PDA

View Full Version : WIP - First sweater

redheadrachel
07-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Hey everyone. I'm working on my first sweater and wanted to get some opinions and stuff. I've never knit anything that I had to check and be so careful of gauge, and it's really stressing me out.

I'm supposed to have 14 sts for 4" on size 10s, but 10s ended up being way too small to get gauge. I have about 15 - 15 1/2 sts for 4" on size 10.5s, but I can't use 11s because they're 1.5mm larger! So I've just been trying to knit loosely with the 10.5s - do you think that gauge difference will be okay once I've knit it up and blocked it? Anyhow, here's a picture of what I started (the back of the cardigan) and wanted to get opinions on gauge etc. before I continue. I'm also including a picture of the reverse side of the stockinette, because now that I knit continental, I have even knits and purls, so no funky little spaces between the ridges. Just nice and even. Thanks KnittingHelp.com! :lol: lol
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/RedheadRachel/100_0987.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/RedheadRachel/100_0989.jpg

Braden
07-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Yay! You started it! It looks great, and you should be fine with gauge.

suzeeq
07-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Yes, the 10.5s should be fine; you may even loosen up a bit as you go along too, so you don't have to consciously knit looser.

The difference in sizes betweens the 10.5s (6.5 mm) and 11s (8mm) bothered me for a long time. Then I discovered the metric sizes in between 7 and 7.5mm. Yay! Love those sizes....

Krystal
07-15-2007, 03:46 PM
beautiful colour. What pattern are you doing?

redheadrachel
07-15-2007, 03:48 PM
It's very very very loosely based on the Cropped Cardigan pattern for Lionbrand homespun. But I'm using stockinette stitch with ribbed border instead of broken rib over the whole thing. And I'm using 50% wool, 50% llama from Cascade instead of (shudders) the 98% acrylic, 2% polyster the pattern calls for. Gross!!! lol

AussieYank
07-15-2007, 10:08 PM
Brave, brave girl! I always said I just wanted to learn to knit to do "flat stuff" for friends, but reading these posts has put that little bit of sweater envy in. I admire your venture out into the world of sweaters. Great job so far!!

redheadrachel
07-15-2007, 10:44 PM
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the great support and feedback you all always give.

At the suggestion of the knitting teacher at my LYS, I ended up frogging and doing it on 11s. I was afraid they'd be waaay to huge, but after doing about as much as I had done in the above picture, I keep checking the gauge everywhere and I'm exactly at 14 stitches per 4"! I was getting afraid that I wasn't a good enough knitter to ever get what I'm supposed to for a gauge, as this was my first time, but I just had to use larger needles and be patient. But I'm going to keep updating with pictures and everything.

I can't believe I'm making a sweater!!!! woohoo!