PDA

View Full Version : Cool!:Reusable Knitted Swiffer Cover

Arielluria
07-10-2007, 03:59 PM
Reusable Knitted Swiffer Cover (http://www.sheepofadifferentcolor.com/swiffercoverknitted.htm)
There's a crochet version too.

http://www.sheepofadifferentcolor.com/swiffercoverknitted.jpg

I first heard about this on this blog (http://smariek.blogspot.com/2007/06/my-first-swiffer-mop-cover.html). There's a pic of her finished one (better looking than the one above from the pattern link).

LibraryLady
07-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Another for the list of to-do items! Great idea - and so much better than buying and throwing away all that stuff!

:cheering:

LL

debinoz
07-10-2007, 05:55 PM
I need one of those sooo bad! I get tired of buying those things all the time.

Arielluria
07-10-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm so cheap I hate to buy those things myself. Been thinking of something to substitute, it IS a great idea!!!!!!

I'm printing out the crochet version (http://www.sheepofadifferentcolor.com/swiffercover.htm) for my mom. She's gonna love it too...........where do you think I got my thrifty spirit from?!?
:flirt:

SusanMarie1956
07-10-2007, 06:25 PM
Hey! That looks easy!

I might try it. :-)

Susan

Arielluria
07-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Y'all are ALL very welcome!

P.S., your Maltese is kissable!!!!!!!!!!!
I posted mine today on this KH post (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?p=901440#post901461).

Ginnyb
07-10-2007, 07:40 PM
Hmmmm..wonder if it would pick up cat hair as well as the swiffer does....very neat!
Ginny

Arielluria
07-10-2007, 07:49 PM
So would this be good with plain ol' Peaches 'n Cream cotton from Walmart? Will it shrink the first time we wash it?????? I'd like mine in white so I can throw in the machine with bleach and make ABSOLUTELY sure it's clean! Can Peaches 'n Cream be bleached? I've never used it but have some here to try my first dishcloth.

panchita
07-10-2007, 07:52 PM
I'm making some of these!!! Now!.. right after I finish a potholder for my DSIL's birthday.

So cool.

.... later on...
So I started it, but after looking at a couple pictures of finished ones, I'm thinking I may try it wrapping it around wide end to wide end instead of narrow end to narrow end. It seems like the wide part is the part that always gets all the dirt off my floors and that's the part that should be covered. I'll let you know how it goes.

debinoz
07-10-2007, 10:55 PM
It said on the pattern page that they shrank a little, but she just stretched them back out. You can bleach peaches and cream. If you use color. the color will fade some, but my discloths are still intact from many bleachings.

Stiney
07-11-2007, 09:19 AM
:cheering:

I used 3 pads last night, so this is great!

cindycactus
07-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Thank You Arielluria. I really love this idea. Much better than the ones you have to buy.

Jan in CA
07-11-2007, 12:12 PM
The dishcloth cottons will fade when bleached, but the white would be good.

I was thinking microfiber might be good..it's soft and isn't microfiber good for picking up dust? Seems like they have microfiber cloths and such..maybe they are treated though? :think:

Waenara
07-11-2007, 12:24 PM
I was thinking microfiber might be good..it's soft and isn't microfiber good for picking up dust? Seems like they have microfiber cloths and such..maybe they are treated though? :think: :thumbsup: That sounds like a great idea! I have some microfiber towel that I use in the kitchen, and they're great at picking up dust.

I'm definitely going to snag some microfiber yarn soon - I definitely use a lot of Swiffer cloths around my place.

Jenelle
07-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Ohh what a great idea! :cheering:

I wonder if you knit it in garter stitch longways if the ridges would help pick up stuff. :thinking:

nik
07-11-2007, 12:56 PM
:thumbsup: That sounds like a great idea! I have some microfiber towel that I use in the kitchen, and they're great at picking up dust.

I'm definitely going to snag some microfiber yarn soon - I definitely use a lot of Swiffer cloths around my place.

That's a great idea!!!

Kaydee
07-11-2007, 01:42 PM
That's a great idea, those things get so expensive!

debinoz
07-11-2007, 02:55 PM
I'm wondering how they'll hold up if you use them wet. Cotton stretches pretty good when wet and I scrub pretty hard. The middle area seems to just hang there, I wonder if you could make straps or something for stability....

nik
07-11-2007, 04:01 PM
I'm wondering how they'll hold up if you use them wet. Cotton stretches pretty good when wet and I scrub pretty hard. The middle area seems to just hang there, I wonder if you could make straps or something for stability....

Ditto. I found this, so here's not what to do
http://moosieknits.blogspot.com/2007/06/well-i-cant-use-swiffer-wet.html

It's really cute though. I love the colors on that one!

Stiney
07-11-2007, 04:04 PM
:thinking: Hmmm...the Swiffer in the original pattern doesn't look like a WetJet, which is what I have. I wonder if you knit it small, wet it so it stretches, put it on, and leave it there, if that would work?

Arielluria
07-11-2007, 04:06 PM
The dishcloth cottons will fade when bleached, but the white would be good.

I was thinking microfiber might be good..it's soft and isn't microfiber good for picking up dust? Seems like they have microfiber cloths and such..maybe they are treated though? :think:That is an AWESOME idea! I didn't know there were microfiber yarns!!!!!!!!! Are there any at Hobby Lobby????

Arielluria
07-11-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm wondering how they'll hold up if you use them wet. Cotton stretches pretty good when wet and I scrub pretty hard. The middle area seems to just hang there, I wonder if you could make straps or something for stability....How about making strips out of those meshy bags that oranges come in (they are like plastic scrubbies we use at the sink on dishes) and weaving it in to part of it to give you that scrub power?
xxx

Stiney
07-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Here (http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf374879.tip.html) are a whole bunch of ideas for DIY-Swiffering, including people who use their own cleaning solutions instead of the Swiffer ones, and a bunch of alternatives for buying Swiffer pads.

Arielluria
07-11-2007, 04:32 PM
I've used just plain ol' washcloths like they say on that page. Just push the cloth instead of Swiffer pads into the little fasteners on the top of the mop. Worked like a charm............but of course we're knitters............so we must knit our own eh?!? ;)

Stiney
07-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Well, I'm not really a "wash cloth person", so I don't have any old ones lying around. I'd have to knit my own anyway. :teehee:

I liked the idea of making my own cleaner, which I'm sure is much greener than using the Swiffer packs. (Less plastic, less harmful chemicals, etc.)

marykz
07-11-2007, 04:43 PM
with dogs, a cat, a kid and a DH, I'd rather throw the dirt (and the paper) away than wash it in my washing machine.... (shudder) I use plain old paper towels in the swiffer, and I don't use it for really scrubbing (just a quick dusting or pick up). the old fashioned mop and bucket still does the best job.

Jan in CA
07-11-2007, 06:38 PM
That is an AWESOME idea! I didn't know there were microfiber yarns!!!!!!!!! Are there any at Hobby Lobby????

Lion Brand Microspun (http://cache.lionbrand.com//yarns/microspu.htm) is the one I was thinking of, but there may be more. It comes in luscious colors! :inlove:

Lighting57
07-11-2007, 11:27 PM
Just looking at the picture, I didn't go to the website. But, I was thinking that if the area which touches the floor was knitted in that loopy knit pattern, it would pick up even more and maybe better.
I might make one of these for myself.
Sandra

Ronda
07-12-2007, 07:44 AM
Cool idea!

brownishcoat
07-12-2007, 02:24 PM
This is the perfect companion for the Swiffer knockoff I picked up at the 99 Only store. :teehee:

Arielluria
07-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Just looking at the picture, I didn't go to the website. But, I was thinking that if the area which touches the floor was knitted in that loopy knit pattern, it would pick up even more and maybe better.I agree.

feministmama
07-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Here (http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf374879.tip.html) are a whole bunch of ideas for DIY-Swiffering, including people who use their own cleaning solutions instead of the Swiffer ones, and a bunch of alternatives for buying Swiffer pads.

Such great ideas! Most of them like to use Mr Clean. anyone have a greener alternative? I am SOOOOoooo making these swiffer thigns.

betty bat
07-13-2007, 11:36 PM
There was a discussion about the Swiffer covers on the Craftster website: www.craftster.org

There are several knitting threads there. If you haven't looked at the site before, you might want to check it out. Some of the stuff is pretty funny, many of the patterns (both knitting and non-knitting) are stunning, and the site has a different attitude.

One of my favorite threads there is Stitch and BOTCH. It talks about craft-related accidents and other mishaps. You can't go wrong with topics like "I killed my sewing machine".

Happy reading!

panchita
07-15-2007, 11:37 PM
So I made one with Rowan "Calmer" (which is 75% cotton and 25% acrylic microfiber) on size US7 needles. I cast on 63 stitches and knit in seed stitch until it was about twice as wide as my Swiffer. Then I folded it and whip-stitched the edges using the tails. It works!! I think the microfiber will help pick-up more stuff. We'll see. I'm going to make at least one more out of the same ball of yarn, but I think I'll do garter stitch as an experiment to test out what Jenelle asked about it picking up more stuff... plus, it's way faster than seed stitch!

Here it is:

Arielluria
08-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Has anyone else made this? Pics would be nice.......

feministmama
08-02-2007, 12:14 AM
I made an orange one. I don't know why. Can't find the original photo so here's a link to my blog that has the photo on it. just scroll down a little till you see the orange mass:teehee:

http://mamaknitty.blogspot.com/

Arielluria
08-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Cool! And I love the turtle washcloth, have been dying to make one myself!

newamy
08-02-2007, 04:02 PM
I haven't knitted one of those but I have seen similar. Anyway I just tuck old dish cloths into the swiffer slots and mop my laminate floor with it. I use a spray bottle of water and vingar, spray and mop. Change the rag as needed. It is so cheap and reusable. I like the light weight swiffer but don't like to buy disposable products. So I nver buy the replacement sheets. A set of new knitted custom fit covers would be a luxury!

MrsAbi
08-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Oh wow, I'm going to have to make some of these. We just moved into our new apartment a month ago and I found a swiffer starter kit coupon last weekend.

Arielluria
08-02-2007, 06:25 PM
I haven't knitted one of those but I have seen similar. Anyway I just tuck old dish cloths into the swiffer slots and mop my laminate floor with it. I use a spray bottle of water and vingar, spray and mop. Change the rag as needed. It is so cheap and reusable. I like the light weight swiffer but don't like to buy disposable products. So I nver buy the replacement sheets. A set of new knitted custom fit covers would be a luxury!I've done that before, I can't wait to have time to knit my own though ;)

GennyLynn1962
08-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Thanks!

What a GREAT idea! I had gotten so tired of buying the cloths that I quit using my swiffer. :oops:

I'm going to knit up a couple so I can have one to use when I clean the other one.

:psst: I really need to get out of the blog threads more often. :teehee:

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
08-04-2007, 12:12 PM
excellent!

My MIL was just complaining about the cost of the replacement pads, my swiffer wet jet has been stuck in the basement no longer in use because of the cost (i have 7 and 9 year olds who constantly try to do things themselves... thus making a big mess!)

Arielluria
09-10-2007, 11:59 AM
I have YET to make my first one of these. How do you guys like using yours...those who've made it?

I made my first 100% cotton dishcloth and LOOOOOOOOVE it. I'm sure this would be great for floors!

Sajomaro
09-10-2007, 11:23 PM
Such great ideas! Most of them like to use Mr Clean. anyone have a greener alternative? I am SOOOOoooo making these swiffer thigns.

I just discovered a greener cleaner. It's called TKO Orange (http://www.tkoorange.com/). It's made from the peel of an orange. You can order it through the website but you might also be able to find it at your local grocery store. It's a bit more expensive but a little bit goes a long way.

I don't own a Swiffer because I couldn't justify buying the disposable clothes. Now I don't have to worry about that.

Arielluria
06-05-2008, 11:29 AM
I never have gotten around to making this. For those who have, how do you like it?

Arielluria
05-02-2009, 09:40 AM
May's KA has to do with spring cleaning and the swiffer covers are specifically mentioned. Good, because I have yet to make one, so I'm bumping this thread ;)

Jenelle
05-02-2009, 10:22 AM
I was actually looking at a couple of patterns located on Rav the other day. I particularly liked this one here (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/reversible-swiffer-sock-2). It might be crochet, but I do believe that it would pick up the dust and any hair.

However, this makes me sad that we threw our swiffer out a few months ago. I almost want to get a replacement now just for these covers. :teehee:

knittingymnast
05-02-2009, 12:15 PM
That's pretty cool. Good way to recycle stuff. :)

albertpollard
05-03-2009, 03:20 PM
The link is broken!

Jan in CA
05-03-2009, 03:31 PM
The link is broken!

If you're referring to Jenelle's post she linked to Ravelry. I know not everyone has Rav so here's the outside link.
http://www.craftstylish.com/item/44816/how-to-make-a-reversible-swiffer-sock

Arielluria
05-05-2009, 01:13 PM
For anyone who has made this.........if you're making it out of cotton, won't it shrink too much to put back on the Swiffer later? Don't tell me I gotta make a gauge swatch! :thud:

yiayiabryant
05-13-2009, 10:24 PM
Try this link,
http://tipnut.com/make-your-own-swiffer-cloths/

There are several different patterns. I haven't made one yet but that is next on my list.