PDA

View Full Version : Socks on 2 circulars

gamerchik
07-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Hello! I'm working on my first sock (top-down on 2 circs) and although I've made a lot of mistakes and chose my yarn poorly, it's actually looking like a sock.

I found using DPN's to be an absolute pain in the butt, so I'm trying it this way and it's much easier.

Anyway, I have three questions:

1. Where can I find some good patterns (preferably easy ones) for knitting socks on 2 circular needles?
2. Are there any books with good patterns for this method? I've heard about that "Socks Soar" book but I've gotten mixed reviews for it.
3. How do you adapt a pattern that was written for DPN's to be used for circular needles?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer. :)

Jill A.
07-02-2007, 10:40 PM
I too found DPNs to be trouble. I can't stand to knit on bamboo of any size, and the Knitpicks DPNs would slide out of my stitches.

I knit on 2 circulars, addi turbo size 2.5mm. Just about any pattern can be adjusted for 2 circulars. I am knitting the Monkey sock from Knitty currently. I make notes about which DPNs in the pattern will be on which circular needle. You can also make up your own pattern. Look through stitch patterns and pick one that works over the number of stitches that you use. For example: I knit socks for me with 60 stitches. I could choose a stitch pattern that repeats every 10 stitches, 6 stitches, 2 stitches, 5 stitches, 3 stitches or 4 stitches.

Good luck! I totally love circulars. I love being able to "cram" my sock back into my bag without worrying that I will drop stitches.

Calamintha
07-03-2007, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't recommend Socks Soar. Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch is a much better book with lots more patterns. The patterns are also adaptable to any size foot. Neither of the books has any good pictures however so you might want to take a look at the site below when you're starting out:

http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/twocirculars.html

There is also software called Sock Wizard that will generate patterns based on shoe size that gives directions for 2 circs. I love doing socks on 2 circs.

BTW, I just finished Oblivion a while ago. Loved it. Am doing Shivering Isles now but also got sucked into the vortex that is World of Warcraft!

Yarn Doc
07-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Sock Bug has lots of sock patterns, and I think Socktopia too.

http://sockbug.blog-city.com/

http://socktopia.net/blog/patterns/ (look on the right top, under pages --> SE Patterns)

dakatzmeow
07-03-2007, 11:55 AM
i have the socks soar book and use it more for a guide than anything. have you tried searching for a tutorial on the 2 circs method?

as far as converting patterns. i set my stitches up so that one needle holds stitches from needles 1 and 4, and the other holds stitches from needles 2 and 3. that way, the places where you do your gusset decreases are set up at the ends of each needle.

hth

gamerchik
07-04-2007, 04:14 AM
Thanks so much to all of you!!! I'm ashamed to admit that I've frogged the sock twice and I'm so frustrated that I'm going to work on something else for a while.

I was doing the Straight-laced socks pattern and I can do the ribbing fine, but when I got to the lace pattern part, I was having a hard time. I'm not used to knitting on Size 3 needles and the K2tog stitches were driving me nuts...I really had to force the needle into them (and I don't think I'm a terribly tight knitter) and it stopped being fun. Then somehow I lost two stitches somewhere and I just gave up. :shrug:

Also, I was really frustrated because it seemed like I knitted for hours and all I had to show for it was 2" of ribbing. I'm not in a HURRY when I knit, but I do like to see results.

Socks have been intimidating me for a while now. I just wish I could sit with someone who would knit a sock along with me and show me what to do, step by step. :cry:

KT120
07-04-2007, 01:31 PM
"Socks have been intimidating me for a while now. I just wish I could sit with someone who would knit a sock along with me and show me what to do, step by step. "

If you really would like someone to help you out, could you drop by a knit night at a LYS or place an ad on craigslist asking for help? Just a thought so you don't feel quite so fustrated.

Calamintha
07-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Sounds like your needles may not have a sharp enough tip on them. Some needles are fairly blunt you will find it easier to knit socks with needles that have a sharp tip that lets you dig into the stitches. Look for a different brand with sharper tips. Inox, Addi Lace needles and KP options all have fairly sharp tips.

Skater
07-04-2007, 04:06 PM
Thanks so much for asking this question, Gamerchik. I've used the Socks that Soar and Sensational Knitted Socks books so far, but want to expand my two-circ sock-making horizons.

You will love it once you get going. Have you tried Inox needles?

gamerchik
07-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Okay...when I say I wish someone would sit and show me how to do it, I just mean mostly for moral support, lol. I'm pretty sure I get what I'm SUPPOSED to do. I'm not sure about the LYS. I haven't met anyone there yet.

I got really flustered when I lost those stitches, and I was REALLY struggling to get the needle in on the K2tog parts. AND, like I said...it seemed like it was taking forever!

I have those cheapy circulars (Boye or Bates), not the fancy pointy ones that you all have (I'm a pretty new knitter), so that might be the problem -- I hadn't thought about that before. Do the pointy needles hurt your fingers? I push the stitch off the needle by pushing down on it with my finger.

Calamintha
07-06-2007, 06:25 PM
I have the Inox/Prym needles and I don't find that they hurt my fingers. They are reasonably priced too (compared to Addis anyway). I bought some of the new Addi Lace needles and I found that they do hurt my fingers but the thing is that if you find the needles are hurting your fingers you can put a little bandaid on the spot and after a while you will learn to stop pushing the needle in such a way that it's not hurting your finger. Some people do like the regular Addi Turbos for sock knitting even though the tips are fairly blunt but if you want sharp tips make sure you ask about the Addi Lace needles or the Inox if they carry them.

dakatzmeow
07-06-2007, 11:40 PM
the knitpicks classic circs are so cheap, why don't you buy a pair and try them out? (no, i'm not getting paid, and yes! i'm biased! i love my kp needles!)