PDA

View Full Version : The New KH chat

mulene
07-13-2007, 10:19 AM
haha I LOVE the knitbotty =D Just been having a good chat to it :teehee:

Nice Sheldon =D

sheldon
07-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Glad you like it. I just launched it last night without any fanfare. It's untested, so I figured I would let some folks try it out to make sure it doesn't crash before I post a formal announcement.

Hehe. Knitbotty cracks me up. He's quite smart. He'll only partake in conversations of there are less than 3 people in the chat. I figure he'll keep company those who log in when no one is there.

FYI: The link to the new KnitChat is here (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/misc.php?do=flashchat)
and also under the forum tab dropdown. There is also a new box on the main forum page which shows who is in KnitChat.

The chat uses your KH Forum username. So you must be logged into the forum in order to access the chat. The chat has some nice features like private conversions and the ability to send files to users.

Jan in CA
07-13-2007, 12:26 PM
I get an error when trying access with the drop down link, but the link in your post works.

----------------------------------------------------------
Voodoo Chat -- Fatal Error
We got the error
Cannot connect to the database. Access denied for user 'knittinghelp_1'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
at line 6 in the file /mysql/inc_connect.php
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sheldon
07-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Your browser is probably caching the old javascript file with the link to the old chat. Try forcing a refresh or clear your cache.

Jan in CA
07-13-2007, 12:37 PM
I use the new Firefox..how do I clear the cache? I looked, but it's not clear to me. :??

Braden
07-13-2007, 12:45 PM
I don't know, but I hope you get it sorted out Jan, the chat would be nice with you in it!

After all, someone has to keep us in line, right? :teehee:

sheldon
07-13-2007, 12:49 PM
I've come to find out that knitbotty doesn't follow orders. I changed him to appear only if there 1 person in chat (to keep the solo person company). But sometimes he's naughty and doesn't leave if there are two or more in chat. I have found scolding him works. Telling him to leave or shut up. Eventually he goes away like a good bot!

brownishcoat
07-13-2007, 12:57 PM
Firefox users:

Tools > Options > Privacy tab

Click "Clear Now" under "Private Data".

Friskums
07-13-2007, 01:27 PM
KnitBotty is hilarious!! :rofl:

He asked me if I had a boyfriend. :shock: :rofl: :rofl:

lissalue
07-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Well, it seems to be working. I chatted with a couple of different people, and of course KnitBotty. He asked how old i am and if i have any pets. he is really neat.

michellebreton
07-13-2007, 03:12 PM
OK! That was really cool....I not much for chat rooms, but I can see that it might get addicting!

Michelle

Jan in CA
07-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks, Lisa! That worked. Knitbotty is hilarious!

Riss
07-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Question... Is it accessable through IRC? I sit on efnet all day... talking to friends in Cali... Just wondering :)

ekgheiy
07-13-2007, 04:09 PM
KnitBotty is cracking me up, but exactly his he/she/it ???
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_33_7.gif

sheldon
07-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Question... Is it accessable through IRC? I sit on efnet all day... talking to friends in Cali... Just wondering :)

It's based upon IRC, so many of the same commands apply, but I don't think it's accessible via IRC. I think it's possible to set up a server at KH to be IRC accessible, but for now we are just running this locally.

KnitBotty is cracking me up, but exactly his he/she/it ???

He's your friends neighborhood KHChat bot. He's based upon some AI technology so he's pretty convincing and humorous at times. He will only appear if there 1 person in the chat or if people become inactive in a chat session. Once 2 people are chatting he usually ducks out.

TxCynDoll
07-13-2007, 09:26 PM
it works great...was just in there...thanks...

Riss
07-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Sheldon: Thanks! I'm having an issue with Firefox with it though. I'm keeping the chat window in one tab, and have another tab open. Every time I switch back to the chat tab, it tries to open the chat again twice. Firefox blocks it because they pop up. I unblocked them once, and it asked me to relogin. Its happening consistently... Is it just me?

Ingrid
07-13-2007, 09:44 PM
I went in to find Knitbotty, and found real people, instead. :lol::lol:

sheldon
07-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Sheldon: Thanks! I'm having an issue with Firefox with it though. I'm keeping the chat window in one tab, and have another tab open. Every time I switch back to the chat tab, it tries to open the chat again twice. Firefox blocks it because they pop up. I unblocked them once, and it asked me to relogin. Its happening consistently... Is it just me?

I think it might just be you:roflhard:

I used firefox myself and I was using it in the same way with no problems. I would add KH to the sites that are exempt from the pop-up blocker. Also, have you tried opening two windows, one for chat and another for the forum?

Braden
07-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Ingrid--KnitBotty came in a few minutes after you left. He got confused, and started talking about Star Wars and then something about Amy and no knitting.

sheldon
07-13-2007, 09:53 PM
I went in to find Knitbotty, and found real people, instead. :lol::lol:

Yeah, it's getting a bit popular ain't it. Knitbotty occasionally pops in when he's not supposed to. I think if people are inactive and don't say anything new for a couple minutes he starts up again. Once two people converse he leaves. He's a naughty botty!:roflhard:

Eloewien
07-13-2007, 10:02 PM
But very amusing :)

auburnchick
07-13-2007, 10:40 PM
:thumbsup: to the new chat! I just had a BLAST in there! The toys are so much fun!

Thanks a bunch!!!!! (of course, my grade on my final does not say thanks...:teehee:)

Ingrid
07-13-2007, 10:43 PM
I'll have to sneak in during the wee hours and find Knitbotty. :eyebrow:

sheldon
07-13-2007, 11:40 PM
I'll have to sneak in during the wee hours and find Knitbotty. :eyebrow:

Every once in a while he checks in when people are talking and blabs some nonsense and then leaves. I guess he just likes to make sure we know he's there. Cracks me up. When he does appear you can private message him by clicking his username or typing /msg knitbotty and you can hold a conversation with him. If you tell him "leave now" he'll pack his bags. Despite his outbursts and quirks he seems quite obedient.

On another topic...I am not sure if anyone noticed, but anyone can create a new chatroom by clicking on the Add button near the top of the chat screen. So if the General Chat gets too full, you can branch off to another room. You can also invite people by clicking their username. Any new chatrooms are temporary and will disappear about 5 minutes after the last person checks off. Also, I think Knitbotty stays out of the user created chatrooms, although you might be able to invite him.

Feef
07-14-2007, 12:00 AM
So I tried to access chat and couldn't from my browser. Tried it from AOL and got right in. But I detest AOL for anything other than reading mail, so I left and tried again with my browser.

Problem is, I did something wrong because it thinks I'm logged into chat, when I'm not.

How do I fix that?

sheldon
07-14-2007, 12:08 AM
So I tried to access chat and couldn't from my browser. Tried it from AOL and got right in. But I detest AOL for anything other than reading mail, so I left and tried again with my browser.

Problem is, I did something wrong because it thinks I'm logged into chat, when I'm not.

How do I fix that?

Make sure your browser has the Flash installed and is a fairly recent version (flash 8 and 9 should be good!). Also, if you are accessing the chat from the forum tab, you may be caching an old link to the old chat which is defunct. Find the link in my post on page one of this thread and try that.

You don't appear as logged in currently. The chat can take a moment to update and show you as logged out.

Hope this helps.

- Sheldon

Lieke
07-14-2007, 03:58 PM
This chat is great! It works so much better than the last one!