PDA

View Full Version : felted hand bag

antonia
07-05-2007, 11:23 PM
I just knitted a small hand bag and felted it. The pattern then call to make a three inch cut centered on the hand bag front and back for a handle. Will this really work? Any suggestions how I would reinforce the handle opening/ I worry it will tear.:cry:

momwolf
07-06-2007, 07:20 AM
It really works.I have done it many times and use my bags all the time and have NEVER had one tear.

auburnchick
07-06-2007, 08:15 AM
Have confidence in your bag! The yarn really tightens up after you felt it, making it very strong. I made a booga bag several months ago, and I STUFF it. I have had no problems with tearing.

Newfygirl
07-06-2007, 09:30 AM
I made a bag with a front flap button closure and I cut about a 3" slit for the large button and it has been fine - no tearing. I have to say that I was also a little worried as I had never cut into a felted piece before. Be brave - it will work out fine.

antonia
07-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Any secrets to cutting a slit in a felted bag?

thanks for your reply

Newfygirl
07-07-2007, 11:35 AM
After I measured where I wanted the slit to be, laid the flap of the purse on a cutting board and just used a sharp knife. Putting the button through the slit a few times opened it up just enough.

Good luck.

redwitch
07-08-2007, 02:04 AM
As long as it has been thoroughly/completely felted rather than partially you should be fine.