PDA

View Full Version : Stashbuster sampler afghan...

cam90066
07-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks to those who gave feedback in the Crochet Forum.

Wanted to divest myself of various accumulated acrylics in my stash so grabbed my stitch dictionaries and my fave sz 7 10" sticks. Adjusted gauge for stitch pattern and yarn weight. I am pleased with the uniformity of the sqs as I've mentioned to some I did a baby blanket early last year and, not thinking, did alphabet sqs in diff colors of same brand of yarn only to realize...after the fact...that the gauge varied widely. :(

On floor:
http://www.angelsacolyte.com/cam/afghan_final_floor_web.jpg

Closer shot with more detail:
http://www.angelsacolyte.com/cam/afghan_final_outside_web.jpg

Edge:
http://www.angelsacolyte.com/cam/afghan_edge_b_web.jpg

cam

misstialouise
07-09-2007, 07:24 PM
PRETTY!!!

Tobinknit
07-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Beautiful afghan. Love all of the different colors and stitch patterns. Very well done! Congratulations!

Doodknitwit
07-09-2007, 07:43 PM
a beauty!!:yay:

Mariblue
07-09-2007, 08:33 PM
:cheering:That's beautiful! :cheering:

Slim
07-09-2007, 09:02 PM
I love it! What a great idea.

AussieYank
07-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Gorgeous! "Good on ya!" (as we say here)

auburnchick
07-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Oh gosh...that is just gorgeous!!!!! I could see myself snuggling up under that!!! :passedout:

cam90066
07-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Tobinknit, it made for easy work seeing as I'm usually doing sweaters. Doing a stitch pattern over such a small area was quick and fun.

cam

cam90066
07-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Slim, I've recently started recycling thrift store sweaters, all cotton (no more acrylic!), and was needing to find a way to make room for the new stuff. Fig'd an afghan would help in that regard. :)

cam

cam90066
07-09-2007, 10:43 PM
AussieYank, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I like the brightness of the color combo as I normally work in very muted tones for myself. Lots of projects for others represented in the afghan.

cam

cam90066
07-09-2007, 10:48 PM
auburnchick, thanks! I originally set out to make it larger but started running out of colors (I wanted each equally represented). Not sure who'll end up with it but am thinking I may send it to my folks, who can always use something like this, plus when my little nephew visits (he's one-and-a-half) it would be handy for his naps.

cam

debinoz
07-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Great job. It looks fantastic!! I've always loved the stained glass look.

cam90066
07-09-2007, 11:29 PM
debinoz, thanks for reminding of the term 'stained glass.' Didn't set out for that look but does have that effect. :)

cam

ArtLady1981
07-10-2007, 03:12 AM
Handsome! A truly handsome afghan! Very sophisticated looking!
Kudos to you! Thanks for sharing the excellent photography with us!

:muah:

wewantmore
07-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Oh wow, that is very nice. :inlove:

Mulderknitter
07-10-2007, 12:47 PM
That is exactly what I have been wanting to do with my leftovers! :muah:I highly doubt mine would turn out as nice though. I do tend to have a problem with gauge, as in I never get it:pout:

cam90066
07-10-2007, 02:07 PM
Artlady, thanks! How are you doing on your squares? Looking forward to seeing them all put together. :)

cam

cam90066
07-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Thanks, Mulderknitter! I so rarely work with the ndls/yarn recommended for a project, or when designing my own, that it's gotten easier to adjust gauge. But there were some sqs that took several starts to achieve the width I wanted. The upside to doing sqs is you're only ripping out a handful of sts. :) They work up so quickly it felt almost mindless at times.

cam
Who lived in Mpls area for many decades! I hear your temps have finally cooled off.

Mulderknitter
07-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Cam-
yes, the temps have finally cooled to the 80's, but today we have wind advisories for over 40mph winds! We did finally get some rain the other day, all of our lawns look like wheat fields!:shock:

ArtLady1981
07-10-2007, 04:26 PM
:pout:Artlady, thanks! How are you doing on your squares? Looking forward to seeing them all put together. :)

cam

I finished it! It is posted HERE (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=61565) at KH under Whatcha Knitting. Thanks for asking! :happydance: It looks kinda wonky in the photos because I had it stretched out on the carpet...it was 4th of July, the grandchildren were crawling all over it...it was hot...and I just wanted to get the photos done. Little Laila was waiting to get her hands on it and take it home! I got some cute photos of her posing on it...but her Momma (my DD) would kill me :shrug: if I posted Laila's photo on the internet. I was tempted... :pout:...but came to my senses!

cam90066
07-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Mulderknitter, ah yes, those notorious winds! There were times when I worked dwtn Mpls and the wind tunnel effect made walking downright difficult. (And they claim Chicago's the windy city!) Batten down the hatches!

cam

cam90066
07-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Artlady....oops, sorry I missed your post....but all I can say is WOW!!!! How fun!!! Fabulous colors and stitch patterns. When I saw the ind sqs I wasn't sure how to picture them being joined w/o 'frames' but this is amazing! My sis does very detailed quilts and this reminds me of her work. (BTW, I can appreciate your daughter not wanting Laila's image on the web but I'm sure she's one very thrilled little girl.)

As usual, another terrific FO. I still have some misc acrylics so might just have to consider a laprobe along the lines of your crazy quilt! :)

cam

VictoiseC
07-11-2007, 05:32 PM
That's just great looking! I'm going to have to get around to using some of my stash and this is an excellent idea!

cam90066
07-11-2007, 06:47 PM
VictoiseC, thanks! The squares are quick work and fun to do if you need a small project you can take with (in car, on bus, etc). With so many stitch pattern...and yarn!.... options it makes for nearly endless possibilities.

cam

Teeka
07-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Wow! I love it! I wanted to make something like this for my son...mine was a small disaster, but he still likes it. One day I'd like to try it again and hae it turn out like yours! Three cheers!

newamy
07-12-2007, 03:58 PM
That looks great.

cam90066
07-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Thanks, Teeka! I'm sure your next effort will turn out fabulous. As I mentioned, I did a baby blanket with alphabet sqs about a year and half ago and it was nothing like I envisioned at the end due to gauge issues. Working on so many sweaters in the interim constantly reminded me how relevant that part of the process is.

Hope you'll post pics of your next afghan.

cam

Jaxhil
07-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Oh, I love it!! All those brightly colored squares-you did a great job, and its so cheery, too! :cheering:

cam90066
07-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks, Jaxhil! I orig planned to donate the piece to a local nursing home OR forward it to my folks back in the Midwest. But the longer it's in sight in my LR the more I'm not wanting to part with it. (I already have several afghans so not something I need.) Whereas I normally work with more subtle, muted tones there IS something very cheery and fun about this.

cam

panchita
07-13-2007, 01:17 PM
You did a really beautiful job! When I first started knitting a couple years ago, I was all about the big needles and fancy, fluffy yarn: quick results and excellent mis-knit camouflage. After about 50 (I kid you not) scarves, I'm finding that I really enjoy letting the knitting be the star and the yarn the supporting cast. Your afghan has definitely got star power!

usamacka
07-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Your afghan is absolutely gorgeous! What a great way to try different stitches too! You are very creative!

cam90066
07-13-2007, 04:51 PM
panchita....wow, such high praise! Thanks! Fifty scarves??? Did you ever join them to create an afghan? I agree, at some point one's attention and priority shifts when being creative. There can be some fab looking pieces from not-so-fab yarns and vice versa. Of course, as I discovered with a thrice-frogged cardi last fall, matching up yarn and pattern is something to strive for.

cam

cam90066
07-13-2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks, usamacka. Something like a sampler afghan would've been a really smart way to learn knitting....which I did several decades back (I recall one of my first projects being a navy, acrylic sweater coat which actually turned altho no idea why LOL). Gauge, stitch patterns, selvage sts, joins, seaming, etc...they would've saved me some of the many disasters along the way. The afghan was more fun than I thought it'd be.

cam