PDA

View Full Version : cables on socks

Mulderknitter
07-15-2007, 05:44 PM
So I have started my first real sock pattern, it's the Uptown Boot sock pattern from Favorite Socks. the first 2 1/2 inches are just 2x2 ribbling, no big deal. but then I got to the pattern and there are cable rows, which I'm dealing with, but wow! Working on 4 metal size 2 dpns with a cable needle and sock yarn?????? So far they are turning out pretty darn nice though. I'm using KP essential sock yarn in red and using their new sock dpn set. Very pleased overall, the yarn is nice and soft, and I'm getting the hang of the slippery metal dpns better than I thought I would:thumbsup: All if have to say is at least the sock yarn isn't splitty!:ick:

Knitting_Guy
07-15-2007, 07:53 PM
Sounds like the makings of some very nice socks.

Mulderknitter
07-15-2007, 08:11 PM
ah, knitting guy, you are part of my sock inspiration! you finished one before me so I must compete!:muah:

Knitting_Guy
07-15-2007, 08:15 PM
Well you've beat me to cabled socks :rofling:

I'm still tackling the Irish hiking scarf. With the move to a new house I haven't made a lot of progress on it.

auburnchick
07-15-2007, 09:00 PM
Try this (http://www.grumperina.com/knitting.htm) link for cabling without a cable needle. Scroll down near the bottom of the page. You'll see two different links for how to do cables in the back and cables in the front. It might make your project a little easier.

redheadrachel
07-15-2007, 09:05 PM
Wow, that sounds amazing! I have recently become addicted to knitting socks, and I already loved cables: sounds like I have a new future project! Way to dive in to such an ambitious project - great job! :D

Mulderknitter
07-16-2007, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the link to the tutorial! bit scared by the stitches hanging in midair for a sec, but I'll have to try it anyway!

scubasinger
07-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Mulderknitter...Yeah, the stitches hanging in midair scare me a bit, too. Haven't tried it yet and I certainly don't plan on trying it with sock yarn on tiny neeedles. I'm planning of starting a cabled scarf next and might try the technique on that project. My mantra: practice on big stuff before you do it on the small stuff.

And regarding the original topic of cables on small yarn/needles: I agree...NOT for the faint-of-heart. I'm currently doing a somewhat complicated cable pattern on socks using #0 dpns....I'd say it calls for a drink, but that would make my coordination worse.