PDA

View Full Version : My Boyfriend Knits and Has a Knitting Blog

BostonBecca
07-06-2007, 07:01 PM
http://manneedles.blogspot.com/

He just started it, but I'd love for him to get some positive feedback or suggestions or comments. Check it out if you have the time!

Thanks in advance!

letah75
07-06-2007, 07:05 PM
I'll definately check it out.

Krystal
07-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Well it sounds like you have one great guy there. Reading his post, He totally painted a picture of himself and it was great. Can't wait to see more.

auburnchick
07-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Not bad at all! I would love to see a picture of his WIP.

BostonBecca
07-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Thanks so much everyone! The pictures are coming soon, I promise, if I have to tie him to his computer chair and press the buttons with his hands myself (well, not really).

We took them and he has them, he just needs to post them.

Krystal, that was so nice of you to say! I can't wait to show him this thread.

JoeE
07-06-2007, 07:40 PM
I hope he sticks with it (both the blogging and the knitting). I added his blog to my Google Reader, so I won't miss it when he posts.

HamaLee
07-06-2007, 08:36 PM
I commented similarly on his blog but, I hope you are both aware that he is now morally obligated to get a KH handle and start posting here :rofling:

Eloewien
07-06-2007, 08:56 PM
I added a link on my website :)

SabrinaJL
07-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Lucky you! I wish I could get DH interested in knitting. He could use a relaxing hobby. He mostly plays video games which ends up in thrown controllers. Doesn't seem relaxing at all.

gamerchik
07-06-2007, 10:11 PM
I left a comment for him. Definitely get him to post some pics of the project!!!

I just taught my hubby to knit. :)

winterblues
07-06-2007, 10:55 PM
I'm going to check it out... :thumbsup:

BostonBecca
07-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Thank you to everyone in general for the amount of support you have shown him. He just read this thread and was very grateful for all the support shown. He really appreciates all the comments, the interest, and the feedback on his blog so far, as do I.

Gamerchik: It is awesome that you taught your husband to knit. It's nice to be able to share your hobby with your significant other. I know M would enjoy hearing about the projects of other knitters, but male knitters in particular.

SabrinaJL: We play video games too! Though I do find knitting relaxing, video games are as well for me. I have a Wii and we play it often, but knitting can get frustrating sometimes for me too as can the Wii. I am pretty new at knitting and learning and sometimes I have to tell M that I just don't know the answer to his question about knitting.

Eloewien: M and I thank you for adding that link. It's so sweet and he appreciates it a lot!

HamaLee: I am trying to get him to do so. He's pretty focused on studying for the bar right now as well, so I will definatley get him a handle after the bar. Never mind, he's signing up now.

JoeE, thanks for adding him, do you have a blog or anything I could have him check out? He is very interested in hearing from other male knitters to see what they knit, as well as getting inspiration from female knitters.

jumboneedle
07-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Hi everyone! Quick thank you to everyone who's visited my blog and/or posted links to it. I've wanted to create one for a while but only just got around to actually getting my thoughts together. I just posted my WIP, or thing that I'm currently knitting, for the uninitiated, on the blog and invite you all to check it out. I've discovered the joy/discomfort that is knitting a wool blanket on your lap in 80 degree weather and couldn't be happier about it. On that note, it's now 11:08 p.m., and I'm tired and slightly tipsy. So, good night!

winterblues
07-06-2007, 11:11 PM
I just tried leaving a message on his blog but wasn't successful.
It said "Your request could not be processed. Please try again."
So I tried again, but said the same thing. :-(

scubasinger
07-06-2007, 11:36 PM
As a guy who knits, I'm always happy to see more 'boys' around here.

Has he checked out menwhoknit.com ?? It's kind of enjoyable...

kenny
07-06-2007, 11:45 PM
It's great having another guy around here. I look forward to seeing what you're working on.

redheadrachel
07-06-2007, 11:46 PM
That's such a cool blog! He has a really fun writing style, and I'm excited to read more of what he has to say. And great job on the knitting evangelism - we're starting to take over :D

BostonBecca
07-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Thanks for checking it out everyone and for the feedback. I never thought that I would get him posting on here, but he registered once he heard people wanted him to and after I pulled this thread up for him.

Myknitting
07-08-2007, 04:57 PM
I know of a few guys who knit as well. They do good work. One of whom I know knits for his family members - how cool can that be. Just awesome to know that there is no boundary in knitting.

gamerchik
07-08-2007, 05:28 PM
My DH is deciding what his first project will be (I've just taught him the basics). He wants to do something Harry Potter, I think. Hopefully, I can get him posting on here too! We've got a little army of men on here now, and it's awesome!!! :cheering::cheering::cheering:

bajanKnit
07-10-2007, 02:54 PM
I just checked out his blog it's shaping up nicely, it,s always great to see guys doing things that ordinarily they wouldn't do hope to see you FO's soon.. I too am in the process of teaching my DH the wonderful art of Knitting. It seems I am always knitting something for him and I seldom knit for me so I said never thinking he would take me seriously why don't you learn to knit and he said teach me I didn't wait for him to change his mind, I started his 1st knitting lesson..... will show pics of his 1st project asap...:knitting:

redheadrachel
07-10-2007, 04:29 PM
"I want a sweater I'm going to feel good about wearing, not because I knit it, but because it's a nice sweater. I want something that doesn't make me feel like I should be setting dinner at the Huxtable residence."

I SO agree!! :D Great blog!

wends
07-10-2007, 05:14 PM
I loooove knitting blogs and this one is definitely being bookmarked.

KT120
07-11-2007, 12:31 PM
I have to agree that blog is great. I love to know that men knit. BTW, I live right next to Tufts so I love the colors!
Can't wait until my boyfriend learns as well.

Kaydee
07-11-2007, 12:39 PM
I love reading people's blogs. His is great, I'll definitely be back to read more!

gamerchik
07-11-2007, 04:59 PM
I loooove knitting blogs and this one is definitely being bookmarked.

Agreed! :thumbsup:

jumboneedle
07-12-2007, 09:59 AM
glad your husband shares my fashion sense Gamer! you'll get him going soon enough!

gamerchik
07-12-2007, 05:25 PM
glad your husband shares my fashion sense Gamer! you'll get him going soon enough!

Absolutely!!! I'm excited, and he is too. I'm not even confident enough to start making sweaters yet, but he is looking forward (even before his first project) and has his eye on the prize. He's alot like you...he's got his "manly" interests but I'd say that he's still pretty metro. :lol:

We're actually lucky because we share a LOT of hobbies, so we're able to do a lot of really fun stuff together (gaming, playing sports, drawing/painting, playing guitar...and now, knitting). WOOHOO!

I'm glad you and yours can share another hobby too. :happydancing:

Rorshach
07-13-2007, 03:03 AM
Well, JumboNeedle, welcome to the fun, and sometimes frustrating world of knitting. I did read your blog, and oft times felt the same way, particularly in the area of male patterns. As far as I know, though what it pretty much boils down to is, what a guy will wear, and what a guy won't wear. Though to be perfectly honest, the more men knit, I feel the more male directed patterns will start showing up.

Nobones
07-13-2007, 05:43 AM
I really enjoyed reading your blog, and so did my hubby (who does all the cooking in this house). He said maybe he'd give it another go in the winter months, he's too busy now. So thanks for that!

I like the blanket too, keep it coming.

jumboneedle
07-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Glad I could be some sort of inspiration! Be sure to post whatever he starts with!

Eloewien
07-13-2007, 04:36 PM
I definately like what you have to say :) I'm the Laura from Dragonwingarts that keeps leaving comments....

jumboneedle
07-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Nice to "meet" you! Thanks for the comments!

Eloewien
07-13-2007, 06:54 PM
I know what it's like wondering if someone is out there reading :) If you want- you can add a little bit of code from google analytics (http://www.google.com/analytics) you can see what kind of traffic you're really getting....

BostonBecca
07-13-2007, 07:21 PM
I wonder that too. Now I have a boyfriend with a much more popular knitting blog. Hehe. That's ok though, I am just glad he is finding an audience and people are enjoying it. Anything to keep him knitting and blogging! :heart:

Now, this is an interesting question: For those of you who also have knitting blogs, why do you blog?

I blog because I enjoy it and it's a way, kind of like a very public diary, for me to express my thoughts about what I am interested in at the moment. I imagine it is very different for published authors, etc.

I know M blogs because he wants to put a man's point of view out there about knitting that is representative of who he is and because he wants to up the profile of male knitters.

panchita
07-13-2007, 07:25 PM
I taught my DBF to knit. He doesn't cast on, but likes to get attention from me by taking over my knitting mid-row and throwing a few knit stitches in. He started a rectangle (to be seamed at some point into a hat for charity) out of some of my remnant yarn, but it's been buried under "stuff" on the coffee table for awhile now. You've inspired me to dig it up, put it in his hands, and get him going on it again. Thanks!

P.S. I really liked the blog entry about sharing your passions, not just your hobbies... wise!