PDA

View Full Version : Pet Peeves

kellyh57
07-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Okay, I don't know if I'm just extra irritable or people are just being extra stupid lately!

I was shopping at a local big box craft store the other day and really wanted to slap a lady. I was waiting in line at the register and since I was the 3rd person and the one at the register had a ton of stuff, they called another cashier. A couple of girls walked up behind me while waiting for the extra cashier. This lady came walking up with her hands full of stuff and followed the new cashier to her register- walking RIGHT through the line of us already waiting! I've got ONE small thing, two cranky kids, and had been waiting, but no, she thinks she's entitled to the register because she has her hands full. (Do you SEE those baskets/carts RIGHT over there???) She's laughing and carrying on with the girls behind me who had also followed her over. I was so frustrated. What happened to asking the next person in line to step over to the new register? Even if I had at that point, I would've been waiting even longer with all of the first lady's junk and the girls too!

Second incident, THAT day. I met my husband at a fast food restaurant for dinner. (Son has t-ball and I had to work so we have to eat quick.) We come in different doors and some lady and her daughter walked in behind Jon. They practically ran around him to get in line before us. Then, they discuss what to order for who and order about 6 meals while we wait behind them. They get done and head over to the pop/soda machine. The girl decides she needs to sip the fizz out of the top of her cup, fill it up again, sip some more fizz, fill it up again, arrange her lid just right, unwrap and put the straw in. Her mom finally came over and told her to move so we could get our drinks. (I'd been standing there patiently waiting with my 2 year old.) I just don't understand the need to get in line ahead of someone and then making up your mind what to order. I typically don't get in line unless I know what I'm ordering and don't make others wait for me to play with my drink.

Also, why the heck do people not use the sidewalk? I was driving down a fairly busy street and had to drive around some idiot running down the street a few feet away from a perfectly fine sidewalk. I see it ALL the time. What are sidewalks for if people can't walk/run on them??? I understand when there's a car parked over it (which seems to be the case on our street because of some idiot with extra fixer-uppers.) Or kids playing or toys in the way, but this is never the case when I have to stop or drive around them! (And they don't seem to care about the "facing traffic" rule either!)

Along the same line, why do bicycle riders think the stoplights don't apply to them? I've almost hit a few of them because they think that they are exempt from the laws. The most recent, I was turning left at a stoplight. He was coming from my right and saw me turning left so he could go through his intersection, except, I had to make room for him when he used half of my lane. Had I not been paying attention, I would've ran him over or at least knocked him down when he pulled up on my right side. Had he just obeyed the stoplight and waited, it would've been fine.

Just thought I'd vent here. I tell my husband but he just shrugs and blows me off....

Kelly

PaperGirl
07-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Late repairmen.

Greedy neighbor kids who hear my kids opening a popsicle outside and swarm them.

Inconsiderate neighbors who park their loud rumbling trucks in front of the house with windows down and crap rap blaring.

When the DJ on the radio goes off on a tangent, and wont tell me the name of the song they just played....

And idiots who BARK at my dog when Im taking him for a walk.

Dirty diapers in parking lots.

Hard plastic wrapping on merchandise that takes a chain saw to open.

And mommies who coddle their holy terror children and when my child makes one minor infraction, ...here she comes to rant and rave and holler at me! And then tell ME that their child would NEVER do such a thing.

People who pick their butts in PUBLIC.

zip
07-14-2007, 12:25 PM
California transit: :rollseyes:

Bicyclists use the sidewalk here. I've never seen this anywhere else in the US. One has to peer around buildings before turning a corner. It's absurd.

Motorcyclists are legally allowed to pass through traffic jams (between rows of idling cars!) on the freeway so as not to be overcome by fumes. ok, fine. That doesn't make it ok for one to go around me in a left-turn lane in the city when he and I are the only two vehicles.

marykz
07-14-2007, 12:27 PM
people who chew with their mouth open.

people who go to work sick, or send obviously sick and contagious kids to school.

people who park in emergency lanes at the grocery store instead of walking 15 feet to the open parking spaces. (and I mean perfectly healthy people- and there are at least 5 open spots.)

Clerks who can't calculate your change without a working register/ computer.

Road hogs/ tailgaters/ not using turn signals/ driving on the shoulder to avoid waiting in a backup.....

(sigh)

hugs for you Kelly! and Paper Girl!

kellyh57
07-14-2007, 02:22 PM
people who park in emergency lanes at the grocery store instead of walking 15 feet to the open parking spaces. (and I mean perfectly healthy people- and there are at least 5 open spots.)

Clerks who can't calculate your change without a working register/ computer.

I really hate it when the people are sitting IN the car waiting for somone in the store in the fire lane. Like they can't park and drive up when they see the person come out! They always seem to block the little dip for wheelchairs/carts/strollers too. I go RIGHT next to them if I'm pushing a cart and if I happen to touch the car, OOPS! I have the right of way!!!

Oh yeah....and the people that drive really fast so they don't have to wait for you to cross as you're coming out of the store. Argh!

As far as registers- I know how to count back change. I'm much better at that than trying to subtract and figure out the coins to go along with my number. (Young) people look at you like you have 3 heads when you count back to them!

Kelly

auburnchick
07-14-2007, 02:33 PM
Here are just a few ;)

People who honk at you the second the light turns green. This just happened while my daughter was driving us home from the grocery store. Remember that she just got her permit, and she's learning to drive a stick shift at the same time. I just about got out of my car...daughter was trying to calm me down. :teehee:

People who pick their nails in public.

Repetitive noises, such as tapping of pencils or the kicking of feet on bleachers or the back of my chair.

Phone menus that don't give you the option to speak to an operator.

Cuss words and sexual stuff in kid movies (or any movies for that matter).

Tacky holiday decorations.

Being bumped from a flight when you HAVE to be there today!

Going into a restroom stall and, after doing my business, discovering that there is no toilet paper!

Office gossip and fake niceness.

Soccer parents who yell at the players -- especially those who play "coach" on the sideline. I especially can't stand when people yell, "Pass the ball," at my daughter, who is an exceptional ball player and doesn't have to pass it every time (rec mentality)!

Kids who call me by my first name. I prefer "Ms Nathalie" since I grew up in the South.

People who don't leave feedback for me on Ebay! :wall:

Knitting_Guy
07-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Peeves make lousy pets.

As for the bicycle riders mentioned, I wish the cops would make more of an effort to stop and ticket them. As someone who uses only a bicycle for transportation when home from the road I am an advocate of vehicular cycling and morons like those do nothing to help our cause.

Bicycles are required to obey all of the same traffic laws as any other vehicle on the road and are subject to ticketing just the same.

If I had to name a peeve it would be automobile drivers who do not respect the rights of a bicyclist to use the roadways. I have been hit a couple of times and have had many near misses, always when I was riding exactly where I was supposed to be and obeying the traffic laws. My helmet has saved my skull more than once.

One of the happiest cycling days I had was last summer when some jerk passed so close by me that I could have washed his windshield for him. His mirror missed me by less than two inches. A local cop saw it and pulled him over for it. The law requires a car to not pass a cyclist on a two lane road until the oncoming lane is clear so they can move out to pass, just like passing another car. He got a ticket for it and I was quite happy.

IBAmyB
07-14-2007, 03:57 PM
I agree with most everyone:

My idiot neighbor who has 7 cars - 1 in the garage, 2 in the driveway, and 4 in front of his house/mine, and barely leaves me room to get in/out of my driveway! (Plus, the wife does daycare, so when people come to drop off/pick up their kids they park in front of my driveway so I can't leave! UGGGH!)

People who in front of the "Beverage House" (a local liquor store), in the fire lane, when the parking lot is 10 feet away but "everyone" parks in front of the store... and leaves their cars running. (Do they really need their booze THAT badly they can't take an extra 1 minute to park and turn off their car???)

Drivers who "stalk" you for your parking space (follow you from the store exit to your space.... and then get all upset when you don't leave the second you get in your car so they can take your spot)

People who curse in public like it's nothing - just part of everyday speech, especially when there are kids around!

auburnchick
07-14-2007, 04:26 PM
Just thought of more (boy, this feels so good...getting things off of your chest!) :teehee:...

Lingerie clerks who insist on asking another co-worker across the store (and loudly), "Roxanne, where do we keep the size A push-up bras?" And then they look at you very sympathetically. :oops:

Overbooked doctors -- Waiting in the doctor's waiting room for an hour past your appointment time, finally getting taken to a room, and waiting another 45 minutes for the doctor to come in.

Christmas ads that start before Halloween! Are you kidding me?

Hairdressers who offer conditioning (cause your hair feels like straw) and then charge you $25 for it, on top of the cut!

Friends who never call you first...you always have to be the one to call.

Stiney
07-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Pet Peeves: People. :teehee:

AmandaC
07-14-2007, 04:45 PM
People who mix up lose and loose ... eugh
here & hear
they're their there

oh and your you're

marykz
07-14-2007, 04:51 PM
I
As far as registers- I know how to count back change. I'm much better at that than trying to subtract and figure out the coins to go along with my number. (Young) people look at you like you have 3 heads when you count back to them!

Kelly

I do that too- it is so easy once you understnad it. Do they even teach that to kids anymore?

I forgot one- My inlaws..... :roflhard:

zip
07-14-2007, 04:55 PM
People who mix up lose and loose ... eugh
here & hear
they're their there

oh and your you're

definately...

;)

Knitting_Guy
07-14-2007, 05:00 PM
definately...

;)

:lol:

Let's not forget to and too as well.

I'm especially amused when someone corrects another's spelling in a post somewhere and misspells something in the process.

zip
07-14-2007, 05:05 PM
:lol:

Let's not forget to and too as well.

I'm especially amused when someone corrects another's spelling in a post somewhere and misspells something in the process.

http://www.dropline.net/cats/images/GrammarCat.jpg

Limey
07-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Elderly people who queue jump - think because they're old, they can forget basic good manners.

One old duck, who apparently was a chronic queue jumper, got told:"That's right dear, go in front of us - we've got lots more time than you have!"

Second hate is at a party or some such gathering, when a pompous twerp demands to know "And what do you do?"

I told the last genius who asked me this "About £200,000 a year - how's yourself?"

Could go on forever but I've got a rule for now - if I get more than my share of queue jumpers, cash point customers who take about 15 minutes to use the machine (usually outside in the pouring rain), kids screaming and shouting and generally swarming around while I have my 'quiet' cup of coffee - GO STRAIGHT HOME AND TO HELL WITH THE LOT OF IT AND THEM. IT'S JUST NOT WORTH THE AGGRO.

kellyh57
07-14-2007, 06:36 PM
Drivers who "stalk" you for your parking space (follow you from the store exit to your space.... and then get all upset when you don't leave the second you get in your car so they can take your spot)

I take extra long when someone does that. I have to get 2 kids buckled in anyway, but then I check the cell phone, my lists, coupon pile, or anything else just so I don't have to back out in the 2 1/2 feet of space they gave.

Oooh another one- idea/ideal confusion. An idea is a thought, ideal is a standard. Buying more yarn is a good idea, not ideal. There's a lady in another forum that's been corrected 3 times but still uses ideal instead of idea.

Kelly

KnitClickChick
07-14-2007, 06:52 PM
I forgot one- My inlaws..... :roflhard:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I can't stand when people are 10 feet from the cart return, and just leave the shopping cart in the empty parking space right beside them. I always make a remark when I see this, and put the stupid thing where it belongs, or if I need a cart I just say "Thanks for the cart!". I think that is really rude... the cart could roll into someone's car! I also can't stand seeing someone whip into a handicapped space, and when they get out there is clearly nothing wrong with them. I always make a remark about that too, like "Wow, I hope I have that much energy if I am ever handicapped!" I also hate when I have been waiting in 20 degree weather at the bus stop for 15 minutes, and the lady whose house is right in front of the bus stop, comes out when she sees the bus at the end of the street, and absolutely has to get on the bus in front of me. Go right ahead... I hear the frostbitten look is in this winter! I bit my tongue on that one for a long time, then one day, as she was hurrying to get on the bus, I just sped up and cut right in front of her. As I was walking back to get a seat, I heard her say to the driver "Boy, she's in a hurry isn't she?" No, you dim wit... I was waiting first, so I get on first. That's all that really bothers me. Most stuff, I just let roll off. I just laugh at people, makes me feel better than having my blood pressure go through the roof. :happydancing:

dmknits
07-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Also, why the heck do people not use the sidewalk? I was driving down a fairly busy street and had to drive around some idiot running down the street a few feet away from a perfectly fine sidewalk. I see it ALL the time. What are sidewalks for if people can't walk/run on them???
Kelly

Runners do this because asphalt is softer than concrete.

Lady Violet
07-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Christmas ads that start before Halloween! Are you kidding me?

you think that's bad? i was in michaels a couple of weeks ago and they already had christmas wreaths hanging way up on the wall in the back above the yarn! :hmm: sure, they get them in early, but do they really have to put them out in the store for us to see? isn't that why they have ginormous stock rooms anyway?!? :oo: i used to work in one of the big stores and of the many things that bugged me, that was one of the ones that bugged me the most. :gah:

Knitting_Guy
07-14-2007, 07:10 PM
Perhaps she thinks it's an ideal idea?

auburnchick
07-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Buying more yarn is a good idea, not ideal.

I think a lot of people here would argue that buying more yarn is an ideal. :roflhard:

auburnchick
07-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Another thing that just really bugs me is impatient people. I remember asking an employee at Joann's Fabrics (she was working the cash register and the only employee around to show me where a particular item was. There was a customer waiting to pay, but I had the attention of the employee first. The customer said something really rude to me. I was absolutely shocked at her audacity...my body was shaking. As I walked out of the store, I stopped and told the lady that her comment was extremely rude and I hoped she was happy that she had totally ruined my day.

I've never confronted a person like that before. I hope I shocked her.

cheesiesmom
07-14-2007, 08:35 PM
less and fewer

auburnchick
07-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Ignorance of the i before e rule

Typos in books -- argh...drives me nuts!

angel4ever
07-14-2007, 09:46 PM
Ill-mannered children (always makes me want to slap the parent)

People who have no manners when using their cell phones in public

People who chew with their mouth open

People who eat a full course meal while having a conversation on the telephone

People who bring young children (i.e 2-8 year olds) to a movie with a PG-13 or R rating

Parents who dress their children in designer clothing to go to PRESCHOOL then get upset when their child's clothing becomes messy

People who are cheap on purpose

People who must ALWAYS be the center of attention

People who know that you are married and constantly ask you, "When are you having children?"

People who know that you don't wear a weave or dye your hair but ask you, "Is that your real hair?" because you happen to be a woman of color...Yes, women of color can actually have long hair that is naturally a reddish brown!

Knitting_Guy
07-14-2007, 09:57 PM
Ill-mannered children (always makes me want to slap the parent)

Yep, I agree with this one 100%. Lazy parents.

People who must ALWAYS be the center of attention

Sorry, I just can't help myself. :shrug:

People who know that you don't wear a weave or dye your hair but ask you, "Is that your real hair?" because you happen to be a woman of color...Yes, women of color can actually have long hair that is naturally a reddish brown!

I just had to laugh out loud at this one. I have a good friend who is originally from Trinidad and she complains about this one on a regular basis. She is dark skinned and has beautiful long hair.

NinaT
07-14-2007, 10:49 PM
Teachers, and others who should know better, ending sentences with a preposition ("Where's it at?") That makes me CRAZY:hair: I try to teach my children correct grammar and then their teachers say this all of the time!

PaperGirl
07-14-2007, 11:07 PM
Just thought of more (boy, this feels so good...getting things off of your chest!) :teehee:...

Stuck up lingerie clerks who insist on asking another co-worker across the store (and loudly), "Roxanne, where do we keep the size A push-up bras?" And then they look at you very sympathetically. :oops:

:hair::hair: That is SO rude and embarassing! It happens to me all the time.

I hated when I was pregnant, people ASSUMED it was perfectly FINE to touch my belly. :fingerwag:
I got SOOOOOOOOOOOO mad at this guy one time...when he walked away...I grabbed his butt...and said...oh so sweetly..."Oh, you dont mind do you?"

debinoz
07-14-2007, 11:26 PM
People who complain about other people's education or lack thereof.....

People who complain or make snide remarks about other people when they don't even know them...

People who have no forgivness and patience for their fellow man....

Rorshach
07-15-2007, 01:30 AM
Teachers, and others who should know better, ending sentences with a preposition ("Where's it at?")

Well to be honest, Nina, there's absolutely nothing wrong with ending a sentence with a preposition. That mode of "proper" grammar is very outdated. It first came into existence by some people who believed English was less than Latin. So one must ask oneself, which would you rather have, clarity of thought, or proper speech?

Personally, That is the sort of thing up with which I will not put. (my apologies to Winston Churchill.)

KnittingNat
07-15-2007, 02:43 AM
People who complain about other people's education or lack thereof.....

People who complain or make snide remarks about other people when they don't even know them...

People who have no forgivness and patience for their fellow man....
I know waht you mean, but sometimes we are not able to be nice to everyone around and stand their attitude...
Today my boss was extra rude - i was telling him about annoying phonecall i got and while i was in the middle of the sentence, he just walked away, the rude b...d. So i came up to him and said that the next time he's telling me something, i'll walk away too. He just didn't reply. He's always telling me of other rude people and behaves just the same and then tells me with pride how rude are his children. I don't think that touching cars in the Ferrari museum, where it says not to, is a big achievement for his son and a father shouldn't be proud of such rude behaviour. I wish i could some day tell him that!

orcoastknitter
07-15-2007, 02:49 AM
Here are some of mine.......

My neighbor. She doesn't know how to drive. We live on a very windy narrow road. She MUST drive right smack dab in the middle. She hogs the road. If you see her coming just pull over and stop because you will end up in the ditch if you don't! One day I got behind her on my way to work. She was driving about 35 on the highway (which is 55). I ended up passing her. She was talking on her cell phone. By the time I parked my car at work and walked to the door she finally passed my office which was about 10 minutes from where I passed her. She is scary.:shock:

People who drive slow in the fast lane.:rollseyes:

Back when I commuted: The rubber neckers that would weave in out of a lane just to see what was happening. :rollseyes:

People who stand on the corner constantly pressing the button to cross the street. Hello! the traffic isn't going to stop just for you! (Yes, I have yelled that out my car window a few times). :shock:

My co-worker who instists on cleaning up my desk while I am working!

Rude sales people.

I know there are more... just can't think anymore tonight....

momwolf
07-15-2007, 07:53 AM
1-I wish people would take their dogs to the poop area or at least pick up after them
2-Car Insurance companies:grrr:-There are to many to list, but here are two -If you do not have insurance (because you sold your car) for 6 months and then get a car you automatically go on risk :tap: and now they can charge you by how good your credit is,what does credit have to do with how well you drive:hair:
3-Old people who can barely walk or move and are driving cars
4-Parents who dress their small children like teenagers
5-MIL insists on sending over baked goods when you tell her not to, because I don't need it and DH has high cholesterol
6-Not being able to talk to a LIVE person on phone when you need a simple question answered:hair:

misha rf
07-15-2007, 09:02 AM
I live in a town heavily populated with retirees. There are lots of folks who have no business being on the road, and yet, they're driving. Some of them can barely see over the wheel!!

I can't stand when people don't bother to straighten their cars out in parking lots, or park on corners so they obstruct the view.

People turning right on red who are so concerned with getting to turn that the neglect to see the pedestrian in the crosswalk (I once actully smacked someone's car to get the driver's attention--I figured better that than have him hit me).

Drivers who hold up traffic while looking for their turn, or almost cause an accident b/c they're about to drive past it. It's like turning around is illegal or something.

Someone mentioned not returning the carts to the collection thingie. Last week, we went to Lowe's. There was a cart in the stall right next to the return! And the return wasn't full!!!

Women who wear low-rise pants and short tops so the "muffin top" is on full display. Same with any pants where I can see your undies or your backside, whether or not you're bending over. :ick: I realize this makes me sound old and out-of-date, but I don't care. There are just some things that are better left unshown.

Rude shop owners.

People who abuse their animals/kids. And if the animals were never socialized, the rescuers have an incredibly difficult time handling/treating them. If the animal is lucky enough to end up in a no-kill location, then it'll have a place--otherwise, it's "unadoptable" and euthanized. (I spend a good portion of every Saturday with several animals that weren't socialized, and really want to tie their former "owners" outside with little to no human contact for months on end.)

PaperGirl
07-15-2007, 12:59 PM
Muffin Top! Hahahaha!

I have that "syndrome" and its awful, because buying jeans nowadays, its IMPOSSIBLE to find jeans that DONT ride 20 inches BELOW my navel.

So Im destined to take what I can get, and wear LONG shirts...

*sigh*

I hate current fashion.

Rorshach
07-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Look on the bright side, PaperGirl, you could be forced to wear bellbottoms again. :roflhard:

Lady Violet
07-15-2007, 01:53 PM
Women who wear low-rise pants and short tops so the "muffin top" is on full display. Same with any pants where I can see your undies or your backside, whether or not you're bending over. :ick: I realize this makes me sound old and out-of-date, but I don't care. There are just some things that are better left unshown.

trust me. you don't sound old and out-of-date. just human and normal. i hate being able to tell what kind of underwear someone is wearing because their pants are too tight. if i want to know, i'll ask. (never gonna happen, that's for sure! :shock:) maybe they don't realize that they're making their business everyone else's business. it's too bad someone (who knows them that they won't be offended by) doesn't just tell them. :rollseyes:

dreamsherl
07-15-2007, 02:09 PM
A society that has no respect for its aging population.
People that let the negative people in society ruin their day. I refuse to give them power over me.

orcoastknitter
07-15-2007, 04:01 PM
I live in a town heavily populated with retirees. There are lots of folks who have no business being on the road, and yet, they're driving. Some of them can barely see over the wheel!!

I live in a retirement town as well. I swear the older they get the bigger cars they drive.

ironmaiden
07-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Ooooh lately my biggest pet peeve is when people drop off passengers right in front of stores who are very clearly capable of walking from the parking lot. It's pure laziness and it's disgusting and blocks traffic.

(I make exceptions for rainy/inclement weather bc sometimes the driver is just trying to be nice, but in normal weather, SUCK IT UP AND WALK!)

auburnchick
07-15-2007, 05:29 PM
I will say that one thing I have learned is that sometimes people's handicaps often do not appear readily visible to regular people. There are many disorders that don't force sufferers to be in wheelchairs or walkers. I've always tried to remember this. Of course, you do have people who take advantage of the handicapped parking sticker, but I figure that's not my place to judge them.

zip
07-15-2007, 06:36 PM
I will say that one thing I have learned is that sometimes people's handicaps often do not appear readily visible to regular people. There are many disorders that don't force sufferers to be in wheelchairs or walkers. I've always tried to remember this. Of course, you do have people who take advantage of the handicapped parking sticker, but I figure that's not my place to judge them.

Yeah, that's true. Someone with a heart condition may exhibit no outward signs of a disability. I don't make assumptions regarding anyone who parks in a handicapped space.

zip
07-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Well to be honest, Nina, there's absolutely nothing wrong with ending a sentence with a preposition. That mode of "proper" grammar is very outdated. It first came into existence by some people who believed English was less than Latin. So one must ask oneself, which would you rather have, clarity of thought, or proper speech?

Personally, That is the sort of thing up with which I will not put. (my apologies to Winston Churchill.)

Some of the rules are outdated, and I agree that clarity is important. Questions such as "who'd you go with?" sound awkward when phrased in a grammatically correct manner.

But "where are you at?" is completely unacceptable, IMHO. Hearing it stated by anyone sets my teeth on edge; hearing it stated by a writer or a teacher is appalling. Beck's tune, Where It's At, is my only exception to this rule. :teehee:

kellyh57
07-15-2007, 08:58 PM
Parents who dress their small children like teenagers

Yeah. I think there should be a rule that if you don't want your daughter wearing that outfit when she's 16, don't put her in it when she's 6. There's a girl at the pool we go to that wears a string bikini and she's about 6 maybe. It's almost too small for her, but that's the way adults wear them, right. It's complete with these tiny little triangles that have slipped off of her "dots" a few times and she could care less. I just want to go wrap a towel around her and tell her to get something a little less revealing on before she gets molested on her way to the car!

Kelly

dakatzmeow
07-15-2007, 09:27 PM
i have many, but this one really irks me.
**disclaimer** i do not intend to offend any smokers here**

cars with handicap tags that have ashtrays full of cigarette butts lined up along the dashboard and back window. hello? think that might be why you have to have handicap tags?

people who DRIVE for someone who is handicapped, who park in a h/c spot, when the PERSON ISN'T EVEN WITH THEM! hello! (i live in a small town, so i know which of the partners is h/c and which is not.) park in a regular spot and leave it for someone who needs it!

i'll think of more later.

Knitting_Guy
07-15-2007, 10:16 PM
I will say that one thing I have learned is that sometimes people's handicaps often do not appear readily visible to regular people. There are many disorders that don't force sufferers to be in wheelchairs or walkers.

Thanks for that, I am one of them. Between a bad back and a very bad hip walking is very painful for me at times and on those days when I can't ride my bike to the store my ride drops me off at the entrance.

It may not be obvious to anyone watching as I do my best to walk as normally as possible and not show my pain, but that doesn't mean I need to be walking across the parking lot to get into the store.

Yeah I am one of those healthy looking people that you might sometimes see riding in the little electric shopping cart thingies. It's not all of the time or even most of the time but yeah I do have those days.

dakatzmeow
07-15-2007, 10:21 PM
another example of an invisible h/c is people with bad heart rhythms.(sorry, i'm a cardiac nurse. ;)) i know of a patient, mid 40-ish, that has a TERRIBLE heart rhythm. she looks young and healthy, but she can't walk more than a few feet right now. :(

Knitting_Guy
07-15-2007, 10:27 PM
cars with handicap tags that have ashtrays full of cigarette butts lined up along the dashboard and back window. hello? think that might be why you have to have handicap tags?

So that person with MS, or who had a spinal injury got that way from smoking?

I don't intend to be mean spirited here but that's an assumption you shouldn't be making and a judgement in which you shouldn't be engaging. There are a LOT of reasons a person may be handicapped that have nothing at all to do with smoking.

My doctor has been trying to get me to get a handicapped parking permit for a couple of years now and I have stubbornly refused and my physical problems have nothing at all to do with the fact that I used to smoke unless smoking somehow causes black ice to appear on the roads.

zazzu
07-15-2007, 10:36 PM
I think it's funny how many posters noted bad behavior in Michael's or Jo-Ann's. To me, something about those two stores just forces obnoxious behavior out of people. :lol:

My biggest pet peeve....when people say they "could care less" instead of they "couldn't care less". Really, if you could care less, then you must care somewhat, right? If you don't care at all then you couldn't care less.

Cool thread. :)

NinaT
07-16-2007, 01:43 AM
Some of the rules are outdated, and I agree that clarity is important. Questions such as "who'd you go with?" sound awkward when phrased in a grammatically correct manner.

But "where are you at?" is completely unacceptable, IMHO. Hearing it stated by anyone sets my teeth on edge; hearing it stated by a writer or a teacher is appalling. Beck's tune, Where It's At, is my only exception to this rule. :teehee:
Thanks Zip!

Rorshach, They may have relaxed the rigid "no prep at end of sentence rule," but the sentence "Where's it at?" is absolutely grammatically incorrect. The only way to make it correct is to drop the at.

mel.b
07-16-2007, 02:38 AM
I can't stand it when people say "I done that". It's not DONE, it's did. Arggghhh, it grates on me everytime and I bite my tongue so I don't correct them! Another one I hate when I'm reading is advice/advise (as in posts that say "Advise needed"). Advise is what you do...advice is what you want.

People who don't use their blinkers at round-abouts also bug me and when people tell you they will call or do something one a certain day but then don't - I hate waiting! (I shouldn't complain about this one as I do it too!)

Otherwise I think I'm a pretty tolerant person.

Oh and I think spitting, nose blowing on the street (without a tissue) and eating with your mouth open is just gross too but these are cultural things so I accept them.

Mel.b

ironmaiden
07-16-2007, 07:11 AM
My biggest pet peeve....when people say they "could care less" instead of they "couldn't care less". Really, if you could care less, then you must care somewhat, right? If you don't care at all then you couldn't care less.

Cool thread. :)

OMG this is a huge one for me! It drives me nuts.

auburnchick
07-16-2007, 09:06 AM
Oh and I think spitting, nose blowing on the street (without a tissue) and eating with your mouth open is just gross too but these are cultural things so I accept them.

:ick::ick::ick:

I do not think that is a cultural thing. Eeeewwwww...it's just plain gross!

Kaydee
07-16-2007, 10:14 AM

Yes, I agree with this. My mom has rheumatory arthritis and is in constant pain even though it doesn't always appear like she has a problem. She's had 2 surgeries on her feet where they've broken all her toes and reshaped them and after the first she got a handicapped sticker. She doesn't always use it but if there's no spots available she will because its hard for her to walk far from the car.

Anyway, a few of my pet peeves:

I canít stand when people make things plural that arenít supposed to be like, ďLook at alls the peopleĒ

Double negatives: I donít got none. Actually if you donít got none then you do have some.

Using the word ainít

Older women who think they can dress like 20 year olds. Not to offend anyone, but just because something is in style doesnít mean that everyone should be wearing it.

The other end of that is young girls who dress provocative. Youíre 14 and donít need to be showing your butt because your shorts are so short and your tummy because youíre wearing a tiny top. Where are these kidsí parents?

Kids with cell phones, why do they really need them? I know parents want to stay in touch with the kids but what did we do before our 10 year olds had cell phones. Most of these kids are using them to talk/text their friends anyway. Keep a quarter with you and you should be fine.

People who tail cars that are already going over the speed limit. How much faster are you going to go in a 25mph zone when the car in front of you is already going 35?

dreamsherl
07-16-2007, 01:42 PM
I think that everyone in our society should try not to be so judgmental and a bit more tolerant of one another. We never know what is going on in a person's life.

threesmom
07-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Peeves ... so many, so little time....

I hate that I have to hem petite pants, and that capri's look like regular pants on me.

People who pull out RIGHT in front of you, and there isn't a soul behind you ... then go SLOW!!!:hair:

People being loud and obnoxious on cell phones.

Children on cell phones - I saw a girl, no more than 8 or 9, dressed much older, at the GROCERY store, with her mom, chatting away to obviously her "BFF" ....

The telemarketers who call at dinner time and on holidays!

People who look at my kids as if they are misbehaving, when they are only acting like kids. I'll be the first to admit my kids are not perfect, but they are polite, and normally pretty well behaved. Are they going to get a little loud when we've been waiting 45 minutes for our appetizer? Yes, they are children.

And speaking of children, the people who thought it was okay to make snide remarks about how close our kids were in age when I was pregnant. Like, "Don't you know how that happens yet?" or "Do you need another hobby?"

Rude sales people - I always try to be annoyingly nice to them!

People who always think they know the absolute right way to do things (funny, this sounds JUST like my MIL:teehee:).

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-16-2007, 05:02 PM
I have many pet peeves. I've come to the conclusion that most people I interact with are socially inept morons. However, I do have a few specific ones:

People not being able to make a decision. If I ask "what do you want to do, where do you want to eat, what do you think" it means I *really* want your opinion. i hate it when people say, "Oh whatever you want to do" or "i don't care"

teenagers at the movie theater, especially in groups, who are texting, getting up and down, talking and just generally being annoying. I didn't pay 8 bucks to have my experience ruined by some brat kids who can't shut the hell up for 2 hours.

People cruising in the passing lane.

People with tiny dogs in rhinestones and bows in a puppy purse. Hello, no one in the world cares about how cute (you think) your dog is.

ETA: i just thought of another one. People who say "spitting image" instead of "spit and image"

auburnchick
07-16-2007, 05:39 PM
I hate that I have to hem petite pants, and that capri's look like regular pants on me.

This is something I so identify with! I hate having to spend major $$ for pants to fit properly! Don't clothes manufacturers realize that there are a few small people out there? :wall:

ironmaiden
07-16-2007, 05:53 PM
I've never heard anyone say "spit and image" - I honestly don't understand that one.

One of my pet peeves is when people try to make you feel bad about venting :D. Venting helps people - being able to get it out makes it less likely to come out in the heat of the moment :D.

jjminarcik
07-16-2007, 06:53 PM
Here are a few of my pet peeves:

Bagpipes at funerals (I know it can be a heritage thing, but I just can't stand them!)

People who have no regard for other people, whether it be neighbors playing music too loud, driving the grocery buggy reckless, judging others for things they can't help. . . I could go on forever, I think you get my drift.

When DH leaves the lights on all over the house and then complains our electric bill is too high!

Cruelty to animals. I don't believe there is any excuse for this.

I also agree with what someone said earlier - the way teenagers dress improperly. Some of the clothes are really cute, but GEEZ! is it really necessary to wear that to the mall??

auburnchick
07-16-2007, 07:37 PM
I've never heard anyone say "spit and image" - I honestly don't understand that one.

A quick google search on this brought up the following from this (http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxspitan.html) website (sorry, but I'm so used to doing research and citing my sources for my college classes):

These phrases mean "exact likeness". "Spitting image" is first
recorded in 1901; "spit and image" is a bit older (from the late
19th century), which seems to refute the explanation "splitting
image" (two split halves of the same tree). An older British
expression is "He's the very spit of his father", which Eric
Partridge, in his Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English
(Routledge, 1950) traces back to 1400: "He's ... as like these as
th'hads't spit him." Other languages have similar expressions;
e.g., the French say C'est son pere tout crache = "He is his
father completely spat." Alternative explanations are "so alike
that even the spit out of their mouths is the same"; "speaking
likeness"; and a corruption of "spirit".

Stiney
07-16-2007, 09:14 PM
ETA: i just thought of another one. People who say "spitting image" instead of "spit and image"

A quick google search on this brought up the following from this (http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxspitan.html) website (sorry, but I'm so used to doing research and citing my sources for my college classes):

These phrases mean "exact likeness". "Spitting image" is first
recorded in 1901; "spit and image" is a bit older (from the late
19th century), which seems to refute the explanation "splitting
image" (two split halves of the same tree). An older British
expression is "He's the very spit of his father", which Eric
Partridge, in his Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English
(Routledge, 1950) traces back to 1400: "He's ... as like these as
th'hads't spit him." Other languages have similar expressions;
e.g., the French say C'est son pere tout crache = "He is his
father completely spat." Alternative explanations are "so alike
that even the spit out of their mouths is the same"; "speaking
likeness"; and a corruption of "spirit".

Whereas linguist Larry Horn thinks it was originally "spitten image." (http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/english/332/spitting-image). I immediately headed over to the Language Log (http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/) after reading that, because it sounded like an eggcorn to me, but they only have two hits for "spitting image" and don't discuss it in either. :shrug:

misha rf
07-16-2007, 10:28 PM
People who think their turn signals are optional. They come standard on your vehicle for a reason!

People who complain about the kids in the library. The kids have every right to be in there, and often the older people are just as loud--they shout b/c they can't hear well.

zip
07-16-2007, 11:26 PM
... Language Log (http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/%7Emyl/languagelog/) ...

:inlove: Thank you for the link! It's been too long since I've surfed grammar blogs.

PaperGirl
07-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Look on the bright side, PaperGirl, you could be forced to wear bellbottoms again. :roflhard:

I never wore them the first time! My mother will swear up and down, and show you *obviously fake* pictures....but shes lying. :roflhard:

I also hate flared jeans that hang halfway to the bottom of your foot...where you have no CHOICE but to walk on them, thus ruining the edge. :ick:

Rorshach
07-17-2007, 06:29 PM
Rorshach, They may have relaxed the rigid "no prep at end of sentence rule," but the sentence "Where's it at?" is absolutely grammatically incorrect. The only way to make it correct is to drop the at.

Yup, I would agree, though they would need to drop the contraction and the preposition to make it semantically correct. But they way I figure it is, if the person is able to make him or herself understood, then why the quiddity?

msoebel
07-18-2007, 12:16 PM
And speaking of children, the people who thought it was okay to make snide remarks about how close our kids were in age when I was pregnant. Like, "Don't you know how that happens yet?" or "Do you need another hobby?" .

I'm afraid that I would say something completely inappropriate and embarassing like, "Well, my dh and I got rid of the TV in our bedroom , so we are making it like monkeys every day now." Or I might lean over, grab dh's cute little bum and say "Can you blame me?" with a big wink.

I bet they wouldn't ask anyone else that every again!

My pet peeve:

-On the airplane, when I am sitting in coach and the person in front of my reclines their seat back, diminishing my already lacking leg room. If I was flying at night, or a long flight, I could understand. But my flights are in the 2 hours or less time range.

-When people make racial jokes. Yes, I got it. No, it's not funny.

-People driving in the fast or pass lane on the highway. If you aren't passing traffic, get over. Someone else might be trying to come through. Double points for the idiots who pull up next to someone in the other lane and then go the SAME speed as them, so you are stuck behind these cars and can't get around them.

-People who do not pull over for ambulances or stop for buses.

Misty

zazzu
07-18-2007, 02:14 PM
Bagpipes at funerals (I know it can be a heritage thing, but I just can't stand them!)

I don't like bagpipes either. But what I REALLY hate at funerals? Cell phones ringing in the middle of the eulogy. At the last funeral I attended, three cell phones rang during the Pastor's very moving tribute. It was disgraceful and the Pastor was obviously annoyed. :(

Kaydee
07-18-2007, 03:50 PM
I don't like bagpipes either. But what I REALLY hate at funerals? Cell phones ringing in the middle of the eulogy. At the last funeral I attended, three cell phones rang during the Pastor's very moving tribute. It was disgraceful and the Pastor was obviously annoyed. :(

Ugh, that is horrible. It happened at my grandfather's funeral, my cousin's mom's (she's divorced from my uncle) phone rang. I was so pissed but my cousin who was sitting next to me was even more mad. He turned around and glared at her. She then proceded to turn off the phone which makes a very loud sound. People who have zero cell phone etiquette really irk me, I mean seriously you can't turn off your phone for an hour when you're at an important event?

auburnchick
07-18-2007, 04:39 PM
The same goes for church. I used to attend a large, weekly women's Bible study. After small groups, everyone would gather in the sanctuary for the main lesson. Despite the announcement each week, someone's phone would ALWAYS go off. That is very distracting! :wall:

misha rf
07-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Absolutely. And I get po'd when people ignore the reminders they play at the beginning of movies (in the theater) or the announcements they make before a performance starts. I didn't shell out $$$ to hear cell phones ringing--or people talking on them.

I've also got issues with people who don't get sitters. Before those of you with kids gang up on me, please hear me out! I'm not talking about people taking their kids out to restaurants or shopping, etc. I'm talking about places where kids aren't on the guest list (so to speak). Say, "adult" parties. People are there to have a good time (with adult beverages), not to amuse a 5 yr old. Or board meetings. How much attention can you pay to what's going on in the meeting if you're chasing your child around the room? Not to mention the distraction to everyone else. (I've experienced both of these situations.)

jjminarcik
07-19-2007, 12:46 AM
Okay, I agree - cell phones ringing is extremely distracting!!!

I just thought of another pet peeve:

Cell phones ringing :tap:

Susan P.
07-19-2007, 08:08 AM
Not read all replies but things that drive me mad...

Sniffling near me that does NOT stop and that clearly needs a blow of the nose. arrggghhhh
Loud chewing. I also dislike loud gum chewers. arrgggghhh
Ticking clocks.

Actually, any noise that is repetitive and that once I hear I cannot get away from really can unnerve me after a while. I cannot sleep in a room with a ticking clock. I've even hauled out of bed in a hospital room and taken a clock off a wall, wrapped a blanket around it and shoved it in a cupboard :)

I dislike people leaving their shopping trolley in front of me at a checkout like I am beholden to move it for them.

People with hands free mobiles who talk loudly next to you and make you wonder for a moment whether they are talking to you or not. I also dislike mobile phone users assuming everyone in the vicinity needs to or wants to listen to their half of the conversation. I'll add also people talking in doctors rooms on their phones when they clearly know the phone being on can affect certain monitoring equipment. That is plain ignorant.

Has anyone ever wondered why, unless of course someone is waiting for a really important call, someone you ring simply HAS to take a second call coming in and make you wait even though you were half way responding to a question of theirs? As I said, I can understand something urgent but then to my mind good manners dictates that you flag this possibility with your first caller. Don't just dump someone for a minute just because you can't stand not being available! :)

Susan P.
07-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Heh.. I read back. I like bagpipes and particularly in a high vaulted church. The cranking up of the sound can be horrid for a moment but once they are in flight I love it.

In Australia we say the "spitting image of" meaning of course that the person being referred to could 'almost' be a twin of another.

One phrase you say opposite to us in England/Australia is:
"I couldn't care less". This is what we say.
US folk tend to say "I could care less"
That's never quite made sense to me but perhaps it's context based. Our phrase means "I don't care at all". Your phrase seems to me to say "I care but I could care a little less than I do"
:) Interesting how these differences come about.

Then again I sometimes hear phrase changes simply because a person has never quite heard what the original phrase was and so has adapted it. Can't think of an example offhand.

Stiney
07-19-2007, 08:46 AM
One phrase you say opposite to us in England/Australia is:
"I couldn't care less". This is what we say.
US folk tend to say "I could care less"
That's never quite made sense to me but perhaps it's context based. Our phrase means "I don't care at all". Your phrase seems to me to say "I care but I could care a little less than I do"
:) Interesting how these differences come about.

Then again I sometimes hear phrase changes simply because a person has never quite heard what the original phrase was and so has adapted it. Can't think of an example offhand.

This is one of those times, actually. It IS supposed to be "couldn't care less." :shrug: I'm guilty of saying "could care less," but that's because I talk way too fast. (I talk fast compared to most other East Coasters, so that's saying something. :teehee:)

Something that bugs me: "Irregardless." No, it's not irregardless. That's a double negative, and means the exact opposite of what you think it means. ("Inconceivable!" "You keep using that word. I do no think it means what you think it means.") You mean "Regardless."

Susan P.
07-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Stiney.. Some words come into such popular usage the reality of what those words mean (the double negative) falls away. Unravel is a classic example and debone. I'm guess if we thought the matter through we'd find loads of examples. I say unravel all the time :) If I said "ravel" everyone I know would naturally question the usage.

zazzu
07-19-2007, 08:00 PM

Yeah, the "could care less" vs. "couldn't care less" is one. Another one is "It always ceases to amaze me". What? It always stops amazing you? Of course, they mean "it never ceases to amaze me" but people have bad habit of using phrases that they don't understand at all.

Oh, and people who say "irregardless" need a good smack! And if they say "could care less" too they need to be put in jail forever!! :lol:

syndactylus
07-19-2007, 08:13 PM
I always thought I could care less was meant to be sarcastic.
But that could be because I'm from NY.

One of my biggest pet peeves is all the crap masquerading as real food in Boston, and the people who'd insist on their deathbeds it's actually good.

Kaydee
07-20-2007, 09:36 AM
One of my biggest pet peeves is all the crap masquerading as real food in Boston, and the people who'd insist on their deathbeds it's actually good.

Like the pizza? Ugh, pretty much all of the pizza I've had here has been horrible, it has this thick crust and about an inch thick of cheese! I'm orginally from the New Haven, CT area and we have great pizza there.

Sharly
07-20-2007, 02:45 PM
I agree with most everyone, (especially you, Zip), and I have a few to add.

The word "anyways". That makes my skin crawl.:doh:

Smoking right at the entrance to a building. It's not neccessarily the smoker's fault - most places put the ashtrays right at the door. That forces us to walk through a haze of smoke to get in (to work in my case).:ick:

People who don't spay/neuter pets that aren't for breeding purposes, and don't/can't find homes for them. Guess why I have 9 cats? x-(

kellyh57
07-20-2007, 04:22 PM
Another one (going along with the wall of smoke you have to go through to get into buildings): Cigarette Butts! I hate watching someone put out their cigarette and just throwing it on the sidewalk and stomping it out (if they are that generous). And then there's those people that think it's okay to empty out the ashtray when they get out of the car in any old parking lot. It's SO lovely to step in a pile of butts when you get out of the car! Or those who throw them out the car window to bounce of my car and scare me half to death (What WAS that flaming thing on my hood???). When will people realize that litter is litter no matter how big and lit cigarettes can cause fires! If you must smoke, be respectful of those around you and please dispose of your butts appropriately! Ick.

Kelly

auburnchick
07-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Another pet peeve (that I often suffer from)...

slow computers!

Drives me nuts! :wall: