO helped pass the time. I'm really bad about watching TV and knitting cause I sometimes get caught up in what is on TV

redheadrachel
07-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Wow, look at you go! lol I should definitely learn how to do that, because the only t.v. I've been "watching" lately has been all listening, no watching. We sat through an entire movie and I don't think I looked at the screen a single time... lol But great job! You've inspired me :D

dustinac
07-02-2007, 09:04 AM
:happydance: That is great!! I do this a lot too... and when your with other people that are not knitting... they don't seem to mind as much cause you can keep eye contact with them while chatting...at least that is what dh tells me :rofling:

Yarnlady
07-02-2007, 09:16 AM
I remember the first time I'd knit without looking was during a suspensful part of a TV show. I was staring at the TV and knitting a hundred miles an hour. For a while I couldn't do it consciously, but soon I didn't have to watch scary movies to be able to knit with out looking!

GinnyG
07-02-2007, 09:23 AM
i KNIT IN THE CAR all the time, but also suffer from motion sickness so learned early on how to knit by feel. I ride to work with my DH and ALWAYS have something in the car to knit. You would be supriased at the end of the week how much you accomplish in a 20 minute commute. Plus it has cut down on my coffee consumption, I used to always have acup of coffee in the car. Now I take my knitting instead, no time for both:happydance:

marykz
07-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Congrats!! I can do it with stockinette, and sometimes Moss stitch... but anything else (or if I have to count) no way. I do agree with dustinac, if you are chatting with folks who aren't knitters, they definitely want more eye contact and its helpful to be able to feel what you are doing.

in my book club, at first I think people thought I wasn't listening. but now they are used to me and know I AM listening, even if I'm not staring at them.....

ready2knit
07-02-2007, 10:15 AM
I LOVE knitting and not looking! I feel more productive and less guilty. Good job on learning how- it opens up a whole new world!

Susan P.
07-02-2007, 10:26 AM
I've only ever done a few stitches without looking.. I am so lousy at picking up dropped stitches I'm too paranoid :lol:

Susan P.
07-02-2007, 10:27 AM
It would be great to relax though and do it! Maybe I should just get spare yarn and go for it and not care too much. Miss Marple just knits and watches everyone and doesn't look down :)

Ingrid
07-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Knitting without looking allows me to not seem rude when I'm with other people or in some kind of lecture.

dakatzmeow
07-02-2007, 11:26 AM
maybe someday i'll be a GROWNUP knitter and be able to do this. until then, i'll just admire your skills.

rorygilmore
07-02-2007, 12:21 PM
I can only not look for a few stitches than I have to look. Maybe one day I will be able to do it for real.

bajanKnit
07-02-2007, 01:28 PM
I MYSELF ALTHOUGH VERY NEW TO KNITTING HAVE FOUND MYSELF WITHIN RECENT TIMES TRYING TO {KWL} IT IS SCARY SO I THINK I'LL LEAVE IT UNTIL I AM MORE COMFORTABLE WITH MY ABILITIES AS A KNITTER.... BUT GOOD FOR YOU ON YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENT. :cheering:

SabrinaJL
07-02-2007, 01:56 PM
It's quite handy. I remember when I was first on here and people talked about knitting in the movie theater. I thought there was no way I'd ever be able to do that. Now I can. In fact, last week my brother and I went to see Knocked Up and I took my knitting with me. He was quite impressed that I could knit without looking at it.

psammeadred
07-03-2007, 10:49 AM
At a musical Saturday night (Oklahoma!), I started a sock and got about 1 1/2 inches of ribbing done. (I had to redo the cast on during intermission, though.)