PDA

View Full Version : SPOILERS Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix movie

PCwombat
07-11-2007, 03:07 AM
I just got home from the midnight showing of the film! Because I'm rather tired at the moment, I'm just going to be short about my thoughts.

First, I really think that it's necessary to read the books in order to fully appreciate the movie. There are so many scenes, like the Occlumency scenes and Snape's Worst Memory, that are just so short with so little exposition.

LOL at gangsta!Dudley.

Where's Mrs. Black's portrait????

Luna was perfect. Sooo cute. And, the Luna/Harry moments really amused me. The Harry/Hermione people are going to be sooo upset though. Finally they're putting in the Hermione/Ron and even Harry/Ginny subtext.

When Sirius punched Lucius everyone in the theater clapped. It was great.

I love Neville. And the twins. And Grawp.

misstialouise
07-11-2007, 03:53 AM
Yes, the movie means so much more when you've read the books. I even think the big battle scene was a bit glazed over. But IMO it's the best translation YET!

And what's with making Cho the fink? THAT I think was taking poetic licence a bit far.

Kaydee
07-11-2007, 09:38 AM
I'm going to see the movie tonight in 3-D, I can't wait!

pandaca
07-11-2007, 10:40 AM
I got to see a sneak preview on Monday, and I have to say I was a bit disappointed with how much they cut out. I was sad that they cut out the scene where all the kids see Neville's parents at the hospital. I thought that was important to building up Neville's character for later books (and movies).

But the acting is just getting better, and I thought Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix LeStrange) was fabulous!

PCwombat
07-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Well, in regards to Cho, they did say that Umbridge used Veritaserum on her. So, it's not really her fault.

Kaydee, that's sooo cool! I really want to see it in IMAX, but, with my work schedule I'm not sure if it'll work out.

Yeah, it would have been good if they had the Neville hospital scene with the gum wrappers. But, the scene where Neville says that he's proud to be their son was really cute.

Was anyone else sort of weirded out by the Harry/Cho kiss? Cause, Harry was rather going at it for a first kiss.

Belphoebe
07-11-2007, 06:28 PM
I'm still raving about the movie! It was SO cool!!! (My man says much to his annoyance I'm still raving about it....He's such a party pooper!)

psammeadred
07-11-2007, 08:56 PM
This movie will probably grow on me. The backstory in the book was what really "made" the book for me, and there wasn't much of it in the movie.

LOVED Sirius punching Lucius Malfoy! "Get your hands off my godson!" Go Padfoot!

One thing that surprised me, though, was how Sirius died. In the book, it just says that Bellatrix *BOO HISS* hit him with a spell that came out as a jet of red light, and he fell through the veil. In the movie, she AK's him, he looks around sort of surprised-like, and then he slowly falls back through the veil, unlike Cedric in GOF who got blasted and died instantly. I have to admit, I was holding out for good old Padfoot coming back in Deathly Hallows.

Knitlee
07-11-2007, 09:03 PM
Judging it on movie merits alone, I thought is was good. However, as a big Potter book fan, there were many things that irked me.

1. So much was explained in the book but left out of the movie: the reason Harry got his scar, why he must stay with the Dursleys every summer, the explanation of the full prophecy ("...marked as his equal..."), how Harry was able to survive Voldemort's attack, why Voldemort attacked Harry in the first place.

2. The movie altered a few plot points or left others out completely: Ron's Quidditch victory and S.P.E.W (left out completely), Kretcher's role, how Umbridge found out about the DA, Trelawny's role in the prophecy, the centaurs.

3. The movie never mentions Umbridge's role in sending the Dementors to Little Whinging.

4. The scene in which Harry sees his father pick on Snape was never developed. This really affected Harry's feelings about his father and Snape.

5. In the book, Dumbledore defended Harry by putting a spin on everything Fudge said. He made Fudge look like an idiot. In the movie he begs Fudge to believe that Voldemort is back and give a brief statement about Harry using magic in self-defense. I don't think this speech was convincing at all in the movie.

7. I didn't realize it until later, but Percy Weasley did make an appearance, but unless you now the story from the book and have seen the second movie, you would now he was there. The movie never mentions his estranged relationship with his parents.

6. Lastly, why did members of the Order refer to Voldemort as the Dark Lord. Harry makes a point of saying only Death Eaters refer to Voldemort as the Dark Lord. (This is one of the arguments in favor of Snape still being loyal to Voldemort; he still refer to Voldemort as the Dark Lord). Nobody else refers to him by this title.

I did like the casting; Dolores Umbridge, Bellatrix LaStrange, and Luna Lovegood were perfect. And I loved the sets and effects. :thumbsup:

Sorry this is so long, but my husband hasn't read any of the book so he has no idea what I'm talking about. I have no one to vent to here right now:cry: Thanks for listening; I feel better now:muah:

PCwombat
07-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Knitlee, I agree. That's the really bad part about all of the movies. They can never fit in all of the good parts from the books. I was so sad when Snape's Worst Memory was sooo short. That was the scene, out of the five movies so far, that I was looking forward to most.

And, yeah, not sure if he was in it in the beginning, but at the very end at the Ministry, I was all hey! it's Percy! But, yeah, I don't think he had any lines, and I'm surprised I recognized him. Because he really did not look Weasley-ish.

ChroniclesofYarnia
07-12-2007, 09:04 AM
BOO! I saw this last night, and while parts were good, they screwed up two very big things for me.

1. Snape/Harry - You would think the people making the film would have read HBP, right? Snape is pretty darn important there, eh? Wouldn't you think it would be good to exposit on the Snape and Harry scenes? Ugh!

2. The ministry battle. I must be the only one who was so peeved at the end of this I barely paid attention to the rest of the movie. There was NO reason they could not have done this exactly like the book. None at all. I didn't see an any statues preventing Harry from fighting. When Sirius died, I just sat there looking like I smelled poo. You could barely tell what was going on, and several people in the theater laughed when Harry was screaming. That scene would have been much better done without the music.

And don't get me started on the GIT they decided should play Dumbledore. Didn't even read the books, and it shows. Luna and Umbridge and so many others were SO good. Where is Ian McKellan when you need him?

I'm going to see it again tonight with my husband, so maybe it will grow on me...but I say BOO!

misstialouise
07-12-2007, 10:10 AM
I beleive Ian McKellan wouldn't play Dumbledore as he didn't want to be playing one so soon after Gandalf.

I think after having Richard Harris play Dumbledore in the first two movies, Michael Gambet is a more forceful 'D', and it may be harder for us to accept him in the role. HOWEVER, I do think that going into these last movies, MG makes a good Dumbledore. I mean, if you can't have Richard Harris.... right?

Kaydee
07-12-2007, 10:16 AM
I saw the movie last night in IMAX, it was alright but definitely didnít do the book justice. I know they canít incorporate everything from the book since it would make the movie super long but I just thought there was way too much left out that wouldíve helped to develop the story further. Knitlee, I agree with all of your comments, those were many of the things I was going over after the movie a little disappointed. I think the thing that saved it for me was that the last 20 minutes of it was in 3-D which made the fight scene pretty neat. If it hadnít been for that I think I would have been a little more peeved about how it deviated so much from the book. I miss quidditch, the scene at St. Mungoís, Ron and Hermonie as prefects, the scene at the end with Harry and Sir Nicholas just to name a few. I think they could've done a little better.

wewantmore
07-12-2007, 10:56 AM
As a movie I thought it was great.

As far as 'following' the book, well yeah they missed the boat on that one.

But the books are always better than the movies. (not just HP books either)

Michelle

Knitlee
07-12-2007, 12:29 PM
I just remembered something:think:. In the scene when Umbridge catches the kids in her office and Snape come in, Harry tells him "Padfoot (Sirius) is in the place when it's hidden (Ministry of Magic)." Snape then turns and says he has no clue what Harry is talking about. In the book, later on we find out that Snape understood what Harry was saying and alerted the Order. This was never mentioned in the movie, so those who have never read the book are made to think that Snape is a jerk and not even part of the Order.
The more I think about this movie the more upset I get. It completely misdirects the audience's view of Snape. He was trying to help Harry in this book! You'd never know that from the film! Those how make HBP and DH may have to be creative in filling in the blanks and getting the audience back on track.
I know the books are always better than the movie, and I know not everything can be in the HP movies. However, the film-makers have left out vital information. Does Rowling approve these scripts? Why didn't she insist they include the important explanations? Grrr!!!!!:grrr:

brendajos
07-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Well i think that if they had included everything that is being asked about here, the people who went to the midnight showing may still be in the film. I don't think there was much in the film that could have been left out and it was already over 2.25 hours long.

As far as the scene in Umbridge's office, I really do think that most people would have gotten the impression that Snape understood what he was being told and was just playing dumb for Umbridge. I obviously don't know what other people were thinking but it just seemed like the look of understanding was there and Harry didn't try harder to get him to understand, ya know what I mean?

There is a reason I don't reread the books right now (beyond that I just don't have time.) It allows me time to forget the details of the book and just enjoy the movie for what it is.

I thought the movie was great. I didn't agree with one of the reviews that I saw that it was the best yet, but I did think it was in the top 3. I would probably say the top 2 if I didn't still have a special affection for the first movie. :shrug:

PCwombat
07-12-2007, 03:04 PM
There is evidence that Rowling does approve the script. She told the writer that he should include something because otherwise they would paint themselves into a corner when the seventh book came out.

I think it's a minispoiler for book 7. It doesn't give the plot away, but it does tell you something/someone that will have importance.

If you want to know, PM me.

UnspeakableJoy
07-12-2007, 05:22 PM
I watched the midnight movie and went in knowing that there would be parts left out, and therefore wasn't disappointed a bit. Like many have already said, books are ALWAYS better than the movie.

My favorite part was when Umbridge was taken away by the centaurs and she asks Harry to tell them she's a good witch, and he goes "I must not tell lies" :roflhard:

I also liked gangsta Dudley :roflhard: the entire theatre was cracking up ... and I loved the battle at the end! I loved the action shots of Harry and Dudley running in the beginning ... I loved seeing the Dementors without their cloaks (okay they were freaky, but cool nonetheless) ... I thought Voldemort's possession of Harry to be VERY cool ... I also like Dumbledore at the end - seeing a much more compassionate side to him talking to Harry while he's possessed ...

Sure I would have loved seeing Neville's parents in Mungo's, or how Percy turns into a bloody git or how the statues come to life and protect Harry ... if I had my way, the HP movies would be the entire book ... maybe in mini-installment movies ... like each book would be 4 movies. Now THAT would be cool :)

But my two cents, I loved it just as it was, and will definitely see it again soon! I :heart: it!

willowangel
07-12-2007, 06:40 PM
I liked it - just got back. I've always been of the opinion that they'd have to do 'chapter' movies if they wanted to get the intracacies in, so, while the movies are good films in and of themselves, they're never going to live up to the books because that's what Rowling's good at. Her power lies in a very specific way of writing that very, very few authors can do - one where nothing, absolutely nothing, is wasted and everything is tied up at the end. In order to be true to the books, the films would have to be verbatim, and that's impossible unless done as a series. That she decided to write 'kids' books doesn't take away from the fact that her skill at writing is incredible and very, very hard to emulate.

About the Snape scene - it wasn't as powerful as the book, but I think it was powerful in the film in a different way - it cemented the loneliness that Harry felt - that he couldn't even count on his father, on the memory of this great man that everyone keeps talking about - it felt like even he'd abandoned him somehow. I think it made a good precursor to the release of the last book - the one where he really does have to go it alone.

(My big question is 'What does Mrs Dursley have to do with all this? She obviously knows more than has been said - Dumbledore told her she should know better etc, so where does she come in?)

Yarnlady
07-12-2007, 07:51 PM
I just got back from the movie. I echo some of the previous statements. I finished listening to the book for the second time yesterday. In a way it was good cuz I could mentally fill in details. But, I'm not sure if the movie could hold it's own because I could fill in the details. Like when Harry tells Snape about Padfoot.... I knew Snape was a good guy, but there is no way for just movie goers to know that....

The special effects, set designs, costumes, etc., were all really great. I think the most outstanding character development, tho, was the twins. They did a great job of their final moments at Hogworts.

It was good enough I'm going back tomorrow and catch more of the details.

Dudley looked even dumber.
Sirius looked cleaner. :teehee:
Lupin looked tired.
Tonks has hair to dye, er die, for!:lol:
Wanted to see more development of Snapes memories...

Wish someone would make a three or four year long mini-series of the books....

misstialouise
07-12-2007, 08:06 PM
I really think you're underestimating Alan Rickman's performance. Even though I've read the book, my husband hasn't.. and HE got that Snape understood and played dumb for Umbridge.

I have never gone into the movie as a fan of the book (although I am), because after the the second movie I realised that they just *can't* put everything in, especially now as the books are over twice the size of the first 3.

They're tracking the MAIN story. The subplots, I beleive, are for the book readers. Some are relavent but not essential and some are superfluous to the story. I think as far as the MAIN plot goes, they're doing very well. It's just a shame that movies can't be 4 hours long with intermissions anymore :(....

Ronda
07-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Just got back! We really enjoyed it! My kids thought it was terrific, but neither of them reads the books. My 9-year-old DD leaned over and said, "Are they skipping parts?!" I told her, as I have before, that books are always better than movies...but both of my kids look at the THICKNESS of those HP books and turn away.

I'm going to have to go back and re-read the books. I seem to have forgotten quite a bit.

UnspeakableJoy
07-12-2007, 10:17 PM
So ... now that you've watched the movie, what do you want to knit from it??

I want to knit Hermione's white fair isle (?) scarf, Fred, George & Ron's caps, and one of Dolores Umbridge's pink outfits - maybe a cardigan??

Knitlee
07-12-2007, 10:24 PM
So ... now that you've watched the movie, what do you want to knit from it??

I still have to knit a Weasley sweater.:teehee:

PCwombat
07-12-2007, 11:56 PM
Lol, UnspeakableJoy, everytime a knitted piece was worn, I couldn't help noticing it and being all "hmmm, would I want to make that?"

For the possesion scene, I'm not sure if I liked it. However, I was rather impressed with Daniel's acting. He's come a long way from the "He was their friend!!!!" disaster in the third movie.

misstialouise
07-13-2007, 06:37 AM
I want the cardies!!!

I'm sure there were hats and other things in it that I wanted.. but I'll have to see it again to make a list.. LOL

(can see Charmed Knits II in the works after the last movie)

UnspeakableJoy
07-13-2007, 07:05 AM
I still have to knit a Weasley sweater.:teehee:

Me too!! I think I may get started on them after Christmas - I have too much to knit before then :teehee:

Lol, UnspeakableJoy, everytime a knitted piece was worn, I couldn't help noticing it and being all "hmmm, would I want to make that?"

For the possesion scene, I'm not sure if I liked it. However, I was rather impressed with Daniel's acting. He's come a long way from the "He was their friend!!!!" disaster in the third movie.

:roflhard: Me too!! At one point, after my like 6th time of, "Ooooh, I want to knit that!" My daughter shushed me and said "That's enough Momma!" :teehee: Well, about the possession scene, I didn't LIKE it like it, but like you said, was impressed with Daniel's acting - I also like seeing a more compassionate and pleading side of Dumbledore.

(can see Charmed Knits II in the works after the last movie)

I thought the same thing too :teehee:

Have a great day everyone! TGIF!

dakatzmeow
07-13-2007, 05:10 PM
i watched this movie through knitter's eyes. every hat, glove, scarf, sweater, etc. was scoped out as future projects. :roflhard:

favorite parts:

when harry says he must not tell lies as the centaurs are carrying umbridge away.

when sirius punched lucius. :heart:

i would've cast the lady who plays mimi bobeck as umbridge, but i know rowling wanted an all brit cast, so i can understand. but she would've been hilarious!

i thought it was just ok. but i knew they couldn't have everything from the book in the movie. :pout:

Stiney
07-14-2007, 03:18 PM
I just saw it last night. I think they did a pretty good job, and the pacing was fast--there were very few times I thought they should speed up a scene so they could fit more in, but the pacing was sometimes TOO fast, and I felt a lot of stuff (particularly the beginning) wound up disjointed.

Re: Richard Harris v. Michael Gambon as Dumbledore...I'm in the minority on this one. I never liked Harris's Dumbledore, because I thought if someone sneezed in his direction, he'd fall over and break his hip. Not exactly the kind of Dumbledore that could handle the battle with Voldemort at the end of Order of the Phoenix.

I like Gambon inasmuch as he comes across as a powerful force to be reckoned with--I just wish he had a bit more of Dumbledore's whimsy.

Umbridge was a great casting choice.

I THOUGHT that was Helena Bonham-Carter. I wanted to make Marla Singer jokes every time she came on screen. :teehee:

PCwombat
07-15-2007, 12:16 AM
Heeheehee, off the top of my head, my only Marla Singer joke is something that really shouldn't be said at a Harry Potter movie.

(Something involving grade school...)

cathoo
07-16-2007, 06:42 AM
Re: Richard Harris v. Michael Gambon as Dumbledore...I'm in the minority on this one. I never liked Harris's Dumbledore, because I thought if someone sneezed in his direction, he'd fall over and break his hip. Not exactly the kind of Dumbledore that could handle the battle with Voldemort at the end of Order of the Phoenix.

Stiney, I'm totally on your side!

I'm also someone who thinks that this movie was much better than the book. The first few books were much better than the movies, and I liked GoF equally to the book. It might be because I read the book in a day and got sick of it repeating itself so much. The book was very much "In case you can't remember what happened 2 chapters ago, here's a nice summary" whereas you didn't need that in the movie.

knitwit88
07-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Thank you for agreeing with me... although katie leung sure was lucky:rofling:

knitwit88
07-17-2007, 10:46 AM
[quote=UnspeakableJoy;903564]
My favorite part was when Umbridge was taken away by the centaurs and she asks Harry to tell them she's a good witch, and he goes "I must not tell lies" :roflhard:

I also liked gangsta Dudley :roflhard: the entire theatre was cracking up ... and I loved the battle at the end! I loved the action shots of Harry and Dudley running in the beginning ... I loved seeing the Dementors without their cloaks (okay they were freaky, but cool nonetheless) ... I thought Voldemort's possession of Harry to be VERY cool ... I also like Dumbledore at the end - seeing a much more compassionate side to him talking to Harry while he's possessed ...

Sure I would have loved seeing Neville's parents in Mungo's, or how Percy turns into a bloody git or how the statues come to life and protect Harry ... if I had my way, the HP movies would be the entire book ... maybe in mini-installment movies ... like each book would be 4 movies. Now THAT would be cool :)
quote]
Somebody who agrees with me... yay :woot:

jillliv
07-18-2007, 11:45 AM
I was disappointed.I have just reread OOTP and kept thinking - where is this bit? that bit?The book was so involved.:think::wall:

It missed out so much.The biggest dissapointment for me was seeing Voldemort possess Harry's body after the fight scene.

on the whole though the movie was good.Umbridge was hilarious - loved her study and the kittens!:roflhard:And as for Luna she brought the charcter really to life for me :cheering:.Grawp was good as well:rofling:

JamOKnit
07-18-2007, 12:33 PM
I really enjoyed the movie since I had just finished up the book for the second time....it was easier for me, I think, to fill in the missing plot points in my head. I don't think the movie itself suffered from all the stuff that was not in there, but you are right, the story just wasn't as complete as us book readers would have liked. I know I would sit and watch a 4 hour HP movie....LOL :lol:

When Fudge came into the ministry at the end after the battle and exclaimed astonishingly, "He's back!" a woman in front of us at the theater yelled in a sarcastic voice, "No!" :rollseyes: We all cracked up. :roflhard: