PDA

View Full Version : I had my first knitting classes!

Silver
07-08-2007, 02:03 PM
I finally got to teach! I taught kids on Friday night, and adults on Saturday afternoon. I had one kid, and 2 adults. :teehee: But I decided that I'm not going to cancel any classes due to small class size. If they want to learn, I want to teach!! All three were sooooo thankful that I didn't cancel too because their previous classes had been canceled (by the previous knitting teacher), so it worked out great.

The kid student (she's 14) had never knit before and I had her knitting in less than an hour!! (Kids learn sooooo fast.) The crazy thing is her mom is a really, really good knitter, but never wanted to teach her daughter!?! :shock: She got as far as casting on and gave up teaching her. I would LOVE it if my daughter wanted to knit!

In the adult class, one lady already had experience, so I taught her the level II stuff, while I taught the other lady level I. I had my level II'er knitting cables in no time, and level I'er knitting and purling within 2 hours.

Success!!! I had so much fun. I LOVE teaching people to knit! :heart:
:woohoo:

Braden
07-08-2007, 02:22 PM
:happydance: :happydance: Congrats! It is so fun teaching people to knit, knowing that they'll teach other people someday, and on and on. Hope you get lots more students to teach!

KnittingNat
07-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Silver, that's great:cheering::cheering::cheering:! Congratulations! I wish i could attend :hug:

chrislt8
07-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Congratulations! Sounds like you had a wonderful time, and I bet your students did too :cheering:

Braden
07-08-2007, 02:30 PM
You probably make learning knitting extremely fun! Congrats again!

redheadrachel
07-08-2007, 05:45 PM
That's so awesome! What a wonderful experience - and it's so good when students have teachers who are so eager to teach! I know you've taught countless people to knit socks already (myself included), and now it's great that you're teaching people in person. I'm sure it'll be very rewarding for all involved! Bravo :D

gamerchik
07-08-2007, 05:51 PM
That is SO AWESOME!!! CONGRATS!!!

I wasn't sure if I could teach my DH, but he picked it up INCREDIBLY fast...I couldn't believe it!!! He looked like an absolute natural. It was exciting that I could teach him, so I totally understand your warm glowy feeling!!! :cheering::happydance::cheering:

stirsmommy
07-08-2007, 05:56 PM
I am so glad you went ahead and held the classes. My daughter took a class this summer at our LYS and she was the only student. She absolutely loved the one on one. We had signed her so she would meet other girls but she was the only one to sign up. Her teacher came to the store an hour early every day for a week just to teach my daughter to knit. I couldn't believe it. My daughter had a little experience thanks to the videos here but I couldn't properly explain anything to her. She now loves knitting and loves the ladies at our LYS.

mks22300
07-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Congratualtions Silver, glad the classes went well! :thumbsup:

angel4ever
07-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Congratulations on teaching your class!

Cristy
07-08-2007, 06:26 PM
That's awesome! I really want to do some kids knitting classes but haven't found the right place yet...it sounds like you guys had a blast!

auburnchick
07-08-2007, 07:06 PM
:cheering:

Teaching is so rewarding, eh?!

ready2knit
07-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Kristin,

So glad you enjoyed your classes. Enthusiastic students are such a joy!

Jana

jeanius80
07-08-2007, 10:27 PM
sounds like you had just as much fun as they did! i am another online student of yours! if i hadn't tried your tutorial i would not have started knitting socks as soon as i have. thank you !

MerigoldinWA
07-09-2007, 12:46 AM
Silver,

I have turned several people on to your sock tutorial. I'll bet you are a great teacher. I'd like to come learn too!!

I also love to teach knitting. I actually love to teach anything. Finding students is the hard part. I have found several people who say they want to learn to knit, but never get started, or people who "think" they want to knit until they learn it is pretty slow and hard at first, and give up. Sigh. I'm glad you have some students and I hope they are the obsessive, not the quiting kind. LOL

Merigold

Dinosaur
07-09-2007, 02:26 AM
Great job! It sounds like it meant a lot to your students that you taught without a large attendance. *high five*

mulene
07-09-2007, 10:14 AM
congrats silver - sounds like you've settled in to (physical) teaching well =D

Your sock tutorials are what got me knitting socks and I thank you so much for it =D

Mariblue
07-09-2007, 10:30 AM
That's exciting! So glad it went well for you. :thumbsup:

VictoiseC
07-09-2007, 12:26 PM
Silver! That's great news. Good for you! It's strange, there's sometimes a nerve thing going on with a parent and child, like my father drove me crazy when he tried to teach me something because he was so critical. So it was better for her with you teaching.

By the way, I am extremely pleased because I met a woman this past weekend who owns a really cool shop and out of the blue! she asked me if I would like to teach knitting in her store this fall. I was so surprised I didn't even respond right, like, jumping up and down which is what I did when I got home. AND she said I could put some of my stuff in her shop on commission.

So I really want to hear about your teaching. Were you nervous? Did you have a plan? Or can it just be really simple.... I guess so. I'm just a little nervous I guess....

1to1
07-09-2007, 02:29 PM
:hug: I think it would be great fun to take a class from you. :hug:

:thumbsup:I hope you realize the impact your sock tutorials have had on people. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Silver!!!

Silver
07-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Thanks everyone!!
I think I'm hooked. I've always wanted to be a teacher, and now I'm teaching one of my very favorite things in the world. I feel so fortunate!! :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

So I really want to hear about your teaching. Were you nervous? Did you have a plan? Or can it just be really simple.... I guess so. I'm just a little nervous I guess....

Yes, I was nervous, but that quickly left as I began. Since I'm teaching for Joann's, they supply a suggested teaching format with all the info I need/should cover along with a time line. I read through it several times trying to prepare myself, but when it came down to it, I forgot everything and just flew by the seat of my pants and it worked out just fine. It was very informal, more like just showing some friends how to knit. We cracked jokes and were laughing almost the whole time.

The only bit of advice I can give you is to remind them that knitting is like riding a bike. They'll be all awkward and uncoordinated in the beginning, but it will start to come more naturally with practice. Tell them about when you started and how many horrific mistakes you made. Tell them how long you've been knitting and how much you have practiced to get as good as you are. It will make them feel relaxed and more accepting of their own mistakes, knowing that it's normal and they're not going to flunk out of knitting school! :) Good luck and do let me know how it goes!!

Jeremy
07-09-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm really happy for you.:heart: Summer's a slow time for knitting period. Not many people are in the mood to take classes. My lys barely has anything scheduled.

VictoiseC
07-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Ohhh thanks much Silver! That's such good advice. I love people and I love teaching so I think everything will work but it's still good to get those pearls of wisdom, esp the riding the bike example. :muah: Keep us posted!