PDA

View Full Version : Laila's Crazy Quilt DONE!

ArtLady1981
07-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Well, finally! The Stash Yarn Crazy Quilt for my dear granddaughter is DONE!

48 Squares, each 8"x8".

All patterns for the squares were taken from "200 Afghan Squares".

Each square was almost a perfect fit...despite all the slight differences in gauge! Some blocking and steaming and tweaking helped a good fit!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/LailasCrazyQuiltFinishedJuly4200700.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/LailasCrazyQuiltFinishedJuly4200-1.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/LailasCrazyQuiltFinishedJuly4200-2.jpg

Jan in CA
07-04-2007, 09:53 PM
:passedout: That's a lot of seaming! It looks awesome though! Is Laila your daughter... or gd?

PammieJR
07-04-2007, 09:54 PM
AWESOME...totally awesome!

ADAllen
07-04-2007, 10:08 PM
That is awesome... though part of me hopes that I never have that much yarn in my stash (my hubby just wouldn't understand).

Doodknitwit
07-04-2007, 10:10 PM
vry very cool

auburnchick
07-04-2007, 10:54 PM
ArtLady,

As always, your work is :passedout:.

Your family is totally lucky to have such a wonderful knitter as yourself! Wow!

knitwit628
07-04-2007, 11:25 PM
wow! it's wonderful!!!!!!!! :passedout: i agree, a lot of seaming! but definitely worth it... I bet she'll enjoy it!!!!!

ArtLady1981
07-05-2007, 03:55 AM
:eyes:AWESOME...totally awesome!

YUP! The mattress seaming took TWO DEDICATED DAYS...I mean dedicated!

I have another CRAZY QUILT planned for Celeste, my other granddaughter. However...the seaming for Laila's crazy quilt drove me so crazy :eyes: that I am going to do something different for Celeste's quilt.

I am going to cast on 210 stitches...35 stitches from each of 6 different skeins...and work back and forth off those 6 skeins til the squares created reach 8" in height...then I will swap out those 6 skeins for 6 different skeins...and so forth...til the quilt is 6 squares wide by 8 squares tall...48 squares in all.

I developed a master plan using an Excel Spreadsheet. I weighed all my Stash skeins. I know that each 8"x8" square takes about 25 g.

So I now know how many squares each Stash skein will give me...and by that I can plan out a Crazy Quilt.

I will follow that plan as best I can.

This style of Crazy Quilt will eliminate the seaming! It will require "color block" techniques...but...that is easy compared to seaming!

Thanks for all your generous words! I love this Crazy Quilt better than any I have made in the past. I just love the saturated primary colors. Such HAPPY COLORS!

This colorful quilt is for my 4 year old granddaughter. My DH and I have 10 grandchildren...8 girls and 2 boys. I have knit a million stitches for these babies over the years!!!! :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

sig
07-05-2007, 04:50 AM
just beautiful!!!! :inlove:

JudyD
07-05-2007, 07:06 AM
Beautiful stitching!

:cheering::cheering::cheering:

JudyD

GinnyG
07-05-2007, 07:17 AM
Really beautiful!!!!

Mattress seaming? What is that?

LeslieRR
07-05-2007, 08:09 AM
That turned out beautiful! Your granddaughter is going to be so happy and I'm sure she'll treasure it for many many years!

You must have an amazing stash. (I'm ashamed to admit that I could probably knit at least one or 2 of these myself from stash yarn)

Who wrote the book that the squares are in? I really like some of the patterns!

auburnchick
07-05-2007, 08:31 AM
My DH and I have 10 grandchildren...8 girls and 2 boys. I have knit a million stitches for these babies over the years!!!! :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

::::::::::::::Nathalie raises her hand to be adopted by Artlady::::::::::::::

Lucky, lucky family! What a blessing your hands have been!!!! :hug:

DeAnzaJig
07-05-2007, 08:36 AM
I :heart: your crazy quilt!!! It reminds me of an afghan my grandma made for me.

losnana
07-05-2007, 12:50 PM
WOW!!!

Teeka
07-05-2007, 02:28 PM
I am going to cast on 210 stitches...35 stitches from each of 6 different skeins...and work back and forth off those 6 skeins til the squares created reach 8" in height...then I will swap out those 6 skeins for 6 different skeins...and so forth...til the quilt is 6 squares wide by 8 squares tall...48 squares in all.

I developed a master plan using an Excel Spreadsheet. I weighed all my Stash skeins. I know that each 8"x8" square takes about 25 g.

So I now know how many squares each Stash skein will give me...and by that I can plan out a Crazy Quilt.

I will follow that plan as best I can.

This style of Crazy Quilt will eliminate the seaming! It will require "color block" techniques...but...that is easy compared to seaming!

What a great idea! What are "Color block techniques"?

KnittingNat
07-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Really beautiful!!!!

Mattress seaming? What is that?
It's a way to attach pieces so the seam is invisible. Amy has a video on that :cheering:

KnittingNat
07-05-2007, 03:03 PM
ArtLady, this is fabulous:passedout::passedout::passedout:. It soooooo loooovelllyy. You're such a dedicated knitter :notworthy:

GinnyG
07-05-2007, 03:05 PM
It's a way to attach pieces so the seam is invisible. Amy has a video on that :cheering:

Thanks, I'm off to find it!

nadja la claire
07-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Uh, all that sewing!!!!! Of course it's beautiful.....everything you do is. Your granddaughter is very lucky.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

mwedzi
07-05-2007, 05:49 PM
Wow! This is amazing. I love that square with the blue and green, the one with the red, yellow, and blue square to its left. I have this book, so I'm going to go look for it now.

ArtLady1981
07-05-2007, 07:53 PM
That turned out beautiful! Your granddaughter is going to be so happy and I'm sure she'll treasure it for many many years!

You must have an amazing stash. (I'm ashamed to admit that I could probably knit at least one or 2 of these myself from stash yarn)

Who wrote the book that the squares are in? I really like some of the patterns!

Hi Leslie! :waving:

Here is a photo of the book! It is THE BEST afghan book I ever saw!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_0640.jpg

ArtLady1981
07-05-2007, 08:02 PM
What a great idea! What are "Color block techniques"?

Well, it is a method of wrapping yarn A around the back of yarn B when you are leaving A to start with B. It "ties" or "links" them together.

So, for example: I will cast on 35 stitches in color A...drop A...cast on 35 in color B...drop B...cast on 35 stitches....etc. etc.

I am casting on 35 stitches using 6 different colors for my foundation. So I will have 6 skeins attached to my circs.

So, again, when I get to the end of the 35 stitches for color A...I have to wrap B and A around each other...I call it "tagging"...so that when I start with B...A is tagged in...therefore: no hole.

I don't know if Amy has a video for it. But, there are many books written about "color block" work. It isn't to be confused with Fair Isle.

Maybe it is also called Intarsia. I can't remember without looking it up. If you GOOGLE "Intarsia Knitting"...see what the search engine unearths. Also, GOOGLE "Color Block Knitting"...see what that gives.

Glad you like the afghan! I LOVE IT...however, I am "up-to-here" with mattress seaming for the time being! Gurch! :pout:

ArtLady1981
07-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Laila and her sister, Fiona, stayed overnight with us last night! So, she got to take her blankie home with her! My DD just loved the crocheted edge! I think it added a nice touch. It was an afterthought!

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR COMPLIMENTS! I LOVE :heart: SHARING WITH Y'ALL HERE AT KH! :heart: Everyone at KH is sooo supportive and heartwarming! The nicest bunch I have ever had the pleasure of meeting, online or not! :muah:

panchita
07-13-2007, 01:13 PM
I adore the colors you've chosen!! Are any of the blocks reversible? I've never made an afghan, so I'm not sure if that's something one considers when designing and choosing blocks and stitch patterns.

P.S. I love the red crochet edging, too!

ArtLady1981
07-13-2007, 04:45 PM
I adore the colors you've chosen!! Are any of the blocks reversible? I've never made an afghan, so I'm not sure if that's something one considers when designing and choosing blocks and stitch patterns.

P.S. I love the red crochet edging, too!

Hi Panchita! :waving:

Thank you so much! Some of the blocks are reversible by the nature of the patternn...however, they all look ok from the back even if not exactly reversible! And the mattress stitch seaming edges is visible from the back as well. I thought about hand-stitching a satiny backing on it...but just plain ran out of time and energy!

Besides, she has a crosstitched blankie that has the satiny backing. She calls it her "cozy blanket"...and sleeps with it on top of her under the covers in winter!

I think true "double knitting" would be an interesting block theory to use for the squares! Amy has a video clips here at KH with a demo on how to do "double knitting"!

These types of Crazy Quilt afghans are good for using up leftover yarns! It would have been smarter for me to do a square or two as I went along over the years rather than stash the leftovers for this "marathon" de-stashing project!:pout:

phisch
07-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Wow, that's gorgeous. So much work and all of it so pro.

GinnyG
07-15-2007, 06:26 AM
I just bought this book on ebay for $6.50:cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering:

Hi Leslie! :waving:

Here is a photo of the book! It is THE BEST afghan book I ever saw!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_0640.jpg

aprilbetty
07-15-2007, 04:09 PM
The Crazy Quilt is just gorgeous! I can understand how the stitching drove you crazy, but won't the untangling of the yarn in the color block one be maddening, too? Also it won't be a portable project. I think that there are pluses and minuses for each way.

BTW, I have printed out (and also saved to a 'word' file) so many of your hints and suggestions.

LeslieRR
07-15-2007, 06:01 PM
Hi ArtLady...thanks again for the info on the book... I ordered it (and it's sister book - 200 crochet squares) from Amazon and I had it in 2 days! Now I just need to come up with a plan (which could take some time!)

All round though, it is a great book, with lots of info and good suggestions!