PDA

View Full Version : Pick a name, any name. :)

wewantmore
07-13-2007, 10:02 PM
So I have about a week to go and we have NO names picked out. NONE. Well we have names, but nothing that seems to 'fit'.

So I'm asking you all for suggestions.

Here are names we like:

Samantha
Amelia
Kendra

Benjamin
Justin
Daniel
Erich
David

But like I said, none 'fit'.

(also we like FULL names, we will not use nicknames.) ALSO also, hehe, we didn't find out if it's a boy or girl so all names are welcome.

So what are your favorite names. I need a big list as we've been through 2 baby name books and still haven't found one.

Michelle

Knitting_Guy
07-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Fred

zip
07-13-2007, 10:12 PM
I like Fred. George is cool, too.

A website to help prevent you from naming your baby a bad, bad thing. (http://notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/)

PCwombat
07-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Ooo, I like William!

feministmama
07-13-2007, 10:29 PM
How about something from adjectives like Noble?

Lady Violet
07-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Fred

mason, you ALWAYS crack me up!
:chair: :chair:

Ingrid
07-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Sometimes you have to see the baby to know what name 'suits' him or her.

What name do you want to repeat 1,387,485,487,387,937 times in your lifetime?:rofling:

auburnchick
07-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Out of your list, I like Amelia and David.

I, personally, like Anna and Andrew ;)

newamy
07-13-2007, 11:11 PM
I like Amelia and Justin from your list.
My personal favorites for children's names are Spencer and Bethany. Give you two guesses why...
But some other suggestions Cameron: (however it easily is changed to Cam for short and you don't like that) or Sophia but it often becomes Sophie. Grace is lovely. Michael is nice but a bit too frequently used. Hmmm...I guess I'm out of ideas. Good luck.

brendajos
07-13-2007, 11:49 PM
Okay so I was just sitting here saying your family names in my head and this is what I heard:

Michelle, Steven, Kayla, Joseph, and Hannah
ditto and Emily
ditto and Emma

Ditto and Michael
Ditto and Scott
Ditto and Matthew

Did you already have a middle name picked out? that might make a difference in the names too.

And, of course, whoever he or she is will definitely tell you when you meet them! ;)

Knitting_Guy
07-13-2007, 11:51 PM
I'd be willing to bet there wouldn't be another Rumplestiltskin in the the kid's class.

mel.b
07-14-2007, 12:09 AM
Hmmm, tricky, especially if you have alredy been through a couple of baby name books!

From your 'girl' names, I like Amelia. Samantha can be shortened to 'Sam', so you may not want that one. Other girl names I like is Olivia and Alani.

From your boy names benjamin and daniel can both be shortened (ben and dan). I like Jarvis and Noah for boy names.

What sort of name do you want? Do you want an 'old fashioned' name or a 'modern' name. Do you want normally spelling or want to change the spelling? Long name, short name?

I found a cool site that you probably have came across...http://www.yeahbaby.com/baby-names-search.php

You can search by gender, number of letters in the name, number of syllables, starting letter, last letter, meaning of the name and ethnic origins of the name. It also has a baby name generator where you can put in all of your possible first and middle names and baby naming tips!

Let us know what you decide.
Mel.b

auburnchick
07-14-2007, 12:40 AM
Something you should think about is that if you're worried about names being shortened, well, you have some control over that.

I was worried when we named our son Andrew. I did not want him called Andy (although I wouldn't have minded Drew). We have always called him by his proper name and politely corrected those who tried to shorten it.

A similar thing happened with our daughter. Someone once called her Annie, and I immediately asked them to please call her by her given name. The kids can be taught to do the same as they get older.

So, if you find a longer name you like, stick with it!

meearnol
07-14-2007, 12:43 AM
I like Amelia and David from your list, too. Please, for the love of all that is good, whichever name you choose, spell it the conventional way. I say this after 25 years of repeating "actually, it's m-e-g-H-a-n-N."

Perhaps I'm a bit biased on this one, but I think my sister has the most beautiful name in the world. In fact, I'll probably name my daughter after her (if I ever have a daughter, that is.) Her name is Bryn, just like the college. It's a traditional name, but not overly used. Of course, if you have a girl and use the name Bryn, be prepared to correct lots of people who will want to say "Bryan."

Best of luck in your name choosing!

orcoastknitter
07-14-2007, 02:05 AM
I like:

Grace
Emma
Elizabeth

Gregory
Jeffery
Mitchell

Jan in CA
07-14-2007, 02:11 AM
Emily
Emma
Kate
Katherine

Thomas
Jeffrey
Michael
Andrew

Mazie
07-14-2007, 02:21 AM
Lauren Beth

Mark Alan

Monique-Hellene'

AmandaC
07-14-2007, 06:10 AM
Cameron
Elliott
Tobey / Toby

Lauren

wewantmore
07-14-2007, 07:38 AM
You guys ROCK.

Some of the names posted are ones I've been thinking of as well but didn't post them.

Lauren
Toby
Elisabeth
Matthew
Andrew
Sofie/Sofia

As for it not being shortened, we know the drill. Family tried to call Joseph "Joey" or "Joe" from the get go but we squashed that right away. :teehee: My husband is SteveN, not Steve and I'm Michelle not Shelly. I wouldn't mind a nickname for a NAME, just not to shorten any name.

We do not have a middle name.

We like 'traditional' names and would NEVER alter the spelling. I hate that.

I will put it out there that we have Kayla Marie and Joseph Michael Edward. So those names are 'used'.

Keep 'em coming as I am making a list. We feel that it will just 'hit' us when we meet him/her. (I hope) :oops:

Michelle

PS, our 'back up names' for Kayla was Samantha Nicole (we are now thinking Samantha Elisabeth and for Joseph it was Justin Daniel. But we feel that those are now "back up names" so are on the fence about them. We had picked Erich David for this one, but have grown to not like it as much. (my Gpa was named Erich with the H, he was German so that's how we'd spell it if we use it)

Knitting_Guy
07-14-2007, 07:48 AM
People do have an odd habit of wanting to shorten names. My name is Mason and several of my friends call me Mace. I assume it's because I'm irritating.

wewantmore
07-14-2007, 07:54 AM
I don't get why people try to shorten names. It drives me batty. We'll be introduced to someone and my husband will say "Hi my name is Steven" people ALWAYS respond with "it's nice to meet you Steve" UM NO, just 3 secs ago I told you my name was SteveN. :!!!::!!!: It truly gets my blood boiling.

Michelle

Riss
07-14-2007, 10:46 AM
My family has an odd tradition when it comes to girls names. My Great Grandmother's name was Evelyn. My Grandmother's name is Jayne Evelyn, Mom is Karren Jayne, and I'm Christina Karren. I think I got the short end of the stick.

I love the names Edana and Aiden. They're not all that easy to shorten.

Hope it kind of helps.. even just a little. :)

--Riss

iza
07-14-2007, 11:44 AM
I always found strange that habit of shortening names. It's not that common in French (at least not where I come from). Hyphenated names are often shortened, but otherwise if you introduce yourself with a certain name, this is the one people will use. In English (at least in Canada and States), it seems to be the norm to shorten your name! I got an email recently from a collaborator whom I met only once and we don't know each other well at all. He used the same nickname as my mom and boyfriend use and it kind of disturbed me, to be honest! I'm still not used to that.:shock:

kellyh57
07-14-2007, 11:45 AM
I LOVE Lauren. As for girls, I have a ton of names since I'm on my 3rd boy :) Alyssa, Alayna, Maya, Tessa, Brianne. Hmmm, I'm forgetting some. I have a friend expecting a girl and I gave her a list of about 20 names a few weeks ago. We're trading names that we can't use for our own babies. She gives me any boy names she comes up with and I give her girl names!

As far as shortening names. My husband is Jon. Not JOHN, not Jonathan, just JON. Besides everyone wanting to throw in the H, they assume it's short for Jonathan since it doesn't have the H. It drives him crazy too! I love the name Andrew and hate Andy. I used it as a middle name so no one will ever shorten it! We have Grant Calvin (my Grandpa died while I was pregnant so he got his name as the middle) and Jared Andrew. Neither one of those can be shortened.

As far as boys, I'm watching the thread for names. I have a few, but none we agree on- Elias, Canaan, Dylan (Grant's backup), Evan, Heath, Derek. (I think they only reason he doesn't like Derek is because Grey's Anatomy is my favorite show and thinks I got it from there!)

Kelly

marykz
07-14-2007, 12:06 PM
the best advice I got for naming was to pick a first and middle from the list.

go stand at the bottom of the stairs of the house, facing up the stairs.

yell the name really loud up the stairs.

Picture yourself yelling this name like this for the next 18+ years. still like it? (As in "Kayleigh Grace Get your Butt Down here or you will Miss the Bus!!!")

That's how we came up with Kayleigh Grace

We had Katarina, Adele, Julianna, and Marguerite as alternates. (we really wanted Grace as the middle.) We took the list to the delivery room, then when she arrived we watched her for a while and decided what we thought suited her best.

We also double checked what the initials would be. Emily Ann was high on our list until we looked at EAZ (Easy) as her initials

We also don't like nicknames. I love Elizabeth, but don't like Lizzy. Love Margaret, but don't like Maggie. Sooooo there you are.

debinoz
07-14-2007, 12:23 PM
I love nicknames or shortened names.. except my own. (Deb) I have a Trent, a Jen, and a Robi (or bob, she loves that one). I hate when people call me Debra and love the name Debi.

For boys names I like Brandon, Brian and Kyle.

Girls names, Cheyenne, Faith and Jasmine

leedsfan
07-14-2007, 02:35 PM
For a boy i like Shace or Ronan

For a girl i like Lindsay or Marcia

mulene
07-14-2007, 02:52 PM
IF I were ever to have kids the two names that I like the most and would want to call them would be:

Jake (or Jack) (Ok so its a derivative of Jacob but I love the name Jake)

Chloe (its a name I've always liked)

I also rather like the names Zach and Aaron.

My boss is an Andrew - woe betide anyone who dares to call him Andy!

auburnchick
07-14-2007, 03:41 PM
I love Elizabeth, but don't like Lizzy. Love Margaret, but don't like Maggie. Sooooo there you are.

Oh, you just brought back a memory! My dd's middle name is Elizabeth, after my dh's grandmother.

The first time we took her to see dh's g'parents, his g'mother started calling dd "Lizzie."

I really do like the name Elizabeth. It's beautiful and is used by many people as a middle name.

Anyhow, have fun picking a name! You've gotten a lot of GREAT suggestions!!!!

Angelia
07-14-2007, 03:46 PM
For girls, Olivia and Sophia

For boys, Nathaniel and Benjamin

Krystal
07-14-2007, 06:42 PM
My family has an odd tradition when it comes to girls names. My Great Grandmother's name was Evelyn. My Grandmother's name is Jayne Evelyn, Mom is Karren Jayne, and I'm Christina Karren. I think I got the short end of the stick.

I love the names Edana and Aiden. They're not all that easy to shorten.

Hope it kind of helps.. even just a little. :)

--Riss

This tradition is also in my family... sorta... I am kinda the starting point. My grandmother's name was Kathleen, so my name is Krystal Kathleen. I loved it so much growing up I decided to start a tradition... So my daughter's middle name will be Karen after my mom's first name. I don't think you got the short end. Karren is lovely.

the best advice I got for naming was to pick a first and middle from the list.

go stand at the bottom of the stairs of the house, facing up the stairs.

yell the name really loud up the stairs.

Picture yourself yelling this name like this for the next 18+ years. still like it? (As in "Kayleigh Grace Get your Butt Down here or you will Miss the Bus!!!")

That's how we came up with Kayleigh Grace

We had Katarina, Adele, Julianna, and Marguerite as alternates. (we really wanted Grace as the middle.) We took the list to the delivery room, then when she arrived we watched her for a while and decided what we thought suited her best.

We also double checked what the initials would be. Emily Ann was high on our list until we looked at EAZ (Easy) as her initials

We also don't like nicknames. I love Elizabeth, but don't like Lizzy. Love Margaret, but don't like Maggie. Sooooo there you are.

That's a really clever way to check name flow. Good Advice.

I too am not a big fan of shortening names. But it really depends on the name and the person.

People who dared call me "Krys" (minus my sister and friend matt) would receive the death glare and a very distinct "My name is KRYSTAL"

FH and I have decided on the name Elora Karen for our (some day) daughter. When I told my mom she immediately said AWW ELLIE!!! I cut her off so quick...I do not like names that end with "ee" sounds. They are fine for those who have them, but not for me. I will most likely use Ella for a nick name for her, just to stave off the inevitable "Ellie's" that will come.

I really loooove the name Amelia in your list for a girl. Such a pretty name and no way to shorten it really.

If we have more than 1 girl the other names I like are Roslin, Zoe, and Amelia. Haha we are hoping we will have a girl one day because we cannot find a single boys name that suits our family.

KnitClickChick
07-14-2007, 06:58 PM
From your list I like Samantha and David.
I don't have kids, but I love to look at baby name books and websites. Some of my favorite names are Piper (name of my supervisor's daughter), Tabitha and Savannah. For boys I like Mason, Jacob and Royal. I know Royal is kind of odd, but I remember watching Little House on the Prarie, and Almonzo had a brother named Royal. I think that is different without being too off the wall.

Chris.M
07-14-2007, 08:12 PM
austin is cool

mel.b
07-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Amelia can be shortened to Millie, which I actually like just by itself.

I work with children and I take notice of how parents introduce their children and use that - for example, I had one boy called "Samuel" and as I was writing his name I just asked Mum if he gets 'Sam' as well and she said no, so I always made sure to call him Samuel.

Someone mentioned "little house on the Pairie' - I was named after the actress who played Mary Ingliss (Melissa Sue) My family have always called me Melissa, but when I got into my senior years at high school I started to get 'Meliss' from my friends and then when I started Uni, I interchangably introduced myself either as "Mel" or "Melissa" depending on who it was.

Mel.b

Indygirl
07-14-2007, 09:50 PM
People do have an odd habit of wanting to shorten names. My name is Mason and several of my friends call me Mace. I assume it's because I'm irritating.

I agree with the others, You ARE a funny guy:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

I love my G.D.'s name, Sophia Marie...

angel4ever
07-14-2007, 10:04 PM
For girls I like:
Tiffany (my name :))
Celeste
Trinity
Michelle
Savannah

For boys I like:
Michael
Terrence
Nathaniel

Feef
07-14-2007, 10:19 PM
From your list, I like Samantha and David.

My kids' names: Michael Christopher and Jonathan Kyle. Their boys' names: Andrew Michael, Tyler A. (yup, just the initial), and Christopher Charles.

I really don't like the repeating letters thing. A very dear friend is named Kristi Lynn, but her childhood nickname was "Kay." She named her oldest daughters Kaylyn and Kaycee. She remarried a guy named Joey, and wanted to keep the "K" name but also employ Joey's name for their baby girl. Result? Kloey. The "Kl" part for Kristi Lynn, and "oey" for ummm...Joey.

For the rest of that little girl's life she'll be spelling her name. As does Kaycee who recently turned 14.

But nothing is as bad as my entire, given, squished-onto-the-birth-certificate name: Janet Marie Therese Bernadette. YUP, Irish Catholic mother. (Now see why Dad nicknamed me Fifi/Feef? LOL)

So thanks Mom, for forcing me to write that name out on any legal document.

So, be kind to the babies!

syndactylus
07-15-2007, 12:52 AM
I don't know if this is how it is, but although I think it's a beautiful name, if Amelia Badelia (?) is still a popular kids' book, I wouldn't use it.
I have a friend with incurable trauma... and she ended up shortening it to Amy.

Two of my favorite girls' names are Heike and Zilke (or Silke), but maybe they aren't very American. And Caleb for a boy, though I heard that was hillbilly some places, but I say whatever to that. Also Jake and Ben (if they start out shortened, they can't get shorter).

Dangles
07-15-2007, 01:11 AM
I'm not a fan of shorten names either.

So my kids have names you can't shorten, Keira Grace and Caden Alexander.

jeanius80
07-15-2007, 01:33 AM
ok... from your list these 2 are my picks: amelia and benjamin

our dd is makenna colleen,(i know makenna is spelled wrong, but i like it that way). she gets 'kenna' a lot, but its cute for now. colleen is my mom's middle name and mine too. i always knew my 1st dd would have colleen for a mn. if she had been a boy it was going to be corey dylan (or robert, dh's middle name). our back ups (in case of multiples- we were waaaaaaay over prepared! )

Aimee Johann
Isabel Kay
Nicholas Andrew
Samuel Wilson

good luck!

after we had gotten home, i tried out the other names on dd, and told dh i thought she looked more like an Aimee Johann. he thought i wanted to change it. i didn't. i still wonder if i should have. johann is my g'mas name, and kay is dh's mom's middle name. samuel wilson is my ggpa's name and nicholas andrew is just something dh loves. and a side note on corey; it was supposed to be coriantimur, with corey being the nn we would use. but then i realized how cruel that would be to do to a little kid... :rofl:

Hygiene Mama
07-15-2007, 02:02 AM
For a girl...what about "Sandra"???

I like "Liam" for a boy? I've always liked "Piper" for a girl, it wouldn't fly with dh though!

Shandeh
07-15-2007, 08:10 AM
Yeah! Sandra IS a cool name! :teehee:
(Or Alexandria, Alexandra, Alexander, Cassandra, Xandria, Xander.....well...you get the idea.) :wink:

I actually like these names:

David
Mark
John
Sam
Luke
Jim
Jesse
Alex
Nick
Noah

Susan
Jessi
Alexis
Lauren
Valerie
Emma
Rose
Daisy
Lily

I also like names that can be turned into initials, like CJ, DJ or TJ.

threesmom
07-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Please, please, for the love of God, please don't give your child a preshortened name. My mom named me Beth rather than Elizabeth because she didn't want anyone calling me Liz ... so my whole life I've been "Beth ... (Elizabeth?) NO, Just Beth!" Besides, it sort of sounds like a sneeze, ya know? Try it. Trust me. :teehee: I actually really like it on other people though.

For boys, well, besides Jacob (like every other mother with a 2 year old boy!)I like William alot - but we had a Lilly, and Willy or Billy and Lilly just seemed silly. Aidan, Samuel.

I still love Lilly and I really love Grace (my girls) - and I always loved Emma. Grace was almosst Amelia or Sophia, but we used Amelia for her middle.

But my kids sort of took on their names too. We went in with a few choices and sort of let them "pick" - it worked too.

Good lluck - and have fun!

Ronda
07-15-2007, 03:27 PM
From your list, I LOVE the name Kendra. I also love Benjamin and Justin.

I obviously love the names Jacob and Alexa - that's what I named my kids! Other choices we had picked out were Meagan and Caleb.

nadja la claire
07-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Danielle
Julia
Sheila
Anna
Katherine
Michelle
Christina
Alexandria

Michael
David
Sean
Ian
Kevan
Alexander
Joshua

The top two are the names of my grandchildren.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

debinoz
07-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Oh.. and please, please don't make up a name!! I have a GD named Debecca. Named after me (Debi) and my sister, (Rebecca) People have already asked how to spell it and she just turned 1! Plus, the 3 youngest all have hypenated middle names.. they don't really go together well either. Alyssa Amber-Louise, Cassandra Liberty-Marie, and Debecca Elizabeth-Noel. Poor girls!!!

Shandeh
07-15-2007, 07:07 PM
OMG!

When I was a young girl, we had neighbors who were named Lane and Delphine. Their daughters were DeLane and LaDell. I always thought that was wild.

miles
07-15-2007, 07:16 PM
what a fun thread...

my favorite boys name start with my son's names..still love them as much today as the day I picked them out for my baby boys

*Kyle
*Jordan
also like--
Miles
Ethan
Devin

Girls Names

Paige
Emma
Chloe
Zoe

Can't think of any more..those are the top ones on my list...

miles
07-15-2007, 07:18 PM
also to clarify my choice of "Miles" as a favorite boys name as well as my forum ID, it's two different entities....there's a thread about how you picked your screen name I believe, I'll explain there...

blueeyes28
07-15-2007, 07:31 PM
If my second baby was a girl we were going to name her Amazia but she was a he so we named him Aidan.

Kaydee
07-16-2007, 11:21 AM
I like Jake, Matthew, Tristan, and Cameron for boys and for girls, Molly, Lilly, Madeline, and Emily. Iíve always like shortened names though, Iím Katherine but I hate it when people call me that. I always go by Katie (or Kate from family and close friends). My nieceís name is Camden but we call her Cammie for short which I love!

stagebear
07-16-2007, 11:49 AM
i always wanted to use Lillian - my grandmother's name, and i would shorten it to Lily, but now my cousin is using Lily.
for a boy, Owen in my bf's middle name, so that's what it would be.

i personally like nicknames, but only to a certain degree. my bf and his sister are legally Ted and Kate (not Theodore and Katherine).

for other names i like:

Amelia
Ryan (yes, for a girl)
Emma
Madison
Olivia
Paige

William
Caleb
Jacob
Dylan

nonny2t
07-16-2007, 12:18 PM
I like

Abigail
Hannah
Grace
Emma
Melanie
Madison

Jonathan
Jackson\
Thomas/ (ok, so I am partial to these two, but I still like them! lol)
Carson
Kevin
Kerry or Carri (boy or girl)
Nathan

Chel
07-16-2007, 12:49 PM
I have always wanted kids. When I was 9 I had a dream that I had a baby girl and was leaving the hospital and the nurse stopped me and told me I had to write the baby's name on the birth certificate before I could leave the hospital. I wrote Roycera (pronounced Roy-Sara) on the form, handed it back to the nurse and said, "Come on Roycie, lets go home." So it has always been Roycera Angelia, since I was 9 years old.

For a boy I have always liked Andrew Braedon but when I was 28 I had a dream that I had the most beautiful baby boy with the most serene, wise expressive eyes. He was in a carrier and I was packing up to take him to meet my Aunt and all the while I was talking to him and I said, "You know, I always thought your name would be Andrew Braedon, but you knew your name was Eric Connor didn't you?".

So there you have it...
If I ever have a baby these are the names
Roycera Angelia and Eric Connor
and as backups
Evangeline Grace and Andrew Braedon

But there are other names I like:
Heaven
Cassie
Mackenna
Natalia
Sophia
Lauralee

Zander
Donovan

I am not one for biblical names, or trendy names just because they are SO overdone. I was one of 4 Michelles in every class in school. It got to be such a pain that I actually picked up Mikki (ewww) as a nickname. Years later when I started working for a record label I needed a name that was trendy and versatile so I became "Angel" and then about 8 years ago, someone started calling me Chel-Chel and Chel just stuck.

Stiney
07-16-2007, 01:07 PM
I like Adam and Aaron for boys, can never decide on girl's names, but it's okay cause I don't want kids.

Re: shortening names...you're going to have a very hard time stopping other people from doing it once the kids go to school, unless the name really can't be shortened. And that's besides the fact that your kid may like Kate instead of Katherine. :shrug: My cousin is trying to go by "Mary" instead of "Mary Lee," and my friend decided he wanted to be GM and started introducing himself as that.

I'm a Christine...my problem is usually lengthening (Christina) which I am emphatic about correcting. I've probably gotten "Christy" without realizing it (cause it still sounds the same), but I don't like "Christy" or "Chrissy" for me. Other Christines/Christinas/Kristens/etc can go by those, but they aren't ME. I'll also answer to Chris, because it doesn't bother me, and the kind of people who call me Chris are usually going to call me Chris even if I correct them. :shrug:

letah75
07-16-2007, 02:34 PM
Rosa Leigh
Sharai
Delilah
Isis
Rowan
Bronwyn
Evangeline

Micah Alexander
Cade
Dante
Zane
Saywer
Elan

sunshine15960
07-16-2007, 02:52 PM
what about cassie or roxie or alexis robin cory kelly raven billy joe joey jessy jessica jess liz tiki pat patrick francis cody colt chris lots of names i need help i dont know how to finnish the very last stitch or knit

wewantmore
07-16-2007, 02:53 PM
I now have a very long list. Thank you.

re: shortening names. *WE* won't shorten it, but if him/her wants to be called something else then their friends are fine to do it. We just won't be starting that 'trend' nor do be plan on calling them a different name then what is on their birth certificate.

As for school doing it, I doubt it. We home school. :wink:

Michelle

Stiney
07-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Okay, then. :thumbsup:

Shandeh
07-16-2007, 03:21 PM
what about cassie or roxie or alexis robin cory kelly raven billy joe joey jessy jessica jess liz tiki pat patrick francis cody colt chris lots of names i need help i dont know how to finnish the very last stitch or knit

To get answers on knitting problems, try posting your question here:
http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23

I now have a very long list. Thank you.

re: shortening names. *WE* won't shorten it, but if him/her wants to be called something else then their friends are fine to do it. We just won't be starting that 'trend' nor do be plan on calling them a different name then what is on their birth certificate.

As for school doing it, I doubt it. We home school. :wink:

Michelle

OK Shelly. :roflhard: (Just kidding, my friend) :wink:

Jeremy
07-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Jordan (either boy or girl)

For a girl- Hannah, Abigail, Honor (An old Puritan name, they used to name people after qualities like Prudence. I knew a woman named Honor once and thought it was great) and Elisha

For a boy- Samuel, David, Reed, Benjamin.

Kaydee
07-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Hannah, I love that name!

Phaedra
07-16-2007, 09:40 PM
My son is Nicholas. We call him Nicky; he perfers Nick.
I was named after the 2 lead characters of a movie, starring Melina Mercouri and Anthony Perkins (yep, Psycho): Phaedra Alexis

SandraEllen
07-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Please, please, for the love of God, please don't give your child a preshortened name. My mom named me Beth rather than Elizabeth because she didn't want anyone calling me Liz ... so my whole life I've been "Beth ... (Elizabeth?) NO, Just Beth!"

That's funny. I have a friend named Mandy Jo. I always called her Amanda Josephine. Only because we were friends. Kinda like a nick name - only longer.

I like Hannah for a girl and Cole for a boy. From your list I like Justin and Amelia.

Shandeh
07-17-2007, 05:20 AM
When Marvin and I got married 5 years ago, we each already had 3 children from our previous marriages. Yes, that's 6 kids.

Well, at one point after we'd been married a couple years, we got the crazy notion to have one of our own. We tried, but it didn't work out. Now, we can't have anymore, because I had a hysterectomy last year. So, we are just happy with the ones we already had.

Anyway, when we were talking about having a baby, we were hoping for a girl, since I'd never had a girl. We wanted to name her Daisy Jane.

KnittingNat
07-17-2007, 05:36 AM
Jordan (either boy or girl)

For a girl- Hannah, Abigail, Honor (An old Puritan name, they used to name people after qualities like Prudence. I knew a woman named Honor once and thought it was great) and Elisha

For a boy- Samuel, David, Reed, Benjamin.
Jeremy, what lovely Jewish names :hug:. I like Abigail myself, but DH doesn't :rofling:. The problem is that Biblical names sound great in English (I would definitely go for Benjamin or Nathaniel), but in Hebrew they sound awfully old and orthodox and the kid will get his a** kicked in the kindergarten :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:. I like the name Guy for a boy (in Hebrew it means valley and in Gaelic something else).

ADAllen
07-17-2007, 08:02 AM
JHonor (An old Puritan name, they used to name people after qualities like Prudence. I knew a woman named Honor once and thought it was great)
I'm really glad you said that... I have been thinking about Honor as a boy's name, and now I'm going to have to be really sure that I like it before I give it to him knowing that it was a girls name

wewantmore
07-17-2007, 08:08 AM
Sandy, I think that's where my 'dislike' for nicknames came from. People would try to call me Shelly and I would hear my Mom tell them "Her name is Michelle, if I wanted her called Shelly I would have named her Shelly." I heard it a lot growing up, so I think it just instilled in me the dislike for shortening names/nicknames.

I love Abigail, but Steven has said NO. He's said no to too many names at this point. :tap:

hellokitty165
07-17-2007, 08:16 AM
ziggy...jerome...Ryoko...Naomi...Sonia...once you see the baby you will know his/her name...

zkimom
07-17-2007, 08:48 AM
Here's my list -- I like old fashioned names for girls:

Rose
Grace
Lila
Claire (however you want to spell it -- but my girl's is Clare and she's always tell people there is no "i" in her name)
Sophie
Lucy

Boys have always been a toughie for me. My son's name is Nicholas but don't ever call him that -- for him it's Nick or nothing. I like Michael but not Mike, William but not Bill. Stephen but not Steve. I also like Ian and John.

I have an aversion to strange names -- my mother tells me that she has a cousin who named a child "Tree." Being as I'm from Jewish descent I always imagined some poor kid named "Tree Leibowitz" or "Tree Schwartz" running around!

A long time ago I was involved with an Guru. At the time, every expectant couple and proud parent of a new baby wanted to have him bless their child with an enlightened name -- friends of mine presented him with their baby girl (they had named her Emerald in case they couldn't get the Guru to give her a name.) The guru looked at the baby and he chose a name. Sheila.

They actually started calling her Sheila for a long time until they admitted they hated the name. Their other kids had all sorts of new agey names that I can't remember (Here are my children -- Diamond, Crystal, Sapphire and Sheila.)

Imagine how confusing it was for the child who at the age of 3 or 4 had to adjust to her parents calling her Emerald again. I guess Sheila wasn't enlightening enough for them. :shrug:

Best,
Susan

SusanAnn
07-17-2007, 11:19 AM
The first three boys names are the names of my boys, so I am kind of partial to them:inlove:

Boys

David
Timothy
Hamish
Joshua
Isaac
Edward
Zak
Noah
Patrick
Rowan
Tobias
Barnaby
Dominic

Girls
Jessica
Isobel
Martha
Hannah
Esme
Jemima
Rosie
Maisie
Matilda
Charlotte
Caitlin
Naomi
Ruth

syndactylus
07-17-2007, 07:32 PM
there's also rudemoleus pontchartrain.
I'm partial to it.

Shandeh
07-17-2007, 08:54 PM
Sandy, I think that's where my 'dislike' for nicknames came from. People would try to call me Shelly and I would hear my Mom tell them "Her name is Michelle, if I wanted her called Shelly I would have named her Shelly." I heard it a lot growing up, so I think it just instilled in me the dislike for shortening names/nicknames.

I love Abigail, but Steven has said NO. He's said no to too many names at this point. :tap:

Bless your heart. It's so hard to choose a name you will both like, isn't it? I remember naming my second child, Noah. I told his dad that I like that name. I chose Noah Alexander, because Alexander is the male version of my name. He said he didn't like it, so I went back to the drawing board. After a few months, he came to me and said, "What about Noah Alexander?" :-? At first, I was going to say, "Well that's the name I wanted 3 MONTHS ago!" But, I clammed up, and pretended like he came up with it all by himself.
:teehee:

So, his name is Noah Alexander.....my favorite name by far. :thumbsup:

Oh, and don't worry. I was just teasing...I'll never call you Shelly. When I was young, people would mistakenly call me Sally or Sandra or Fanny. I was like :shock: "FANNY!?!" My name is SANDY!!

larudden
07-17-2007, 09:52 PM
I love the name Bethany! My oldest is Bethany Lyn, then Kathryn Pauline and Allison Nicole. At 25, 23 and 21, they are now Beth, Kate and Alli.

Amelia
Emma
Hannah
Joy
Rachel

I love strong names for boys - Matthew, Michael, William, Joseph, Steven

I am Leslie Ann. I HATED my name growing up because everyone used to tease me. My nickname is Les (pronounced "Lez" so you can just imagine how the boys treated me. Not fun.) However, I like my name now. Here's a crazy story: I was at the town hall in my home town about 10 years ago, looking through the birth records, and my birth is registered there as "Lester Ann, Boy Child." My mother was so upset when I told her but I thought it was a trip! My younger sister, Tracey, still calls me Lester sometimes. I don't like the name Lester. Nope!

ctmax
07-17-2007, 11:47 PM
I have 3 boys and could always think of tons of girl names I liked but never any boys names. I ended up calling my boys

Tanner
Hayden
Evan

but if I would have had a girl it would have been Hailey with the first then Morgan with the second and then with the last it would have been Emma.

cftwo
07-19-2007, 02:40 PM
It's been about a week, so I wonder if you've found a name yet.

wewantmore
07-19-2007, 07:18 PM
No name yet, but also no baby yet.

I was going to be induced today, but we pushed it back until Tuesday, so a few more to come up with something.

At least now we have a 'list'.

Thank you all for your input and your names.

Michelle

Doodknitwit
07-19-2007, 07:42 PM
how about your maiden. name???

catownedanna
07-20-2007, 09:45 AM
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "Jag kanske har lite andra namn" = "I might have some other names"
_____

As a Swede it's interesting to see how "American" a lot of your name suggestions are. At least to me. There are many American names that would never work in Scandinavia. They sound strange in our languages or just don't "fit" in our word flow.

Some or my favourites (I think most of them will work in English too) are

Girls:
Liv (means "life" in Swedish)
Saga (with a hard g and open a:s)
Louise
Agnes
Alva
Ida (I as in fit)
Linnea
Alice
Ellen
Tilda

Boys:
Lucas
Oscar
Eric
Linus
Noah
Carl
Otto
Robin
Nils

I think you'll know when you se her/him! And if you don't right away, let it take some time. Friends of mine couldn't decide on a name for their daughter until she was six weeks old... I'm sure she didn't mind being called Sweetie, Wonder, Cutie, or Monster the first weeks of her life. :shrug: :teehee:

Good luck in picking a name and also with the delivery!

Ingrid
07-20-2007, 10:34 AM
My niece's name is Linnea! She lives in Massachusetts and people there always pronounce it Linnear. :shrug:

I was reminded of a Jenna yesterday. Always liked that name.

Shandeh
07-20-2007, 10:36 AM
That reminds me of my first child. When I was carrying him, we chose the name Joseph Aaron, because it means "increaser of brightness". We were going to call him Aaron.

But when he was born, he just didn't "look" like a Joseph Aaron, or an Aaron. We called him that for a few days, but it just didn't feel right.

So, we changed it to Joshua Lynn, and that felt perfect. When he was little, he always corrected everyone that tried to call him "Josh". He would say, "NO! My name is JAH-SHOO-WAH!" :teehee:

lissalue
07-20-2007, 10:59 AM
We went with mostly family names for our kids.

David Lee Jr. --dh goes by David, and ds goes by Lee

Lightal Michelle -- dh's grandmother's name was Lightal but nothing sounded right with it. in the hospital i decided on Michelle. it is the only non-family name.

Laura Ellen -- my mom's first name, and several others in her family is Laura, and on the other side of my family, Ellen was my great-grandmother's name, and my grandmaw and her sisters have been trying to get a baby named Ellen for years.

Our other boy name was Carson McBride after both of our dads.

kblue
07-20-2007, 12:42 PM
well from your list i like Samantha and Daniel. For a boy i like Adam but for the girls i can't help...i don't know why but i'm not good at thinking up girls names. Totally understand the whole shortening of the names...you should also watch for the spelling too. My name is Kristine (with a K) and people always got that wrong when i was younger and spelled it with a CH. Then when i said it's with a K they would change the ending letters of my name to TEN instead of TINE i dunno why:scratchinghead:.

No one really called me Kris except for my dad and members of my Dads side of the family ONLY which is really weird...and whats more weird is that if somone is calling me Kris i won't turn around or even hear that person calling me unless its my dad or in a voice from someone on my dads side of the family...not that i'm being rude or ignoring them i'm just not paying attention and i just think someone name Chris is being called not me.

Shandeh
07-20-2007, 01:05 PM
I used to work with a girl named Kris, and her husband's name was Chris. They had the same last name, of course. The funny part was that they worked for the same company, and I was the receptionist. Whenever anyone called to ask to speak to them, I would say Mr or Mrs? They would be AMAZED every time. Ha!