PDA

View Full Version : Avatars: How did you decide how to represent?

Lisa_H-Town
07-13-2007, 12:11 AM
I am thinking of possibly having an avatar... how did y'all decide what you would chose to represent yourselves? I see such creative avatar's and just wonder how much thought process goes into it....

Thanks!
Lisa

hummingbird
07-13-2007, 12:36 AM
Mine is a picture of my big spinning project. I'm spinning lots of different types of fibers, and then knitting them into a blanket. I already had a picture of it, and thought it was neat.

jodstr2
07-13-2007, 12:45 AM
mine is the badge on my car. well, it's not really the actual badge on my actual car, it's a pic of the part that's on my car.

lissie
07-13-2007, 12:51 AM
I'm too shy to put up an actual photo of myself so I drew one. :lol:

Rorshach
07-13-2007, 01:42 AM
Simple in my case, I didn't mind ya'll seeing what I looked like, and most of you only know my first name. So, in all honesty, my privacy is still intact.

jjminarcik
07-13-2007, 01:50 AM
Mine was easy - I collect pink flamingos! (you name it, I probably have it or am looking to get it!)

Jan in CA
07-13-2007, 01:54 AM
Sheep = wool = yarn...that's about it. :teehee: They get changed pretty regularly around here though so don't become too attached. ;-)

ADAllen
07-13-2007, 08:22 AM
I have two avatars that I use for most online things;http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1223/798844010_e14724da89_t.jpg the one that I use here and this one. I’ll tell you about Ariel first because I’ve had it longer. All my life, I’ve wanted to be a cartoon. No seriously, my dream is to be the voice in a Disney animated film. I like having the Disney avatar to show that side of me, but I seriously cannot pick my favorite Disney movie so I use Ariel because I like this picture and we both have red hair.

The muppet that I use on this forum is because I want to promote and support Sesame Workshop. I use to think that Sesame Street was a children’s show just like Mr. Rogers Neighborhood or The Wiggles, but last year I watched The World According to Sesame Street and realized that it was so much more and absolutely amazing. I have since decided that I will dedicate part of my life to working with them to improve the lives of children world wide. So, I wanted a muppet to help represent that part of me. I didn’t want one of the US muppets because it would just show the fun loving child side of me that the Disney avatar does. This is Kami. Her name means acceptance in the Tswana language. She s a muppet from the African version of Sesame Street. She is HIV positive and she lost her mother to AIDS. She was introduced to the show to help young African children learn about, understand, and deal with the epidemic that their country is fighting. I like what she represents about how a children’s television show can empower and educate children, and truly let them face their world.

OT America’s Response to Kami

When the US Congress heard about Kami, there was a huge public denouncement of Sesame Street and a demand that she be removed. They made statements about how atrocious it was that they would have to tell their children that this muppet had a disease that you get “from needles and gay sex.” It was infuriating. Kami is not a member of Sesame Street. She is on Takalani Sesame which is a South African show. Their knee-jerk response just showed that they are ignorant not only of Sesame Workshop’s amazing work, but also of the issues that Africa is dealing with. One in every nine people is HIV positive, and the African government urged the show to include a character like Kami to give support to the children.

figaro
07-13-2007, 08:58 AM
I am not real sure where I found mine, I think I just googled Avatars then animals. I found this guy and I thought a badger sticking its tongue out was funny.

Stiney
07-13-2007, 08:59 AM
CateKnits drew mine for me. :teehee:

Before that I've had bunches, but like Jan said, they change pretty regularly.

Knitting_Guy
07-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Just my own ugly mug.

Angelia
07-13-2007, 09:03 AM
Mine is a photo I found as part of a running joke in Ingrid's blog about a year or so ago. I did a google image search of "flying alpaca," and lo and behold I found one! I liked the flying alpaca so much that I adopted it as my own :teehee: It was particularly cool when I was a mod and could 'swoop' in and fix things for forum members ;)

dreamsherl
07-13-2007, 09:06 AM
My avatar is just lil old me. My previous one was my favorite animal, a frog.

brownishcoat
07-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Mine is a Stiney original! :cheering:

auburnchick
07-13-2007, 10:13 AM
The reason for mine is probably obvious by now. I've also considered, at various times, using an Auburn logo (as in Auburn University) since that's how I picked my username.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/auburn.jpg

I decided to keep the cross because that's really the core of my identity.

lissalue
07-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Mine is a Stiney original! :cheering:

me too, me too!!! :cheering::cheering:

Riss
07-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Mine is my one and only favorite comic book character Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, or JTHM. This is the best spot I've seen for more info or pictures (http://www.pbase.com/ryss/johnny_the_homicidal_maniac). Anyway, he was created by the same guy that created Invader Zim. Johnny is just a little more... dark....

I've had so many Avatars over the years though. Some of my favorites have been a "goth" Jessica Rabbit, my dog in the sink getting a bath, and me. :)

Stiney
07-13-2007, 10:25 AM
JTHM is just a little darker? :teehee:

Riss
07-13-2007, 10:26 AM
Well... okay.... maybe a lot darker... :roflhard:

Lisa_H-Town
07-13-2007, 10:32 AM
This is so interesting... I am a pretty curious person....

Sooo.. are there any rules as far as what a person can use? I found a little penguin (my collectable) named Pookie (my nickname by my best friend -- no, I don't know why.... never asked)... but wasn't sure if I could use him or if I would be violating some law and the Pookie gods would come slap some legal thing on me.... ?? :shrug:

threesmom
07-13-2007, 11:36 AM
I'm not terribly tech savvy, and for a while was just like - what are those groovy little pictures folks have? When I finally decided to add one, I was just playing with the digital camera, taking pictures of yarn. This one just looked peaceful - and that's what knitting is to me - quiet and peaceful.

That is, except when I'm working on that ##@*!! lace project for the july KAL:hair:!... But I am determined!

msoebel
07-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Generally, if you can click on it with your mouse, you can use it for an Avatar.

Mine is a cartoon of what I look like. Sort of. I don't have long hair anymore. And I hope that I am taller and cuter.

Misty

Jan in CA
07-13-2007, 11:54 AM

Sooo.. are there any rules as far as what a person can use?

Rules? Use common sense and you should be fine. Remember that this is a public forum and all ages can view it so nothing that you couldn't share with your family. I believe the images are uploaded to KH so I don't think bandwidth is an issue, but I'm not sure. I save them to my HD and then upload them.

Riss
07-13-2007, 11:55 AM

Sooo.. are there any rules as far as what a person can use? I found a little penguin (my collectable) named Pookie (my nickname by my best friend -- no, I don't know why.... never asked)... but wasn't sure if I could use him or if I would be violating some law and the Pookie gods would come slap some legal thing on me.... ?? :shrug:

I'd say that you should choose something that represents you, your mood that day, something you love, your favorite thing in the whole world, or just some random picture that you like. And if you're worried about the Pookie gods, stick something in your profile about where you got the pic :P

If you find one out there in internet land, right click on it and save image as to your desktop. That way there you always have it and can stick it wherever you want. :)

Lisa_H-Town
07-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Rules? Use common sense and you should be fine. Remember that this is a public forum and all ages can view it so nothing that you couldn't share with your family.

:rofling: no, no, nothing obscene... just wonder about copyright, etc.... PLUS, what I could share w/MY family would stretch decency to the limit!! :rofling: We are very unconventional....

OK,, when I get a few minutes (can you believe that I actually have to work while I am here??) I am going to put Pookie up, and will do as suggested and have a link set up in my profile to where I got him... then see if I get smacked with a cease and desist... or whatever.

beckyrhae
07-13-2007, 04:18 PM
My avatar is my pooch Crash. I've also used childhood pics of myself, a pic of Chow Yun Fat and a picture of Justin from Blue October... I like to change mine from time to time. Ooo... and we had rubber duckies last year. They were cool.

Riss
07-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Becky: I have a Boston too... his name is Brutus :)

nadja la claire
07-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Mine is a painting that my DH did of me almost 20 yrs. ago. My last one was my granddaughter. I hope it's not too revealing.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

beckyrhae
07-13-2007, 05:57 PM
Becky: I have a Boston too... his name is Brutus :)

There are alot of Bosties on this board... World BT Domitation! :lol:

beckyrhae
07-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Mine is a painting that my DH did of me almost 20 yrs. ago. My last one was my granddaughter. I hope it's not too revealing.

Nadja xxx

Nadja I have meant to ask you about this avatar ... I love it! Your hubby is very talented.

Sara
07-13-2007, 06:10 PM
Mine is the character "Cheese" from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends which is on Cartoon Network. He is a crazy character who has some fabulously funny scenes and my daughter and I quote the show all the time. And he fits my sense of the bizarre.:teehee:

(Chow Yun Fat =:thud:)

PixieKnits
07-13-2007, 06:16 PM
its me :D not too much to explain!

Knitting_Guy
07-13-2007, 06:22 PM
:rofling: no, no, nothing obscene... just wonder about copyright, etc.... PLUS, what I could share w/MY family would stretch decency to the limit!! :rofling: We are very unconventional....

OK,, when I get a few minutes (can you believe that I actually have to work while I am here??) I am going to put Pookie up, and will do as suggested and have a link set up in my profile to where I got him... then see if I get smacked with a cease and desist... or whatever.

I'm pretty sure that there is a rule that if you use a penguin as your av you are required to start using Linux immediately.

:lol:

LibraryLady
07-13-2007, 06:42 PM
This thread reminded me to put up an avatar.

It's me, after a leisurely, relaxing short day at work. :roflhard::roflhard:

LL

sara_jayne
07-13-2007, 06:47 PM
I have a Stiney original right now too but usually it is my pups......I do jump on the bandwagon when we have a "theme" going on, which can be fun!

Carrie218
07-13-2007, 06:56 PM
I think I was Googling around for Fat Cat for another forum and found this one -- it always made me laugh...

Eloewien
07-13-2007, 07:02 PM
You can go on meez.com and make one like I did :) the full size version is me with my signature blue crocs, a dragon sitting on my shoulder while i'm knitting while sitting in a library- that's SO me!!

bellium
07-13-2007, 07:04 PM
mine is my little otter-dog, begging for chips...

Doodknitwit
07-13-2007, 07:12 PM
I have two English Mastiffs who let us live with them :eyes:..
they are both messy when they drink... soooooooooo:hair:

zkimom
07-13-2007, 09:48 PM
My avatar is lifted from an exhibit at the American Craft Museum in NYC called "Radical Lace and Subversive Knitting (http://www.madmuseum.org/site/c.drKLI1PIIqE/b.1506945/k.3AD7/Radical_Lace__Subversive_Knitting.htm)."

I'm from NY and I tend to be a bit on the "tongue in cheek" side (ok, I'm really sarcastic most of the time :shifty: which sometimes gets me into trouble ) and I am always on the left side of center.

While in reality I knit baby sweaters, felt purses and learn how to knit lace and entrelac patterns there is still that part of me that longs to be a little radical and subversive every now and then.

Best,
Susan

hunterjenn
07-13-2007, 10:03 PM
me too, me too!!! :cheering::cheering:

Me four! Stiney original. :happydance: It's my second, in fact! I provide her with commissions from time to time. :teehee:

jeanius80
07-13-2007, 10:06 PM

Nadja xxx
i wondered about yours! beautiful, absolutly!

my avatar is my dd. she loves to wrap yarn, ribbons, stuff around her head. i thought this one was particularly cute :heart:

DianaM
07-13-2007, 10:09 PM
It's just my kitty, prettending to be cute and innocent. She's good at it.

PCwombat
07-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Mine's pretty obvious. It's a wombat!

debb
07-13-2007, 10:17 PM
Wishful thinking.

meearnol
07-14-2007, 12:51 AM
Mine's me hiding from my best friend's camera. :teehee:

PaperGirl
07-14-2007, 01:52 AM
My boyfriend. :roflhard:

Dont tell DH.

orcoastknitter
07-14-2007, 01:52 AM
Right now I have my dog... Greta.

I have a Stiney original too! :cheering: Switch back and forth between my pets and my Stine - masterpiece.

Braden
07-14-2007, 11:37 AM
Mine is just a cartoon sheep. This is the one I use the most, but I'm getting a Stiney original soon, and then that'll be the one I use most. I switch for holidays, too.

debinoz
07-14-2007, 12:35 PM
I started out with one of my kids, but it was so small they looked like aliens, so I switched to the picture my DD took of some clouds she thought were cool. DH says I picked this one because I keep my head in the clouds all the time.....

KnittingNat
07-14-2007, 04:01 PM
I was knitting and my pet #3 (aka known as Mason) was sleeping next to me, so that's my avatar - the cat and the knitting. Very simple...

zip
07-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Mine is my SO's son's boxer, Bucky. I think she's tremendously inbred and she's not smart at all. Shortly after I met her, she ate my cell phone, one of my knee-high black boots, my designer sunglasses, three or four of my hardback books, and she had a party in the back yard with a skein of pink yarn that my sister sent me - and that's just my stuff, not the possessions of others. So, I dubbed her the filthy wh***. My SO's son insisted that she isn't a filthy wh***, whereupon I reminded him of all the havoc that she'd wrought upon all of us and firmly stated that yes, she's a filthy wh***. And he agreed with me that yes, she's a filthy wh***.

Anyway... even filthy wh***s get to wear the tiara sometimes. The photo was snapped, and I love it, just as I love the filthy wh***.

kemp
07-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Generally, if you can click on it with your mouse, you can use it for an Avatar.

Mine is a cartoon of what I look like. Sort of. I don't have long hair anymore. And I hope that I am taller and cuter.

Misty

Some images are copyrighted so you should be careful. My av for example, is the logo for my business for which I have the copyright. You shouldn't use things like that without permission although I think most copyright holders wouldn't mind for a purpose like an avatar.

Feef
07-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Mine are knittens and short row doily style wash cloths I made when I first began to become bored with dish cloths. I was SO proud of them that I took pictures.

nadja la claire
07-15-2007, 12:42 PM
This thread reminded me to put up an avatar.

It's me, after a leisurely, relaxing short day at work. :roflhard::roflhard:

LL

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

You must have some job. I love it!

Nadja xxx

rebecca
07-15-2007, 05:22 PM
I have a few, but Knitting Yoda is my fave...I took the photo to send it to a friend who published my 1st pattern because she was my knitting yoda. I've since claimed Yoda as my own...She looks over my knitting at all times! You see Knitting Yoda, it's me! Then I have some socks I've made that I use now and again, different pics, mostly KY, She's the One:cheering:

UnspeakableJoy
07-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Mine was easy - my favorite photo of my kiddos :)

Braden
07-16-2007, 03:51 PM
I got my Stiney!

Kaydee
07-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Mine is my niece, I thought it was her cutest picture to date but she has even better ones now so I may have to change it up.

Luvmyrottnboy
07-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Oh my dog Cyrus is the love of my life!:heart:

ChroniclesofYarnia
07-17-2007, 03:59 PM
My avatar just spoke to me. In an English accent. :heart:

dustinac
07-18-2007, 10:58 AM
I am a HUGE fan of the classics...I don't really care for actors/actress of today's movies...they don't make me wanna see them or if I do see them that is it lol I don't wanna watch them again... However movies from the early 60s and back are my favorites... I love Grant, Davis, Cagney, Turner, Astaire, and so on... so I googled Ginger and Fred found them dancing and there ya have it :rofling:

I'm also a huge Elvis fan so I use his photo sometimes too...

Jeremy
07-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Mine is a picture I took a year ago on vacation. We were in Muir Woods in California among the giant redwoods. What a peaceful place! I use it because it relaxes me just to look at it.

KT120
07-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Oh so that's what those picture things are called! So since its so obvious I have no clue what they are, could someone direct me somewhere that has some knitting ones? I've tried looking online and don't seem to have any luck. Thanks!

cinnamon_girl
07-19-2007, 07:30 PM
I just added mine. It's a favorite shot of my long time knitting companion, Tucker. Just doing what he always did best. Hang out with me and relax. :)

RachelG
07-20-2007, 04:26 PM
I like flowers. Pretty things. Dainty things. There aren't too many "true to life" free flower avatars available, but I ran across this one and haven't changed since. Roses. (I like roses. My favorite would probably be tulips. Depends.)

Gracielen
07-21-2007, 01:42 AM
My boyfriend also...shhhh...don't tell my DH either :roflhard:

Its Jared Padalecki,he plays Sam Winchester on my all time favorite show"Supernatural".Can we say obsessed ??