PDA

View Full Version : First intarsia or sweater?

redheadrachel
07-11-2007, 09:02 PM
Hi guys! I've been knitting since Christmas, and I've done Fair Isle and cables, and stuff like hats, scarves, socks (my FAVORITE), ponchos, purses, etc.

I'm thinking that I should learn to do intarsia or a sweater or something. Those are probably my top two choices, because I feel like they're things I should know to do as a real knitter. Or maybe mitered squares or entrelac? Any suggestions for a great first project using any of these techniques? :D Thanks, everyone!

Braden
07-11-2007, 09:13 PM
I would learn to knit a sweater first, without a pattern, because then you can apply all that you have learned this far to your first sweater. Go for Jacqueline Fee's The Sweater Workshop. Great book for knitting your first sweater without a pattern.

redheadrachel
07-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Without a pattern?!?!?! I don't think I could knit ANYTHING without a pattern!

Seriously though, that's probably a really good idea. A sweater is the thing I really want to make and I know that I need to do it, but I think I have major fear issues - and without a pattern? Are you sure that's even possible? :D

ETA: That's it, everyone. I'm going to knit a sweater! :D Just saying that makes me way too happy :D lol

Krystal
07-11-2007, 11:14 PM
I second the sweater idea. I made my first sweater in January. I had only been knitting 3 months. It wasn't hard at all.

Mind you the sweater had no shaping or seams, just endless tube knitting... which is why it's called TUBEY!! (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTtubey.html) Actually I am making another one! I am just adding some more detailing here and there.

Whatever pattern you choose tho, just remember, it's all knits and purls right?

Braden
07-12-2007, 09:30 AM
I think I have major fear issues - and without a pattern? Are you sure that's even possible? :D

If designers do it, why can't you? If you get a good book, like The Sweater Workshop than you can certainly learn to calculate your own sweaters without any patterns. That's how I do all of mine, for one, you can knit to your own gauge, on the needles you want, with your own yarn. How much better could you get?

Seriously though, learn to do one without a pattern, because then you won't be restricted to a line by line pattern, and you can knit the sweaters you want, not what somebody else designed.

bip
07-12-2007, 10:30 AM
I made my brother a sweater with intarsia last February. Still waiting for ends to be woven in.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you could do a sweater WITH intarsia. Or you could also poke your eyeballs out with knitting needles. Or you could just make a nice sweater that doesn't make you want to poke your eyeballs out with knitting needles.

If you already know how to do fair isle, I'm not sure why you would ever resort to intarsia. It is a cruel joke, according to me.

Braden
07-12-2007, 05:07 PM
I agree about intarsia. I've never met an intarsia design that I even remotely liked. It's not that fun to do, either, so good for you going for the sweater!

Ingrid
07-12-2007, 08:40 PM
I like doing intarsia. :shrug: I love watching the picture develop. I do agree about the ends, though.

I'd go with a pattern for a first sweater, though. It's really good to have an idea of the general construction before you try to design your own. That's why knitting baby and kid sweaters is a great start--same construction, less knitting, flexible size if your gauge is off.:teehee:

gamerchik
07-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks for posting this topic! I, too, am totally intimidated by the idea of making a sweater (but I'm also scared of fair isle and intarsia, too :lol:). All the encouragement in topics like this really helps. :)

Ingrid
07-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Now, think about it.

What's the worst that can happen? You make a wonky sweater? You're not chiseling marble here--yarn can be reused. With everything you knit, you learn a new skill and can only get better and better.

We are knitters!! We ain't afraid of no steenkin' string!:biting: