PDA

View Full Version : dyeing fiber question

ChrissyB
07-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Ok, so I can't seem to find the answear to this online, so hopefully you wonderful people can help me. I bought 2 skeins of dye it yourself sock yarn at a fiberfest, I wanted to make white socks but now I am in love :heart::heart::heart: with hand painted, hand dyed yarns. I have kool aid dyed before, but didn't love the color results. I have been reading about dying with wiltons dyes and think I would like to do that. Now to my question. The yarn is 75% superwash wool, 25% nylon. Am I asking for trouble if I try to dye something that is not 100% wool? I want kind of verrigated colors, so getting a uniform color is not nessisary. Thanks for reading! Can't wait to hear suggestions! :muah:

jeanius80
07-11-2007, 09:17 PM
this shouldn't be any problem at all. i have dyed KPs bare fingering 75/25 wool/nylon and had great results HTH

ChrissyB
07-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks. Now the more I am reading I read the wiltons is not always stable. Should I just get some acid dyes? I am not looking to get into big time dyeing, but would like to give it a try. Oh, whats a girl to do :shrug:

Julie
07-12-2007, 12:23 AM
Certain Wilton's colors can be wonky -- especially the purple, which separates -- but in general I think they're great for beginners. Just make sure you test them first! :thumbsup:

(I test them by preparing the dye solution then dipping a piece of yarn in each color that's a few inches long, then I blot it dry. Gives a decent idea of what the color will turn out to look like.)

IamtheWalter
07-12-2007, 05:44 AM
If you buy wilton's colors, check the labels. Any colors with red 3 in the ingredients list will separate while colors that don't have red 3 won't.

Yarnlady
07-12-2007, 08:33 AM
I had pretty good luck with Wilton's purple and brown by making the dye solution up, heating up, adding the yarn and then adding the vinegar. Don't know exactly why it works better, but it did. Much less splitting.

Angelia
07-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Nylon dyes like wool does, which is odd but very handy!

I had problems with Wilton's and went to acid dyes. But I dye a lot. Tinkering with Wilton's using small bits of yarn before dyeing whole hanks will help you see which colors work well on their own and which might need a little help. I've read, though I haven't tried it, that adding table salt to the dyepot or dye mix helps even out color. I'd try a tsp for starters. Trying won't hurt the dye process, so definitely give it a shot!

orcoastknitter
07-16-2007, 06:19 PM
Nylon dyes like wool does, which is odd but very handy!

I did not know this :think:

Now I want to get some KP Bare nylon wool blend and do more dying. :rofl:

Eloewien
07-16-2007, 10:08 PM
What would happen with a wool/acrylic blend?? Just curious cuz I have some 75/25 in my stash that I might like to play with... anyone tried it?

Yarnlady
07-17-2007, 08:55 AM
What would happen with a wool/acrylic blend?? The wool will dye, the acrylic not. Which will give it a nice heathered look depending on what color the acrylic is and what color you dye the wool. Same with wool/cotton blends. The wool will dye and the cotton won't. I think it makes attractive yarn that has some depth to it.

Also the nylon may take the dye with a slightly different color than the wool does. Again, it adds character to the yarn, IMHO. ;-)

Eloewien
07-17-2007, 09:56 AM
That was what I expected... now I gotta go dig in my stash!!!