PDA

View Full Version : Fauxhawk Hat KAL

CarmenIbanez
07-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Okay, as some of you know, I design my own stuff. But I am BORED BORED BORED with my current design that is taking me forever. I need a break. So I have ordered the "Pretty in Punk" book to make the fauxhawk hat which will be my sister's back to school gift this year. Here (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=59674&highlight=fauxhawk+hat) is a link to a previous post about the hat, and where you can find pattern. My book should be here in three days. JOIN ME! This should be a fun quick knit, depending on if you decide to do any color work.

zip
07-02-2007, 09:00 PM
I'll join you! After I saw Pammie's, I decided to make one for a friend who's a big DM fan. Probably black and red like the cover of Violator. Will you incorporate any design?

CarmenIbanez
07-03-2007, 12:08 AM
I haven't decided. I am going to wait for the book and then go look at yarn. Usually the yarn will speak to me. :teehee:

PammieJR
07-03-2007, 08:47 AM
I can't WAIT to see what you both do with this hat! And what you think!

UnspeakableJoy
07-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Count me in!! :thumbsup: I have to finish a Harry Potter scarf by next Tuesday, but I'll start my fauxhawk as soon as I'm done! I'm going with a Harry Potter Gryffindor color scheme for mine.

Yes, I am a Harry Potter nerd :teehee:

Lady Violet
07-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Yes, I am a Harry Potter nerd :teehee:

join the club. :roflhard:

that hat is definitely on my "to knit" list. it just looks so awesome and completely unexpected.

CarmenIbanez
07-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Yay! I'm excited to have some peeps to knit this with. I can't wait for the book to arrive. UGH. I hate waiting!

zip
07-03-2007, 05:51 PM
There's an almost identical version in the Domiknitrix book.

I'll have a pair of knucks finished by tomorrow for a friend, and the charity blanket will probably arrive at my house on Thursday or Friday. So, it may be a week before I begin it.

CarmenIbanez
07-03-2007, 06:04 PM
There's an almost identical version in the Domiknitrix book.

Huh, I wonder how that happens? I think that would piss me off!

Anyway, WHY why isn't my book here yet? It's been almost 24 hours since I ordered it! :teehee:

Lady Violet
07-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Anyway, WHY why isn't my book here yet? It's been almost 24 hours since I ordered it! :teehee:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

zip
07-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Huh, I wonder how that happens? I think that would piss me off!

I dunno which of them published it first.

CarmenIbanez: I want instant gratification and I want it now! :!!!:

:rofl:

CarmenIbanez
07-03-2007, 10:53 PM
CarmenIbanez: I want instant gratification and I want it now! :!!!:

:rofl:

Is that really so much to ask? :shrug:

:teehee:

DeAnzaJig
07-03-2007, 11:18 PM
I think I'd like to join in on this one. (My first KAL!)

Since my library only has copies of the Dominknitrix book, I put in a request for it and should have it in a few days. Zip, I hope you're right about it being almost identical, because I loved PammieJR's!

What kind of yarn is everyone going to use?

IBAmyB
07-04-2007, 12:54 AM
I am thinking of knitting this, but I am very novice knitter. How difficult is this pattern? Any thing especially complicated?

Thanks!

zip
07-04-2007, 10:53 AM
I think I'd like to join in on this one. (My first KAL!)

Since my library only has copies of the Dominknitrix book, I put in a request for it and should have it in a few days. Zip, I hope you're right about it being almost identical, because I loved PammieJR's!

What kind of yarn is everyone going to use?

the Domiknitrix mohawk
http://www.domiknitrix.com/dkx_images/mohawk_hat01_sm.jpg

the Pretty in Punk mohawk (includes a second pattern for one done in colorwork)
http://www.knit-head.com/images/Knit_Head_HOME_21.jpg http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/12370000/12372203.gif

zipped review:
the Domiknitrix book is a true knitting book, filled with techniques, tutorials and patterns - it's seriously awesome. The PiP book includes patterns and a glossary. They're priced the same, so I'd choose Domiknitrix if I had to choose only one.

PammieJR
07-04-2007, 11:24 AM
It looks like they are almost identical, although made with different materials?

The Pretty in Punk is a wool/mohair blend and you felt it slightly to get that crazy fluffed out mohawk

The dominatrix also kinda looks like a Roman helmet versus the Pretty in Punk which is a hat with earflaps...does that make sense? The ear part looks different?

Since I have already knitted my share of fauxhawks, I can guide people through the Pretty in punk mohawk if anyone needs it. I was in contact with the author the whole time I was knitting it, she gave me some hints!

PS. I just checked out the domiknitrix website...coolstuff!

zip
07-04-2007, 12:03 PM
It looks like they are almost identical, although made with different materials?

The Pretty in Punk is a wool/mohair blend and you felt it slightly to get that crazy fluffed out mohawk

The dominatrix also kinda looks like a Roman helmet versus the Pretty in Punk which is a hat with earflaps...does that make sense? The ear part looks different?

Since I have already knitted my share of fauxhawks, I can guide people through the Pretty in punk mohawk if anyone needs it. I was in contact with the author the whole time I was knitting it, she gave me some hints!

PS. I just checked out the domiknitrix website...coolstuff!

The Domiknitrix version does look Roman helmety! :rofl: Good call. The yarn requirements read superwash for the black portion and wool/mohair blend for the green. Also, instructions aren't included for the attached i-cord, plus felting the Pretty in Punk version makes a difference in the final appearance.

Good to know that you'll be on call for all of us!

CarmenIbanez
07-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Where is that darned book!!!!????!!!! It's been AT LEAST 36 hours now!

DeAnzaJig
07-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the review and display/explanation of the two hats/books, Zip! It was very helpful.

Do you think if I went with the DK version, used the mohair/wool for the hawk, and did a bit of felting I could get the same fluffed out look? I'm knitting this for my brother, and I think he's more of Roman Helmet style person. :lol:

Jillle
07-05-2007, 11:58 AM
I can't believe I missed this KAL!
I'm going to be knitting this...going today to see if Pretty in Punk is still at Barnes & Nobles.

My DH's grandson was diagnosed with lymphoma on Monday. He is 17 and not very happy about losing his hair when chemo starts. I'm sure I'll be knitting a few caps for him and I thought this would be a fun one for him. Do you agree?

CarmenIbanez
07-05-2007, 12:07 PM
I totally agree! And I'm glad you found this. We can KAL together! Fun!

Lady Violet
07-05-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm going to be knitting this...going today to see if Pretty in Punk is still at Barnes & Nobles.

My DH's grandson was diagnosed with lymphoma on Monday. He is 17 and not very happy about losing his hair when chemo starts. I'm sure I'll be knitting a few caps for him and I thought this would be a fun one for him. Do you agree?

most definitely! :thumbsup:

Jillle
07-05-2007, 02:41 PM
I just went to B&N and they didn't have Pretty in Punk, but they did have Dominknitrix...so I got it. After reading Zip's review, it sounded like a good choice.

This will be fun to see how the two patterns turn out. Off to get the yarn later today!:cheering:

CarmenIbanez
07-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Where is that tantrum emoticon when I need it? I WANT MY BOOK! It better show up today!!!!

CarmenIbanez
07-05-2007, 03:39 PM
My head is going to spin around and pop off any minute. I just went to check my order and it hasn't even shipped yet! I ordered on MONDAY! :waah:

zip
07-05-2007, 07:13 PM

It'll be perfect! :cheering:

Today, I learned that a friend's gorgeous college-age daughter is currently undergoing chemo for the same illness. So, she's getting priority over my Depeche Mode fan friend. I'll have to decide how to either pretty it up or otherwise goofy it up for her.

CI: Chrissie Hynde called and said for you to stop your sobbin'. ;)

zip
07-05-2007, 07:15 PM
I am thinking of knitting this, but I am very novice knitter. How difficult is this pattern? Any thing especially complicated?

Thanks!

It's more difficult than a scarf, and less so than a sock. Do it! :cheering:

PammieJR
07-05-2007, 09:45 PM
I too have a friend undergoing chemo for Hodgkin's Lymphoma at the age of 28. I have already made her two hats and I am making two more. I have made all of mine in some sort of cotton so that her head wouldn't get too hot and the yarn wouldn't scratch her scalp.

She really liked the mohawk hat, but it is wool/mohair. I am seriously thinking of knitting the cap part in a cotton and making the mohawk in the wool/mohair blend so it felts

PammieJR
07-05-2007, 09:48 PM
This just came to me, I don't know how the KAL usually work, but it would be cool if people showed us the yarn they bought for their hats! Then we can picture what the hat might look like.

Jillle
07-05-2007, 09:59 PM
:inlove::woot::inlove::woot::inlove::woot:
Pammie, Love your avatar!!!

Isn't it strange how Pammie, Zip and I are all from San Diego and we all know someone who is undergoing chemo for Hodgkin's Lymphoma at the same time. Do you think that is a weird coincidence?

IBAmyB
07-05-2007, 10:00 PM
It's more difficult than a scarf, and less so than a sock. Do it! :cheering:

I showed my husband a pic of this hat yesterday (he's a HUGE Depeche Mode fan) and I don't think he really thinks I am going to knit him one.... Just wait 'til he gets back in November and I have it done for him! :rofling:

(He's deployed to Iraq right now, was supposed to get back next month, but extended 3 extra months... :( )

Jillle
07-05-2007, 10:03 PM
The hat will be such a great surprise for him when he gets back!!:cheering:

DeAnzaJig
07-05-2007, 10:30 PM
CarmenIbanez - That totally sucks that your book won't ship until Monday! I'd be annoyed for sure. How about this emoticon? :ick: Or one of these guys ? :tap::hair:

:rofling: Awesome Avatar Pammie!

Jille, I agree that this will be a great hat for you DH's grandson.

IBAmyB, who wouldn't want to come back to a fauxhawk hat? :lol:

The library says my book is in shipped status, so hopefully it will get there tomorrow or Saturday!!

I'm up for posting my yard...sort of like a before and after shot? Before fauxhawk....blobs of sad yard... After fauxhawk... happy rockin' yard!!!

CarmenIbanez
07-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Isn't it strange how Pammie, Zip and I are all from San Diego and we all know someone who is undergoing chemo for Hodgkin's Lymphoma at the same time. Do you think that is a weird coincidence?

Actually that really does worry me. Why is that?

CarmenIbanez - That totally sucks that your book won't ship until Monday! I'd be annoyed for sure. How about this emoticon? :ick: Or one of these guys ? :tap::hair:

I received an email that it is supposed to ship today. So maybe I'll have it by Monday?

For sure we should post all the way along in our projects. Usually people put up pictures of their yarn and then pictures periodically throughout the project. It is nice to document it because others can vicariously enjoy, or later, look it up to see how they are doing compared to others' work in progress!

Pammie: You made the one from pretty in punk, it the hat part two layers, or just one?

PammieJR
07-06-2007, 08:40 PM
It is freaky that we all know someone with cancer and they are so YOUNG. My friend Jenn is from and lives in Georgia (her brother and I were on the drumline together in high school there), so it isn't a San Diego thing...I hope...

Thanks for the compliment on the avatar, everyone...I have been thinking of what to use here...and what better than that crazy picture of me wearing my "Betsy Ross" fauxhawk hat! LOL

Carmen, the hat is kinda created in three steps...you knit each side, sew them together and then create the mohawk.

BIG HINT: The book has you starting the hat from the bottom and picking up stitches to then make the ear flaps. Alyce said they have changed the way they make the hats since the patterns went to the printers. They now suggest starting at the top and knitting down, therefore no need to pick up stitches to create the earflaps...the hat and ear flaps are one...

This will make more sense when you see the pattern!

CarmenIbanez
07-06-2007, 09:03 PM
I totally get what you mean. Is there an updated version of the hat pattern in the book now, or do you email to them to get corrections?

DeAnzaJig
07-07-2007, 04:55 PM
:ick: :wall:

I can't believe it! I was all set to pick up Domiknitrix at the library, but it was closed! I thought I knew the Saturday hours, but apparently not.

I won't be able to get the book or get started until next Saturday as I'll be out of town this upcoming week

CarmenIbanez
07-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Oh bummer! Well who knows if my book will ever show up in the mail. I know all you guys are rooting for me, because otherwise we'll have another four pages of me whining about not having it yet!

:teehee:

I just checked and its not due to be here until the 11th! WHATEVER!

beckyrhae
07-07-2007, 05:33 PM
I have the Domiknitrix book and my daughter has been bugging me for the fauxhawk hat... I need to finish the snood first, its for my stepdaughters bday which is the 21st.

CarmenIbanez
07-08-2007, 02:41 PM
Well I just tracked the book and it is only two hours away from me, and today is Sunday, so I am hoping for Tuesday. Pammie: talk to me about yarn requirements. Maybe I can go shopping for yarn now so when the book arrives I can be ready?

Jillle
07-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Has anyone else started the Dominknitrix hat? I spent a day knitting and ripping. I just couldn't get the hang of the lifted increases.:whoosh:

I finally got it!:thumbsup:

Andee-I hopez you getz your book today...or soon. I would like to try to knit the Pretty in Punk one after I do this one. :psst:Maybe we can have a pattern swap when I see you? Is that Kosher?

CarmenIbanez
07-09-2007, 03:02 PM
I think that would be okay. :shrug:

We are going to FF soon! I have been dieting my *ss off so I can fit into my clothes. Otherwise I'll be wearing a bathrobe on the plane!
What time do you want to meet at the airport? Oh wait, wrong thread. PM me or you can respond in your blog!

PammieJR
07-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Carmen,

I know off the top of my head that the "God Save the Queen" British flag style fauxhawk requires 1 skein each of red, white, and blue (or whatever colors you choose). I don't know about the monochrome fauxhawk since you have some left over of each color.

As for the "correction" to the pattern, I don't think it was an "official" correction. I don't even know why Alyce told me they were making them from the top down now. But that is the only change. And I had a complete brain block on how she said to make the mohawk, so I asked her for suggestions again.

I kinda met Alyce through Depeche Mode stuff, wow, over a year and a half ago now. But I think if you sent her a message through the Pretty In Punk MySpace page, she would answer any questions. She seems like a real sweetheart and of coarse I will help anyway I can!

edited to add: Can I confess, I never imagined the library would have knitting pattern books! You all have me so curious, I found the Domiknitrix book is available at my local library, so I am going to check it out!

CarmenIbanez
07-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Um. Red, white and blue of what kind of yarn? :shrug:

I need to know what the yarn is so I can buys it! :shifty:

Jillle
07-09-2007, 06:41 PM
I think that would be okay. :shrug:

We are going to FF soon! I have been dieting my *ss off so I can fit into my clothes. Otherwise I'll be wearing a bathrobe on the plane!
What time do you want to meet at the airport? Oh wait, wrong thread. PM me or you can respond in your blog!

OK. I'll respond in my blog...since I haven't visited in over a week. Its probably all dusty!;)

Jillle
07-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Andee-Did you get your book yet??

CarmenIbanez
07-10-2007, 08:23 PM
:tantrum:

CarmenIbanez
07-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Okay, scheduled delivery for my book is today. So it better get here very soon! Anyone with the Pretty in Punk book want to help me with the yarn requirements? I'd like to figure out what I need so I can go get it! :shifty:

CarmenIbanez
07-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Does anyone know if you the "pretty in punk" girls have a blog that other than what is on myspace?

PammieJR
07-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Sorry, I flaked...it is the Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride 85% wool, 15%

CarmenIbanez
07-11-2007, 01:42 PM
kewl. thx. :cheering:

CarmenIbanez
07-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Okay, so do I have to use the Lamb's pride on the hat part? Or can I just use that for the hawk part?

Jillle
07-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Is it worsted or bulky? The Dominknitrix hat is bulky.:shrug:

CarmenIbanez
07-11-2007, 06:48 PM
MY BOOK CAME!!!!!! :woot:

DeAnzaJig
07-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Yay!!!! :cheering:

PammieJR
07-11-2007, 10:36 PM
I feel bad, here I have offerded to help and I wasn't much help with you trying to at least get your yarn before the book, I apologize Carmen.

Now that you have it, are you going to attempt the hat in another yarn from the mohawk?

CarmenIbanez
07-12-2007, 01:52 AM
Yes. I am making the hat for my sister who has a wool allergy. So I am going to expirament with some stuff I already have to see if I can get gauge.

PammieJR
07-12-2007, 07:27 PM
You might also want to think about what size hat to make (I beleive there was a small, medium, large) since you won't be actually felting the hat part, it needs to fit your sister's head as it is knit, rather than after felting with a full wool hat!

I am sure you will be able to find something fab!

Jillle
07-16-2007, 02:18 PM
I am really an idiot sometimes! I made the top of the hat. Then you add a right and left gusset. Then start knitting the sides and back of the hat. That's where I am. Now I noticed one of the gussets is knitted inside out. :doh:

I don't wanna rip, but it would look stooopid! :gah:

CarmenIbanez
07-16-2007, 02:32 PM
OH NOES!

CarmenIbanez
07-16-2007, 02:33 PM
You might also want to think about what size hat to make (I beleive there was a small, medium, large) since you won't be actually felting the hat part, it needs to fit your sister's head as it is knit, rather than after felting with a full wool hat!

I am sure you will be able to find something fab!

In reading the directions, you put the whole hat in the wash for felting, no? Does it not shrink much or what? I'm just wondering if the mohair part is important to the hair? Do you think I could get away with like cashmerino?

PammieJR
07-18-2007, 12:44 AM
My hats didn't really shrink that much, even when I put them in on a hot cycle first. I think the wool is the key to making the mohawk part fluff and kinda dread lock.

I think you could TOTALLY knit the hat in one yarn and construct the mohawk in something else.

I am embarrassed to say I don't know what is in a cashmerino...cashmere and wool?

CarmenIbanez
07-18-2007, 01:56 AM
Yes, but I'm not sure merino wool will felt enough.

CarmenIbanez
07-23-2007, 01:25 AM
Okay, I started the hat during Fiber Fest. I am ready to attach the "hawk" part and I am not understanding the direction. Can you give me some insight Pammie? The knots are on the right side of the hat, right? not the inside? And to each side of the seam?

CarmenIbanez
07-23-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm still really confused. Are the knots on the outside of hat? I don't see them on your hat? Argh!

CarmenIbanez
07-23-2007, 03:47 PM
I felted! The pasteza that Jille and I bought does not felt the mohawk the exact same way. The hair looks great, but my hair was fallling over at the knot. I picked apart all the fringe, and then tied a strand from each fringe knot to a strand from the next fringe knot and that helped a lot. Our yarn blend has a lot of mohair, so be careful because the hat part felted faster than the hair. I almost felted too much! Pics in a few minutes when I am done with the hair!

CarmenIbanez
07-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Okay, here it is! I really like the hair. I may do my next one with a little bit shorter fringe, knowing how this particular yarn felts. I do love how the additional mohair in the hat part makes it really look like hair!

CarmenIbanez
07-23-2007, 04:23 PM
here's another pic

beckyrhae
07-23-2007, 06:12 PM
LOVE IT! I ordered my book just the other day... the felting had me curious about the differences between this hat and the Domiknitrix hat. Both very cute... but the felted mohawk is just wonderful.

Jillle
07-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Andee-I love it!!! OMG, its great!:cheering: It looks a little roosterish.:teehee: Your sister is going to love it!

I have mine seamed. Now to fringe.

CarmenIbanez
07-23-2007, 07:13 PM
As the yarn dries all the way, the "hawk" his standing up a bit more, it keeps looking better and better!

My felting process took about 10-12 minutes. But I checked it every 2-3 minutes. I put a towel in with the hat after about 5 minutes because it wasn't felting fast at all.

I have enough yarn left over for AT LEAST one more hat, maybe two. But the fringe took almost the whole ball. Plus I did not do the i-cord, so that left extra as well.

Jillle
07-24-2007, 12:52 AM
I'm finished!:cheering:

Andee-Your idea of tying the fringes together was flippin' brilliant!! My fringe was all floppy before I did that.

I think if you do it again, make the large and felt the crap out of it.

Here is my pic. Love the hat, hate my profile!:(41880

CarmenIbanez
07-24-2007, 01:20 AM
I'm a thinker! :teehee:

I asked in your blog, but I am going to ask again here for other hat makers. Did you do your fringe so that it was 4" pieces that were doubled over to make 2" fringe? Because I think I misread the directions and did 8" pieces doubled over to make 4" fringe. But yours is good for boy hat. I will make the fringe shorter for my son's hat.

Jillle
07-24-2007, 01:42 AM
I used 8 inches and then tied it. I think it comes down to felting time. When I took the hat out first and separated the fringe, it looked like your hat. My hat was still too big, so I put it in for another cycle. It made the fringe shorter. Still floppy though. Then I tied it, like you suggested. I smoothed it out straight and it stayed.

I think you're right about your's being more girlie. Its adorable.:thumbsup:

PammieJR
07-24-2007, 06:30 PM
I am sorry, yet again, I fail to be there to help!

I was out of town this weekend and didn't get on the internet at all.

But ladies, you didn't need me...those fauxhawks look GREAT!!!!!!

As for the mohawk hats, for anyone else...the knots go on the outside of the hat, right along the seam...

AND my fauxhawk hair on the british flag one was only 3" high (cut to 6" folded over to 3") because that is what that particular fauxhawk called for. On my Betsy Ross, I actually made the fauxhawk staggered the outside red was 3", blue 3.5", white 4" as per Alyce's advice.

So are you all pleased? They really do you wonderful.

CarmenIbanez
07-24-2007, 06:36 PM
I love mine and already have orders for several more. I think I know what christmas gifts will be this year!

DeAnzaJig
07-24-2007, 09:42 PM
Your fauxhawks look great! :cheering:

I haven't started mine yet, as I was side-tracked when Oddball Blanket #3 arrived at my house. I'm done with my 3 inches and ready to send it on its way.

I know Carmen used the Punk book pattern, but which pattern did you use Jillie?

I want to add a picture to the side of the Domiknitrix hat, but I am not sure how to do it. Plus, I plan on felting the hawk part. :lol:

CarmenIbanez
07-24-2007, 10:09 PM
I do not have the domiknitrix book, but I think the pretty in punk pattern is an easier knit/construction than the other. It is a very easy pattern, and therefore easier to modify. :shrug:

zip
07-24-2007, 10:17 PM
:cheering: They both look great!

I haven't started yet either, DeAnzaJig. :( I'm hoping to do so by this weekend. I haven't even completely read through either pattern or determined whether I have the yarn or need the yarn. :shifty:

zip
07-24-2007, 10:21 PM
Okay, here it is! I really like the hair. I may do my next one with a little bit shorter fringe, knowing how this particular yarn felts. I do love how the additional mohair in the hat part makes it really look like hair!

love the floopy-doo-ness of it. I'll go with the the more stand-up-iness, but I do love the floopy-doo.

does that make sense? I'm finishing up a dirty martini, so maybe it doesn't. :rofl:

Jillle
07-25-2007, 03:13 AM
I started making the Dominitrix one. It is a very interesting pattern. A bit complicated. The problem was that, after I knit the top and the side gussets, I realized one gusset was inside out.:sad:

So...Since I was traveling to Chicago with Carmen last week, we did the Pretty in Punk hat together. Much, much easier pattern. Also, I do like the fact that its felted.

CarmenIbanez
07-25-2007, 12:43 PM
I like that it's felted too!

DeAnzaJig
07-27-2007, 06:37 AM
You've all convinced me that Pretty in Punk is the way to go, so I'm going to order the book tonight. No point in bothering with Domiknitrix when I liked the look of Pretty in Punk immediately.

What type/brand of yarn did you use for your hats?

beckyrhae
07-27-2007, 08:49 AM
I've started my first one with cascade 220 for my daughter, I'm doubling the yarn since the pattern calls for LP Bulky. I'm using the colors she picked out for her jester tentacle bag. Should be way funky when I'm done. LOL

The LYS has ordered me some LP Bulky in the colors I will need to make a Green Bay Packers hat. My BIL, FIL, DH and myself are going to the Packers vs. Cowboys game this Thanksgiving and we are sooooo excited! My FIL is from Wisconsin and the first time he met me, I was wearing my Favre shirt... he knew I was a keeper! So I'm making GB hats with the big G on the side and a green and white mohawk (just like the helmets) for us to wear to the game. LOL

Jillle
07-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Carmen and I used Cascade Pastaza. It has 50% llama and 50% wool. The pattern calls for Lambs Pride Bulky. The Pastaza is a good substitute if you can't find the LP.

I would think doubled Cascade 220 would work fine, also.

CarmenIbanez
07-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Be careful though. The llama in the pastaza was great for felting. Cascasde 220 felts FAST! So you might have to watch it more closely than the others. But I love 220, it is a great yarn with a great color selection.

DeAnzaJig
07-27-2007, 06:30 PM
beckyrhae - The hat I'm making will be for my brother and he's a huge Jets fan, so I want to put the Jets logo on the side. It really is the perfect football game day hat. :lol:

Thanks for the info on the yarn types. I guess my biggest challenge will be trying to find a match to "Jets green."

PammieJR
07-29-2007, 12:31 PM
WOW...I can't wait to see the football team themed fauxhawks...

Like the rest of you, I really like Cascade 220, I love the inventiveness of doubling it to make it bulky.

It's funny, I have been asked to possibly do a San Diego Chargers fauxhawk...I can show them yours and see if they still want one!

beckyrhae
07-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Ok... here is my first fauxhawk hat with cascade 220.

I doubled throughout the pattern, I'm thinking I didnt have to do this for the mohawk part, could have done an extra row or something, but its still cute.

VERY BRIGHT

Made to match my daughters Jester Tentacle bag

Jillle
07-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Looks great! It felted really nicely.:cheering:

CarmenIbanez
07-30-2007, 06:35 PM
That looks great! Super job! :cheering:

beckyrhae
07-31-2007, 05:03 AM
I'm now waiting patiently for the LP Bulky to come in so I can start my Green Bay versions.:nails: when I showed my BIL my idea, he asked if I would knit him a Dallas version and my reply was it would kill my hands to knit with those colors... LOL:twisted: He really wants one for the game as well, so if my GB fauxhawk hats turn out spiffy, a cowboy one is in the works. ( I just told him to not tell anyone *I* made it for him. :teehee:)

CarmenIbanez
07-31-2007, 11:36 AM
The things we do in the name of knitting!

DeAnzaJig
08-03-2007, 07:51 AM
My Pretty in Punk book came in! :cheering:

Now I just have to finish a scarf I'm making for my SIL's birthday, measure my brother's head, find the right color yarn for the hat, and get started!

Beckyrhae - Your first fauxhawk came out awesome! The colors really stand out.

PammieJR
08-04-2007, 01:36 AM
WOW, Becky, your fauxhawk is BEAUTIFUL I love the colors...I think the hat and hawk felted fabulously!!!

beckyrhae
08-04-2007, 02:52 AM
WOW, Becky, your fauxhawk is BEAUTIFUL I love the colors...I think the hat and hawk felted fabulously!!!

:blush: awww shucks. Thanks for the complement!

beckyrhae
08-07-2007, 11:29 PM
Yay! My yarn has arrived! :woot:

So I need to chart out the first hat again... the last time the G looked a little wonky. I'm also going to knit these in the round. I really hate seaming. :teehee: I figure I will purl the first and last stitch of each half so there is center seam.

Lady Violet
08-07-2007, 11:48 PM
i just went to my lys. i was looking for brown sheep naturespun to start my dr. who scarf. they didn't have it. :verysad: but they did have LP bulky. yay!!! so now when i'm ready to start my fauxhawk, i won't have to wait for my yarn. :woohoo:

CarmenIbanez
08-20-2007, 12:58 AM
I just got another round of yarn for my next two Fauxhawks! One for my son in blonde hat/red hawk and one for my sisters boyfriend in black hat/bright blue hair. So excited to make another one of these. They are so much fun!