PDA

View Full Version : Excuses Excuses

jumboneedle
07-16-2007, 11:45 AM
What's the best one you've heard for not wanting to learn how to knit?

Jan in CA
07-16-2007, 11:46 AM
"I'm not patient enough to knit" :roll:

Braden
07-16-2007, 11:50 AM
"I would never have the time to knit" :rollseyes:

debinoz
07-16-2007, 12:03 PM
"I'm not that coordinated."

My response: "You used to not be able to tie your shoes either, but I see you manage that okay now."

Braden
07-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Or, "I could never do that!"

marykz
07-16-2007, 12:11 PM
"I could never find the time. I'm too busy with X, Y, Z." usually said with a condescending look, as if I must be really pathetic if I don't have X, Y And Z filling up every spare moment and have latched on to knitting in desperation. (grrr)

I've heard the one about not being coordinated too. as if knitting is magic or something!

Chel
07-16-2007, 12:15 PM
"I don't think thats something that fits into who I am."

So what are you saying? You aren't intelligent? Creative? A good person? Everyone I know who knits is all 3 of those.

Riss
07-16-2007, 12:28 PM
I used to use "I've tried... I just can't figure it out..."

But that was before I had some motivation and this website :muah:

candicane
07-16-2007, 12:37 PM
I think everyone is entitled to their own hobbies/interests. Not everyone wants to learn how to knit and that does not make them less creative. Their are many hobbies that I have no interest in either (ship modeling comes to mind).

Also, there are many people that just don't have the patience or coordination. I think it IS a valid excuse.

snowbear
07-16-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm allergic to Wool!

which I reply.. really? Aren't you glad there's now cotton, bamboo, silk.. so many wonderful other fibers.. which would you like to choose 1st to use?

:roflhard:

I know.. I'm bad

jumboneedle
07-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Just a quick disclaimer, this wasn't meant to be a knock on those who produce these excuses. But, there is a big difference between someone who really is not coordinated enough to knit, and someone who doesn't want to challenge him/herself. I think everyone feels uncoordinated the first time they knit, but, like any other skill, it takes practice to get used to it.

Knitting_Guy
07-16-2007, 01:14 PM
"I'm not patient enough to knit" :roll:

That's the one I've heard the most.

Jan in CA
07-16-2007, 01:23 PM
I think everyone is entitled to their own hobbies/interests. Not everyone wants to learn how to knit and that does not make them less creative. Their are many hobbies that I have no interest in either (ship modeling comes to mind).

Also, there are many people that just don't have the patience or coordination. I think it IS a valid excuse.

I think we all know that and understand it. It was only a request for responses we've had and was in no way intended to say that everyone should learn to knit.

Let's be careful not to turn this into anything, but what it is. ;)

G J
07-16-2007, 01:36 PM
That's the one I've heard the most.
me too.

mari_13
07-16-2007, 01:50 PM
It looks so difficult!

kellyh57
07-16-2007, 03:23 PM
That stuff is so old-lady looking! (In my classroom at Michaels, the old lady that teaches knitting now has some UGLY samples up!)

Kelly

suecq
07-16-2007, 03:42 PM
My SIL asked me to teach her to knit. After some time she was still very nervous and afraid to do the wrong thing. Thinking to help her relax and enjoy the task I said,"Don't worry so much about making a mistake. There is nothing that can't be fixed or just frogged back past the mistake." She said,"You'd do all this work and then just rip it out?" I replied, "Yes, if there was a mistake, no big deal."

She put down the needles and said, "Well, this is just not for me." She has still not attempted knitting again and I still can't figure out what I said wrong. This is one talented lade too. She is a wiz with a sewing machine and her home looks like a magazine layout.

knottyknitter
07-16-2007, 05:37 PM
My son said to me "No way, that's for girls" and dddh said " He was good with the cross stitch, he didn't need another hobby."

Ladybug Lady
07-16-2007, 05:48 PM
"I could never sit still that long; I'd be so BORED!"

:rollseyes:

Hazelgil
07-16-2007, 05:56 PM
Looking through all those responses has really made me smile, cose if i thought like that i'd have never even picked up the needles :)

I've got dyslexia and dyspraxia, which means i have a short attention span and my co-ordination isn't that good, but if i can do it then surely other people can.
That's the great thing about knitting, it helps to focus you and increase concentration plus also helps with counting and stuff. I know somedays i don't feel like knitting but most of the time i'd been boucing off the walls without it as it's a form of stress relief etc.

I understand some people just don't have the patience, but i get bored doing nothing so it gives me something to do whilst sitting at the comp or chatting or watching t.v

Hazel x

mulene
07-17-2007, 05:49 AM
My SIL who used to knit many years ago, said to me recently in a very bitter sounding voice "wish I had the time to sit around on my arse and knit"

I mean.. :shock: I do NOT sit around on my arse and knit at all, when I knit its in the car waiting to get out of the car park (takes on average half an hour on a bad night 2 hours), watching TV, while cooking (yep I do) - I bought a Go Knit pouch and its GREAT for knitting on the go!

The "I couldn't do that I don't have the patience" is another regular excuse I hear - I am SO tempted sometimes to say to certain people "Yep I can see that" in response ;)

marykz
07-17-2007, 09:55 AM
My SIL who used to knit many years ago, said to me recently in a very bitter sounding voice "wish I had the time to sit around on my arse and knit"

yeah- that's exactly the attitude I get from other Moms with Young Children. As if I must have a magic fairy doing all the other things in my life so I can sit on my behind and be lazy and knit. Um no. I just multitask really well. (sigh)

BostonBecca
07-17-2007, 10:01 AM
That's just people wishing they were as awesome as you women who take the time to do something you love. They might want to learn and not have the ability to just up and ask you to teach them or they might be feeling stressed because of working and kids or something going on in their home lives. That's tough, but at least we have a hobby that makes us happy and anyone who wants to criticize you for that, well, it's their issue.

I have heard that it looked too hard/too complex.

If I can do it, anyone can.

cds11
07-19-2007, 10:23 PM
My mom tried telling me that she was forced to learn to knit as a child (brownies or something like that?) and she said it was way too stressful and she would never try to learn again. You should have heard her when I was saying I wanted to learn to knit (she was all "Why?" "That's an old lady thing to do" and stuff... I shot back with "Can't you just be happy I want to learn a new skill?". She has since gotten better after seeing my FO's). Now she just thinks I like it because it's "mathematical" and I'm good at math.... She hates math... Other than that I haven't really tried to get too many people to knit...

Mulderknitter
07-19-2007, 10:33 PM
all i can say is that I didn't think i had the patience, but was forced into learning by an illness that I needed distraction from. The illness is under control, the addiction to knitting continues. Maybe those that can't or don't have the patience for knitting would enjoy other creative activities, c'mon, we can be enablers of other crafts too!:muah:

redheadrachel
07-19-2007, 10:44 PM
I'm not crafty, I don't have time, and I'm not patient. Just the usuals. But honestly, I never thought I was crafty, I've found ways to make time, and it's increased by patience tenfold :D