PDA

View Full Version : ALERT: VIRUS via e-greetings

Silver
07-05-2007, 01:40 PM
There is a virus/malware attempt going around that comes in the form of an electronic greeting or e-card in your email. I have already gotten THREE of these emails in the last week, but have deleted them all.

This a real virus alert, please read about it at Snopes.com (http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp). DO NOT click on any link in an e-greeting card unless you KNOW the sender and it is a real e-card.

ETA: This is an active virus. A KH member has recently become victim to this virus. Please everyone, be careful!!

Kaydee
07-05-2007, 01:43 PM
I heard about this. Thanks for the info.

nadja la claire
07-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the heads-up Silver.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja :knitting:

chrislt8
07-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Yeah - I've received about 7 so far...disguised as if from all the different e-card companies. The first one I got "felt funny" so I went directly to the web site (NOT through the link) to mannually put in the e-card # - there was a notice on the site about the virus attempts saying the links in the e-mail directs you to a site that can lift the info off of your system YIKES! Be careful everyone!!

Limey
07-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Hi Silver

Many thanks ... I used American Greetings two days ago to send 4th July cards to friends. This virus is tagging on after you've used a genuine web greeting card company, claiming that a schoolfriend or a relative had sent me greeting cards.

Silver
07-05-2007, 04:43 PM
You're welcome everyone. Stay safe!
Evil virus-makers suck. C'mon Karma!

KellyK
07-05-2007, 07:45 PM
I have received SEVERAL of these emails in the last week.... stoopid virus senders! Its funny, though... these say "a neighbor" or "a friend" or "a family member" has sent you a greeting... any REAL company will list the actual sender's NAME in the subject line.

LindaB2603
07-05-2007, 08:15 PM
I've received on the average a dozen a day! It is getting so OLD! Thanks for the warning though! I just heard from a friend who said there is another phone scam going around. Caller says they are from phone company and need to check the phone line and need for you to press 9 0 #. This allows caller to use phone line for long distance calls. Probably coming from prison. Be careful!!

leedsfan
07-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Thank you,i will look out for them my sister sends me a lot of them.I will check them first now just in case.

knitasha
07-06-2007, 02:17 PM
DO NOT click on any link in an e-greeting card unless you KNOW the sender and it is a real e-card.

Good advice, Silver.
Take it a step further:
NEVER CLICK ON A LINK IN ANY EMAIL UNLESS YOU KNOW THE SENDER.
And further:
I don't even click on the links from people I know if they have been forwarded from strangers. (Memo to my beloved sister: I hate to tell you this, sweetie, but I haven't been reading/viewing/listening to all those jokes and videos you keep sending because I don't know where they originally came from.)

Andrea
07-06-2007, 02:31 PM
I just heard from a friend who said there is another phone scam going around. Caller says they are from phone company and need to check the phone line and need for you to press 9 0 #. This allows caller to use phone line for long distance calls. Probably coming from prison. Be careful!!

This is true! In my area, they are coming from Cook Co jail...The prisoner claims to be a 911 dispatcher telling the caller that their number was found in a cell phone of a car accident victim and to get further info, they have to dial a number starting with *73 or something. DON'T DO IT or else all their long distances charges will be sent to you! :pout:

Limey
07-06-2007, 04:29 PM
The greetings card bods tried another one today - said I had a card sent to me from a mate. Cheeky beggars - it's bad enough them trying to offload a virus without taking the p*** as well! :rollseyes:

Rorshach
07-09-2007, 03:40 AM
Well being technically savvy, I can say I've never gotten a virus on my machine. Although if I did, I know pretty much how to get rid of one without too much trouble. The advice Silver has given is pretty sound, and I practice it religiously.

AnaK
07-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Good advice, Silver.
Take it a step further:
NEVER CLICK ON A LINK IN ANY EMAIL UNLESS YOU KNOW THE SENDER.
And further:
I don't even click on the links from people I know if they have been forwarded from strangers. (Memo to my beloved sister: I hate to tell you this, sweetie, but I haven't been reading/viewing/listening to all those jokes and videos you keep sending because I don't know where they originally came from.)

I have to admit that I do the same thing.:lol:

Silver
07-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Bumping this thread to keep everyone in the loop. Recently, a KH member fell victim to this virus. Please everyone, be wary of e-cards from strangers!!!

Limey
07-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Thanks very much for re-posting this Silver. :star::star::star::star::star:

All the Best