PDA

View Full Version : FO: Catherine's Mini-Cardi/Shrug -- New Image

Slim
07-02-2007, 09:10 AM
I made this for my DIL's birthday with Sublime cashmere/merino/silk aran. The pattern is here (in pdf file format): http://mamallamaknits.theshoppe.com/Catherine%2527s%2520cropped%2520Cardi.pdf

It was a really quick, easy knit, although there are a couple of mistakes in the pattern. Now I've got to make one for myself.

GinnyG
07-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Very cute! Nice job, love the frogs.

nonny2t
07-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Very, very, cute!

UnspeakableJoy
07-02-2007, 03:13 PM
It's BEAUTIFUL! :balloons: Your daughter-in-law is very lucky to have a mother-in-law like you!!

jamadian75
07-02-2007, 05:49 PM
This looks beautiful!! Did you find an errata page for the pattern errors? Or did you just find and correct them yourself?

soobeeoz
07-02-2007, 10:54 PM
That's really nice! Love the frogs, and your knitting is so neat.

Doodknitwit
07-02-2007, 11:09 PM
love it!! what yarn?

Slim
07-03-2007, 08:00 AM
This looks beautiful!! Did you find an errata page for the pattern errors? Or did you just find and correct them yourself?
Really, the errors are pretty obvious. There's a garter stitch border along the front edges, but in a couple of places the pattern calls for purling the first and last 3 stitches of RS rows and knitting the first and last 3 stitches of WS rows. Should be knitting the first & last 3 of every row. Also, be sure and make a size larger than usual, unless you like it really snug.

Slim
07-03-2007, 08:04 AM
love it!! what yarn?
The brand is Sublime (www.sublimeyarns.com (http://www.sublimeyarns.com)), color #0008, and it's a merino/cashmere/silk blend. It's so soft, and it drapes beautifully. Handwashable, or so the label says.

Jan in CA
07-03-2007, 11:12 AM
How cute! It looks fabulous!

Slim
07-03-2007, 03:25 PM
Here's a pic of my DIL modeling her new shrug -- she had just come home from the gym when I gave it to her, so I agreed not to do a face shot. I'm really pleased with how well it fits.

Lady Violet
07-03-2007, 03:46 PM
that looks absolutely perfect! :cheering:
looks like you have become a master knitter. :thumbsup:

sylvia
07-03-2007, 04:39 PM
just beautiful
this one i will make this for my grandaughter in purple
sylvia:cheering::cheering:

Jakoh
07-04-2007, 09:33 PM
gorgeous work!!!! will knit one after I have finished the baby stuff for a colleague!

cheers

Jan in CA
07-04-2007, 09:57 PM
It fits perfectly! I bet she loves it!

ironmaiden
07-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Really, the errors are pretty obvious. There's a garter stitch border along the front edges, but in a couple of places the pattern calls for purling the first and last 3 stitches of RS rows and knitting the first and last 3 stitches of WS rows. Should be knitting the first & last 3 of every row. Also, be sure and make a size larger than usual, unless you like it really snug.

Are her arm measurements off then?

Just curious bc she made a size where the armholes would be smaller than her upper arm (i.e., 14 in size for her 15.5 in arms) and said it was snug, but one would assume it would be snug if you made it smaller than your measurements.

Slim
07-05-2007, 07:48 AM
Are her arm measurements off then?

Well, maybe my gauge is off, although my swatch was right on. But the problem I had with the sizing was the armholes weren't big enough -- it was too tight under the arms, so I just kept knitting until it fit. I ended up with 64 stitches for the arms, which is between size M and size L. It fit my dil perfectly, and she is a size 6 with 12" arms! Got to be my gauge! Also, I added a few more rows of ribbing on the arms and at the bottom for a little more length.

ironmaiden
07-05-2007, 09:09 AM
Well, maybe my gauge is off, although my swatch was right on. But the problem I had with the sizing was the armholes weren't big enough -- it was too tight under the arms, so I just kept knitting until it fit. I ended up with 64 stitches for the arms, which is between size M and size L. It fit my dil perfectly, and she is a size 6 with 12" arms! Got to be my gauge! Also, I added a few more rows of ribbing on the arms and at the bottom for a little more length.

Ah okay. I would think that just measuring the armhold length before dividing for the sleeves would take care of this - rather than following the pattern exactly for a given size.

I might cast this on today, it's super cute.

voyageofbeagle
07-07-2007, 09:02 PM
I love it! And I also realy like your yarn choice- how many skeins did you use?

Slim
07-08-2007, 09:17 AM
I used pretty well all of 3 balls of yarn at 86m/94yds per ball.

sylvia
07-09-2007, 09:05 AM
i really love this
well done
and so easy
and no seaming
right up my alley
thanks for posting
sylvia

ArtLady1981
07-10-2007, 03:29 AM
Hey there Slim! :waving:

I like yours better than the model! Your work is perfect. I bet you blocked yours. It looks like it. Blocking really "perfects" the stitches. Makes them look like they were done by machine.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful work of art with us! :thumbsup:

Slim
07-10-2007, 07:05 AM
I like yours better than the model! Your work is perfect. I bet you blocked yours. It looks like it. Blocking really "perfects" the stitches. Makes them look like they were done by machine.

Thank you! You're very kind. I received help on the blocking from Krazy4Kats on the How To Questions forum. I added a few drops of Kookaburra wool wash to water and spritzed it, then blocked it, spritzed again, and let it dry. I'm very pleased with the results.